Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

My current favorites are Dynasty Warriors 3 and 5 for PS2, DW8:XL for whatever system you like, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 for PS4, Hyrule Warriors for the Switch, Fire Emblem Three Hopes for the Switch. So much fun.

Honorable mention to DW7 for doing a great job with the story of RoTK. If you just want to understand the overall events, that’s a great one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Morter posted:

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes is good the first, maybe 2nd time around.

No kidding. I'm onto 5th playthrough to go for full completion and jeez is it a slog. Still need to get 12 more combat arts for the 100 combat arts, and a bunch of levelling for the 70,99, and 120 achievements and I am getting somewhat annoyed about how the weapon upgrading works. Having to unlock them upgrade repeatedly on separate menu options sucks honestly.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i really liked three hopes my first time, but i abandoned my second run halfway through. i can't articulate why exactly, i'd still describe it as a very good musou game but...yeah. something about it just made me want to stop suddenly.

i wish they'd put samurai warriors 4 and also empires on steam, it's weird to me that they're missing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is it worth playing Three Hopes if you're extremely unlikely to ever get around to playing Three Houses first.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Is it worth playing Three Hopes if you're extremely unlikely to ever get around to playing Three Houses first.

Three Houses will give you more context for what's going on, but Three Hopes stands alone well enough.

Its definitely not something you'd want to play again right away either, there's just not enough variety in movesets compared to most musou games.

But if you really want a good musou on switch, go for Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, it's got so much more content and variety.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

it's not as foolish as trying to play p5 strikers without playing p5 first, since it's more of an alternate universe "what if" than a sequel and iirc, they try to characterize all the uh, characters within the game itself instead of just assuming you already know who they are and what their deal is, so I say go for it if the game looks fun. The characters will mean less to you probably if you aren't already familiar with them from 3h but there are so many, it probably doesn't make that much of a difference

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Sakurazuka posted:

In addition to what other people have said, there's a free demo you can try

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Three Hopes only really holds up for a campaign or two, but they're pretty meaty campaigns. I'd say it counts as one of the good ones, and is absolutely the best post-DW9 Musou, barring maybe P5 Strikers which is both really weird for a Musou game and absolutely should be played after the source material.

Other the 3H, yeah, I'd go play one of the older ones if you've missed them over getting dissapointed in Age of Calamity or Samurai Warriors 5 or something
WO3 got a pretty good PC port pretty recently, DW7 is a good one to try out for getting the whole Romance of the Three Kingdoms deal if you're uninitiated to the setting, and DW8 and SW4 are probably the most feature-complete games in the series. Hyrule Warriors:DE and Pirate Warriors 3 are also both really good but be warned that PW3's PC port is not the best, and HW:DE is an absolute rabbit hole of unlockable nonsense that can really start to feel like busywork, even compared to previous Hyrule Warriors editions due to turning the DLC content into unlocks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Locke posted:

Three Hopes only really holds up for a campaign or two, but they're pretty meaty campaigns. I'd say it counts as one of the good ones, and is absolutely the best post-DW9 Musou, barring maybe P5 Strikers which is both really weird for a Musou game and absolutely should be played after the source material.

Other the 3H, yeah, I'd go play one of the older ones if you've missed them over getting dissapointed in Age of Calamity or Samurai Warriors 5 or something
WO3 got a pretty good PC port pretty recently, DW7 is a good one to try out for getting the whole Romance of the Three Kingdoms deal if you're uninitiated to the setting, and DW8 and SW4 are probably the most feature-complete games in the series. Hyrule Warriors:DE and Pirate Warriors 3 are also both really good but be warned that PW3's PC port is not the best, and HW:DE is an absolute rabbit hole of unlockable nonsense that can really start to feel like busywork, even compared to previous Hyrule Warriors editions due to turning the DLC content into unlocks.

I tried playing pirate warriors 3 on steam and for some reason the controller configuration was hosed in such a way that i could not rotate the camera (plus other issues too but that was the most glaring). I'm sure there's a fix but it was so annoying i didn't feel like putting in the effort to find it.

DW8xl is probably the best in show imo in terms of gameplay and content, it's really fun. 7 tells the story slightly better, but 8 is a mechanically better game in every other way.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate Definitive Edition on PC is pretty good too. I haven't played the whole thing yet, but it plays well and has tons of content. Maybe a little bit on the harder side at default difficulty, at least when it comes to fighting some enemy commanders.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Sakurazuka posted:

I played this game without an ounce of F.E. background. I got my money's worth.

Edelgard :allears:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Hunter Noventa posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate Definitive Edition on PC is pretty good too. I haven't played the whole thing yet, but it plays well and has tons of content. Maybe a little bit on the harder side at default difficulty, at least when it comes to fighting some enemy commanders.

I never grew up on the PS2 Musous, not having camera lock on for commanders is driving me a little nuts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Today I got a PS2 emulator working on my deck and the game I first tested it with was DW3. In the very first battle a group of enemies ran up to me and... actually attacked me. And hit me. It blew my mind. They don't do that in recent games! They just step side to side and occasionally swipe at the air.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Leal posted:

Today I got a PS2 emulator working on my deck and the game I first tested it with was DW3. In the very first battle a group of enemies ran up to me and... actually attacked me. And hit me. It blew my mind. They don't do that in recent games! They just step side to side and occasionally swipe at the air.

Wait until you encounter large numbers of archers. You'll go from impressed to terrified. God forbid you ever trigger the Archer Trap at He Fei Castle.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Leal posted:

I cannot wait until you run into Sun Quan's crack archer squad.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
They're not even the real poo poo. It's the archers that are the real fuckers.

Man I'm gonna commit to getting that loving video out this month. I have so many thoughts on dw3

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Fate/Samurai Remnant is pretty fun if Persona 5 Strikers was your sort of game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love everyone has been equally traumatized by DW3 archers.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Leal posted:

https://i.imgur.com/NeAXlCp.mp4

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wait until you encounter large numbers of archers. You'll go from impressed to terrified. God forbid you ever trigger the Archer Trap at He Fei Castle.
What's the very first thing you do in any DW game whenever a battle starts? Of course, you run forwards to find something to hit with your big sword/spear/halberd/improvised farming tool, right? Right?

https://i.imgur.com/IpZX4ew.mp4

:gonk:

Takoluka posted:

I love everyone has been equally traumatized by DW3 archers.
The first appearance of archers & crossbowmen in DW3 introduces such a danger/difficulty spike that it's impossible to not be traumatised by them.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The first appearance of archers & crossbowmen in DW3 introduces such a danger/difficulty spike that it's impossible to not be traumatised by them.

Yeah 'trauma' and 'utilizing experience to beat the (murderous) challenge ahead of you' are in harmony here.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

they were assholes in 2 as well

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So how many decades it's been since a Musou game where enemies could hit you?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

You can definitely be hit by the archers in Hyrule Warriors at least.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Three Hopes grunts *could* kill you in the highest difficulty and mages would hurt you without you knowing with fanning projectiles.

SW5 had real jerk design choices with shield enemies that would disperse into crowds of mooks and stun you out of normal attacks long enough to get hit. There was also a tendency to hide a bunch of cavalrymen at the top of a steep summit behind archers or just past the horizon line who would charge forward in unison to get a cheap shot in.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I recall dw5 having enemies that would try to hit you. Doing a basic three move combo if given the chance. Not terribly often but battles would actually have casualties eventually.

Then I remember the second hyrule warriors game where I watched several groups of allied soldiers slap a bokoblin around for 10 minutes without actually damaging him. Kind of broke some of the fun seeing that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Orochi series can get a little scary on the higher difficulties if your character isn't essentially a demi-god. Orochi 1 specifically was balanced crazily, so if you played it on anything above Normal starting out, you were likely to get completely obliterated. On Chaos, Orochi himself would likely one-shot you if you didn't already get nearly murdered by a random mook doing a 3-hit combo. Orochi 2 rebalanced it to be too easy, though, and Red Hare/Matsukaze moved at the speed of sound. Orochi 3 was a nice middle ground where running into a big crowd on Chaos would potentially have you leave it somehow 20 feet in the air either dead or in the red.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Takoluka posted:

20 feet in the air either dead or in the red.

New thread title please.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

mikeycp posted:

they were assholes in 2 as well
So were AI officers, NPC or otherwise, because not only did they take forever to put down, they'd highlight just how crude and monotonous DW2's combat options were.

You know how in DW3 an AI officer will at least have the courtesy to go into that 'gathering energy' stance before using one of the "secret AI only" abilities (such as one of various health recoveries or an atk/def buff, etc.), giving you a chance to whack them in the face to prevent whatever ability from actually taking effect?

In DW2 there was no charging involved, they'd just instantly abuse such powers once they stood up from being floored. Knocking an enemy officer down was one of the worst things you could do near the end of a fight. The moment that fucker was back on his feet he was also going to recover a load of health just to waste your time*. It was (and is) horribly tedious to deal with officers in DW2, and repeated three-hit combos is the only "good" option when it comes to dealing with them efficiently. No charge attacks, no Musou attacks, no fun allowed, just the same three-hit chain on repeat for 90+ seconds all while hoping some dickhead mooks don't decide to interrupt in the dying seconds.

*Granted they could only use each ability once but that still meant they'd have four different health recovery abilities -- 50, 100, 200, Full -- at their disposal!

Jack Trades posted:

None, believe it or not! :buddy:

As DW8XL goes, the pleb fodder footsoldiers can/will score a hit every now and then (swordsmen are far better at their job than the impossibly lousy spearmen, but still drop dead almost instantly). Those bastards with the shields and pikes are fond of jabbing you in the back.To nobody's surprise, archers are still horrible for interrupting your attacks at the worst moments. On the highest difficulties any playable officer will almost certainly one-shot you with any of their Musou attacks, no matter your stats or level or anything. Whatever you do in DW8XL, if Lu Bu is your enemy, do not absent-mindedly send him into the air mid-combo or whatever, because he will nigh-invariably react with an Air Musou and bring concentrated nuclear explosions right down onto your loving head and around him for some 20ft.

The way to avoid being killed by that is to use your own Musou attack and abuse the invulnerability it brings. No Musou available? Goodnight :v:

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
I somehow missed Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada. How does it compare to the other numbered Samurai Warriors?

I also kinda miss the insanity of Sengoku Basara :(

Gherkin Jerkin fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 12, 2024

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It’s basically sw4 but solely focused on the Sanada. The stratagem things you can use during the battles are pretty cool though.

Also it has one of the best tracks in the series

https://youtu.be/N4h_4iLCBZ0?si=76BCPPxsiuj6KcOh

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

RoyalScion posted:

I'll raise you one "SW1 - Anegawa".

Oichi made some terrible choices.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

RoyalScion posted:

It’s basically sw4 but solely focused on the Sanada. The stratagem things you can use during the battles are pretty cool though.

Hideyori's complete absense except for one inexplicable mention at the end can leave you scratching your head, but it was pretty good.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

I somehow missed Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada. How does it compare to the other numbered Samurai Warriors?

I also kinda miss the insanity of Sengoku Basara :(

Dragon's Dogma 2 is happening, don't lose hope for Sengoku Basara!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/baalbuddy/status/1746413887598076036

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Missing tweet, what's it say?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...I would just like to say that in Samurai Warriors 2, Shingen's Dream Stage is horrifying.

Mostly because the Yoshihiro at the end of the stage is horrifically strong compared to anything else in the level. Dude hits like three freight trains strapped together, and it about as hard to hurt. This dude is "Tadakatsu when he's an optional superboss" levels of strong, and is the mandatory final boss of the level and I do not understand why ._.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Okay so I have warrior'd in ages, loaded up a bunch to play this weekend. Whatever has been available on Playstation plus over the years, I've got dw8E, SW5, and pirate warriors 4. Haven't played pw since launch, I was a few missions away from getting platinum and just got trounce by a very difficult fight.

Which of the new dlc characters are great for the harder stages? I was using whitebeard and luffy but wasn't quite getting through.

After that, I'll probably try the empires game, as I've always loved the empires series (and CAW)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Finished with Regular SW2 to my liking, moved on to 2XL.

First off, holy god Toshiie feels insanely strong once you get him going.

Motochika... I am thus far, less impressed by.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Been playing Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition again lately and man. Feels like this really was the peak of licensed musou games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It and Pirate Warriors 3 really feel like the peak, especially compared to their inferior sequels. I did quite enjoy Three Hopes as a different evolution of the genre, far better than the original Fire Emblem Warriors.