Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Here we go, found the article about it. Looks like I was off.

quote:

As odd as it is to see Nobunaga and other historical figures paired up with cute little Pokemon for overhead strategy in Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition, just imagine if they'd been paired up in a high speed action slasher ala Dynasty Warriors. We may have gotten Pokemon meets Dynasty Warriors had Tecmo Koei's original collaboration idea gone through.

In Weekly Famitsu this week, Pokemon chief Tsunekazu Ishihara and Tecmo Koei chief Yoichi Erikawa revealed that the collaboration originally began with the idea of pairing Pokemon with Tecmo Koei's more well known Shin Sangoku Musou (aka Dynasty Warriors) franchise. Tecmo Koei approached Pokemon with the collaboration idea. Ishihara recalled thinking that a pairing with Nobunaga would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Since I last posted in the previous DW thread, I've picked up DW7 for the PS3 and DWNext on the Vita. Holy hell I'm completely engrossed in both games. It's like scratching an itch I didn't know I had. I love the vaguely historical element to the games and always have Wikipedia up for quick references on characters/officers I come across on the battlefield. In DWNext, I especially like the gameplay feature of capturing smaller bases to support my army. The touch-screen "conflicts" aren't alot of fun but are over quick enough to not bother me.

With that said, I'd like to try out other games in the franchise or even style, and so I've been looking at Bladestorm, Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes, and Warriors Orochi 3. The price for WO3 is a bit off-putting since I only paid about $25-30 for the two DW games I picked up. Any recommendations on where I should go next?

Also, does anyone know of a good book that goes through early Chinese history that isn't ROTK, perhaps something a bit more contemporary?

I appreciate any suggestions, I know I'm just asking alot of questions at this point. :)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm still a bit weirded out about how Tadakatsu looks so vastly different in Pokemon Conquest from how he does in the SW games. The others look about the same (though a tad more anime-ish) but Tadakatsu's square face is just really bizarre.

Also wish Toshiie had been in it, he's one of my favorite characters.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still a bit weirded out about how Tadakatsu looks so vastly different in Pokemon Conquest from how he does in the SW games. The others look about the same (though a tad more anime-ish) but Tadakatsu's square face is just really bizarre.

Also wish Toshiie had been in it, he's one of my favorite characters.

If only Donphan was in the game then Tadakatsu would probably look pretty normal.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

LoudLoudNoise posted:

Also, does anyone know of a good book that goes through early Chinese history that isn't ROTK, perhaps something a bit more contemporary?
Define "early Chinese history" yet "a bit more contemporary" here?

(I can on the other hand hook you up if you want to see a hella lotta different takes on the ROTK/DW plot NOT done by KOEI...)

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Chortles posted:

Define "early Chinese history" yet "a bit more contemporary" here?

(I can on the other hand hook you up if you want to see a hella lotta different takes on the ROTK/DW plot NOT done by KOEI...)

Oh I meant something written in the past 20-30 years about the Three Kingdoms era instead of a literary classic written over six hundred years ago (Romance of the Three Kingdoms).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
At this point, that's a LOT of anime and manga that would fit your definition, unless you meant actual prose? Note though that (not surprisingly) most of that is coming out of Japan, but for more recent stuff from a Chinese perspective I would suggest Chen Mou's The Ravages of Time manhua and 2010's live-action TV series Three Kingdoms, both of which take great amounts of creative license for the in-my-opinion better.

For example, from the TV show there's Guan Yu encountering Cao Cao after Chibi (seriously these subsequent 8 minutes are great melodrama), and Liu Bei's wedding night to Sun Quan's sister ("Little Sister Sun" in the show, as her given name is unknown to history and KOEI merely popularized Shangxiang).

Be advised, Liu Bei is drunk throughout that entire second scene...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Has anyone else noticed that at least in Orochi 3, if a tank bumps into you in the middle of a musou attack just stops your attack cold, even mid-animation? It's the weirdest thing to see, and annoying when it results in death like it did just now.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Chortles posted:

At this point, that's a LOT of anime and manga that would fit your definition, unless you meant actual prose? Note though that (not surprisingly) most of that is coming out of Japan, but for more recent stuff from a Chinese perspective I would suggest Chen Mou's The Ravages of Time manhua and 2010's live-action TV series Three Kingdoms, both of which take great amounts of creative license for the in-my-opinion better.

For example, from the TV show there's Guan Yu encountering Cao Cao after Chibi (seriously these subsequent 8 minutes are great melodrama), and Liu Bei's wedding night to Sun Quan's sister ("Little Sister Sun" in the show, as her given name is unknown to history and KOEI merely popularized Shangxiang).

I greatly recommend the 2010 Three Kingdoms TV show and greatly don't recommend The Ravages of Time. It's way too off the wall, and I'll admit that I only read the first chapter, but drat, it's a hosed up chapter.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Double posting to get some news in here:

Playstation store updating a bit ago with some Warriors Orochi 3 updates:

Playstation Blog posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 – Dynasty Trad Costume ($2.99)
New costumes will be available for selection for 39 characters. The new costumes are for some of the characters from “Wei”, “Wu”, “Shu”, “Jin” and “Other 1″. How to use: At Select Team, choose any of the 39 characters and select Change Costume.

Warriors Orochi 3 – Stage Pack 4 ($3.99)
New stages will be available for selection under Select Battlefield. In-game music and additional weapons are also included.

Warriors Orochi 3 – Stage Pack 5 ($2.99)
New stages will be available for selection under Select Battlefield. In-game music tracks are also included. New stages: Mystic Love, Reclusive Beauty, Champion’s Challenge, Zhong Hui’s Pride, Party Planners. Additional music: 9 additional tracks will be available.

Warriors Orochi 3 – Wall Papers Dlc 3 ($3.99)
New wallpapers will be available for all 40 characters from “Jin”, “Other 1″ and “Other 2″. How to use: Select Wallpaper in the Gallery. Wallpaper for any of these characters that have been used in-game will be available to view, or to set as wallpaper.

Warriors Orochi 3: Bgm Pack 3 ($1.99)
New music will be available for selection at previously cleared stages. How to use: Select a stage that you have already cleared. At the loading screen, choose Select Music. Additional music: “SAMURAI SCANNERS”, “OPTIC LINE”.

I really wish I could transfer over my costumes and music packs from DW7:XL. Also this pricing seems strange. Why is one Stage Pack more expensive than the other? Why are 2 songs a 2 dollar DLC? I know their like the best songs in Orochi but really?

Belzac fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 17, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Belzac posted:

I greatly recommend the 2010 Three Kingdoms TV show and greatly don't recommend The Ravages of Time. It's way too off the wall, and I'll admit that I only read the first chapter, but drat, it's a hosed up chapter.
hosed up yes, but it doesn't have that much relationship to the rest of the plot and probably won't until The Ravages of Time finally ends (it's Sima Yi's eventual death)... if you're willing to read past that first chapter, it eventually bypasses the "dueling between champions" martial arts stuff for :wtc: amounts of strategizing and intrigues.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Alright, I finally got to Chapter 3 in WO3, and now I think I'm stuck. There's only one mission unlocked and I beat it, but still got zip. Am I missing something or does it lie in the relationship missions?

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like I somehow didn't notice I was playing on Free Mode. :psyduck:

The GIG fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 18, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have an opportunity to buy Sengoku Musou 3 Z for $30 at the local import shop, should I take it, or will it just bore me compared to Orochi 3?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have an opportunity to buy Sengoku Musou 3 Z for $30 at the local import shop, should I take it, or will it just bore me compared to Orochi 3?

$30? gently caress, buy it anyway. I paid $80 new for my copy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

$30? gently caress, buy it anyway. I paid $80 new for my copy.
Well I mean, I asked because the reviews on amazon.jp were not favorable, some people said it was missing that special something that (some) other musou games have. Do you think so?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well I mean, I asked because the reviews on amazon.jp were not favorable, some people said it was missing that special something that (some) other musou games have. Do you think so?

Hmm... Well, my opinion on it might be a tad tainted. I came into it mere days after investing 300 hours into Sengoku Basara. If I had to judge though, I'd say it feels empty? The maps feel really big and empty with not much detail unlike say DW7.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Hmm... Well, my opinion on it might be a tad tainted. I came into it mere days after investing 300 hours into Sengoku Basara. If I had to judge though, I'd say it feels empty? The maps feel really big and empty with not much detail unlike say DW7.
Oh, well, I don't think the maps in any musou game are particularly full of interesting things anyway. I hardly even notice them when I am running through them. Eh, for $30 I can deal.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, compared to any other games I have played, allied generals go down crazy fast in Sengoku 3. Other than that it seems like the normal deal, except for carrying items rather than finding them in the field.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, compared to any other games I have played, allied generals go down crazy fast in Sengoku 3. Other than that it seems like the normal deal, except for carrying items rather than finding them in the field.

Do they at least refrain from screaming for help every minute whenever faced with something more threatening than a gate guard? I got really sick of that in SW2.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

Do they at least refrain from screaming for help every minute whenever faced with something more threatening than a gate guard? I got really sick of that in SW2.
Oh, they scream for help, and they mean it. Fortunately there's a consumable item you can carry with you that heals nearby allied generals, on my next time out I'm thinking of filling every slot with them.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Chortles posted:

Actually I'd love to check out films or television series about the Three Kingdoms. I'll look into Three Kingdoms since the stories should be expansive (by nature of being a television show). Thanks!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Be advised that this TV show does use a bunch of creative license (i.e. Xu You appears a lot earlier than he does in the novel and in his one-off cameo in DW7), but also that characters use styles/courtesy names and titles A LOT.

Fortunately a character's first appearance in a given episode usually has their style alongside their name, i.e. "Zhuge Liang styled Kongming", and context will usually signify the titleholder, i.e. Sun Quan sometimes being addressed as the Marquis of Wu (Wu hou) or Cao Cao as His/Your Excellency (chéng xiàng).

Heck, Sun "Shangxiang" is simply "Little Sister Sun" (Sun Xiaomei) in the show.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Also be advised that episode eighteen is a legit tearjerker.

"My land, my beautiful land." :smith:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Err Chachi, I'd say that the series is FULL of tearjerkers... such as its version of Sun Jian's death.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Chortles posted:

Err Chachi, I'd say that the series is FULL of tearjerkers... such as its version of Sun Jian's death.

Good lord that show makes Huang Gai look like such a badass. :allears:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Chortles posted:

Fortunately a character's first appearance in a given episode usually has their style alongside their name, i.e. "Zhuge Liang styled Kongming"

Having read the novels I'm already used to most of the style names! But I'm definitely going to have to watch the TV series, that looks great.

Just played a couple of the new DLC stages for WO3. The one where Keiji beats up people to take their theme songs is fantastic.

By the way, can anyone explain exactly what the difference is between Story and Free Mode on WO3? At first I thought Free Mode would be like how WO2 was, where you kept experience gained in a stage even if you were defeated (but not items or weapons) but apparently this is not the case, so I really can't see what difference there is other than "Free Mode doesn't advance the story" but since I've finished the story anyway, it just seems useless unless there's something I'm not noticing.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Having read the novels I'm already used to most of the style names! But I'm definitely going to have to watch the TV series, that looks great.
"Cao Cao has a strange fetish." :haw: (For those only knowing the story from DW, this is set before Sun Quan's decision to ally with Liu Bei before Chi Bi.)

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Chortles posted:

"Cao Cao has a strange fetish." :haw: (For those only knowing the story from DW, this is set before Sun Quan's decision to ally with Liu Bei before Chi Bi.)

I want to piggyback on this post and add that fans of Lu Su will love his portrayal in this series. He just dunks on everyone and it's pretty clear that he could have run rings around basically the entire Sun family were he a less honest person.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Twelve by Pies posted:

Just played a couple of the new DLC stages for WO3. The one where Keiji beats up people to take their theme songs is fantastic.

By the way, can anyone explain exactly what the difference is between Story and Free Mode on WO3? At first I thought Free Mode would be like how WO2 was, where you kept experience gained in a stage even if you were defeated (but not items or weapons) but apparently this is not the case, so I really can't see what difference there is other than "Free Mode doesn't advance the story" but since I've finished the story anyway, it just seems useless unless there's something I'm not noticing.

It's just a way to play the stages without the cutscenes before or after missions. It also doesn't advance the story.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Chachi posted:

I want to piggyback on this post and add that fans of Lu Su will love his portrayal in this series. He just dunks on everyone and it's pretty clear that he could have run rings around basically the entire Sun family were he a less honest person.

I always played as Lu Su in ROTK 7/8/10 because he was kind of a naive goof in the '93 series. So good for him; can't wait to start watching the 2010 version for this.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for this thread convincing me to try out DW7. It's definitely scratching an itch I didn't realize I had. I'll have to pick up Xtreme Legends sometime before the summer ends.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

GANDHITRON posted:

I always played as Lu Su in ROTK 7/8/10 because he was kind of a naive goof in the '93 series. So good for him; can't wait to start watching the 2010 version for this.
In the 2010 series he's got Zhuge Liang's number.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is it intentional how much rear end Gracia kicks when on a horse versus on foot, relative to other characters? Is there something about her backstory that suggests that she's a horsemaster or is it just a weird quirk to how her attacks were designed?

edit: in Samurai 3 I'm getting a reoccurring bug where enemy generals aren't where the map says they are. To be more specific though, they are fading in and out of view, like the dimension that they are in is passing in and out of phase with mine, it's kind of creepy.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 20, 2012

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Gracia on Horseback has always been a roaming death machine, in all of her appearances. Zhou Tai in his DW5-style incarnations was also death on a horse despite no horseman styled backstory. It only really makes sense on Ma Chao. :v:

Gracia's back story is that she is Mitsuhide Akechi's daughter who after his death was sent off to a remote location. She converts to Catholicism after Hideyoshi outlaws it, Mitsunari Ishida tries to capture her as a hostage, her retainers kill her and them themselves, because suicide is a sin in Catholicism.

Being a Christian of course, means KOEI decides to make her a magic hurling sorceress. This is why these games are stupid awesome.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Gracia on Horseback has always been a roaming death machine, in all of her appearances. Zhou Tai in his DW5-style incarnations was also death on a horse despite no horseman styled backstory. It only really makes sense on Ma Chao. :v:

Gracia's back story is that she is Mitsuhide Akechi's daughter who after his death was sent off to a remote location. She converts to Catholicism after Hideyoshi outlaws it, Mitsunari Ishida tries to capture her as a hostage, her retainers kill her and them themselves, because suicide is a sin in Catholicism.

Being a Christian of course, means KOEI decides to make her a magic hurling sorceress. This is why these games are stupid awesome.

My first experience with her, was with the 3DS Samurai Chronicles, and my impression was she was some absurd, fluffy, fisticuffs / gymnastic type. I thought it was loving bizarre, because I was aware of the really tragic history of the real Gracia.

I've also not been able to get past thinking of Nobunaga as Soundgarden's Chris Cornell, tearing up Japan. But that one's on me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that Nobunaga has magic powers because he was also interested in foreign sorcery, i.e. Christianity.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that Nobunaga has magic powers because he was also interested in foreign sorcery, i.e. Christianity.

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it as Aya is a pretty classical sorceress but has no connection to Christianity that I know of. Maybe just being religious at all gives you magical powers...but Nobunaga is shown as being pretty anti-religion in most of his appearances and especially when fighting against the Ikko.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I would say that's more because of the whole Oda Nobunaga was a demon meme.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Also I'm pretty sure his interest in Christianity was based on the fact that the Christians had all the guns.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not just sorcery, it's EVIL sorcery at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Cai Wenji is pretty good on horseback too. My favorite thing is just strumming the hell out of the harp while everyone just runs headlong into the shockwaves :allears: