Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
And you just reminded me of Rise and Fall:Civilisations at war. Weird game, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Just because I'm listening to a podcast about it, Musou 30 Years War.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly there's just so many settings and time periods just begging for a Musou game that it's almost absurd that it doesn't happen more often, especially since KT seems to remember how to be good when they're hired to work on other properties. How is there still not an Final Fantasy Musou, a 40k one, Star Wars, anything really.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Huang Gai Horse Adventures

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Flytrap posted:

Honestly there's just so many settings and time periods just begging for a Musou game that it's almost absurd that it doesn't happen more often, especially since KT seems to remember how to be good when they're hired to work on other properties. How is there still not an Final Fantasy Musou, a 40k one, Star Wars, anything really.

bandai musou where it's just like slayers and rune soldier louie and scryed
magical girl musou with sailor moon, symphogear, nanoha etc
precure specific musou
emu war musou

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Castlevania Musou.
Godzilla Musou.
Super Sentai Musou.
Pokemon Musou.
War of the Roses Musou.
Napoleonic Musou.

Please KT. :pray:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Flytrap posted:

It still boggles my mind that there isn't a Disgaea Musou. It's perfect for it.

And lets get another proper Gundam Musou while we're at it!

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I liked that Pokemon Conquest game where you had like Shingen Takeda teamed up with Rhydon or whatever.

But I also wouldn't mind just a new Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors game that doesn't suck.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Gundam Musou was real good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah, at this point I'll accept any Musou game that just doesn't suck and make any improvements upon the formula.

I know it's a bit...against the spirit of the genre, maybe, but I would really like a Musou with at least some semblance of challenge and complexity to it's core gameplay.
Many games like Warriors Orochi add a bunch of mechanics in an attempt to do that but they are "solved" way to easily.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Let a random general one shot me just like good old days.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

we need gundam musou back

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iqaZoiL1as

real ones have this burned into their brain, permanently

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

studio mujahideen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iqaZoiL1as

real ones have this burned into their brain, permanently

Thiiiis rocks! The double zeta's a POWERhouse

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've played quite a bit of Three Hopes, and it's got a pretty great gameplay loop that could be adapted to any other sort of Musou for the story-related battles where you actually have a map and objectives on it, someof which you have to race towards to clear out. Not super complex, but it's really nice.

Imagine that with Gundam, you have the 'Battle of Odessa' chapter, but the actual battle is the finale, and you have to cross the map to get there, finishing various objectives to clear the way and possibly get other advantages in the final battle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I appreciate any tangible examples of what improvements for the formula are, as a fairweather fan with no imagination. If left to me, all I can come up with is 'Don't do Hyrule Warriors' giant bosses anymore'

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I did really like how three hopes let you control four characters at a time. It was a thin strategy layer, but reacting to changes on the battlefield by ordering your little dudes around and then swapping to them to keep the action going while other characters were traveling to their objectives was pretty satisfying imo. I think the samurai warriors games do that too (although only with 2 characters), I don't mind more of that kind of thing.

I might also just be a sicko but I like having downtime things to do at the base in between battles too. Three hopes obviously goes pretty far with this given its source material, but I liked the castle town in spirit of sanada too, taking a beat to go farming and fishing in between battles felt nice to me.

Basically I just liked three hopes a lot, i think

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Three Hopes was a lot of fun, but I wish they had more designed maps in each chapter. I liked the paralogues, the actual maps, etc and just got burned out with the skirmishes on a run through a second route.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Sakurazuka posted:

Let a random general one shot me just like good old days.

I saved my musous just specifically for 'oh christ it's Lu Bu / Himiko' type generals. It's become muscle memory for me. If I hear enemy general's musou lighting off, then I light off mine and hope mine outlasts theirs. That has been my survival mechanic for years of these games.

I also would really like to see another Gundam Musou entry and I haven't seen any of the original anime.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Just give me an Empires game that runs with non-narrated strategy/tactics a la Three Hopes. That's all I want.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Morter posted:

Just give me an Empires game that runs with non-narrated strategy/tactics a la Three Hopes. That's all I want.

Hell i'd just play Three Hopes: Empires. They built out a map of fodlan with provinces and everything, let's just open up the whole thing and fuckin go for it

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

5er posted:

I saved my musous just specifically for 'oh christ it's Lu Bu / Himiko' type generals. It's become muscle memory for me. If I hear enemy general's musou lighting off, then I light off mine and hope mine outlasts theirs. That has been my survival mechanic for years of these games.

I also would really like to see another Gundam Musou entry and I haven't seen any of the original anime.

Himiko was in the orochi series yeah? With the little totems that shot out the Megaman-esque laser pellets?

I am also a person that frigging LOOOOOVED Gundam 2 without seeing a single piece of Gundam anime. I must have several hundred hours in that game.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Der-Wreck posted:

Himiko was in the orochi series yeah? With the little totems that shot out the Megaman-esque laser pellets?

I am also a person that frigging LOOOOOVED Gundam 2 without seeing a single piece of Gundam anime. I must have several hundred hours in that game.

Yup, and that little kid would melt you if you were caught unprepared by her mosou.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

5er posted:

Yup, and that little kid would melt you if you were caught unprepared by her mosou.

Oh man, I’m remembering that musou now. Some sort of insane laser light show or something, yeah? I think it wrecked me once in WO3 when I was going for mystic weapons.

Great character to play as though. Himiko feels like the closest thing we got to getting a Gundam fighter in WO3, with all the big gently caress off lasers.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Question about Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires--do I have to download other people's custom officers in the Edit Officer mode before they'll start showing up in my campaign, or is there some "connect to Online" setting somewhere that will just allow random ones to start popping up without me having to choose ahead of time which ones to download?

I kind of just want to go full chaos mode and allow randomly-created officers to show up in my game without me having to manually curate a list first, but I can't find a way to do that and I just want to double check that I'm not missing anything. I just want to play campaign full of clowns and hosed up little guys

on PC if that makes a difference

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Created officers from others will appear in-game without prompting or downloading. There is an cap on number of officers in-game so it may require you to execute a few before they start appearing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I couldn't get the idea of buying DW9E out of my head for some reason, so I got it and...I kinda like it? Maybe it's just the honeymoon phase but I like it better than 8E so far (though I like 8XL way better than either), it's bad and repetitive in ways that don't bother me, and cheaply satisfying in ways that are apparently laser targeted to release the good chemicals in my brain. Something about every battle being a castle siege is more fun to me than fighting generic "Kill 200 goons to capture the base" battles on the classic DW maps; I'm sure it's just a honeymoon phase and I'll get sick of it soon but I can see picking this up on an off again as a podcast game for when I need to turn my brain off for an hour or so. The new combat system seems kinda neat too; it could just be a honeymoon phase as well, but the way you can chain attacks to keep combos going infinitely makes clearing bases feel like less of a slog to me than it did in 8E. I don't like it enough to want to buy 9 vanilla, but it works well in this format I think.

The Stroll mode is weird; they put the whole map in the game but didn't put anything to actually do in it, apart from killing bandits/animals, which gets old incredibly fast. It's fine, the open world map sucked in 9 anyway, I'm just sort of surprised to see it at all.

I do wish there were more outfits in the create a character, but not enough to buy the DLC, those prices are nuts

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There’s some weapons in DW9 that just feel bad to use so it’s possible you picked one of the better feeling ones. I will say this about DE9E though, due to the way how dmg scales based off your army buffs and debuffs, it’s a lot more difficult to one-man army solo a battle in DW9E if you decide to go the crazy route of attempting a fight with no allies, unlike the main game where it was super easy to trivialize every major battle.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

What I really disliked about 9s weapons was that they had DLC ones and then introduced free versions but the free versions have different movesets. Sima Shi is my favorite DW character and he's got the lightning sword as his tailor made weapon but the free version movesets suck so bad compared to the paid one, which feels awesome to use but cost me six bucks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven't tried too many weapons yet yeah, just the faster swords and spears so far, which feel nice to me. I did try a few heavier ones briefly and didn't love them, I'll admit

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I had an itch I couldn't scratch, so I picked up DW9, with the logic of "if i'm having fun with empires, surely 9 can't be that bad" and boy oh boy was I wrong, that's a refund

I barely made it into chapter 1 before deciding to bail while I was still in the refund window, but is it really just "travel to a static blob of enemies, kill the named officer(s), repeat" over and over and over? Does it really not ever try to do anything more interesting than that? At least in empires there's a flow and sense of urgency to the battle as you and the CPU try to accomplish/foil each others' objectives, crazy to think that empires would actually make the battles feel less generic than the handmade stuff.

It's also disappointing how boring the map is; China's a beautiful country with a ton of amazing landscapes, rendering it into an open world game could be cool as hell but it's just so ugly and void of anything interesting to do, it's such a waste.

I am finding Jim Sterling's review to be cathartic though, they seem to be of a similar mind to me in the vein of "I like dynasty warriors so much that I even like the bad ones, and I can't stomach this"

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah pretty much. Like the battle of Chibi is one of the memorable battles in Dynasty Warriors just cause of the whole scenario of setting the boats on fire, and it's barely noticeable in DW9, especially with quick-travel being a thing. And yeah, every major battle just becomes trivialized because you can just easily ignore everything and gun down the general.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That's such a disappointment, I hope they get it back together for 10. Even in Empires, the "unique" battles are a bit of a joke--I tried the Chi Bi scenario and it was just...a castle siege, but the secret plan involved a wind prayer and a fire attack, that's it. No boats or water to be seen

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

While I'd never call DW9 good, I do have a weird soft spot for it. Occasionally it will manage to have a siege battle that feels good (as long as you ignore the grapple hook and engage with siege mechanics anyway,) or it will absolutely flood a field with enemies and it will actually feel like a big battle is happening if you squint hard enough. It doesn't do any of this often enough of course, and the game is so technically rough like it's an alpha build or something.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Two decades on and The Men of Intelligence still demands respect.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Two decades on and The Men of Intelligence still demands respect.

That and Sacred Ground are the GOATs, as far as I'm concerned.

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 2, 2023

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Takoluka posted:

drat right :colbert:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Don't sleep on Exotic traitors. :colbert:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Takoluka posted:

Was this a mis-link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Bloodly posted:

Was this a mis-link?

Sure was! I fixed it.

Takoluka posted: