Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Here's some new screenshots for Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires.

This time they seem to have a screen with a map that shows all the available regions? 24 regions if this is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a little worried that there haven't been any coop screens yet, but I am glad the morale bar seems to be back. Also, is this screen showing cards being used in battle?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

abagofcheetos posted:

I'm a little worried that there haven't been any coop screens yet, but I am glad the morale bar seems to be back. Also, is this screen showing cards being used in battle?

Not only does that screen show cards being used but it also confirms my earlier speculation that all DW7 DLC weapons will be dispersed to characters. Note that Cao Ren is using hit shield once again.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Belzac posted:

Not only does that screen show cards being used but it also confirms my earlier speculation that all DW7 DLC weapons will be dispersed to characters. Note that Cao Ren is using hit shield once again.

If you go by that screenshot Cao Ren is also apparently a Krogan.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If you go by that screenshot Cao Ren is also apparently a Krogan.

He's looked like that for a while?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

5er posted:

He's looked like that for a while?

Really? I don't remember the hunchback in DW6.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Really? I don't remember the hunchback in DW6.

He looks the same as in Next.

Also, anyone still playing WO3 online on PSN? I want to co-op it up but I don't want to jump in and be the only dude there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Some of the missions in Samurai 3 are such incredible bullshit, forcing you to travel the entire length of the map over and over again with a severe time limit. I've failed one of Aya's stages like that four times in a row now.

I seem to remember the original PS2 Samurai Warriors being a lot like that too, you had to play some stages a couple of times before you knew where you had to be at the right time, otherwise you were screwed.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I seem to remember the original PS2 Samurai Warriors being a lot like that too, you had to play some stages a couple of times before you knew where you had to be at the right time, otherwise you were screwed.

The castle sections in SW1 soured my taste for the series, even though people have told me they aren't as bad in later installments

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The big difference in SW2 was integrating them into the gameplay of the regular stages instead of a "field/castle/siege" division.

HOLY poo poo LATE EDIT: In the 2010 show, instead of Zhang Fei just bearing the wait with his brothers (for Zhuge Liang to appear) like he does in DW7, he sets Zhuge Liang's house on fire and Zhuge Liang sleeps through it... and the first appearance of the iconic feathers is to fan away the smoke.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 14, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
More DLC for WO3 from the Playstation store.

PSN posted:

Warriors Orochi 3

Stage Pack 6 ($2.99) – New stages will be available for selection under Select Battlefield. In-game music tracks are also included. New stages: The Rise of Kiyomori 1, The Rise of Kiyomori 2, Defense of Itsukushima, Monkey Hunt, Speed is of the Essence. Additional music: 9 additional tracks will be available.
Stage Pack 7 ($1.99) – New stages will be available for selection under Select Battlefield. New stages: Talent Acquisition, The Search for Liu Shan, Testing Times, Heroes of Luoyang.
Samurai Disguises 1 ($4.99) – Special costumes will be available for selection for the 15 characters under Samurai 1, in which they are dressed up as other characters. How to use: At Select Team, choose any of the 15 characters and select Change Costume.
Samurai Disguises 2 ($4.99) – Special costumes will be available for selection for the 14 characters under Samurai 2, in which they are dressed up as other characters. How to use: At Select Team, choose any of the 14 characters and select Change Costume.
Samurai Disguises 3 ($4.99) – Special costumes will be available for selection for the 14 characters under Samurai 3, in which they are dressed up as other characters. How to use: At Select Team, choose any of the 14 characters and select Change Costume.
Original Wallpapers ($3.99) – Newly designed wallpapers will be available. How to use: Select Wallpaper in the Gallery.
BGM Pack 4 ($1.99) – New music will be available for selection at previously cleared stages. How to use: Select a stage that you have already cleared. At the loading screen, choose Select Music. Additional music: FUSION!!!, LIMPID LUSTER.

Limpid Luster, hell yeah. Also I believe that Guan Yu and Zhang Fei through about lighting Zhuge Liang's house on fire in the book but decided against it. Kinda out of character for Guan Yu but the editor pointed out it was foreshadowing for Zhuge Liang's many uses of fire from that chapter on.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Belzac posted:

Limpid Luster, hell yeah. Also I believe that Guan Yu and Zhang Fei through about lighting Zhuge Liang's house on fire in the book but decided against it. Kinda out of character for Guan Yu but the editor pointed out it was foreshadowing for Zhuge Liang's many uses of fire from that chapter on.
Seems to me more a product of the novel's inconsistencies due to over-the-years revisions that led to the modern translations, and the director in this case going through with the fire for laughs.

Speaking of the TV show, Cao Ren's pecs dancing :staredog:

Incidentally:

quote:

Speaking of the Gongjin love, you probably have no idea how fast the Wu love is growing in the Chinese TK fans. That is not only the love of Gongjin, but also the love of Sun Quan, Lu Su, Lu Meng...almost everyone in the Wu faction
I would actually very much like to see DW8 say "gently caress it" and just use the characterizations in TK2010. :allears:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
God drat it Koei. How am I supposed to 100% this game if you keep releasing DLC for it?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The costume packs are ridiculously expensive this time around and I'm not sure why. I bought them all of course, because dammit I love the Musou games, but the costumes seriously aren't worth it unless you're like me and just have to have everything. Although No in Zhu Rong's outfit is uh...yeah.

Anyway I played through pack 6 and there's a stage and music track in there that will be awfully familiar to those who ever tried to grind out proficiency in Warriors Orochi 2. Plus, there's a battle in that stage (Speed is of the Essence) that's perfect for gem farming. Using the recommended characters I got a little over 48,000 gems in that stage and obviously could've gotten more if I'd brought in Goemon and Yuan Shao. I also came very close to seeing a 10,000 KO mark in the stage too, I made it up to about 9700 KOs and probably could have gotten more if it wasn't for the time limit and the victory condition change near the end.

I don't know what the new BGM tracks are since I haven't gone back into a stage I've beaten to check yet.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I entertain the scantest hope that around the time I feel like playing WO3 again, the costume packs will be bundled together and on sale.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

5er posted:

I entertain the scantest hope that around the time I feel like playing WO3 again, the costume packs will be bundled together and on sale.
I believe they're bundled together on the Japanese store now, but still kinds expensive.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Here's some new stuff for Ken's Rage 2. All these dudes are playable this time around.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

Here's some new stuff for Ken's Rage 2. All these dudes are playable this time around.

Can't wait to gently caress poo poo up as Juda.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
We could have had the guy who played Zhuge Liang in the 1990s series as Cao Cao in the 2010 series with Ken Watanabe as Guan Yu? Or so Wiki claims... now I just imagined it. :psyduck:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

New video for One Piece: Pirate Warriors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYprSUieBQ

Also Sengoku Basara HD Collection is out now, anyone gonna pick that up?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I found out the other day that the PSP version of Warriors Orochi 2 has the content that was in Musou Orochi Z which never came over here. I was wondering if it's a decent port of the PS2 version, or if there's any weird quirks that would make it not worth picking up. Anyone have any input?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I found out the other day that the PSP version of Warriors Orochi 2 has the content that was in Musou Orochi Z which never came over here. I was wondering if it's a decent port of the PS2 version, or if there's any weird quirks that would make it not worth picking up. Anyone have any input?

I have not played any of the PS2 Orochi games so I can't comment on how it compares, but for what it's worth, I played the hell out of the PSP Warriors Orochi 2 on my Vita (after being disappointed by DW:NEXT and craving a portable Warriors game) and loved every minute. Some of the menus for spending growth points and stuff like that are a bit clunky, but for all I know that could be the case with the PS2 version as well. The game itself plays impeccably.

As far as I'm concerned Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP is a phenomenal game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay, I'll probably pick it in the near future then, since I was really upset that Musou Orochi Z didn't come over. I really wanna see the new stages and storylines they added.

Also was there ever a consensus on whether Warriors of Troy was any good or not, because I might see if I can find that somewhere too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

New video for One Piece: Pirate Warriors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYprSUieBQ

Someone really needs to remind them that one-on-one boss battles aren't fun in Warriors games. Shame it seems completely bloodless too, unlike the TV series.

Have they made any mention of how far the story mode goes?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wasn't there a Dynasty Warriors game where you were able to create your own character? Or was it that "Officer" thing where the character you created was an NPC following you around.

loving love these games. Just endlessly killing hordes (and gamepads). :allears:

Azran fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Dec 27, 2018

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Azran posted:

Wasn't there a Dynasty Warriors game where you were able to create your own character?

The Empires games usually let you create your own officer. Samurai Warriors had it as part of the main game, along with a kind of bizarre 'training school' where a bunch of minigames determined your initial stats.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

One of the main DW games, I want to say 4, had an officer creation program in it. All you could do was choose from a default set of appearances and preset weapons and movesets though, and what weapon your bodyguards had. I'm pretty sure it was 4 because Fu Xi and Nu Wa weren't in 4, but the great sword was one of the weapons you could pick for your created officer and the strongest weapon for that was called Fu Xi's Sword or something like that.

So anyway, new DLC for WO3 got released and I've already bought it all. There's two stage packs for a total of 11 new stages, and four costume packs (at 5 bucks each!) with costumes for the DW characters from the Strikeforce game.

Now, I've never played Strikeforce or really even know anything about it so all I can say from looking at these costumes is...what? No, seriously, what? I mean...I guess some of them are kind of cool. I'll probably use Cao Ren and Pang De's Strikeforce costumes just because they're super cool looking but some of them, like Dian Wei, are just...bizarre.

And seriously at this point Koei might as well just contact my job and have my paycheck directly deposited in their bank account at this point, cut out the middleman. The Strikeforce costumes are "Downloaded Costume 7" in the gallery, meaning there's at least 4 more costume packs for each of the DW characters alone, and if they stay at the five dollar price point, that's a good deal of cash.

Of course, I'll still buy every single one of them because dammit I love these games.

Omp
Sep 8, 2012

by T. Mascis
A word of advice to anyone who's addicted to Dynasty Warriors: play DW Online. Nothing will cure your addiction faster than that endless, context-free tedium.

Stelas posted:

The Empires games usually let you create your own officer. Samurai Warriors had it as part of the main game, along with a kind of bizarre 'training school' where a bunch of minigames determined your initial stats.

Could you max out your stats (within starting limits) by just doing really good on all of them?

Anyway, does anyone else remember when Sun Jian said "Mmmm, great!" and often find themselves congratulating people with the same phrase?

Last edit: Does anybody else feel like Dynasty Warriors should end with 7? It's the first game where they went through the entire plot of ROTK, not to mention the finality of the Cheng Du battle and the accompanying song.

I wonder if they just never put the Sima clan in before because of the difficulty of making a family of smug usurpers sympathetic in any way.

Omp fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 12, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I think it was just the overall sense of "oh welp there's no real story in the novel after Zhuge Liang's death except Jiang Wei failing forever" that a bunch of other depictions tended to conclude the story at/with; even the 2010 live-action series ends things with Zhuge Liang's death in the penultimate episode followed by the series finale "Sima Yi's Death", which concludes with exactly that.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Omp posted:

Could you max out your stats (within starting limits) by just doing really good on all of them?

You could definitely get extremely good level 1 stats, not to mention a significant speed bump.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Omp posted:

Does anybody else feel like Dynasty Warriors should end with 7?

You shut your drat mouth, the series still has a ton of potential yet to tap. :mad:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Chachi posted:

You shut your drat mouth, the series still has a ton of potential yet to tap. :mad:
They have yet to make Lu Su from the 2010 television series playable, for starters :haw:

Chortles fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 12, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Dynasty Warriors won't end until they have mapped through the history of China and literally made every person in Chinese military history a playable character.

EDIT: By the way, Sun Tzu should be a secret unlockable one of these days.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Stelas posted:

You could definitely get extremely good level 1 stats, not to mention a significant speed bump.

You could also get bonuses through events at the school, like beating Magoichi in a duel to get a rifle instead of a bow.

You could even join a clan by passing their trials.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The GIG posted:

Dynasty Warriors won't end until they have mapped through the history of China and literally made every person in Chinese military history a playable character.

Or Sun Bin, whose weapon is a magic karate wheelchair.

Omp
Sep 8, 2012

by T. Mascis

The GIG posted:

What? Isn't everyone playable in Dynasty Warriors still from the Three Kingdoms era?

Chortles posted:

I think it was just the overall sense of "oh welp there's no real story in the novel after Zhuge Liang's death except Jiang Wei failing forever" that a bunch of other depictions tended to conclude the story at/with; even the 2010 live-action series ends things with Zhuge Liang's death in the penultimate episode followed by the series finale "Sima Yi's Death", which concludes with exactly that.

Sima Yi's death? That seems like a strange place to stop, since it was right in the middle of the Simas' ascendancy. But maybe it would make more sense if I saw it.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Omp posted:

What? Isn't everyone playable in Dynasty Warriors still from the Three Kingdoms era?

Fu Xi and Nu Wa were in DW3 originally as secret characters, being figures in mythology. Bao Sanniang & Diao Chan probably didn't exist in real history either, and Sanniang wasn't even in the novel.

Sun Tzu seems like he'd better fit in an Orochi game with it's time fuckery. Although it'd be humorous to have Sun Jian wheel out his great xwhatever grandfather who has so mastered the art of war that he has defeated death.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The GIG posted:

Why stick with military history? I want to unleash Deng Xiaoping's musou on the Gang of Four.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

kissekatt posted:

Why stick with military history? I want to unleash Deng Xiaoping's musou on the Gang of Four.

Hell, doesn't even need to be a political figure either.

Imagine if Bruce Lee was in a Warriors game? :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Yeah, Warriors Orochi 3 has pretty much definitely buried the whole "historical/mythological figures only" thing what with the ninja gaiden characters on the cast.

Which means now Koei needs to get From Software on the phone and license Solaire, Laurentius, Siegmeyer and Tarkus for the next crossover title :syoon: