Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Anyone playing Pokemon Conquest? I just picked it back up after a few weeks. Is there a strategy to delegating? I feel like I should be setting all my cities to 'search' but I dunno.

I've never seen a delegated city pick up a pokemon, so I always have them search until there's no officers to hire then switch to training themselves. If it's a border town that might get attacked, the energy boosting one might be more helpful because of the tiny amount of experience training gives would be outweighed in the short term by more energetic pokemon. That's all guesswork though, I haven't tried the tougher scenarios yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Apparently there's a Chronicles 2 coming, I pray it comes to the states and gives me a reason to dust off my 3DS

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Supposedly the new empires does too, even getting to the point of becoming a mercenary band and growing into a new faction. I got that from a random picture on a message board

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

If I am a huge Gundam nerd and want one of the DW: Gundam games, should I go ahead and get 3?

I actually enjoyed 2 more than 3, because 2 follows Gundam, Zeta, to a much lesser extent ZZ, and ends with chars counter attack. And then there's a number of characters who get their own little stories in mission mode which is more of a mash-up plotline. Whereas DW:G3 is entirely the mash-up plotline and while it's got some good parts its just a really weird experience seeing all these characters drawn in different art-styles having long mostly-text conversations

I went in to the games not knowing really anything about gundam other than some Gundam Wing, so slaughtering tons of suits didn't seem weird at all :v:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Ahahaha! My god I can just imagine the possibilities: Sun Jian Wheaties! Sima Yi Slurpee! Guan Yu E-Trade! The sky is the limit :signings:

wheres angrychugginglubu.jpg

edit:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

If the other games are anything to go by, if you've got more/better generals and troops you can hang back and watch your dudes tear through the map. It'll still probably take like ten minutes longer than it would if you got involved though

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Where is the empires. Give them to me sony I'll pay money

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Vagabond is pretty cool; I joined in the defense of a province and one of my allies was Zhao Yu, who was impressed by my character even though we ended up losing. Couple turns later he invites me to join the yellow turbans and now we're religious rebel bros

It could certainly be fleshed out more, but they've done a decent job of making the strategic part of the game play differently based on rank

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

What's the ultimate goal of a vagabond leader anyway? Or isn't there one and it simply exists as a multiplayer device and a means to build up a small force before joining a lord (or becoming one yourself)?

The only endgoal is controlling the entire map so... hm, actually I wonder what would happen if you hosed around as a vagabond until someone took over everything? But yeah you either try to get poached or take some land for your own

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'll have to go to bed without killing a single Chinese person!

Lu Bu's worst day ever

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Dawnfire posted:

edit:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
So is there an option somewhere to turn off running into player created character?

When you start a new game you can turn it off. You can also only allow characters you've tagged Favorite to show up EDIT OOPS I DIDNT READ YOUR WHOLE POST yeah I dunno then, it seems to be working in my game. I suppose worst case you can take your system off the network (probably)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

5er posted:

It's people that want to believe 'tsundere' is a real thing, so that they can believe all the attractive real world people that spit on them are just masking feelings of genuine adoration. Oh and she's got massive jugs.

You've confused Wang Yi with Wang Yuanji! Wang Yi is the depressed one with the huge jugs

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vStcfKl8EbU kickin rad theme though
edit: "I just love the way she craves for revenge it's so dark and yet there something..." -MegaPokemon64

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 27, 2013

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So is the vita version of 8 coming out at the same time as the ps4 version? Edit: Why do I ask the question and then look it up? The answer is yes

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 20, 2014

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah 8 vita is great but the framerate is giving me PS2 era DW flashbacks so anything to boost that would be phenomenal

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Bloodly posted:

The fuckery that was the DW4 Nanman Campaign couldn't and wouldn't happen as the game is today(I sound like I'm talking about an MMO...that's overly funny, really, given what happened with Online). It's a good thing...mostly.

Ahaha, holy poo poo if that wasn't an unbelievable slog. Do everything right and still win by the skin of your teeth with barely any time left. I don't even remember what you unlocked by beating Meng Huo all eight times but it must've been worth it, it must've surely :ohdear:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Selane posted:

You've spent an hour on this mission and survived the poison water and climate fatigue and all the other cheap bullshit. Now all you need to do is beat Meng Huo for the last time!

*steps into base, gets chain-trampled by elephants for twenty seconds*

I remember that awful feeling when I whiffed the arrow shot to dismount him and that first person view of the elephant just getting bigger and bigger

Bloodly posted:

And by this time your allies are actually earning earning 300, 400 or more kills because that was what was required to survive-getting your morale under control(Usually via objectives) that they could do so and become somewhat self-sustaining. This in a game where you usually earned maybe 50-200 kills yourself and getting 1000 was such an effort that doing it effectively auto-won the map by setting the entire ally force into max-morale super-mode.

It's a bad time. But also oddly memorable. You always remember the bad times more than the good.

Definitely. I think the series has largely improved gameplay wise as time has gone on but I do also miss how the older levels were generally larger, longer and less tightly scripted than the new games, helps with it feeling like a 'real' battle more. Orochi games are still good for that though

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I was expecting Lu Lingqi to be rowdier. Not to say it's a bad personality or anything, it's just one that a half dozen or so characters already fill

UberJumper posted:

*EDIT* Really again? Guan Yu refuses to give up Jing Province? Also who is Zhuge Liang and why are the Wu people worried about him?

Guan Yu is kind of a butthole when it comes to honor. That said, reading between the lines (or maybe not reading at all there's multiple tellings) Liu Bei never intended to return the province to begin with. You'll find out more about Zhuge Liang in Shu's story, just know for now he's a strategic genius with a lot of irons in the fire

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Incidentally, there's a running joke in Samurai Warriors where Aya thinks Kenshin is girly/should be a girl. I always thought this was just a weird "Oh Aya you so tough and scary" joke but there's actually a theory that exists (about as sound as china discovering america i.e. not very) that the real Kenshin was actually a woman which would explain some odd things about his life. This might have come up in the thread already but it's news to me!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

7:E is another of the good Empires games as the various modes help stretch the gameplay out

I love bladestorm, I honestly have no idea how long it is though because I feel like I've pumped dozens of hours into it but the wiki's reference a slew of characters I've never met and units I've never seen. I haven't even met Joan of Arc!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Instead of real time, make the battles like Warsong (Langrisser). It maps perfectly because you've got the powerful heroes and weak soldiers, and there's a lot you can do adjusting the command radius, stat bonus and map spells as 'tactics' for the more strategisty characters. The idea is literally solid gold and one day Koei will use it and build a statue in my honor

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Samurai Warriors came out a decade ago, remembering even the core people might be rough, especially given art changes over time

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Lu Bu getting worfed by whoever the new badass is supposed to be is one of my favorite little side things in Orochi

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I was going to ignore the Bond thing in ambitions mode until it turned out that, over the course of about six lines of dialogue, every opposite sexed character confesses love and every same sexed character either says you're friends or "friends" to whoever you're currently playing which is silly enough that I'm grinding everyone

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Other people have mentioned this but to reiterate the biggest bottleneck in the first part of Ambitions mode is facility materials. As soon as you unlock one, always send your barracks troops (use the maximum amount of money each time) to get Weapon Materials as you can trade them at the merchant for two facility materials. The game only gives a poo poo about a couple building types so be aware when you upgrade. You can also get materials from the stables.

The second part of Ambitions mode kicks out almost the entirety of your forces and you need to recapture them. Typically, each province will have one playable character as the leader each battle, so once the leader shifts over to a generic officer you'll know it's depleted of playables, and once it shifts over to Unit Commander you'll know it's completely empty. Characters you lose in battle can be gotten again by talking to the dude who sends you on the original ambitions mode missions. There's not really any trick to beating this mode quickly, just try to take control of every base before you beat the leader and you'll take each map in 3-4 tries

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

What's this about a second part? When does it happen?

Should i just throw my 600 generic officers into the skillcinerator before that happens when they'll be gone afterwards anyways?

The second part happens immediately after you complete the first, so once you've gotten the Allies, Fame, and Facility Ranks up and completed the Tongquetai (check under Camp Management). As far as the officers go thats up to you but keep in mind that you need a certain quota to complete the Tongquetai, and you'll lose most of the officers you've skilled up too, though, and need to recapture them. The skills are more useful in part 2, so you can just wait till then if you want.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Bloodly posted:

You wanna explain this? Do you get more slots, do the skills change, do you get upgrades, what?

Well, in the second half it's harder to raise your forces morale, and controlling bases is more important if you want to take territory in as few battles as possible, so I found that the bodyguard skills at a higher level helped out more in winning without getting my own army wrecked. Caveat I generally did not go very far down the battle chain in the first half so it may all balance out.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

He is technically defeatable when you first run into him, but realistically you'll want to replay the mission later on when you've leveled up and gotten better weapons. The mission is designed for you to avoid him so don't sweat it (unless he gets close)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I've had absolutely no problems at 1920x1080 and an xbox controller, that's a pretty vanilla-rear end setup though

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I feel like each gundam game gives me new and different ways to hate quess and hathaway

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Question for those who've played SW4, is the Other (Yellow) side back in some of the battles? That's a weird little feature I didn't realize I missed until I was playing Gundam Reborn

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's definitely the best SW game (they had to apologize for 3, after all), and high up in the ranking for the best Musou game overall.

Random rear end question, do you remember if the third yellow side shows up in any of the maps

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Wrong thread, however slaughtering grunts IS thematically appropriate so thumbs up regardless

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Fuuuuck yes. There was something oddly compelling about the first one, maybe just because the post battle conversations made it a teeny bit like playing an RPG in a Warriors game. Though I am a little suprised they're making another one because the first one just seemed like a Next style early console cash-in and the second was just an XL version of the first

Luminaflare posted:

What did he post about?

A whole bunch of planetside 2 kills in a short period of time (if I was reading it right)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Use your Musou to kill all the mooks. Shoot the carrier with a Charge Shot. Use your musou to kill all the mooks. Repeat.

You... can shoot the carrier?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh that's not so bad then; for a second I was thinking chip-damaging them by killing mooks was the wrong way to do it, sounds like I just wasted a little time instead of a lot

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh my god I've waited so long I'm legit considering this

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Important one, can I still start off the game with kingdoms I've made up from my own created guys and gals? That was so much fun.

It's been too long for me to remember any tips, but yes this is still a thing, you can also sprinkle CAW's based on friends and family all over the board and see what poo poo they get into

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah the second samurai warriors ended up being one of my favorite warriors games. It's kind of weird how some of the characterizations shifted from the first though (Hideyoshi going from drooling capering idiot to goofy guy, Masamune being a simple-minded midget to a hot-headed short dude, Tokugawa) thought maybe that was an after effect of the localization

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Goddamn that's good news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah SW4 is really good. If I had to think of a complaint it'd be that I don't like most of the character designs this time around, it's like a shonen anime after a timeskip

I hope the new chronicles gets localized, the first one was pretty good and making a dude/lady and interacting with SW characters is weirdly entertaining (haven't gotten to chronicles in 4 yet, hopefully it's cool)