Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

I think we've discussed other possible settings, but the issue is that ultimately Warriors games need to appeal to the Japanese market to be commercially viable. Putting aside that issue, one period that I think is ideal for a Warriors treatment is 30 Years War Europe. I don't know how much modern media there is about that era aside from stuff based on the Three Musketeers. At the very least, it'll stir interest in Europe, and I for one would love to play a game that features Cardinal Richeleu beating a thousand soldiers to death with a censure while callling everyone an imbicile.

They've expanded on the Orochi series exclusive characters so much that I feel like they could flesh out a game just about them.

But honestly I wish they'd just focus their efforts on a few brands, the more different games they start to make, the more I get concerned about the futures of the ones I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Unless we start getting some crazy anouncements soon, I'm pretty sure the PS4 isn't going to be out in February 2014 for the game to be released on. I'm just hoping they have a not Wii version that makes it to the US.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
God drat it Koei. How am I supposed to 100% this game if you keep releasing DLC for it?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

Here's some new stuff for Ken's Rage 2. All these dudes are playable this time around.

Can't wait to gently caress poo poo up as Juda.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I hope it's not Slash, that would probably be another wiggly controller Wii disaster.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

So by virtue of owning a 360 rather than a PS3, am I just doomed to never play another Warriors game?

Yes. You'll have to suck it up and buy a PS3 for Warriors games like I did. But at least there are other good games on there as well.

Policenaut posted:

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 is due out February 2013 on PS3/360/Wii U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU72vMKmBCk

NO NO NO NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? DON'T ACKNOWLEDGE HOKUTO NO KEN 2 EXISTS!

On the plus side, everyone seems to attack faster and there's more characters. Thouzer's fight seems to actually take place at the Bloody Cross Pyramid rather than some random quarry.

I'm ready for this. I've been finishing out getting 100% on the first one lately and it's really not that bad of a game now that I've gone back to it. The fighting in the trailer is way faster, too, so that's a plus.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Does anyone know what volume of the manga that One Piece Musou goes up to? I've been reading it when I get the down time to and it's okay so far but I'm ready to start playing the game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Autumncomet posted:

The game ends at volume 60, the last volume before the timeskip. I remember because the cover for volume 61 is almost the same as the cover for volume 1. :unsmith:

Also, the manga starts off slow, but sometime around Water 7, it becomes a thing of beauty. :)

Jesus. I'm only on 22 and thought that I was making good progress. I'm still going to wait it out though, gonna have to find some other Musou game to get my fix from.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I think they already said that Bat and Lin/Rin from ~the future~ are going to be playable.

But yeah, there's no implication there that those are all playable character slots.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Awesome Welles posted:

Wasn't Bat at least shown to be playable in the recent trailer? (e: beaten)

I'm actually really looking forward to this, too. A lot of the gameplay footage has shown that they fixed a bunch of irritating problems from the first game (the ridiculously slow speed of Kenshiro, being able to aim special techniques better, etc.).

But gently caress playing as Toki forever, having to cancel out of nearly every combo to avoid his sick rear end coughing and wheezing was not fun at all.

His dream mode was awesome because he was healed in it, so he didn't have that poo poo. He was an absolute wrecking ball without getting stunned after every combo.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
One Piece: Pirate Warriors is going to be on sale for 40% off ($29.99) for PS+ members this week.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually from the layout I don't believe that is Famitsu, unless they have changed a lot. Maybe Shonen Jump's game section or something?

Anyway that's odd. DW6 was a failure so it makes sense to bring out DW7 as soon as they could after, but 7 was awesome, why replace it so soon?

Dynasty Warriors 7 will be two years old in March. Even if this came out then, two years isn't unreasonably quick these days.

E: It looks like 2 or 2 1/2 years between Dynasty Warriors numbered releases seems like the norm.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 30, 2012

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

The official page is open.

It says there will be "what if" scenarios for if generals had survived certain battles. If done right that could be really cool...if done right.

Yess... I miss this from some of the older games. Rolling up into He Fei castle as Sun Jian and having a showdown between Cao Cao and Liu Bei at Wuzhang Plains.

Edit: And more than one or two levels as Pang Tong.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 1, 2012

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

I remember Zhuge Liang's ghost appearing in the second-to-last Jin campaign. And though it was pretty :psyduck: at first, I was disappointed nothing more was done with it. I was half expecting the entire pass to ignite on fire, but nope, he was in and out of there and there was no further mention of it.

So a new Dynasty Warrior Game :toot: I suppose this means I'll need to get a PS3 or WiiU. Probably the latter-nothing else that's on the PS3 but not the 360 excites me, and both Bayonetta 2 and WO3 Hyper have sparked my interest in getting a WiiU.

You only say this because you haven't played Sengoku Basara 3.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

I find it harder to find a character I don't like to play rather than list out my favorites.

Pretty much the only character I hate to play as is Goemon.

I also hate Goemon but I think Benkei is actually worse. But either way they are probably the only two unplayably bad characters in the game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

Bunch of new Ken's Rage 2 videos up:

Well combat looks a hell of a lot better, which was really the worst part in the last one. Also it releases in about three months, so that's nice.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

That's two Musou releases in one month. I can't wait.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

U.T. Raptor posted:

I liked 6E, honestly. Officer mode was pretty cool. Also, it has Meng Huo's best weapon and moveset ever.

6E was awesome because you could make a ridiculous looking big burly man and give him Diao Chan or Zhang He's move set and laugh your rear end off.

Schubalts posted:

Japanese 360 marketshare and non-Japanese sales figures.

Not to mention that the amount of money they save by just translating text and changing the region on the Playstation market rather than doing an actual game release probably saves them a poo poo ton of money.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I also got DW7 for the 360 and got XL for the PS3. But I got DW7 as well. Honestly, I plowed through DW7 when it came out and it was a good year or so later by the time I started playing it for the PS3 so having to do Story and Conquest again didn't feel too bad.

There are some really cool new scenarios in Legend mode, and some cool classic stages too. DW5 Bai Di was one of my favorites and it's back.

Legend Mode also has the challenges like they used to have back in the day to unlock new weapons. Stuff like kill officer X before officer Y on Chaos or higher difficulty to unlock weapon Z. These weapons are good, but still not as good as the DLC joke weapons.

Also you eventually get a dude in your little town that lets you buy stat increases and skill points. It's around 2,000 - 3,000 gold for an upgrade that can be 10-15 life, defense, or attack and about the same amount for 10 power or speed. I can't really remember about skill points but I want to say the cost is around the same and you get about 400 to 600 skill points. Also the levels in Legend mode scale their gold rewards with difficulty, I seem to get around 30,000 gold for one Chaos stage completion which then translates to 10 to 15 stat upgrades. You also get about 3,000 to 20,000 gold per stage once you get the merchant and your partner warrior guy will give you random bursts of 25,000 to 30,000 gold.

So what I'm saying is, if you're like me and are a total completionist for Musou games, this gives you a lot better route to hit max stats on everyone than just DW7 does.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Enemies would actually back away from you and beg you not to kill them if they actually saw you kill some of their friends in the first one. It doesn't happen that often though.

Glad to hear they got rid of jumping, because even though there wasn't a whole lot of platforming, it all sucked horribly.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

I started playing the demo but got too bored to even finish it. Killing x grunts to proceed is NOT a fun goal for a musou game, grunts are just there as interference while you seek out and fight enemy generals/capture forts and stuff.

Also no matter what they do with Kenshiro, he is just NOT going to be as much fun to play in this kind of game as a south star person would be. In the end, Shin was the only one I liked playing as in the first game.

edit: I can't believe they made the same mistake they did with the first game, trying to cram musou mechanics into a traditional action game format. They are just awful for that. Really, they're just awful for almost everything, the only reason I give them a pass usually is because you can tear around like a maniac with almost nothing restricting your movement, but this game is full of walls and corridors and stuff.

No, grunts are there to build up your musou meter. :colbert: But yeah, I agree, I can't believe anyone would think that killing grunts is an acceptable thing to make a main objective.

Also Shin was pretty much the best guy in the last game and aside from Raoh and healthy Toki there was a pretty even split between Top Tier (South Star dudes) and Bottom Tier (everyone else).

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Looking like it's an expansion of 7 for the most part, which isn't a terrible thing. More decloning and polishing can only help.

Kinda wish they went back to the daggers for Gan Ning, was unique and fitting. Lu Meng is unique through everyone else being given different weapons.

Biggest test is whether they leave all the sword kings the same again. Xiahou Dun was out in expansions, but that's still Sun Quan/Jian, Cao Cao, and Sima Zhao sporting it. As far as screenshots can say, looks like Sun Jian still has it, but it was based off his 6 moveset anyway, so if anyone keeps it it should be him.

If you appropriate the rest of the 7DLC weapons not included in XL/Orochi as a guess of who they're meant for:

Boomerang: Zhu Rong
Buckler Blade: Cao Ren
Wands: Da Qiao?
Lightning Rapier: Sima Shi?
Ring: Ding Feng?
Ko: I never understood who this was meant to be for or who'd it make sense to give to. I think it's MASTER OF THE KO stage is held by Gan Ning but he still had the Sickle in Orochi, soo...

It basically leaves the only clones as the sword, twin swords(Liu Bei/Lu Xun) and rapier(Yuan Shao/Liu Shan). Not perfect, but a hell of an improvement.

Don't Pang Tong and Zhang Jiao both still use staffs? I've got Zhang Jiao using the Pugil Sticks (wands) in DW7XL since they are goofy and magic and their alternates look like flowers which fits his hippie Original costume.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Aren't they bringing back the ability to switch weapons and wield any weapon as any character? If so, I doubt they're going to have different officers have different move sets with different weapons rather than just going with EX attacks like DW7.

Also I went to have One Piece: Pirate Warriors download while I was at work today and the network was down. :( I finally read through chapter 600 (and then some) and now I have to wait another day to play it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Himuro posted:

I disagree about there not being many enemies on screen. In the last map I did with Ginchiyo, there were a poo poo load of spearmen and archers in a cramped up castle room. As for generals in SW2 not being able to handle their own, I like that. It gives the game a lot of tension.

I don't know about "liking" it but you definitely get used to it. Your role as a player is much more vital to keep the battle from going to hell rather than just being a battering ram to the enemy commander. As mentioned above, this is kind of how it's always been until recently but SW2 is probably the most difficult in that regard.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Yeah, they both still use the Shaman Rod. Zhuge Liang/Zhuge Dan/Sima Yi all share the Feather Fan too, forgot about those. I could see Sima Yi getting his ridiculous claws back, in spite of them trying to 'soften' him since he's now the Patriarch of Jin.

I forgot about the fan clan, too. But I'm okay with them being the same because the strategist fan move set is awesome and all three of their EX attacks are good. Plus Zhuge Liang and Sima Yi need their fans, just like Cao Cao and Sun Jian/Quan need swords.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's weird, I remember it being the easiest one. One particular time I remember running right into the enemy's stronghold where literally twelve enemy generals were and somehow killing all of them myself, and I think I was even under-leveled.

Starting out it's definitely hard, but it curves way back the other way once you get some stats and weapons. The upper levels of the tower can get kind of tough too if you don't have a murder machine like maxed out Keiji/Tadakatsu/Musashi.

I got to spend some time with One Piece Pirate Warriors last night. At first I was okay with the platforming QTE stuff, but after the temple at Alabasta and Water 7 I was pretty fed up with it. I don't really remember Luffy spending an hour in the temple jumping around four different rooms and rotating cat statues to solve puzzles so I'm not sure why they put it in the game. Mostly I was just irritated because it makes it not such an ideal game to play after having a few beers.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 5, 2012

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

GET READY FOR MORE ONE PIECE

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 was announced in today's issue of Weekly Jump. This one will be on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.

I can't wait until I finally read enough of the manga to not be cheated by the original game. I'm on volume 17! Only like... 43 volumes to go! :shepicide:

Well you're half way to where it starts to get really good. Seriously, I just read through it all so I could play the game and Volume 34 is where they get to Water 7 which is where it really started to hold my interest. Around 50 or 51 is where it gets pretty hard to put down.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

This sounds pretty encouraging. I'm already really enjoying the manga so far, it sort of reminds me of DBZ only things actually happen and its got pirates. I just wish it would lay off on the flash backs at a little. That volume which turned into a giant flashback halfway right as Luffy started fighting the Ice King was such a god drat tease.

Yeah this is a complaint of mine, the flashbacks for the most part seemed boring and way too long. There is a flashback for the crewmember you're about to see them pick up that's really good though. My only other complaint would be that the next saga you will get to (Skypiea saga) seemed way too long and not as good as it could have been.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

WickedIcon posted:

So, since 2 and 3 are both pretty cheap and I don't really care about the original mode, I should probably grab both of them. :)

And honestly I don't really care about it feeling weird to beat up hordes of enemies in gundams, I just want a badass robot fighting game for 360 with characters I recognize.

I would highly recommend playing them both, and starting with DWG2, obviously. They are both good and you will appreciate a lot of the changes made in DWG3 if you play DWG2 first. Also, if your a completionist then DWG2 may destroy you.

I played DWG2 having only seen Wing back in the day and before DWG3 came out I watched Z, G, 0079, and some of ZZ and it didn't bother me that the battles were more populated and action packed than they are in the show. I'm also realizing that Koei games are turning me to an anime guy, which is kind of weird.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I still can't believe that they put Schwartz in but not the Spiegel Gundam.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I feel like I must have played a different game than you guys becaus Guo Huai was okay, Ding Feng Deng Ai was cool, and Sima Yi was awesome as hell but everyone else was poo poo.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 6, 2012

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Honest Thief posted:

One Piece Warriors is going to be on promo at the psn store; can someone give me a quick overview of it? Or should I just wait for a better game?

I just bought it this week at full price. :(

It's a fun enough game, I imagine if you get it cheap enough it won't seem too bad. It is pretty lacking in content, the main story is 13 levels of Luffy, four of which are QTE platforming levels with bosses at the end. There are little things throughout the game that really makes it seem like they just kind of slapped it together.

I'm not unhappy with the game, but it's probably the worst Musou game I've played.

Onion Rings posted:

Whoah wait did one piece warriors come out in the US? Is it good if I know nothing about the manga but love Dynasty Warriors games like a fiend?

Honestly, the story itself is so lightly sprinkled throughout the game that it's not like you need to be familiar with the series to play it but I imagine that a lot of the characters won't seem as interesting if you don't know anything about them.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

socialsecurity posted:

They have only been to 2 locations in the New World I'm not sure how they can make a whole game out of that.

Well the first one mostly "takes place" during the first trip to Sabaody Archipelago as Luffy and the others are basically catching Brook up on what happened before they met. Then you get levels for the rest of the pre-timeskip events after that.

kissekatt posted:

You do know that you don't actually have to do achievements, right?

You don't actually have to play the games at all, but here we are.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 is coming to Europe next Summer. Tecmo Koei Europe always confirms this stuff way in advance of TK USA so you can just assume that it's going to happen in North America. Only the PS3 version is confirmed so far.

That's a little sooner than I expected. With DW7E out in February and SW4 out in February '14, I wonder if they're going to try and slide DW8 in as a fall release a little after this.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Himuro posted:

http://youtu.be/IckAI_1_3bI

Dynasty Warriors 8 trailer.

Holy poo poo.

That horse sequence from Chi Bi. :stare:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Famitsu gave Shin Hokuto Musou 37/40. Does anyone remember what they gave the first one?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm sure there will be plenty of classic costume pack DLC for those who prefer older models.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Leaping Mutton posted:

Did I see playable Enel? I think I saw Playable Enel.

Definitely saw that. Can't wait to play as some bad guys. I hope we get to play as some Baroque Works or CP9 dudes. It would be awesome playing as Kaku, mowing down dudes as a sword wielding giraffe.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ambivalent posted:

Oh no
Congress gonna ban our musou, RIP.

Pokemon and historical hack 'n slash games? We're doomed!

Edit: Is there a translated version of Romance of Three Kingdoms (as in the books) that is generally considered as the best? Looking at getting it for someone for Christmas.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ambivalent posted:

Yeah, the designs get busier and busier with each iteration.

This is my complaint. I don't think that the costumes have ever looked overwhelmingly "Chinese" but they sure have been a lot simpler. I recently went through and set everyone's costume to my favorite in WO3 and I've found that a lot of the older costumes were kind of better but the heads look like poo poo. I've also been surprised at how DW6 costumes I prefer over DW7 costumes.