Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

Looks like an iPhone based collectable card game with the Orochi IP.

I've never been this happy to see that something is a phone game. I am not prepared for another Warriors Orochi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNCtC00qO_o

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 official trailer

I hope this ends up good. I've been playing more of the first one and really the only problems with it are the QTE platforming sections and the fact that there are only nine different levels across all the characters.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Twelve by Pies posted:

"There weren't enough open spaces" isn't really a problem I had with the first one. I assume they're just taking feedback from the Japanese fans though, and maybe they didn't mind only having nine stages and almost no story mode whatsoever, or really terrible action stages. Unless "more open space" means "less lovely action stuff," then that would fix at least one of my complaints.

People have been complaining about the side games basically being a "corridor and rooms" design for a while now. Personally I feel like OPPW feels less like you're constantly running through corridors than any of the other games since the "corridors" are really short and the maps are so visually open. I can understand them wanting to control the flow of a map but it is kind of frustrating that their idea of doing it in at least three of their series is to just give you rooms connected by hallways when they do such a (mostly) great job of using terrain and forts and what not in DW/SW/WO.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I also thought the short pike was generic but tolerable. Which seems okay to me considering that there are like 70 other people to play as and it's not like anyone should want to play as Jiang Wei any more than absolutely necessary anyway.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

It happens to me every time I play a different game that is not XL. Like say I play XL then play WO3 then go back to XL it'll need DW7 again if I want that content. This is still slightly better than the 3-5 XL games that needed to be switched every time no matter what.

Yeah, it just stores the poo poo in memory so even if you just go a couple of days without playing you have to do it again. Personally I'd rather have to swap the disc once per game than have all of DW7 sitting on my hard drive.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

The GIG posted:

I don't know, I felt once they got to a higher level, the SW characters were way more fun to play as since they often had more variety in their attacks compared to the mostly cloned DW cast. Even the DW characters that got decloned just for WO3 (Xiahou Yuan, Jiang Wei, and Sima Shi are the ones off the top of my head that got major revamps to their charges and moveset) for the most part just feel too close to the base set.

I gotta disagree. I never felt like there was an overwhelming amount of variety in the SW crew's moves and I never felt that the DW guys were lacking it. What I do know is that most SW people can't stay still during their attacks and it makes it annoying trying to do Chaos levels with them.

The handful of cloned movesets don't bother me either, since I'm completely changing my team every two or three stages. It's hard to even notice that some people are similar if you've gone 20 or so stages between similar movesets.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

That said, some SW characters still play well in spite of the disadvantages. Hideyoshi has really good combos and range, Katsuie has always been made for thousands of enemies, Ranmaru seems like he'd come out pretty good at higher level play, Kiyomasa has a better scythe moveset than Yue Ying. I think their are less comically 'bad' SW characters (really, only Imagawa and Goemon come to mind - meant to be terrible and hasn't been updated since SW1. And Mitsunari. gently caress Ishida) then 'bad' DW characters (Xu Zhu and Huang Gai are terrible due to the club moveset, the Rapier is usable but not really fun). Even the lower end middle of the pack characters probably play better - (Okuni/No/Shingen > Zhenji/Iron Fan/Greatsword).

:psyduck:

I'm pretty sure Xiahou Ba is universally regarded as one of the best if not the best character in the game. Also the Qiaos are remarkably better than Okuni and Shingen. Xu Zhu and Huang Gai are at least measurably better.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Suben posted:

One of the things I'm hoping they fix in 8 that kind of seemed odd to me is the lack of in-battle events compared to previous games besides "(faction) reinforcements have arrived!" and such. Like no stuff such as Pang Tong chaining the ships together at Chibi or Ma Dai assassinating Wei Yan on Zhuge Liang's orders; it's only hinted at before the Wuzhang Plains which is kind of weird considering it's Ma Dai's most notable moment.

The magical land of benevolence won't permit this. Instead, Ma Dai runs to his rescue and they bro it out throughout a couple of XL missions.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Suben posted:

Sun Jian is great but apparently DW8 is going to have What If scenarios so I'd imagine "Sun Jian not dying" would be one of them. Really hope they do some more to differentiate the Yellow Turban Rebellion stages between forces if only to have Sun Jian's deal where he climbs the walls of Wancheng himself leading his army into the city to gently caress the Turbans up.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just went back to the way the did it in the early games where they had so few people that they just kept everyone who was part of a faction alive until He Fei Castle and Wu Zhang Plains.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I did a weird thing today. I popped in DW6 because I still have some crap to do to 100% it and after DW7 Empires comes out it will be even harder to go back to. If you thought it was bad back when, just try going back to playing it after DW7 and WO3. Renbu is The Worst Thing.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, yet another Musou game based on a property I know next to nothing about.

I know a decent amount about it and I'm not that excited. I feel like they would be better off doing a Super Sentai game and I would certainly have preferred it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I feel like Wei Yan's helmets have been getting progressively worse.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

You may have forgotten his very first helmet which looked a whole heck of a lot like a luchador mask.

His costume from the "Original" costume pack is straight up a luchador costume and it is awesome. Dressed as a luchador and smacking people with some kayak oars.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Zhang Liao is my favorite dude from the Three Kingdoms. Or maybe Guan Yu. Or Sima Yi.

poo poo I don't know, but Zhang Liao gets bonus points for being a god damned wrecking ball in DW7 and WO3.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 is coming to North America this summer as a digital exclusive. The Vita version is not being localized in either NA or EU.

That means it'll be out right around when I finish up Ken's Rage 2 and DW7E, which is pretty awesome. I may still wait until it's on sale for PS+ members though.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

Two new characters revealed in this week's Shonen Jump for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2

It looks like it says that the release date in Japan is March 20th. I feel like they're really dumping out Musou games over these few months.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I really don't think DW7 has any more cloned move sets than the previous games. But with different musous and EX attacks those cloned move sets are a lot less noticeable.

With XL you get 42 different weapons, which is more than enough variety for me. It looks like we're getting a fair amount more in DW8 so I'm pretty happy with that.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Ybrik posted:

You must not remember 6 very well, they almost had more clones than uniques.

Yeah, in DW6 weapons have the same movesets for each character that has them aside from musou attacks. There were more unique weapons in DW7 and you get the EX attacks.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

Earlier last year for the anniversary Koei said they were making a Samurai Warriors 4.

From last page, but they also said that it should be coming out March of next year.

What bums me out is the lack of news for another Dynasty Warriors Gundam. I'm wondering if DWG3 flopped too hard and they just aren't going to do any more.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

TTBF posted:

Was it a flop? I never heard that.

I have no idea how well it sold but the reviews were pretty bad. Even for a musou game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

I've been reading the manga the entire time, because all of my super anime friends told me up and down not to watch the anime.

From your previous posts it looks like you're plowing through the manga. Thriller Bark was just kind of okay in my opinion but it's not as long and poo poo pretty much gets crazy from the end of it all the way through chapter 600 or so where PW1 ends.

Also, anyone who was disappointed in PW1 should go back and give it another chance. I thought I was done with it after I cleared the main story but decided to pick it up again a couple months later and it's a lot more fun that I gave it credit for. It's fun of neat little touches like having a special attack where Chopper pops three rumble balls and being able to equip coins that give players new equipment like the Climatact, the Kabuto, and Zoro's later swords.

The game is actually pretty fun when you get the hang of it and once you can put the platforming bullshit behind you.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I wasn't sure that Law would be the Supernova that I wanted to be fleshed out into a full character but they've developed him well and he's an enjoyable enough character with an interesting power. Plus he has his own :smug: den den mushi / transponder snail.

The exciting thing is that Law and Punk Hazard being in means that the game is going right up to where the story is right now. Assuming they clean up the gameplay itself, I think a new OPPW game every year or two with a "here's the new arc, and we've fleshed out some of the older stuff and added more characters" type deal would be pretty awesome.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Belzac posted:

Sounds like free mode from every other DW game ever. Even DW2 had that feature. Such is the times we live in where old things that were taken out and are now added back are now new things.

I'm pretty sure the point is that battles that only exist from one faction or another's perspective will be playable from the other side in Free Mode. I can't think of a Dynasty Warriors game where you could choose a side in a battle in Free Mode that wasn't already part of a campaign.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Static Rook posted:

I just did that exact thing. Haven't played since 3 and picked up 7. I am now looking to get every single Musou game I can. I've already got 7XL coming in the mail, and I'm eagerly awaiting 7 Empires. I'm also trying to decide if I want Warriors Orochi 3, One Piece, or Ken Rage's 2 for more "killin' thousands of dudes" action with a different skin on top.

So yes, start with DW7.

In One Piece and Ken's Rage (and presumably Ken's Rage 2) the fights are on a lot smaller scale. It's not uncommon in either game to finish levels with less than 100 kills. Also Warriors Orochi 3 is like musou perfection so you should definitely get that.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

MG42 posted:

Yup, it's just the mooks though, officers are unaffected. There's also no DLC released yet other than christmas costumes.
On the other hand you get 4 extras, a duel mode and offscreen play.
As for co-op, there's both offline and online co-op, but afaik you can only play stages both players have unlocked.

I've actually had officers hidden in crowds twice in WO3 for the PS3, I just had to thin the crowd enough to get them to show up.

Suben posted:

My favorite part of VIRTUOUS SHU in DW7 is how it completely omits that the reason Zhang Fei's men killed him was because he was a physically abusive drunk who'd beat the poo poo out of them and they finally had enough of it.

At least they are starting to make reference to him being an angry drunk. In one of the stages in DW7XL, Lu Bu says "You're head would look good on my mantle! If you can drag it out of the wine cask long enough!" which is pretty much my favorite line ever.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

I really hope, some day, they can pull off a Warriors Orochi: Empires game, and have one special campaign dedicated to Zhang Fei being your virtuous leader who wants to bring keggers and hangovers to Chinapan.

I would be down with this just because they set up all these extra cross-generation relationships and poo poo throughout the games that are more or less just there for background dialog and justification of some missions. It would be cool to have a game where everyone was just like "Welp, can't unify Japan/Chin so let's just spend a couple of decades building new kingdoms and finding new reasons to fight people I used to chill with."

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought Ken's Rage was the pinnacle of butt rock.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Chortles posted:

"what if Guo Jia was at Chibi"

Guo Jia thwarts Zhuge Liang's first major victory and throws a big rear end boat party with booze and women. :getin:

Also, I thought Zuo Ci was confirmed a while ago?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

Any given map is bloated with sub-objectives that are virtually impossible to hit until you open them up for free-play.

This is exactly the reason I've only got like one or two hours in the game. I'm too much of a sperg to be happy with only completing a third of the objectives that are constantly flashing up on your screen.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

On the plus side, it's not nearly as bad as Gundam 2's friendship system.

Nothing is. Every now and then I bust it out and spend a weekend trying to grind out some missions and relations for some pilot or other and it's just insane. I did some rough calculations and it should take me somewhere between 1500 and 2000 hours played to get every pilot friendly with every other pilot and complete all missions with every pilot.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

You only need to get everyone friendly with one pilot for the trophy, if that's what you're after. Then again that's still a colossal undertaking. It took me around 150 hours before I reached the end goal (then got YLOD 8 missions away from Platinum).

Yeah, I know that. I just want to put an honest effort into "100%ing" the whole game. Right now I've got all the achievements but the movie one because I haven't gone back and redone the Story mode missions to get the alternate movies. I've got Amuro and Master Asia friendly with everyone and with all missions completed and a few people on their way to that at about 300 or 400 hours played. Which is kind of funny to compare to DWG3 where doing everything that the game keeps track of will run you maybe 100 hours.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
See, I always thought they just gave "Generic Female Ninja named Female Ninja" in the first SW a name and a story when they made Nene. But then they went and decided we needed both.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Dawnfire posted:

Anyone remember when the PSN updates? They've changed it over the years (I think) so I'm never sure what time something new is going to pop up on it. Cause I need me some DW7:E yesterday. Wish they'd do what steam does and release new stuff at midnight.

As far as we know, this game has full online co-op right? I know some of the other recent DW entries have had online co-op, but the idea of it for an empires game makes me giddy. Wanna goof around in ancient China with some friends and goons.

As far as know it's "any time before midnight Eastern time". But I don't know if the EU store updates differently.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

I woke up early so I could start the download and have DW7E ready to play when I got home from work...only I can't find the game on Playstation Store. Am I missing something?

Like Too Bad said, it doesn't update right when it rolls over to Tuesday. Last week it updated at 11:00 PM Eastern so brace yourself for disappointment and expect to play it tomorrow like me.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

PureRok posted:

I hate bullshit like this. They might as well say the game comes out on the 27th. Valve does the same thing sometimes with releases and it's supremely irritating and maybe even a little annoying.

I know. I wish I could be an adult and resolve to myself that there's nothing I can do about it and just set in my mind that releases just come out on Wednesdays but I can't.

That said, tomorrow is the last of 14 days in a row that I've had to work so I'm really stoked to sit down with some beer and this game tomorrow night though I should probably spend some time with my girlfriend instead and will probably just pass out for like 16 hours.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Aw yeah. Gonna download that game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sonata Mused posted:

Obviously do it as Lu Bu.

Give Lu Bu Bao Sanniang's moveset and a nice guy personality.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Making characters from other games or shows or whatever is where it's at. I can only hope that some day we get a character creator that's just ripped straight from Saints Row 3.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Is there a list of or can maybe people just post some of the characters who are fairly significant but are still generic officers in this game? I'd like to start filling out some of these with custom characters. I think I might just start with the people who are going to be added in DW8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

More characters and a demo coming for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2.

Sheesh though, this is getting kind of ridiculous. I can't even remember Marco or any of these dudes who look like generic Pirate generals in PW1.

I don't know about the anime, but in the manga you see Marco fight more than you do Garp as far as I'm concerned. It's really cool though, they seem to be pulling out all the stops for playable characters this time around.