Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got a WO3 question: how do I get an officer to do his "WTF I'm fighting myself?" line.

I wish that game's level editor was more robust. It feels like a complete :effort: job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

To further kick mud at DW6, I was less than thrilled with a few of the stages. Some of them were terrible from their objective (Playing the Wei side of Chang'ban feels like getting your junk caved in). But the worst offender is DW6's version of the Stone Mazes at Yiling. That poo poo can go gently caress itself.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

If Dian Wei is the Vin Diesel of the Three Kingdoms, then Sun Jian is the Liam Neeson. :colbert:

And Zhang He is the Johnny Depp :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still think it dishes out considerably less damage per musou bar, and is usually harder to aim than a Chinese musou attack too.

On the other hand, when the AI uses a Musou, the SW types (along with Orochi-specific character, like Himiko) are much deadlier because theirs no lead-up animation before they launch their attack. With the DW caracters, you have a precious 1 to 2 seconds to get the gently caress out of the way. (or at least activate your own musou)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I wasn't bothered by the copy-paste move-sets in DW7, but having played WO3 I really appreciate how everyone has their own unique move-pattern even when using similar weapons. Is their any word on how this is going to work in DW7E?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Himuro posted:

Having Gundams in WO3 would have been amazing.

It certainly would have made the Hydra stages more interesting, rather than all those loving turrets.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was playing WO3 last night and looking over the achievement list, and saw that somehow I hadn't gotten the one for using every siege engine. At first I was wondering what I was missing, until I rememebered that the Juggernauts and Pyrocannons counted as different vehicles even though they controlled exactly the same :psyduck:.

I'm now trying to remember which stages have pyrocannons specifically so I can knock that one out.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Belzac posted:

I got a Glacion. Mostly cause I hate all the ice types in this game (except for Articuno). It doesn't really matter what you pick though since after you beat the main quest you won't be seeing your hero for a very long time.

I found Lapras to be drat good doing Mitsuhide's campaign. It helped that by the end he was a beast (I think I got my link over 60%)

My favorite type has been Fight. The Timburr line is beastly.

ExMortis posted:

Does Oichi have gold link with any good Pokemon? The only one I ever found besides _iggly_uff was that weird floating tumor/fetus that does Hypnosis, and that's pretty dumb. I hated that I had to take her on every major battle.

She has gold-link with several solid Pokemon, including Eevee. I can't remember if she has one with Magikarp/Gyrados, but I think she does.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 16, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, compared to any other games I have played, allied generals go down crazy fast in Sengoku 3. Other than that it seems like the normal deal, except for carrying items rather than finding them in the field.

Do they at least refrain from screaming for help every minute whenever faced with something more threatening than a gate guard? I got really sick of that in SW2.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Policenaut posted:

Famitsu talked to a bunch of game creators and the Warriors dude (Kenichi Ogasawara) was there. He had some interesting stuff to say! Apparently he wants to create a "third pillar" of Musou games to stand alongside Dynasty and Samurai, and that he also wants to make an open world Warriors game.

I think we've discussed other possible settings, but the issue is that ultimately Warriors games need to appeal to the Japanese market to be commercially viable. Putting aside that issue, one period that I think is ideal for a Warriors treatment is 30 Years War Europe. I don't know how much modern media there is about that era aside from stuff based on the Three Musketeers. At the very least, it'll stir interest in Europe, and I for one would love to play a game that features Cardinal Richeleu beating a thousand soldiers to death with a censure while callling everyone an imbicile.

No idea what an open world Warriors game would even be like, though.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

abagofcheetos posted:

I'm actually amazed they haven't done something involving zombies with the system. Not that I want them to, mind you.

Well, Kiyamori Tiara is technically a zombie. :goonsay:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Belzac posted:

I thought the zero suit Samus and Link being in DW: VS was silly. This is a whole new level.

When did what? My abbreviation-fu is failing me.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Belzac posted:

No abbreviation needed. Dynasty Warriors VS (versus) is a 3DS Dynasty Warriors game that focuses on co-op and PvP. It also has Nintendo characters you can make in the CAW.

Link looks mighty squinty-eyed there.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

kissekatt posted:

Why stick with military history? I want to unleash Deng Xiaoping's musou on the Gang of Four.

Hell, doesn't even need to be a political figure either.

Imagine if Bruce Lee was in a Warriors game? :swoon:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

OneDeadman posted:

Samus would probably work out pretty well for a Musou Character too.

As long as it isn't the "Other M" Samus :v:.

I was curious...does anyone use block while playing a Warriors game?

As for WO3 Hyper, between this and Bayonetta 2, I think the Wii U has officially moved onto my "would like to get" list

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

Both the games and the TV series are based on the novel (plus it's easier to Flanderize Cao Cao to "ambition" and Liu Bei to "virtue", Ma Chao to "justice", et al., instead of giving them shades of gray), but the director and actor Chen Jianbin specifically wanted to diverge from the novel and treat him with a modern perspective.

Mind you, the later Sun family arcs and Lu Su are also divergent...

This. Koei figured out that in a game about plowing through hundreds of soldiers in a mission, the best tone to go for is melodramatic and incredibly hammy, which makes presenting a nuanced picture of the characters difficult.

EDIT:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think most action games are like that, there's a block feature but it hardly ever gets used because dodging is almost always better. Demon's/Dark Souls is the only counterexample I can really think of.

In the God of War series, the block function is pretty important because there are some attacks that can't be effectively dodged, and the addition of a strong counter actually makes it preferable when you are able to master it.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 18, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno, I can't remember any un-dodgable attacks (because your dodge-roll thing is so long range), but plenty of unblockable attacks, and the counterattack isn't as good as just doing a normal attack string after dodging, I think.

Blocking lets you keep your combo going, and after getting the golden fleece you can totally mess up medusas by throwing their gaze attacks right back at them. And there are a couple of bosses that have attacks that have ridiculous hit-range which can be blocked.

In the original I'll admit that it wasn't as useful, but it becomes necessary in the sequels, especially on harder difficulties.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Policenaut posted:

Oh and in actual news, Tecmo Koei is announcing a new Dynasty Warriors thing on November 1st. A lot of news comments I'm reading make the guess that it's something to do with Wii U, like maybe a version of DW7 for it.

At the very least, they should make the Pokemon Conquest outfits unlockable in WO3 Hyper (young bare-chested Nobunaga :syoon:)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Some more comments about SW2E, since it's 1 of 2 Empires games I've played (the other is DE6E.

There isn't much grand strategy besides "secure one end of the map so only have two active fronts" which is stupidly easy unless you start on one of the regional maps that isn't Kyushu or Oshu. Like the DWE games, there are different setups based on time period, with a scenario battle based around whichever big battle was going on at the time. There really isn't any econ strategy besides "Get enoungh gold to acquire lvl3 weapons", and diplomacy basically amounts to getting the AI to agree to a cease fire while you go beat some other folks up.

For battles, there is a neat feature where you and your opponent have "Maneuver Cards." The goal of course is to play weak versus strong, but all it amounts to is giving one side or the other a buff. There are also other tactics and troop types that can be brought in to complement your guys.

As for the fighting itself, it feels like a step forward and a step backward from SW2. On the one hand your allied AI officers don't seem like helpless kittens in constant need of rescuing. On the other hand, your much more fragile and need to exercise caution when fighting officers, which I feel goes against the flow of a musou game. Also, the limits of being a PS2 port show because there really are not a lot of troops on any given map. Which, again, kinda goes against the spirit of the game.

Overall, I would recommend it to existing fans of the series. But it's not something to start off with.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

DW6E also has an officer mode that lets you wander different kingdoms. Unfortunately it's based off of Dynasty Warrior 6-and while I'd much rather play 6E than 6, it still has a lot of issues.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Those of you who are fans of the Touhou games will like this video. For anyone who isn't...I'm not sure where to begin.

DW crew dancing to 'Percival Sisters on Drugs'

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

Explains a lot about Liu Shan, I'll give it that.

If I wasn't so in love with spinning Okuu, I'd ask for a .gif of Liu Bei for my avatar (with your quote as the text, most likely :tipshat: )

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ybrik posted:

Edit: Tell Koei to make Jin's story mode exactly the same as Lu Bu's in 6. Ghosts out the rear end and they all want to fight.

I remember Zhuge Liang's ghost appearing in the second-to-last Jin campaign. And though it was pretty :psyduck: at first, I was disappointed nothing more was done with it. I was half expecting the entire pass to ignite on fire, but nope, he was in and out of there and there was no further mention of it.

So a new Dynasty Warrior Game :toot: I suppose this means I'll need to get a PS3 or WiiU. Probably the latter-nothing else that's on the PS3 but not the 360 excites me, and both Bayonetta 2 and WO3 Hyper have sparked my interest in getting a WiiU.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was gonna say "lack of competition keeps them from innovating" but there is Basara now too, so what gives?

It's especially annoying because the heavy-hitting guys like Lu Bu are around the last to unlock, but if you want to use them, you have to replay all the easier missions to bring them up to speed with your normal dudes.

EDIT: regardign WO3 Hyper: I hope KOEI takes the effort to improve the Stage Editor. It seems like it would have a lot of potential, but the options are so limited it hardly seems worth it.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 2, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

It's a nod to an incident from an encounter in the novel when Zhong Hui had a vision of Zhuge Liang's spirit appearing before him to treat the people of Shu well.

So...why was it Deng Ai that encounters him?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Zhong Hui wasn't in 6.

I think we are either getting wires crossed.

Deng Ai and Zhong Hui are in DW7 as playable characters. Neither were playable in 6. The second to last Jin mission had you playing Deng Ai as he cuts through the mountains, which is where you fight Zhuge Liang's ghost.

My question was if the story has Zhong Hui speaking to Zhuge Liang's spirit, then why in the game is it Deng Ai that encounters him?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Damnit, I really want DW7E, but that means buying a PS3, and I need money for other things :negative:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

There is one thing I dislike about SW2. Well, two things.

First, the limited number of enemies is notable. This isn't even an issue of being a PS2 port-Warriors Orochi 2 was also on the PS2 and that game felt like it had a lot more enemies. For me the fun of a Warriors has always been plowing through a group of enemies like a lawnmower in a Football stadium.

Second, and more problematic, is that allied officers are for the most part helpless kittens that can't get anything done on their own. And they will also never. Shut. The. gently caress. Up. It doesn't matter if it's Tadakatsu baring down on them or a single outpost captain in their way, they are incapable of making forward progress until you personally take care of it. And both difficulties get treated with the same urgency, forcing you to take a look at the game map to see if they're really in danger or if you're attention should be elsewhere. And sometimes that small crowd of mooks you assumed they could handle will manage to rout them even though you could plow through them yourself in less than three seconds.

Bitching aside, I still thought it was a lot of fun. The story mode was also enjoyable for the most part, and not just for the blatant bromance vibe between Mitsuhide and Nobunaga.

EDIT:

Jibo posted:

Aren't they bringing back the ability to switch weapons and wield any weapon as any character? If so, I doubt they're going to have different officers have different move sets with different weapons rather than just going with EX attacks like DW7.

I think one solution would be to assign every officer a 'style.' Each style will have a unique moveset for a given weapon. So, for example, Guan Yu has the "Cavalry" style while Lu Meng has the "Strategist" style. (proceed to :words: about whether these examples are appropriate). Both have the Pike as their primary weapon, but because they have different styles, they have different move sets. Not only that, but if you switch them to a different weapon, their moveset for each weapon will be different from each other.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 4, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jibo posted:

I don't know about "liking" it but you definitely get used to it. Your role as a player is much more vital to keep the battle from going to hell rather than just being a battering ram to the enemy commander. As mentioned above, this is kind of how it's always been until recently but SW2 is probably the most difficult in that regard.

I might be able to tolerate it more if they didn't whine all the time, and half of the time I go to relieve them and it's one Outpost Guard holding them up :ughh:

Don't get me wrong-I had tremendous fun with SW2. I'm just being a nitpicky nerd that can never be happy with anything. :reject:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Himuro posted:

In this stage Oda's forces are all beefed up for atk the point where their morale never drops. They are really strong. It is a lot easier if you burn the castle, but somehow I kept getting lost in the Honnoji corridors so the fire guy would end up dying. Memorizing the map made things way easier. That and making it a priority to burn the castle.

I remember my strategy for that stage is to take care of Ranmaru Mori ASAP because she can chew through your allies in no time at all. Then take out Nobutada.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

EDIT: Just remembered that Zhao dies literally right before the credits roll, so only Yuanji survives. That is some serious lack of characters in Jin's depth chart.

To be fair, 7 was literally the first game to include Jin at all. If the formation of Jin got covered at all it was "Oh and then Sima Yi betrays Wei, here's one mission where that plays out." I don't know about the first Dynasty Warrior game, but I'd bet that the Shu, Wei, and Wu rosters were missing a number of important figures.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Policenaut posted:

I was really pleased that his incredibly anime character arc, complete with nagging childhood friend slash girlfriend and much more talented older brother who is also a rival, didn't end with some kind of typical pseudo-inspirational moment about hope, family, loyalty, or anything like that. He just goes "Holy poo poo! All of you are IMBICILES!" and proceeds to curbstomp the kingdoms. It was like watching the birth of an anime Red Forman.

But yeah, beyond that he was kind of bland compared to Full Bamboo Jacket, Sad Painter, Crazy Strategist, Lelouch, or Xiahou Ba On Vacation.

Fixed that for you! :haw:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Yeah, this is looking really awesome. I love the improvements to the combat engine the most.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Selane posted:

Apparently Xiahou Dun uses the same hair stylist as Dragonball Z Chrono Trigger characters.

Much better this way, don't you think? :D

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

tooooooo bad posted:

FWIW he's in 7 Empires too. :toot:

edit: Oh that's literally what you posted. So...hey check out this picture of that thing.

Imagine if they included Nobunyaga in a Warriors Orochi game. :allears:

Edit: Speaking of Orochi, did the Wii U version fix problem with the game being unable to show all the soldiers that are supposed to be on screen? (I'm referring to where you're clearing out soldiers in an area and they start to literally materialize in front of you, including officers.)

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 14, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

I'm pretty sure "Video games made him do it" just makes people roll their eyes more than anything else.

I always wonder why it has to be video games. I mean has anyone looked at the TV shows he watched? "The killer listed liking Lost for the first six seasons. Clearly his utter dissatisfaction with the seventh season led to his murder spree. We should ban any and all TV shows with any element of mystery."

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

They'd just pick the middle ending and just say something like "Orochi's spirit is still out there!" or something. Or just make another crossover setting.

Well, they already included a time-travel mechanic that gives no fucks. I don't think consistency is going to bug anyone.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I picked up a PS3 recently (credit for the sale goes to Okami HD :swoon:) and I now want to take a crack at the Empires demo, but I can't find it on Playstation Store :(

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So how do you save the DW7 & XL to the PS3 harddrive. The 0.2 second pause between conversation bubbles (that isn't there on the 360) is bugging me more than it rightfully should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You know, DW7XL has required me to unlock the main game portions two additional times. I hope this isn't an intentional design (like some twisted DRM function), as it's beginning to irritate me.

EDIT: And now it's asking me to do it again!!! :argh:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 30, 2012