Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Is there at least some sort of pattern of when you're required to unlock it?

So far the pattern is "every time I start up XL."

I'm guessing that this is not a common problem or I would have heard much more about it. Still doesn't change the fact that It's goddamn irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

And Liu Shan is less "He totally wasn't that bad guys!" and more "He knows he's poo poo so he sits and let's the people who weren't spiked like a football as a baby do their jobs."

Yeah, Liu Shan as portrayed in DW7 seemed like someone who desperately wanted to give no fucks, but everyone around him was just too insane.

And yes, the Shu campaign is probably the weakest of the 4 story modes, but I do this it has the best stage (Fan Castle Part 2: never has :supaburn: felt so right).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sakurazuka posted:

What's a good map for getting the 'finish a stage in under 5 minutes' achievement in Orochi 3?

Tong Gate redux is good, too. After rescuing Diaochan you can literally walk right into the enemy main camp with no one able to stop you

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

And the funny thing is Warriors already has a zombie (Kiyomori Tiara). So yeah, not sure why your still playing in the first place :smugbert:

On another note, I've been replaying the DW7 story missions, and I have to say...the Shu campaign almost works. It comes really close to rising above ':downs: herp derp benevolence! :downs:' that I feel if one mission was re-worked it could all come together.

If I had to name one mission to redo for Shu, it would be part one of Yiling. It really struck me as bizarre that you only play Liu Bei for one whole mission. The Shu campaign really needed to take a second look at it's own lead character (yeah, yeah I know-Zhuge Liange was the real lead character :smug:. I'll get to him as well.) Yiling was the perfect spot to do so-letting the player control Liu Bei at his angriest, his most emotionally raw and emotionally vulnerable, and then slowly realize that he done hosed up would have given Shu that moment of self-criticism that all the other campaigns had but it lacked.

Gameplay-wise, none of the Shu stages were uninteresting, except for part one of Chibi. I thought about how to fix it, and had an interesting idea: play as Zhuge Liange. You start at the alter and trip out on incense (:350:) and go through the lower half of the map while it's covered in spooky purple fog. The mission is to negotiate with the animist spirits to change the wind direction (as in all things Musou, by 'negotiate' I mean 'beat the snot out of'). And while ZL is talking to spirits, the ghosts of all the characters that have bought it come and call him out on his BS.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jimbot posted:

Zhou Tai was added to Wu to my relief. Looks like I'll be picking Dynasty Warriors 8 up.

:confused: was there any doubt he'd be in? He's been with the series since at least DW 3.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been enjoying DW7 XL but it feels kinda sloppy. There are several times where the dialogue doesn't match the text, or the text has bizarre mispellings ("Sima OZhao?" :crossarms:). Sometimes generic messenger guy mixes up what force is arriving on the battlefield. In one cutscene at the end of the Wu campaign Sun Quan is holding the wrong sword. And strangest of all, it seems that Liu Bei and Wei Yan have had their skill trees switched :psyduck:.

In comparison, I noticed nothing like this in my copy of DW 7 for the 360.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jibo posted:

Zhang Liao is my favorite dude from the Three Kingdoms. Or maybe Guan Yu. Or Sima Yi.

poo poo I don't know, but Zhang Liao gets bonus points for being a god damned wrecking ball in DW7 and WO3.

Yeah after playing the Wei campaign in DW7, Zhang Liao more than supplanted his old boss as the most :black101: character in my mind.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Raserys posted:

Pang Tong the pirate? :confused:

Pang Tong strikes me as the type of guy who would give no fucks about wearing an off-period outfit.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Probably the biggest thing for DW8 for me is learning about the new officers. I'm still having trouble remembering their names since all the sites are in Japanese :negative:

On the positive end, I've started reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms during my commute. I hope to finish it this time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I was wasting time on the internet and decided to look up info on the new officers. At one point I misspelled 'Jin' as 'Gin' and, well, this was the very first image I got:

:aaaaa::psyduck: That has to be a coincidence, right?

FAKE-EDIT: In case I'm not clear, Jin's uniform color is the same as Bombay Sapphire Gin.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

As far as coincidences go, that's pretty weak dude.

Well I thought it was interesting :smith:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ambivalent posted:

Instead, Nobunaga's descendants are busy being fabulous and conquering the world of figure skating.

If he really wanted to make a buck, he'd license himself to be in the next SW or Orochi game :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Policenaut posted:

Here's a new Dynasty Warriors 8 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLuq5a2d_cc

And if you'd like to see the dozen character demonstration trailers, then come on down!

Sounds as though they're sticking with each Kingdom's music theme. I like.

EDIT: Did Guan Yinping just kick a guy in the nutsack? :stare:

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 31, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

As fun as reading Romance is (especially now that I have a sense of who many of the characters are), I'm really curious to read a more factual accounting of the Three Kingdoms era. I'm particularly curious about anything written recently.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires site updated today, detailing Extra mode with online Co-op and CAW uploading. Also, most of the sections with screenshots explaining things now are using the translated screens.

That's looking really impressive. Can't wait to play it.

I didn't realize there were even more DLC weapons for Xtreme Legends. Guess it's time to waste some more money :negative:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Man, I thought Liu Bei in Dynasty Warrior was a rube. His depiction in Romance makes the DW Liu Bei look Machiavellian.

I'd call it poor characterization, but I'm not the author of one of the four great Chinese classics, so what do I know? :shrug:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

And here I was thinking that the DW version was making his novel version look Machiavellian and that the DW version was deliberately whitewashed... seriously though, what you describe had some people wondering if the novel version was actually written to subvert the supposedly-intended "saintly" characterization by making Liu Bei so over the top as to be unbelievable... which probably helps with explaining why a bunch of the popular folklore about Shu rests on other characters besides him.

I guess it depends on the scene, but I just got to the part where Lu Bu goes to him for refuge and literally the first thing Liu Bei does is offer him control of the province. :psyduck: Lu Bu doesn't even threaten him. His first words to him are "Hey, how would you like to be Imperial Protector? Here's the official seal and everything! :downs: "

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Selane posted:

If you're talking about the one where it's Lu Bu and co. vs every kingdom simultaneously, plus zombie Zhang Jiao, Yuan Shao, and Dong Zhuo, that's Lu Bu's last musou mission from 6.

I think he's talking about that Conquest Mode stage from 7 where you fight all the other kingdoms, plus Lu Bu at the end.

Yeah, that mission nets you Red Hare when you complete it.

At least in the most recent iteration, whatever 'stealth' parts there have been are pretty inoffensive, though that's not the same as actually being good.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Replaying Dw7 now that I got XL, particularly the Conquest mission "The Two Qiaos", makes me wish there was a similat mission for Liu Bei marrying Sun Shangxiang, with him :psyduck:ing the entire time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

During the Wei campaign, I always found it strange that Cao Cao was all :qq: for Dian Wei but hardly mentioned the loss of his oldest son, Cao Ang.

But now I'm reading Romance and he acts exactly the same way, so at least Koei was consistent in that regard :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I tried out the Lightning Sword DLC and holy gently caress this weapon breaks the game! The final combo let's you stunlock any enemy indefinitely (with the possible exception of Lu Bu in flip-out mode-haven't tested that). I know balance has never been the biggest priority, but I do hope they tone that poo poo down in 7E and 8.

EDIT:

StevenM posted:

Is Warriors Orochi 3 worth buying for the Wii U if I haven't previously bought it on the PS3 or 360? Is it worth playing as a co-op game?

I would say that there's no reason not to get it for the Wii U. As far as I know, the only issue is that the Wii U has even more trouble rendering all the enemies on screen than the other versions, but it's not like you'll be attacked by invisible enemies.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 8, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

I think one of his Legendary battles has him having to take back a castle after losing it due to being passed out drunk in a side room.

That's one of my favorite missions, as he's slurring his lines the entire time.

He's even worse in the WO3 DLC missions. Two stages have him throwing keggers that get out of hand. And another has him calling all the shield-using characters and bunch of pansies (forgetting that his daughter uses a shield). And the end of that mission, Xingcai even says 'he does this again I'm gonna kill him.'

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Enallyniv posted:

I'm currently split about my next Warriors purchase. :(

I'm tempted by DW7 because I've played every DW game since 3 to death but there's also the thought of dabbling in Orochi which looks pretty good, but I don't know if I can let go of my precious Three Kingdoms story, especially with DW7's expansion on it. Playing on Xbox 360, by the way.

Is it worth waiting for the next expansion/release at this point?

DW7's story mode is probably the best thing going for it. But you may get a little sick of how everyone seems to have the same moves (I didn't mind, but a lot of other folks here did).

WO3 has the better gameplay, and a lot of fun moments. Plotwise it's so goofy that even the characters give up trying to understand it. But I find that to be part of the charm.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Xingcai gets a cleavage window :sigh:

Still better than her DW6 costume.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Schubalts posted:

It's not like she has a hole in her shirt. It's a short cloak with pauldrons over her top. Without the cloak, it's just a relatively low-cut top. I mean, we're not looking at Powergirl (or Lian Shi, for that matter), here.

After a second look, yeah. I guess it was early morning and my half-awake brain assumed the worse.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I hope the full game has more beard models.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

Your starting disposition in Empires mode. It determines what stratagems you get.

According to the website (so take with a grain of salt) you can even change the personalities of an established character. Given that there isn't an english dub I imagine it loses some of it's impact. The screen with Liu Bei trying to look 'evil' did make me chuckle (he looked more like he was constipated from the giant meat buns) and the thought of making a squeaky-voiced Xiao Qiao into a venerable strategist has an odd appeal.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Because I lack any maturity, I have created Dong Dong, champion of the Seventies!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just got to the part in Romance where Liu Bei goes to meet Zhuge Liange and boy to they draw it out! Not that I blame the writer, but it does make me wish I was fluent in Mandarin because there are a loving ton of poems and I can definitely sense that something got lost in translation.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Belzac posted:

I don't know how I didn't see this before but TK is doing a full media blitz for DW8 in Japan which includes a lot of cross promotions and the like. What does this mean? 7-UP COSTUME!

Ahahaha! My god I can just imagine the possibilities: Sun Jian Wheaties! Sima Yi Slurpee! Guan Yu E-Trade! The sky is the limit :signings:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

I specified 7, though I'll add that before 7 Xingcai's apparent main fan pairing was Guan Ping. Wang Yi's got a late husband, while Cai Wenji is "no represented husband" but also daughter of a NPC and brought in to Wei by Cao Cao (retrieving her from the Xiongnu).

Wang Yi's schtick is "MY FAMILY IS DEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!! :byodame:", so for all intensive purposes she's single.

FAKE EDIT: I always chuckle when playing through WO3 that when you pick a character whose big motivation is revenge (Wang Yi, Ma Chao, etc) they get substituted by the very subject of their grievance. So you have Ma Chao gnashing his teeth over getting revenge on Cao Cao for killing his family...all the while Ma Teng is right there on the same screen.

Real Edit: Are the Dynasty Warrior/ROTK games big in China as well? I see reasons for it being either popular or not popular, but what's the actual sentiment?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 16, 2013

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So, any word on how those that have to get DW7 via Download will be able to get the pre-order download :shobon:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well, somehow I tapped the wrong spot on my phone and Kindle lost my spot in Romance :suicide:

On a more positive note, one week till Empires is out! :toot:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chortles posted:

what was the most recent thing you remember happening in your reading?

It was the leadup to Chibi, Zhou Yu just tricked Cao Cao into executing a pair of his admirals.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just got past Chibi in reading Romance, so now I'm passed where I stopped reading the last time.

Man was Zhuge Liang pure :smug: during that entire section.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just got to the Battle of Tong Pass, and Ma Chao literally threatens to eat Cao Cao alive. :catstare:

Also, the book goes out of it's way to make Zhou Yu into a chump, it's pretty embarrassing.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was going through an old National Geographic on the Three Gorges Dam project and I caught a blurb about the relocation of a shrine to Zhang Fei. NG's brief description of him was "A general in 3rd Century China who died honorably."

Didn't know that honorable deaths now included 'beheaded by your own men after drunkenly beating them.' :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Belzac posted:

It's a Chinese manhua (manga) that goes through the Three Kingdoms period focusing on Sima Yi. It's really...unique. That's probably about the best way to describe it.

Obvioualy the only correct way of describing the period :smugayi:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm planning on rolling with a custom He Jin as the ultimate "gently caress History!" playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

Make sure you finish the Special Battle for the Yellow Turban Rebellion scenario first if you plan replace him using officer register, He Jin is needed as a generic for the dialogue in the stage, otherwise the game locks it out.

Ooh, thanks for letting me know :tipshat:

Maybe I'll do Kong Rong instead, and have him and Tiashi Ci rock everyone's house.