Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

for local coop on ps4 should i get orochi 4 ultimate or the new one piece game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

just picked up WO3U, never played an orochi game before

I could never get into hyrule warriors, i think partly because I just don't care about zelda but also I think a big part of it is I really miss all the random mooks having names, rather than just being endless goblins lead by bigger goblins.
if they gave them all names and random hats i'd like it twice as much

also i miss the feel of a battle going on around you that you influence, thats becoming less and less of a thing

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

one thing thats really broken the warriors series for me is noticing that in the recent games if you stand still and leave the controller the mooks actually either won't or can't attack you. so the enemies are purely decorative

in age of calamity they swing at you but their swing is too short to actually hit you even standing still, its extremely lame

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

lol if u stand still for more than 0 seconds in a Warriors game

if they cant attack you standing still they definitely they definitely cant while you're moving

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

My controller had the batteries die on me mid-fight in DW8XL (on the highest difficulty, oh no!), and it taught me one thing; while the basic fodder in DW8XL is far less aggressive than it was back in DW3-DW5 (back when basic units were actually dangerous to some extent), it can and will at least still make frequent attempts to attack you rather than just wait patiently for you to resume hacking them down in their droves. This got me thinking about how (in)effective they might be per-type so I started to experiment by finding some mooks then just waiting for them to do stuff, and it turns out that (on higher difficulties at least) standing around will still get you killed off by the rabble, just slowly compared to the PS2 days (where even running around wasn't guaranteed safety).

Unless, that is, you're surrounded by spearmen, in which case old age will probably claim you first.

yeah 8XL is fine, the modern games got rid of that though and imo you lose a lot with the mass enemies just being visual effects essentially.

i suppose the series has moved away from these being actual battlefields, but i miss that stuff a lot.
i'd buy even just a modern 8XL in a heartbeat

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

that sorta sounds like the worst of both worlds

i did see one basic enemy attempt an attack in the gameplay though so ... maybe they arent just jumped up particle effects this time

e: didn't mean this post to be so negative, i'm cautiously optimistic cause i could do with a good warriors game. i just want a bit more focus back on the big battles not just smashing minibosses

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 24, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The Berserk game kinda owned up until a terrible, terrible boss fight against Griffiths

It doesn't have enough characters to play but it turns out adding gore to Warriors is a pretty cool addition and feels good to trigger your musuo and evaporate a screen full of demons

Arslan was meh but it did have another gimmick: there are points on the map where you gather your forces and do a giant wonderful 101 style charge across the map as a big regiment.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I still would like mooks to actually do things instead of just standing around waiting for someone to kill them. It doesn't make me feel like A Warrior Worth a Thousand when I'm mowing down enemies that are just standing still. It makes me feel like I'm on the training grounds attacking straw dummies, or at the very least at a theme park where these dudes are getting paid to just fall over if I touch them.

Yeah this is what has really broken the warriors games for me. Basically all of them are like this now.
I forget if it was AoC or Pirate Warriors where if you stand still in a crowd of mobs they will wind up to hit you every 10 seconds or so and miss.

As soon as I noticed it I stopped having fun. I liked the older games where the mobs could hurt you and the AI officers were pretty good. You'd have to level up to become a combat god.
The movesets are better than ever but it feels like a waste to use them

E and just in general the old way of doing it where it was a dynamic battlefield that would flow back and forth that you were influencing. I wish someone else would make those games again

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 9, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I just want a warriors game where the mooks are more than set dressing again. In the recent ones I played they legit couldn't hit you while you were standing still and it makes mowing through waves of purely decorative soldiers feel pointless

Also it'd be nice if your allied army did stuff, the old games felt more like influencing an ongoing battlefield than just running through doing a series of objectives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Even then hyrule warriors doesn't really scratch the same itch imo