Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

What is this Warriors thing?

Most commonly known by the flagship series, Dynasty Warriors, the Warriors franchise is a long running series of action games sometimes called "crowd brawlers" due to the focus of featuring huge armies clashing with your lone hero carving a path between objectives and enemy generals. They are published by Tecmo-Koei (formerly just Koei) and are developed almost exclusively by Omega Force. They also are known for their very liberal interpretation of Chinese and Japanese histories featuring the Three Kingdoms and Warring States periods respectively.

I've only heard bad things about these games, why are there so many?

While many of the complaints against the series (repetitive combat, hard to follow story, bad voice acting, and lack of innovation between titles) are true this series in a pretty big deal in Japan due to the importance of these histories on Asian cultures. Imagine if there was an action game based on World War 2 where you could play as Patton and single handedly win the battle of the Bulge and then have a sword fight with Hitler. Yeah, these games are that cool.

So have the very appealing premise combined with the fact that there are at least 4 "main series" at this point (Dynasty, Samurai, Orochi, and Gundam) and large supply of side games (Troy, Fist of the North Star, One Piece) and you've got a recipe for an almost constant stream of games. Omega Force also has a habit of releasing expansion packs for their best sellers (Xtreme Legends and Empires) as well as porting them (Chronicles and Next) to whatever is the new hardware of the moment.

Why should I play these games?

The Warriors games have universally great action, rocking music, and “interesting” characters. Obviously these vary per game but most players will say the feeling of destroying thousands of soldiers is unmatched by normal action games. There’s also the history aspect which combined with the character designs (there is a large percentage of female fans in Japan) is their primary selling point in the East. With the more recent anime adaptions there’s even something for people who know nothing of real history but know every episode of One Piece by heart.

So there's like a million of these, where do I start?

Please start at Dynasty Warriors 7:
Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQAyrP4Uxs

Since Dynasty Warriors is a constant retelling of the Three Kingdoms era of China you don't need to play the past games to get caught up with the story. Seven has the best story (Musou) mode of the entire series and it both easy to follow, immersive, and friendly to new players. The combat is well done as well without any major flaws like previous titles. It is available on PS3 and Xbox360 but I'd recommend it for the PS3. The reason is that Tecmo-Koei is not really big on supporting Xbox (they don't release their games on it in Japan, only the West) and don't bother to port expansions or sometimes even whole games.

If you're a past veteran of the series and want to get back in you can either pick up DW7 or try out Warriors Orochi 3:
Official Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_suN89GEng

There are several reservations though on why new players shouldn't enter here though. First: The Orochi series is sort of a mash-up of Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors where the characters from each are drawn into a pocket universe to battle the demon Orochi. If you're not familiar with at least a few of the characters you'll very likely to get lost. Second, the game is only available as a digital download on the PS3 in America (Xbox360 release still boxed and Europe still gets boxed and digital copies). This is because of the third issue: no English voice overs. In order to save costs Tecmo-Koei opted not to record new voice work for the game which apparently activates some loop whole in Sony of America's approval process and doesn't allow the game to get a boxed release.

But if you can get past these issues WO3 is probably the best overall game in the Warriors franchise to date. It has the most characters, biggest battles, and the most refined mechanics. Seriously, it's really good.

Games that are not Warriors but we talk about anyways.

We don’t just talk about Lu Bu in this thread! Honest. The crowd brawler genre has opened up since the success of Dynasty Warriors and we talk about similar games like Sengoku Basara, Ninety Nine Nights, Kingdom Under Fire, and Saint Seiya. We also talk about other games that Omega Force has made like Bladestorm and that one Zill O’ll game no one played. Finally there’s also a lot of history buffs in this thread so we talk about the strategy games that Koei has made set in the same periods as Samurai and Dynasty Warriors like Kessan, Dynasty Tactics, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and Nobunaga’s Ambition (+ Pokemon). We also welcome questions and discussion about the “real” history around these games.

FAQ

Q: I looked up the Japanese names of these games and they have confusing numberings, help!
A: The first Dynasty Warriors (Sangokumusou) game was kind of a flop of a fighting game and so when Omega Force took the characters and put them in their 3d beat ‘em up they re-branded the game. This new game was called Shin Sangokumusou where the Shin roughly means “new” or “true”. Instead of localizing the game and New Dynasty Warriors or something similar in the west they merely just added a 2 and called it a day. Since then all main Dynasty Warriors games have been off by a number in the west. Orochi had a similar fate where what we call Warriors Orochi 2 in the West was actually named Musou Orochi Z in Japan. Now this series is off by a number as well.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The Games:

Dynasty Warriors: The main headliner of the franchise. This takes the historical time period of the Three Kingdoms era of China (169 -280AD) and combines it with the mostly fantastical novel set in the same time (Romance of the Three Kingdoms). It then adds in a rock sound track, recreations of all the important battles and characters and turns you loose to slaughter thousands of soldiers. Each new numbered series of this game sets a new generation of the series (sort of like Pokémon) where most of the other games that come out between numbered DW are based on the previous engine. The first Dynasty Warriors game is a common 3Dish weapon based fighting game and should be ignored and pretend it doesn’t exist. Starting from DW2 through to DW5 the series established the crowd brawler genre and built upon its formula a little bit at a time. Because of this most reviewers say the series is not innovative. To counter this Omega Force made DW6 which changed so much stuff that most fans call it the black sheep series and try to ignore it. We don’t like change in our Warriors games.

Current hotness: Dynasty Warriors 8 (XL)
How do you follow up the best Dynasty Warriors game ever made? Well you kinda just add a few characters, more weapons, and call it a day. To be fair there's more to 8 than that but after the massive improvement that was 7, 8 is a much more Omega Force style update. Major new features are adding enough weapons that no two characters have the same EX weapon so you can pretend it's an older game where you couldn't switch your move sets. The Musou mode features a sort of condensed version of the 7 style but with the twist of "hypothetical" missions that unlock if you change history by completing missions in certain ways. Conquest mode from 7 is replaced with Ambition mode which is just as grindy but has a weird meta game about building up your little village.

XL is the expansion and since there wasn't any major problems with the base game it focuses on adding a ton of characters. Like there's more characters in this XL then all other XLs combined. DW8/XL is out on PS3/Xbox 360 and in Japan is on PS4 and Vita. It's also coming to PC, yes even in the states. Here's a handy chart telling you to pick up the best version:

Samurai Warriors: Instead of China, Samurai Warriors is set in Japan during the Warring States period (1467-1573AD). The games feature a whole new cast (obviously) and added several innovations to the series. Overall the major difference besides cast would be the sound track is now techno inspired, minor combat changes, a greater focus on completing objectives during missions, and retuning Musou mode to focus on individual character’s stories through the era rather than the kingdom’s point of view. It’s a different flavor of Dynasty Warriors, without being a radical departure.

Current hotness: Samurai Warriors 3 (Z, Empires, Chronicles)

I haven’t played any of the 3rd generation Samurai Warriors games so maybe someone could help me fill out this section. Samurai Warriors 3 got a butchered release in the West by only receiving the Wii version the base 3. An expanded version for the PS3 was released called Z that everyone says is better in every way but non-importers will never know. What we can know however is Chronicles, a 3DS game that was released as a launch title for the system and ports most of the features of Z over to the handheld but focuses on a player made character rather than the default warriors.

:siren:Samurai Warriors 4 is coming soon!:siren:

Warriors Orochi: What happens when you take Samurai Warriors and merge it with Dynasty Warriors? You get this series. Since it’s not based on real history at all it’s one of the few games where you can get interested in the story even if you know the other games inside and out. Rather than trying to homogenize the two series together perfectly, characters keep most of the mechanics from their own games. This creates an interesting blend for combat. Orochi games have the largest cast list as they include all characters from previous games while also introducing a fair number of their own. The basic premise is that a snake demon called Orochi summoned the most powerful warriors and leaders from various eras to battle with in a pocket dimension that is formed from lands familiar to the summoned warriors.

Current hotness: Warriors Orochi 3

This is arguably the best Warriors game out right now and you should all pick it up. It has an absolutely ridiculous number of characters (132) with several from crossover games like Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive. It also boasts the largest number of enemies with multiple thousands of KOs for a normal map being considered standard. The story is an interesting take where you start at the “end” where the heroes have lost and are given the power to go back in time to fix things. Even if you can’t save people the first time through there is always a way to change time and eventually get everyone in fighting shape to save the world.

Anime Warriors games: Omega Force often applies their Warriors formula to various anime franchises to various degrees of success. The most obvious success being so far the Dynasty Warriors: Gundam series which is up to its fourth game. First of the North Star got 2 games, people tend to like the story of the first one and the gameplay of the second. One Piece also got two games that I know nothing about at all.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 24, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Chortles posted:

Mild nitpicks: Samurai Warriors is more of 1560 (Okehazama) to 1614 (Osaka Castle), although the Warring States Period did basically start in 1467-1477 (the Ounin War basically told the warlords "the shogun isn't going to stop the free-for-all that you're all itching for anyway").

It should also be added that part of the reason for DW7 being the new hotness was for it to be the one that introduced Jin. :black101:

Added that Jin stuff cause it is important. Gonna leave the warring states period as it is though just cause history and stuff.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

VaultAggie posted:

DW3 is probably my favorite of the batch, not only because it actually had non-english dub acting that I could pretend was good but a loving awesome soundtrack. I enjoyed Samurai Warriors and Warriors Orochi but they lacked a certain charm that DW had. DW gundam was loving terrible in my opinion because of how utterly bland all the characters and weapons were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaJVePKDfMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1BJTL9nXEM

Here is what I listen to on shuffle while at work or while gaming in something that doesn't have good music:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE0692F9E9AD99421&feature=mh_lolz
I'm slowly adding more Warriors games to it as I go.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Also chiming in to say DW Next on Vita is awesome don't disparage it in the OP, other than Lumines its the most played game I have on the system.

I like Next a lot but I if I didn't point out the flaws then 5er's head would explode. If you have a Vita, pick up Next. If you don't have a Vita, don't buy it for Next. Does that sound like a good endorsement?

Emalde posted:

Just bought DW7 to play with a friend, really enjoying it but it seems like we'll be done before long.

Does Orochi 3 have online co-op as well? Seems like the next logical step. I'm loving these games but it's really easy to just burn through all of the content. :(

Orochi 3 does have online co-op but it does it in a particularly stupid way where you can't play a mission online until you've completed it in single-player. That might impact how you and your buddy play. If you've been playing through DW7 on PS3 then I'd recommend picking up Xtreme Legends as it's a bit more friendly to co-opers. It adds a ton more stages that work with online co-op and also allows players to co-op the Musou mode of the original.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

This of course leads to plenty of absurd nerd fun.

Being Player 2 Liu Bei in Dynasty Warriors 6 Lu Bu story mode.

"Those who stand in the way of virtue shall fall!" Yes, Liu Bei, fight hard for the virtuous Lu Bu murder rampage. :allears:

You don't even need other players for stuff like this. In Next, Lu Bu has his own campaign where he's fighting all the other generals to make a land of peace. He actually wants peace because Diaochan does. But after every kill:

"CAN ANYONE PROVIDE ME WITH A DECENT CHALLENGE!?!"

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Happy Blue Cow posted:

Well if none of them acknowledge player 2, I guess my next question would be which DW is the one with the most features, and/or is the best one to play in couch co-op? :sweatdrop:

If you just want one package I'd say Warriors Orochi 3 is the best. You'll get a story with a ton of missions and characters. Dynasty Warriors 7 doesn't allow you to co-op the story mode without the expansion Xtreme Legends but you can still co-op through Conquest mode (which has no story at all).

Edit:

Policenaut posted:

Oh hey, here's a new gameplay video for One Piece: Pirate Warriors. A third of it is a tutorial as it's the first stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xwiPg-epdw

Blu-ray release for Europe in September, PSN release for North America presumably in the Summer.

Is the VO for Masanori the VO for all the random soldiers?

Belzac fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 5, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah the Musou Battlefields option in WO3 is not particularly good. Though it is sort of neat because you can choose sound effects from previous games or put in a bunch of tigers or something.

Speaking of tigers, I got around to playing the five new stages that got released for WO3 last week and well...while it's cool that they added a new map (Wu Zhang Plains) as well as the music for that map, having it for three of the five stages kind of wears out its coolness a bit. Kinda not sure why Masamune is running around yelling at people to get their poo poo together to fight Orochi's army in one of the other missions too, given that he was Orochi's number one bootlicker throughout those games.

Also what's up with Koei acting like Nu Wa and Fu Xi weren't in DW3? I mean I know they were just kind of there and didn't really play any significant role, but they were in the game. This bugged me when I was getting all the wallpapers in WO2, the DW characters got wallpapers of character models for each game they were in, back to DW3. But Fu Xi and Nu Wa didn't get wallpapers for their DW3 models. I mean, granted they look radically different than they did in WO2, but it still would have been neat.

Why don't they acknowledge that Nobunaga and Hideyoshi were in DW1? Also the only good thing about Musou Battlefields is the music that plays while making a stage.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

The Xiahou Dun Beatstick got a massive buff with DW7 as DLC. It's actually one of the best weapons now. Pang De probably is pretty beastly with it - Haven't played Orochi 3.

Dynasty Warriors 6 is a fun game, but it has a lot of flaws and a lack of content issue. It was their attempt to revolutionize the series and it really kind of has a Dynasty Warriors 2 Vibe (17 or so characters with unique weapons and stories.) It's worth a look if you see it for cheap.

That's not very much like DW2 at all since 2 only had 3 unique stories and about 12 unique weapons with a bunch of clones.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 7, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The GIG posted:

I'm getting back into the series after a couple of years since playing DW Advanced (And if that doesn't count then my last game was DW2 and holy poo poo is this series old) with Next and I'm looking into the Orochi series. Should I bother tracking down the first couple of games to get the full story or just say "gently caress it" and download 3 and start kicking rear end with Achilles:black101:?

There is a "previously on Warriors Orochi" thing included with Orochi 3 that I don't think anyone has ever read. The only spoilery thing that you should know going into 3 is that Orochi summoned all the warriors because he desires his own death.. The rest is just small things like certain characters being friends but you don't need to know any of that going in.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I've never really played any of the Samurai Warriors games beyond the first one but none of them do anything with the Japanese-Korean war do they? I think that be a neat change of scenery. They could add Yi Sun-Sin as a character since he's a historical badass sea captain. It seems strange to have a historical war that most of the characters in the series fought in not be part of the game.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

They talk about preparing for an invasion of the mainland sometimes but I don't think ever actually did it. You're right, it would be pretty awesome, but you also need to consider the current political climate between Japan and Korea right now.

Yeah now that I think about it I think Nobunaga's ending mentions him preparing to invade China. That's clever since Hideyoshi said the reason he tried it was because he was carrying on Nobunaga's ambition.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

The reason that they're using Japanese and Chinese history is it's because what their local market is familiar with, they wouldn't know much in-depth about American history. It sure looks like Troy Musou was a flop, I don't think Koei is going to attempt another Western musou game any time soon. I think it's the most basic game mechanics of the series that most people in the west don't like, so unless they are contemplating changing that, making a musou game specifically NOT for Japan would be pretty foolish.

This is a pretty good assessment of the situation. One of the main reasons Musou games are popular is because Sangoku/Sengoku are such popular settings for their core audience of Japanese players. I think an interesting time period that would appeal to that audience might be going back to China for something like the the 16 kingdoms, Spring and Autumn, or China's own Warring States period.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

So here's some more DW7: Empires screens

If the game really has only 7 areas to capture, then Next really is the true DW7: Empires.

If you're basing that 7 areas off of this picture:
http://andriasang.com/con1v3/dw7_empires_screens/images/2436o/

...then I'd say it's a pretty safe bet there are more than 7 areas. It loos more like there are 6 factions and this player is invading one small province of the north AI. I base this entirely off of how badly shaped the larger province looking areas are. Jingzhou is split into three different areas, Yizhou is split in half, and Jiangzhou is split in half as well.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 9, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Karnegal posted:

So I was into Dynasty Warriors years ago, and I'd like to pick up 7 for nostalgia's sake. Do I buy 7, 7 and XL, just XL? How do the XL versions work these days? The only one I used was 3 or 4 back in the PS2 disc swapping days. Do they use the same data now (do you keep levels/stuff from 7 in XL or do you have to earn it all over again?). Also is it better on PS3 or 360? Thanks.

If you just want to get back into it I'd just pick up 7 for starters and if you burn through that and want more, get XL. XL is best thought of as an expansion pack. It adds more content and characters but you need to disk swap to play the old content with the new features.

You can take all your levels and items and etc from 7 to XL but not from XL back to 7. So if you're a person that plays for achieves you'll want to max out 7 first before moving on to XL. You can still use the disk swapping to play 7's content but you'll still be considered in XL for achievements.

I only play Warriors games on PlayStation but the Xbox version is a direct port minus the possibility of using XL. If you have the option of one or the other, probably PS3 because it's the native console and the option to play more is there if you want it.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 9, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

I decided to try the PS3 Zill O'll game out, so far I'm fairly liking it, but the introductory period is pretty drat long. It's just a nice simple dungeon crawler hacknslash with (for the most part) the same mechanics as a musou game.

I've never played it but it reminds me of Crimson Sea 2 which I played because it had a trailer in some DW game. It was decidedly "ok".

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

The GIG posted:

I could be just me, but in WO3 does the Samurai Warriors Muosu attacks seem very weak? It honestly feels stronger to just do the Muosu special attacks most of the time.

Make sure you're holding down the Musou button. If you press it and release, it kind of works like an invincibility thing where you can run around and do whatever but if you hold it down it works like a continuous attack that usually does pretty good.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

ExMortis posted:

I ran a test on this just now since it sounded pretty troubling to my OCD and leveled Susanoo from 24 to 25 in battle, then reset and leveled by growth points. Looked like this:

Battle: +5 life, +5 attack, +5 defense, +2 musou
GP: +6 life, +5 attack, +5 defense, +2 musou

So assuming I didn't write it down wrong during the battle, growth points seem to be a little better, actually. (?!)

edit re: importing SBHD
I always used Playasia.com to import stuff, just checked and they have it for like $61, and "Asian" version for $45.

1 example isn't really much of a sample size. I assume it probably uses an identical formula for leveling up that has a slight RNG seed difference.

I'm spending way too much time in conquest getting every random Warrior their highest evolution perfect link. I think I've spent 20 hours in Hideyoshi's story just leveling Pokemons. Send help.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Rutibex posted:

Why can't I play as Gundams in Warriors Orochi 3?:argh: It's not like it makes any loving sense anyway; give me all the characters!

Master Asia and Domon for Orochi 4. Make it happen Omega Force.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not in their gundams though, on foot.

They could summon their Gundams for their musous. Though Master Asia at least doesn't even need a Gundam, he could probably kill the Hydra by himself.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

SirPhoebos posted:

I wasn't bothered by the copy-paste move-sets in DW7, but having played WO3 I really appreciate how everyone has their own unique move-pattern even when using similar weapons. Is their any word on how this is going to work in DW7E?

I'm guessing they'll incorporate as many of the DLC weapons into characters as possible like they did for WO3 and DW:N. But that's still not enough to give everyone unique movesets unless they directly port over the moves from WO3.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

More Conquest.. did you guys evolve your eevee? I was thinking of going with leafeon since I don't have a strong grass type yet.

I got a Glacion. Mostly cause I hate all the ice types in this game (except for Articuno). It doesn't really matter what you pick though since after you beat the main quest you won't be seeing your hero for a very long time.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still a bit weirded out about how Tadakatsu looks so vastly different in Pokemon Conquest from how he does in the SW games. The others look about the same (though a tad more anime-ish) but Tadakatsu's square face is just really bizarre.

Also wish Toshiie had been in it, he's one of my favorite characters.

If only Donphan was in the game then Tadakatsu would probably look pretty normal.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Chortles posted:

At this point, that's a LOT of anime and manga that would fit your definition, unless you meant actual prose? Note though that (not surprisingly) most of that is coming out of Japan, but for more recent stuff from a Chinese perspective I would suggest Chen Mou's The Ravages of Time manhua and 2010's live-action TV series Three Kingdoms, both of which take great amounts of creative license for the in-my-opinion better.

For example, from the TV show there's Guan Yu encountering Cao Cao after Chibi (seriously these subsequent 8 minutes are great melodrama), and Liu Bei's wedding night to Sun Quan's sister ("Little Sister Sun" in the show, as her given name is unknown to history and KOEI merely popularized Shangxiang).

Be advised, Liu Bei is drunk throughout that entire second scene...

I greatly recommend the 2010 Three Kingdoms TV show and greatly don't recommend The Ravages of Time. It's way too off the wall, and I'll admit that I only read the first chapter, but drat, it's a hosed up chapter.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Double posting to get some news in here:

Playstation store updating a bit ago with some Warriors Orochi 3 updates:

Playstation Blog posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 – Dynasty Trad Costume ($2.99)
New costumes will be available for selection for 39 characters. The new costumes are for some of the characters from “Wei”, “Wu”, “Shu”, “Jin” and “Other 1″. How to use: At Select Team, choose any of the 39 characters and select Change Costume.

Warriors Orochi 3 – Stage Pack 4 ($3.99)
New stages will be available for selection under Select Battlefield. In-game music and additional weapons are also included.

Warriors Orochi 3 – Stage Pack 5 ($2.99)
New stages will be available for selection under Select Battlefield. In-game music tracks are also included. New stages: Mystic Love, Reclusive Beauty, Champion’s Challenge, Zhong Hui’s Pride, Party Planners. Additional music: 9 additional tracks will be available.

Warriors Orochi 3 – Wall Papers Dlc 3 ($3.99)
New wallpapers will be available for all 40 characters from “Jin”, “Other 1″ and “Other 2″. How to use: Select Wallpaper in the Gallery. Wallpaper for any of these characters that have been used in-game will be available to view, or to set as wallpaper.

Warriors Orochi 3: Bgm Pack 3 ($1.99)
New music will be available for selection at previously cleared stages. How to use: Select a stage that you have already cleared. At the loading screen, choose Select Music. Additional music: “SAMURAI SCANNERS”, “OPTIC LINE”.

I really wish I could transfer over my costumes and music packs from DW7:XL. Also this pricing seems strange. Why is one Stage Pack more expensive than the other? Why are 2 songs a 2 dollar DLC? I know their like the best songs in Orochi but really?

Belzac fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 17, 2012

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Twelve by Pies posted:

Having read the novels I'm already used to most of the style names! But I'm definitely going to have to watch the TV series, that looks great.

Just played a couple of the new DLC stages for WO3. The one where Keiji beats up people to take their theme songs is fantastic.

By the way, can anyone explain exactly what the difference is between Story and Free Mode on WO3? At first I thought Free Mode would be like how WO2 was, where you kept experience gained in a stage even if you were defeated (but not items or weapons) but apparently this is not the case, so I really can't see what difference there is other than "Free Mode doesn't advance the story" but since I've finished the story anyway, it just seems useless unless there's something I'm not noticing.

It's just a way to play the stages without the cutscenes before or after missions. It also doesn't advance the story.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that Nobunaga has magic powers because he was also interested in foreign sorcery, i.e. Christianity.

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it as Aya is a pretty classical sorceress but has no connection to Christianity that I know of. Maybe just being religious at all gives you magical powers...but Nobunaga is shown as being pretty anti-religion in most of his appearances and especially when fighting against the Ikko.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Chortles posted:

RTK IX and apparently XI are in the vein of RTK I through VI where you play as a faction ruler (or rather the faction as a whole) and tried to eventually wipe out everyone else through a combination of building up your cities, recruiting troops, making/breaking alliances and wiping out enemies in the field of battle or threatening them into submission... broad similarities to the Total War series, with the caveat that there's a chance/degree of success or failure with a bunch of tasks (i.e. the success of diplomacy, battlefield performance, the amount of troops raised in a single recruiting action) based on the officer assigned and his (or her) stats.

Leadership (LDR) is usually the main battlefield stat for an officer, while INT in battle is for succeeding or preventing ploys such as fire attacks, and WAR or Power (PWR) is reserved for when an officer whose unit is in proximity to an enemy unit successfully challenges that unit's officer to a duel (the loser flees, injured, killed or taken prisoner). Likewise, when recruiting troops the amount raised will be determined by the assigned officer's LDR, Political acumen (POL) or Charisma (CHA), along with city development stats and officers' personal skill buffs.

Examples: Lu Bu is usually top-tier WAR/PWR, usually comes with Red Hare as an item which allows him a guaranteed success at fleeing from a duel, favors Cavalry if a unit type specialization is in the game, has good LDR and alright CHA, but low POL and INT so he's not going to be good at city development and diplomatic actions and is quite susceptible to battlefield tactics such as Misdirect.

RTK VII, VIII, and X on the other hand have you pick an officer to with the aforementioned stats, but instead you're "living out" the character's life, so you can pick a faction ruler at which point the above "try to unify China" comes into play, or you can be a "ronin" and wander, or you can be (or become) a lord's officer and receive a stipend (while taking commands from him), move up the ranks, become the city governor (castellan) or regional governor for a lord, or even revolt against him and become your own faction! Specifically, you also get a bunch of personal actions that you can do alongside carrying out tasks for one's faction.

This is a pretty good write up. I'd say go for either X or XI. XI is more of a grand strategy game proper while X is more of a simulation game. If you don't know anything about the history of Romance of the Three Kingdoms then I'd go with XI as awesomeness as playing as a the historical figures themselves would be mostly lost.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Alacron posted:

I would be totally down for a Mystic Warriors game or whatever, especially if they expanded the roster to start including western mythological figures.

You could have King Arthur, Merlin, and Morgan Le Fay. Maybe some Thor, Loki and Odin. Hercules would probably be a shoo-in if they went for Greek Mythology. I actually had a weird thought along these lines a couple days ago while playing WO3, what if, in an attempt to appeal to American audiences they started including American folk heroes? Paul Bunyan, John Henry and Pecos Bill (with a special mountain lion mount).

God could you imagine? :allears:

I'm all for a Warrior John Henry wielding a train car for a weapon or something equally ridiculous and completely missing the point.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Dantes posted:

Are there PS4 dev kit released by Sony somewhere or did they just announced that I won't be playing this SW too ?

Sony has said repeatedly that the PlayStation 3 is locked into a 10 year life cycle. I wouldn't expect a PS4 announcement until 2016.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Dantes posted:

You do know that a 10 years life cycle is not incompatible with 2 console lifespan overlapping each other like the PS2 and PS3 right ?

Yes but Kazou has used this statement in direct response to people asking when Sony will announce their newest console. Plus it's not like when a new console comes out you throw your old one out right? I still have my PS1 in it's box in case I ever need it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

SPREAD TENKA MEWBU OVER THE LAND

Check out Nobunyaga in Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires.

I can't help but feel he would have been better suited for Samurai Warriors 4.

I thought the zero suit Samus and Link being in DW: VS was silly. This is a whole new level.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

abagofcheetos posted:

Cao Cao owns.

And I wish the DLC for 7/XL wasn't so stupidly expensive... I would gladly pay like $20 for all 7/XL DLC, but there is no way in hell I am dropping $5 a pop.

The only things that cost 5 dollars are the original costume packs. Don't buy those. The only DLC that actually affect gameplay and add more content are the new weapon packs and the Xtreme and Legend mission packs. If you get all those you're probably up to like 20 bucks.

The old costume DLC is only 1$ per pack which is a steal. Get that if you're really wanting new costumes.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Nipponophile posted:

I just picked up DW7 for 360 after this thread reminded me how much I used to enjoy the series. Is there any way to modify the camera angle? I couldn't find anything, and it's zoomed in way too tight for me. If you're running sideways, you can't see a single step in front of you, and I'm spending as much time swinging the camera around as I am fighting enemies.

e: Also, I saw that there's no XL disc for the 360. Is there a downloadable thing like with SW2 or what?

Don't use the right stick for anything ever. If you turn your character, quickly tap L1 to center the camera behind you. This is the only way to play these games since DW2. The sensitivity has always been crappy as well as constantly have to fight the auto-turning it does while you move. Just keep the camera behind you with the guard button and you'll be fine.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

SirPhoebos posted:

When did what? My abbreviation-fu is failing me.

No abbreviation needed. Dynasty Warriors VS (versus) is a 3DS Dynasty Warriors game that focuses on co-op and PvP. It also has Nintendo characters you can make in the CAW.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

So the Sengoku Basara dude just told Famitsu that the future of the franchise will be revealed later this month at a special event. Seeing as how Sengoku Basara HD Collection is advertised with having a teaser for "the future" of Basara, yeah they're probably going to make another Basara game. Maybe Meiji Basara? Seeing how they've apparently run out of Sengoku period?

Sangoku Basara. Bring it full circle Capcom.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

abagofcheetos posted:

I'm a little worried that there haven't been any coop screens yet, but I am glad the morale bar seems to be back. Also, is this screen showing cards being used in battle?

Not only does that screen show cards being used but it also confirms my earlier speculation that all DW7 DLC weapons will be dispersed to characters. Note that Cao Ren is using hit shield once again.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
More DLC for WO3 from the Playstation store.

PSN posted:

Warriors Orochi 3

Stage Pack 6 ($2.99) – New stages will be available for selection under Select Battlefield. In-game music tracks are also included. New stages: The Rise of Kiyomori 1, The Rise of Kiyomori 2, Defense of Itsukushima, Monkey Hunt, Speed is of the Essence. Additional music: 9 additional tracks will be available.
Stage Pack 7 ($1.99) – New stages will be available for selection under Select Battlefield. New stages: Talent Acquisition, The Search for Liu Shan, Testing Times, Heroes of Luoyang.
Samurai Disguises 1 ($4.99) – Special costumes will be available for selection for the 15 characters under Samurai 1, in which they are dressed up as other characters. How to use: At Select Team, choose any of the 15 characters and select Change Costume.
Samurai Disguises 2 ($4.99) – Special costumes will be available for selection for the 14 characters under Samurai 2, in which they are dressed up as other characters. How to use: At Select Team, choose any of the 14 characters and select Change Costume.
Samurai Disguises 3 ($4.99) – Special costumes will be available for selection for the 14 characters under Samurai 3, in which they are dressed up as other characters. How to use: At Select Team, choose any of the 14 characters and select Change Costume.
Original Wallpapers ($3.99) – Newly designed wallpapers will be available. How to use: Select Wallpaper in the Gallery.
BGM Pack 4 ($1.99) – New music will be available for selection at previously cleared stages. How to use: Select a stage that you have already cleared. At the loading screen, choose Select Music. Additional music: FUSION!!!, LIMPID LUSTER.

Limpid Luster, hell yeah. Also I believe that Guan Yu and Zhang Fei through about lighting Zhuge Liang's house on fire in the book but decided against it. Kinda out of character for Guan Yu but the editor pointed out it was foreshadowing for Zhuge Liang's many uses of fire from that chapter on.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

GoatLord posted:

An all Lu Bu army. :swoon:

Musou Battlefield is in the PS3/XBox360 version with this exact option. But the feature is really weird and no one uses it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I wonder what it is. The art they have look a lot like the RotK games but it has the Musou text and that obnoxious SLASH. Maybe some sort of cross over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVHHcjL_wY

Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires is coming out around the same time as Ken's Rage 2: February 2013, exclusive to PS3.

I'm glad they're baking in all the DLC weapons. The edit character in that trailer is using the lighting rapier. That weapon is awesome.