Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Belzac posted:

I'm all for a Warrior John Henry wielding a train car for a weapon or something equally ridiculous and completely missing the point.

I seem to recall there being a legend of a Mormon man who stopped cutting his hair and became invulnerable to bullets, we could probably fit him in there somewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I just got my copy of Kessen 2 in.

What the gently caress? That's pretty much the most coherent question I can form about that game. There's flying magic women and ninja catapults and video communication rings and I just don't know. :psyduck:

Well if regular Dynasty Warriors is a somewhat fantastic take on the Three Kingdoms, Kessen 2 is that with the fantasy pumped through the roof.

And a couple of gender-swapped characters just for fun.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So how does DW8 stack up against Orochi 3? I loved WO3.

For that matter, any good words on Dynasty Tactics 2? I liked what I saw; chains of moves pushing units around.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

OatmealRaisin posted:

I wish they'd pull from deeper into their Warriors games pool and add RX-78-2 and Kenshiro

Oh, god, can you imagine Kenshiro or Rei in an Orochi game? That'd just be....lovely.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I managed to get my hands on both Fist of the North Star games, and.... I like the first one better, so far. #2 has a lot more story mode cutscenes, but I really do not like the random drop system for scrolls or the brainless way you level up. I enjoyed the skill tree much more. I had a total blast playing Jagi's Dream Mode, heh.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That version of Lu Bu is black?

Ancient China was more cosmopolitan than I had been lead to believe.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Just beat Warriors Orochi 3 for the PS3 last week. God drat that was fun. I'm kind of hungering for more, so I guess it's a good thing the Ultimate version of it is coming out in the West eventually…

Kind of shocking how much better this is than Next, the only other Warriors game I'd played recently. That thing was waaaayy too launch title gimmick-y.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The GIG posted:

I want a WO4 mostly to give Lu Lingqi and the other 8 XL folks some character development and to have a chance to see Zhang He and Koshosho communicate with each other using only extremely sassy poses.

Probably my most favorite feature of WO3 is that it's set up like a gotta-catch-em-all. Every mission gives you at least one new guy. You get everyone on your side, and Kaguya's time travel powers mean causality can go gently caress itself and you can have guys fighting themselves in a team-up with their mortal enemies or even the final boss. And all this unlocks amusing camp conversations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ambition Mode seems like it's got some of the more addicting aspects of how Warriors Orochi 3 handled recruitment. You just keep getting bigger and better and eventually everyone works for you?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One thing I thought was kind of keen about DW Next was its DLC costumes were all modern-day outfits, and every single one of the 70+ characters had some different amusing outfit. A different sports outfit for every sport, doctors, firefighters, wrestlers, tuxedoes, think I even saw a wedding dress in there somewhere.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hah, a modern paratrooper but still with the ornate stuff on top of that as an embellishment? Nice.

I wonder, if they really do re-release WO3-Ultimate if they'll spring for English voice actors or not. I don't care THAT much but there was a lot of conversation in WO3 when I played it and sometimes I was too busy smashing up everything to pay attention to the subtitles. Ordinarily that's not a problem but in Warriors games talking doesn't freeze the action.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I kind of liked the romanticization that occured for Wei at the end of DW6--Sima Yi goes on to start what would be the real unifying dynasty of China, right…but in DW6 there's a scene where Sima Yi impales Cao Cao and Cao Cao laughs and says "I have one final command for you! Create a great and lasting empire! DO IT!" Sima Yi admits that it takes a lot of balls to command the very guy who is backstabbing you at that very moment, and he admits that this is probably one command he's going to have to follow down to the letter.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Only several hundred? Come back when you've depopulated a few cities, scrub. :smug:

(I really have no idea how "Ancient Chinese genocide simulator" wound up being such a popular game design concept.)

"The most populous nation in the world…really killed the poo poo out of itself two thousand years ago. Let's participate!"

Maybe if all the goons were robots it'd be more palpable. Heh. At least in some games it's the "knockout counter" instead of the "kill counter."

Speaking of DW, there was a game or two that tried to imitate its formula of "being awesome and chopping apart hordes of enemies." Ninety Nine Nights. I remember playing a demo for NNN-2 and liking it, but was the full experience any good?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kly posted:

I think a Star Wars Warriors game would be neat.

Well, Nobunaga already has a lightsaber (at least he did in WO3)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pimp dong Zhuo? Wow, I did not think they'd go there.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

That's not really how these games work. You pick the three characters you like the most, or just use the suggested groups if you don't know the characters well enough. Likewise, there's not rare items/weapons, so use whatever you like best.

Actually there are in WO3, but it's basically stuff like you need to defeat 1500 enemies on hard mode in specific levels with a specific character (and the game never tells you how).

There's no "best" single character in WO3, it's more like pick three characters whose moves you enjoy and have fun with them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sonova--health recovery seems a lot harder in DW8, and Ambition Mode too. I guess I need to make sure to bring bodyguards who can give me recovery items?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is there eventually going to be a way to throw experience points at unused characters like Warrior Orochi 3's Growth Points?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I forget who has the pool cue, but I played him in Warriors Orochi 3, he was one of the Jin characters. Jin gets all the weird weapons, because they're FROM THE FUTURE! (sorta)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Which facility in Ambition gives you the ability to level up other guys? I want to know which to build up first.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

The one you get for having 700 recruited officers at once.

drat, I'm still only at 400-something. Guess I need to grind out a few more easy-mode battles.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haha, the siege spear is so awesome. That's one thing WO3 doesn't have.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think I see why they have themes for the Ambition Mode as DLC…since it's a grindy thing and you keep going back to the hub, it's so you don't get sick of looking at the same dirty village all the time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What's the difference between Temper and Weapon Fusion?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Barudak posted:

Butch Otter, a real man winning real elections.

Do I have to unlock something in ambition mode to issue bodyguard orders? I'm not particularly far into the mode (just finished the first duel mission) and I haven't had/found the option yet.

Just hit the pause button when you're in the middle of battle, the orders are a really small list of possible stuff for them to do.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, sounds like the Weapon fusion system of Warriors Orochi only made more needlessly complex.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, don't mess with Guan Yu's daughter, I guess, she can rip boulders straight out of the ground.

Best enemy officer defeat line so far: "That was like a splash of cold water in my face!"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Here's a random tidbit:
Gather Supplies (the time extension skill) adds one second for every three KOs. So 180 KOs get you another minute. 1,000 KOs get you a little over 5 and a half minutes.

Sweet. Kill lots of fools and get more time for future missions.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Actually once I talked to Dong Zhuo as the farming supervisor and he forked over a ton of materials. So supervisors do do something, sometimes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What the hell, Lu Bu, your daughter is clearly awesome, stop treating her like a liability.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Woo, all NPC officers gotten! Though if what I hear about Phase Two of ambition mode is true, that won't last long. When you start that, do your playable officers also take a hike?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, Wang Yi's animation for her Rage Attack is great. She gets a pained, wistful expression on her face as she braces her sword.

I remember Warriors Orochi 3 made a big deal about Ma Chao not killing Cao Cao out of revenge. Woulda been better if Wang Yi had been right behind Ma Chao at the same moment he spared Cao Cao.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, the story of Wu seems to be that they're so totally awesome…but being awesome just isn't enough in this crazy world.

I'm really liking Chen Gong. His scroll of war is pretty nifty and I love how he's a crazy pretentious strategist who wants to play with the big boys.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sindai posted:

You'd think he would have gone and looked for a better boss after the fourth or fifth time Lu Bu ignored his advice and got them screwed over.

Do not pursue Lu Bu (as a viable avenue of employment)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

kissekatt posted:

The funny thing is how different he is compared to the novel (although he is hardly the only character that applies to). In the novel he betrays Dong Zhuo and helps Cao Cao to flee because he finds out that Dong Zhuo is a tyrannical poo poo. Then Cao Cao murders an innocent friend of the Cao family to protect his own reputation, which makes Chen Gong leave Cao Cao as well. Somehow he ends up with Lu Bu, discovers that he is basically a bastard as well, so when he is caught after the battle of Xiapi he basically says "execute me so I don't have to deal with you shits anymore" and Cao Cao obliges him.

drat. Some people just have a string of lovely bosses. I think if everyone I ever worked for was rotten I'd be a bit sick of it all too.\

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I've been eating generic officers to upgrade other officers in Ambition mode, but now I need 400 people to get a farm. Like, do I need 400 at ONCE? Because I've got like 20 officers right now.

All at once, apparently. Sorry! Releasing generic officers to power up other officers can only be safely done once you've hit the limit for how much stuff you can unlock via population (it's 700).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Trying to clear the tiger event star on Lu Bu's story mode just keeps reminding me of this stupid scene.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Woo, Tonquetai unlocked and all facilities maxed out---now I don't know what the hell I'm doing in this new mode! Argh!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ugh, it's like finding out your favorite author was a horrible racist.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well if they were bandits then why did the Romance glorify them? Robin Hood effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

…actually if Dynasty Warriors did play up the Robin Hood effect I think it'd make Shu a lot more interesting. Just sayin'.