Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Warriors 3 also got an Empires edition, and it's also like one of the best Empires games ever. God drat, Castle Town was the best thing they ever added and I can't believe Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires apparently won't have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sengoku BASARA owns and you should try it if you haven't. The only problem is that the options in English are basically Basara 3 and, uh, "Devil Kings" for the PS2. You don't want that. If you own a PS3 and are willing to import, Sengoku BASARA HD Collection comes out in Japan next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-S7ODguQhg

The upside to having most of the entire franchise in Japanese is that the games are relatively simple and there are translation guides for them. Sengoku BASARA 1, 2, 2: Heroes, and 3: Utage all have guides and wikis available to get you up to speed. They're basically Warriors games, folks. Not rocket science.

Sengoku BASARA 1
Sengoku BASARA 2
Sengoku BASARA 2: Heroes
Sengoku BASARA 3 Utage wiki and Koei Warriors translations and I guess GameFAQs' message board could help and you can't go wrong with the Japanese guide wiki in Google Translate

5er posted:

Since this is a new thread, I'm going to just take a moment to reiterate that if they turn out another Dynasty Warriors game on the Vita that has gimmick bullshit touch screen / gyroscopic mini-games that you cannot opt out of, it'll be the DW game I don't buy.

Next's big problem is that it just screams "WE'RE USING NEW FEATURES!!!" at every possible moment. I imagine with later games Tecmo Koei will calm down about it and stop shoehorning in gimmicks. It's a great game in the sense that it's a portable version of DW7 that has a pseudo-Empires bent (which may actually be better than DW7: Empires') but all the touching and swiping and tapping gets a little old.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

How much (new) content does Utage have compared to 3 anyway? Sometimes I think about getting that.

Utage is basically the Heroes edition of 3 and it added quite a bit. Here's the broad strokes.

The 14 NPC generals in 3 are now fully playable, but only 8 of them have a story mode. The "local" generic generals are still NPCs (like the IN-VIN-CIBLE Kanetsugu Naoe). Unification Mode from previous games returns along with the Versus mission mode.

There's a new "Awakening" power up, a Tag Team feature which allows you to equip any playable character as an ally and switch your main character out with them in battle, a Lottery feature for more Zenny and items, and of course a Gallery function. Equipment got changed up to be more like BASARA 2 as well. Weapons now have to be leveled up rather than replaced and they grow in power and accessory slot capacity as they level.

I'm thinking about picking it up somewhere down the line as well. It's just that it's kind of hard to go back to BASARA 3 after I spent over 300 hours getting the Platinum trophy in it. I'm much more excited for HD Collection, as I never got to play the old games and it has a preview for the new BASARA game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh hey, here's a new gameplay video for One Piece: Pirate Warriors. A third of it is a tutorial as it's the first stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xwiPg-epdw

Blu-ray release for Europe in September, PSN release for North America presumably in the Summer.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

drat it Koei why won't you bring this over :arghfist::smith:

Koei Warriors has an incredible translation guide on their forums for SW3: Empires. It's not all-encompassing but it covers everything you need to know. Using it (and the Japanese Master Wiki for a trophy or two) I managed to complete the game 100% and got Platinum. Seriously look into it, I think you can get the Asian version off eBay for $50.

edit: Also GameFAQs' monstrous guide for SW3Z also applies to Empires for stuff like equipment and skills. Use that too.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 7, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So here's some more DW7: Empires screens

If the game really has only 7 areas to capture, then Next really is the true DW7: Empires.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

And this image is getting me giddy, and I don't even know what any of it is.

I think that's just a post-battle results screen.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

Maybe I am just weird for wanting all sorts of city building and economic type stuff to be added.

If Samurai Warriors 3: Empires had even a remote amount of strategy and force infrastructure like SW2E then it would be the best Empires game ever.

I mean, gently caress, look at this.

That's a beta version screenshot but god drat Castle Town was the best thing they ever added to the franchise. Being able to build your own city and have it directly affect your army and officers, unlocking new hidden types and evolving buildings, it was all incredibly fun.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Falcon2001 posted:

or do I need to bite the bullet and import SB:Utage?

I wouldn't import Utage at this time. Sengoku Basara HD Collection comes out at the end of next month and includes Basara 1, 2, and 2: Heroes on one disc for about the same price.

abagofcheetos posted:

oh my god

That is never being released in the US, is it? I haven't played any of the Samurai games, I didn't even realize that was a thing.

Nope. It's never getting a US release. On the plus side, Koei Warriors has a fantastic translation guide and a lot of the information in the Samurai Warriors 3 Z translation guides apply to it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, the game is like 11 gigs but the PS3 needs twice that amount of space available temporarily to install it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sengoku Basara HD Collection won't have any kind of DLC of the like so you're PROBABLY good just getting the cheaper Asian edition of it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I recall reading an interview awhile back that while Pokemon Musou was the original concept, they couldn't get the CERO rating down to A (equivalent to ESRB's E for Everyone) so they went with Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Here we go, found the article about it. Looks like I was off.

quote:

As odd as it is to see Nobunaga and other historical figures paired up with cute little Pokemon for overhead strategy in Pokemon + Nobunaga's Ambition, just imagine if they'd been paired up in a high speed action slasher ala Dynasty Warriors. We may have gotten Pokemon meets Dynasty Warriors had Tecmo Koei's original collaboration idea gone through.

In Weekly Famitsu this week, Pokemon chief Tsunekazu Ishihara and Tecmo Koei chief Yoichi Erikawa revealed that the collaboration originally began with the idea of pairing Pokemon with Tecmo Koei's more well known Shin Sangoku Musou (aka Dynasty Warriors) franchise. Tecmo Koei approached Pokemon with the collaboration idea. Ishihara recalled thinking that a pairing with Nobunaga would be nice.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have an opportunity to buy Sengoku Musou 3 Z for $30 at the local import shop, should I take it, or will it just bore me compared to Orochi 3?

$30? gently caress, buy it anyway. I paid $80 new for my copy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well I mean, I asked because the reviews on amazon.jp were not favorable, some people said it was missing that special something that (some) other musou games have. Do you think so?

Hmm... Well, my opinion on it might be a tad tainted. I came into it mere days after investing 300 hours into Sengoku Basara. If I had to judge though, I'd say it feels empty? The maps feel really big and empty with not much detail unlike say DW7.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Famitsu talked to a bunch of game creators and the Warriors dude (Kenichi Ogasawara) was there. He had some interesting stuff to say! Apparently he wants to create a "third pillar" of Musou games to stand alongside Dynasty and Samurai, and that he also wants to make an open world Warriors game.

Oh, and Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (or "True Fist of the North Star" in Japan) comes out this December. In a confusing and potentially dangerous move, Tecmo Koei will be acknowledging Fist of the North Star 2 ever happened and will include the Land of Asura arc. Raoh's arc is getting more content and the Tentei arc will be coming along for the ride, but I'm unsure whether they mean the HnK1 or 2 version of it. The game will have graphics similar to the manga, rather than the hyper-realistic style of the original, for both gameplay and story sequences. On top of that, there's going to be new gameplay features such as Dash and Evasion mechanics. According to Tecmo Koei, the "volume" of content will be double that of the original!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

First look at Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2.

Promo materials really seem to emphasize that one dude from later in the show being here. You know, that one defender of the last successor or whatever and there were like 6 of them and each of them had a weird feature and he was the one who was really lazy and stuff. I've forgotten who he is. Anyway they show off a little of the "manga style" here.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ulio posted:

Policenaut do you know if the Saint Seiya game will be put out on psn(NA)?

I don't think Bandai Namco is going to release Sanctuary Battle in North America. It's no big deal though, you can just buy it from Europe in English for a decent rate.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hold on a second here, are there only three weapons (power, speed, normal) for each general in Samurai 3? And there's no way to upgrade their damage? I'm going to be doing poo poo damage forever?

Sengoku Musou 3 has a really big equipment upgrading system, you can upgrade weapons in lots of different ways to boost their strengths.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well yeah, I see that there are a few different kinds of weapon damage upgrades but I have so few of the materials they want, the highest I can get is level 2 and it doesn't seem to make a very big difference, nothing like between a rank 1 weapon and a rank 2 weapon in any other game.

The ranks can go up to 3 in total, and there's a bunch like "Attack up against officers" and "Attack up while juggling enemies" you can keep stacking onto it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Get ready for Samurai Warriors 4

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Belzac posted:

Sony has said repeatedly that the PlayStation 3 is locked into a 10 year life cycle. I wouldn't expect a PS4 announcement until 2016.

The "10 year life cycle" concept only applies to the expected lifespan of a platform's support, it doesn't apply to whether or not Sony will announce new platforms during it. PS2 came out in 2000 with that same cycle and PS3 came out in 2006 but was still supported for years after.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ulio posted:

Just to be sure, One Piece is coming out on the psn right?

Yeah, it's coming out PSN in North America and on Blu-ray in Europe in September

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

SPREAD TENKA MEWBU OVER THE LAND

Check out Nobunyaga in Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires.

I can't help but feel he would have been better suited for Samurai Warriors 4.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Great, a time traveling giant cat warrior with a occult magic and a habit of reciting Noh theater. Just what the DW series needed.

From what I'm reading, Nobunyaga is a guest character who has to be created in the officer creation menu. He's not a story character.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So the Sengoku Basara dude just told Famitsu that the future of the franchise will be revealed later this month at a special event. Seeing as how Sengoku Basara HD Collection is advertised with having a teaser for "the future" of Basara, yeah they're probably going to make another Basara game. Maybe Meiji Basara? Seeing how they've apparently run out of Sengoku period?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Here's some new screenshots for Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires.

This time they seem to have a screen with a map that shows all the available regions? 24 regions if this is correct.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Here's some new stuff for Ken's Rage 2. All these dudes are playable this time around.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

New video for One Piece: Pirate Warriors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYprSUieBQ

Also Sengoku Basara HD Collection is out now, anyone gonna pick that up?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Just in case y'all didn't see it, Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 and the brand new Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper are coming to Wii U.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YmbFIUF74c

Duel Mode looks hype!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

You know that that is how the Musou series started, right? It has appeared in various Musou games since then, and it always sucks as far as I know. It's the reason they moved to the current style of gameplay in the first place, they suck at doing one-on-one.

From the video, it doesn't look like it adds anything worthwhile to me, other than supposed new characters.

I just really love gimmicky card-based fighting systems ALA SNK Card Fighters/MvC3 Heroes and Heralds.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I sometimes use it on higher difficulties to block the trash musou attacks if it's too late to get out of the way. So almost never.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Famitsu did a little "LIVE at Tokyo Game Show!" thing just before the show opens tomorrow and showed something they weren't supposed to.

ENHANCE!

Shin Sangoku Musou SLASH

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well that letter on the far end sure looks like the tail end of a capital L and I can't think of many other letters that work with LASH. Maybe Clash? This is a company that added a subtitle "Katana" to one of their games, after all.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's apparently a tablet game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 is due out February 2013 on PS3/360/Wii U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU72vMKmBCk

NO NO NO NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? DON'T ACKNOWLEDGE HOKUTO NO KEN 2 EXISTS!

On the plus side, everyone seems to attack faster and there's more characters. Thouzer's fight seems to actually take place at the Bloody Cross Pyramid rather than some random quarry.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVHHcjL_wY

Dynasty Warriors 7: Empires is coming out around the same time as Ken's Rage 2: February 2013, exclusive to PS3.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If you're really into the idea of DW7: Empires, then you might be glad to know that Tecmo Koei plans to release a demo for the game next month in Japan. You'll be able to create your own general and carry them over into the final version, but it probably won't work cross-region so you can just screw around until February. The article has a bunch of screenshots from TK's stage show if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

What the hell is that friend network thing at the bottom, with the cats?

Friend Network is Vita's pseudo-PlayStation Home that's only available in Japan. The whole thing is like this grab bag of stolen gameplay ideas from 3DS' Street Pass games.