Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zhou Tai was added to Wu to my relief. Looks like I'll be picking Dynasty Warriors 8 up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

:confused: was there any doubt he'd be in? He's been with the series since at least DW 3.

True, but I don't really follow Dynasty Warriors a whole lot so I don't know the history of characters disappearing or reappearing on the roster or getting turned into a clone (like Zhou Tai did in 6). So when he shows up in a game with his regular weapon then it is a good day.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Scyther posted:

Have any of you Japanese-savvy, import-happy (or Japan-residing) folks gotten to play 7:Empires yet, and have any impressions of it? 7 and 5:Empires are tied for my favorite game in the series, so I'm hoping 7:Empires will blow my mind.

I'm wondering this too. There are youtube videos out there of battles and stuff, but I'm curious to know the major difference between being a Merc and being a General under a Ruler in terms of gameplay. I know you can do coop with the merc stuff, but that's all I know.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The GIG posted:

Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires site updated today, detailing Extra mode with online Co-op and CAW uploading. Also, most of the sections with screenshots explaining things now are using the translated screens.

Man, there's a lot to the game. Is this the first time an Empires game had this much stuff? The last one I played was Samurai Warriors 2 Empires (I can't pop it in and find out because my 360 is dead).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Buggy, Crocodile, and Mihawk are playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2. Geez this is really making PW1 look like a really awful prototype game.

Holy poo poo! They're going all out with this one.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Play the early Dynasty Warriors games. Hearing them call him Cow Cow was beyond funny. It's just a phonetic language. I play Age of Wushu occasionally, which is a MMO set in Fantasy China, and I feel like I'm pronouncing every single name in that game wrong because I read it as if it is an English name.

Empires 7 was released today in Europe, anyone pick it up? I forgot I had Empires 6 and booted that up. I've forgotten how much I hate the movesets in that game, especially when you're low level and don't have many moves to do.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I just hope Sony is a bit more lax with their standards with disc-based games next gen. I like digital downloads but I rather own the physical discs. Just let me buy the disc copy of Empires 7 (and Way of the Samurai 4 while I'm at it).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does the game automatically fill up your campaign with CAW from the net when you start a new campaign? I'm not entirely sure how that works. Aside from not knowing what to do as a vagabond leader, I'm having a heck of a fun time playing the game. The pop-in and framerate aren't that great (I expect such things from these games, hopefully they'll have a constant 30fps with a ton of poo poo on screen with the PS4) but it's just a far better designed game than Empires 6. Better movesets, better loading times, gameplay is just better. It's the best Empires game that I've played.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's the ultimate goal of a vagabond leader anyway? Or isn't there one and it simply exists as a multiplayer device and a means to build up a small force before joining a lord (or becoming one yourself)?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

OneDeadman posted:

So far I'm enjoying 7 empires! However, screw every allied officer with the Lockout stratagem.

Quit locking me in newly captured bases you jerks :argh:seriously though, it has happened literally every time my allies have used it

I'm actually quite surprised that one is the only one they used stupidly. I've seen them use their others ones really effectively.

Is there any prerequisite to becoming Emperor or is it some random event?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My friend was disappointed that there wasn't same-sex marriages, so I just told her that Ancient China wasn't terribly progressive with gay rights and China would probably ban the game if Liu Bei could marry Cao Cao.

Jokes aside, what is the response from China on these games anyway? They take this sort of things insanely seriously, considering a Japanese developer is making games on Chinese history.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The one thing I'm kind of bummed out about is that armies are made up of junk. I really liked how random mooks had ranks and the better the rank the better their health and they attacked more often. I was hoping that training and getting army ranks up would mean there would be more corporals and lieutenants than privates and they would generally be more effective. Alas, it just means you control more people. The day Empires adds in the ability to direct your army (not just your generals) is the day the Empire franchise becomes the best ever. I really like the Kingdom Under Fire games, but the heavy metal, chainmail bikini horeshit designs they're adapting into their upcoming game really turns me off these days.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

From what I understand, Wu just basically surrendered when Jin approached with their massive army. The Sun's family greatness was front-loaded and it seemed like the descendants were just tyrannical pricks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

In one of my games the planets aligned and had each prominent member of the Sun family have their own kingdom. Xiang's kingdom conquered them all by the end. I guess maybe she should have ruled Wu! :tinfoil:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Would DW7:E be a good jumping-on point for someone who hasn't played a mainline DW game ever? Or would pretty much everything going on be lost to me?

I am really super interested in that create an officer thing and I like musou games in general.

Empires doesn't really have a storied campaign mode. It's more free-form, make your own story type of game. The management adds a level of depth to it not in the core games but the battles themselves aren't as scripted or objective-based like the core ones are. Having played Empires a ton so far, I think it's well worth picking up.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Marshall D. Teach (Blackbeard) is playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2.

They should just announce that everyone who ever has appeared in One Piece who did a special attack will appear in Pirate Warriors 2 and save themselves some paper all while making people go bananas. However, that said, if Pandaman isn't in the game then no sale. :colbert:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

2 will have a special place for being the first I've played and being amazed at the scope of it. 4 is when things got really awesome. But for me, I think 3 has one of the best soundtracks of the Dynasty Warrior games. Though I can pick out a whole bunch of my favorite tracks from 2-4.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always liked the Red Cliff flims by John Woo. The first one is full of politicking and the second is the actual battle of Chi Bi in all its glory. It focuses more on Wu than anything else and we get a pretty great portrayal of Sun Quan dealing with living in the shadows of greatness of his father and older brother.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's the over/under on how many numbered titles before they start making real use of the advanced hardware for their Warrior games? I played very little or skipped a lot of the Dynasty Warrior games this generation so I couldn't tell you where that leap in visuals was. (Only one I played for a number of hours was 7 Empires)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Is Sengoku Basara still cared about here? There was a preview video of the next one posted on play-asia recently and it's apparently out in less than a month. No PS4 version though :(.

e: probably missed something in one of the recent pages, but haven't been paying attention lately...

More would if the drat things would come over to the US. I like them because there's a level of insanity to them that's really not in Dynasty Warriors that much. Things are just so over-the-top in the Sengoku Basara games. I'm still waiting for the day when these kind of games start playing like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta with combo systems and boss fights are like boss fights in those games. I think that's the next evolution of this genre.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought about giving Nobunaga's Ambition a shot since I've been in the mood for that kind of game lately and I played Shogun 2 to death. Which of the ones that has come out in the US is considered the best of the bunch? Looking at the wiki it seems like most of the franchise doesn't find its way out of Japan, which is unfortunate since it looks like a ton of fun.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope they redo all the edit parts. The ones in 7 were part new stuff and most old stuff. The differences between the two were pretty noticeable.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish the Basara games still came to the US. They were different enough from the Warrior games that they had a place in the market. They were just so over-the-top and flashy that it made up for the smaller, cramped maps you fought on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's great news. 2 is so much fun and if they can continue to improve and refine from that point then 3 is going to be a treat.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Oh my word, Dragon Quest Heroes looks so good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTXBxHMJAPg

Square-Enix, hurry up and announce this for overseas c'mon I need this.

'Cor blimey!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Isn't the Warrior series incredibly popular with women in Japan and that's why all the men look the way the do? Or was that just some joke thing I read on the internet. Either way, even though the western press like to bash the franchises a lot, it would be a real shame if they ever stop making these games. There are no others like it on the market, which is really loving weird.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If (really, when) they make a Samurai Warriors 4: Empires which formula will they follow? 3: Empires never came out in the US and if I recall correctly that game did some fairly different things.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How are the CAW stuff in 8:Empires? I thought they were OK in 7 but more than a few of the outfits did l look like they were ripped from older games without much done to improve them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I played the Nobunaga's Ambition PS2 games after asking about them in this thread a while back and I really enjoyed them, thought I wasn't really that great. How has the series changed since the PS2 era games? I can definitely see myself picking the game up for the PS4 or PC, if the port is any good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish Capcom would bring Sengoku Basara to the West again. Samurai Heroes was fun but that was eons ago in that franchise's life. I want something for the PS4 dammit!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Call of Duty Warriors. The ultimate in yearly sequels.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's a bummer. I do hope that it's a game where you fight some titans then you sit around and talk for several hours before attacking some titans then sitting around talking for another several hours then the game ends. Kind of like the manga.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The last Onimusha game had a blonde hair samurai fighting demons too. This looks like an Onimusha game. This pleases me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I got Samurai Warriors 4 for Christmas and holy smokes, this game is drat good. I haven't played the series since 2 but having triangle be a crowd destroying combo starter was a great idea. I'm having loads of fun just mucking around in Chronicle Mode. I'm looking forward to playing Empires when that comes out in March. The graphics are pretty decent too. The one area where it's raining out looks pretty alright.

I'll have to pop it in and see if I'm just not remembering it correctly but what did they do to Mitsuhide movest? It's friggan lousy. He was one of my go-to characters in previous entries (in Samurai Warriors 2, Ginchiyo replaced him) and he had a really good selection of moves. In 34 they're all incredibly lackluster with this Square x4 then triangle (Where you draw the full moon) is probably the worst in the game. It does hardly any damage and it has no combo attached to it. Luckily Ginchiyo is still god-tier.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 29, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder how Samurai Warriors 4: Empires will compare to 7 and 8's Empire games. I always preferred the Empire games, so I hope there's a lot to the upcoming one.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Week and a half until Samurai Warriors 4 Empires. I'm pumped! It better be a whole lot better than Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I appreciate the fact that SW4: Empires makes bases a bit harder to take this time around. In Dynasty 7 and 8 Empires you just go in, whoop the officer's butt then you get the base. Takes like a minute. But in this one you have to killKO a bunch of guys and if an officer enters the arena you have to take care of them first before the camp falls.

Formations also turn the tide of battle dramatically.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What's that whole "compatibility" thing for when you create a character?

I wish SW4: Empires had that online database for CAW characters like DW7:Empires did. That was perfect for filling out the roster. Unless there is one and I'm just missing it somewhere.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I didn't get Samurai Warriors 4-II so this is the first time I'm seeing Naomasa Ii's moveset.

:stare:

You press three buttons and everything in front of you just explodes in a fury of movement and particle effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, that spear CAW moveset is such a dumpster of burning garbage. Slow, lovely combos, and the musou is pathetic. Then they give it to 90% of all the lesser generals. I'm also not a fan of those stupid "protect person" missions since they tend to be on the other side of the map and by the time you get there you already failed.

Between games they made the horse pathing utter trash. In 4 it ran right to you and you hopped on. In Empires the stupid thing zig zags around and never gets to you unless you stop moving and wait a hour for the dumb thing to get to you.

Those are some gripes I have from playing SW4 Empires. Pretty solid so far.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 21, 2016