Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Is a proper bow acceptable as secondary? 'Master of War' and all, even if he ain't Huang Zhong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

And you can get EVEN MORE movesets via DLC...whenever Koei get round to releasing them at least.

I'd have thought the so-called 'complete edition' would have that DLC in place already. Isn't that the point of calling it so?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Static Rook posted:

The times I remember your main camp/commander really being constantly attacked are on specific battles where that's A Thing. Usually if you clear away the guys around the camp you don't have to worry too much. Plus with the horse you can get back quick if you need, even quicker if you use the musou attack while riding.

You unlock the skills by doing the same thing you need to do to level them up. So, for Quick Learner you have to "kill an officer afflicted with a status ailment." Some people have EX moves that will give their weapon a fire/poison/slow buff, or you can buy/find a weapon with one of those skills on it. Slow is the easiest one to use for this, I think it's called Morass in the game. BUT, just fulfilling the requirement doesn't mean you'll get the unlock/level up. KT made it a percentage chance to unlock, higher percentage on higher difficulty. How "fun." But again, you'll unlock and level poo poo up like crazy just by playing. Only Fortune Hunter and Equestrian are ones you have to go out of your way to level.

For you and anybody else just getting into/getting back into the game I'd again suggest skipping back 10-20 pages in the thread to when the PS4/Vita versions came out. We had a lot of the same issues/questions and there were some informative posts. Not that asking lots of questions is bad either, glad to the thread picking up in traffic. PC version does seem way buggier though.

I really am curious as to whether morale is still present as a real thing that needs managing, and whether it's actually possible to get to a state where the AI can do kills and stuff without you. It seems unclear.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It's usually done 'Dong Tu Na' Not 'Dong Tuna'. But that seems to vary from game to game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I'm glad you start off with several animals in Ambition(It's under DLC. A variant of Red Hare, two pandas, and a fox that heals and/or gives Musou when critical. I have no idea whether they're one-time-only).

But I wonder when these were given out in the original releases, if at all?

Got this yesterday, it finished installing earlier today. Thanks to advice here, it ran well till overheating made it reboot. We'll see if having the fans on Turbo helps. Also up-to-date BIOS(Which forced a refresh of 8.1, don't ask me why-which means reinstalling it AGAIN) and fan control software. So many things needed when dealing with a new build, ugh.)

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 18, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

The skills are more useful in part 2, so you can just wait till then if you want.

You wanna explain this? Do you get more slots, do the skills change, do you get upgrades, what?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I already knew he had a daughter thanks to DW4-a major objective is stopping her carriage to Yuan Shu at Xiapi. Didn't know her name, though.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Yes, but you can say he was a rabble-rouser and revolutionary as well as maybe a wizard. The Yellow Turbans was a Historical Thing.

...I'm reminded of 4 again. You protect Zhuge Liang's altar, and in the cutscene he says "There is no magic here. I know the wind will blow today."

It's weird when you look at everyone throwing out the crazy(Laser beams, for instance), even then. But at the same time....let's take the Yellow Turbans in one of their missions. The winds are windmills, yet the Phantom Army is caused by giant cauldrons of POWER that need smashing. Sun Jian calls this a 'gimmick'.

On another note, I'm disliking the nature of how the off-screen is handled in 8XLCE. People are dying in literal seconds with the morale bar only a little on the red side. I know, it's always Up To You, but this is excessive. Add to this bases you capture somehow flipping back in seconds from...apparently nothing, and I have annoyance.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 19, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Even KOEI's black-and-white has them as 'The way of Peace'. Not anything overly derogatory. Though the 'preacher/cult' bit can be regarded as sketchy.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

HenryEx posted:

gently caress the fortune hunter skill. You need to have over 1500 KOs before you defeat an officer to just get "a chance" at getting it?

Jesus, what a grind.

Summon Enemy calls about 100 troops a time. Assuming you carry two people with it, with the third having Gather Supplies for the sake of time, you may only need to hunt down 500 'in the field'.

Warning, don't try to cheese it by trying to call them all at once. Start a new summon and the first lot vanish.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

So, making death weapons. What do you prefer as combinations?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Chachi posted:

I know why they didn't allow you to bring three weapons (because then the rock-paper-scissors system would be meaningless), but man it is just SO HARD sometimes to settle on only two choices :negative:

My issue is almost the opposite. Of course you keep your EX weapon, the problem is not using one specific secondary on everyone ever-Lu Bu's halberd is obvious, but things like Sun Jian's weapon or the harp. Compatibility isn't a concern, so you can go so crazy.

Of course, most of this is because we have everything open from the start, that wasn't the case in normal 8. We'd have to unlock people to use their weapon and use them in Ambition, for instance.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I'm kinda wondering whether they'll...bother. Ambition, especially with this 'second part', is practically an Empires Mode already. Maybe a DLC rather than a full release, sort of thing?

'Feats' as currency. That's usually a 'Romance of Three Kingdoms' currency, not a 'Dynasty Warriors' currency. The day approaches when they'll merge the two outright.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 21, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

It depends with me. Sometimes I use two of the same, sometimes I don't. My perspective is kinda warped in that I started with Ambition heavily. I've only started going through the story recently(And getting annoyed at how bad the weapons available in story are compared to ambition. Still, I should have expected it).

I mean, some of the four-stars are...weird. Would you see Zhang Liao being good with a paintbrush? I wouldn't, but he is. So I throw it on him because of that.

Cai Wenji was a case of 'her base weapon lacked damage, find something else to complement it'. The Ringed Blade was a melee weapon with soundwaves. Perfect-new weapon AND fitting. Now I like the moveset and want to throw it on everyone. It was only when I got Sun Jian that I found it was his moveset, though I wondered, given how it moved. And as I advanced, I find the damm harp is actually better than I expected and want to throw THAT on everyone ever.

Diao Chan was my starter in Ambition(Still in part 1, mind you). So of course I threw the Halberd on her. Wouldn't you? As you'd expect, she's not only my highest but an utter monster in combat. It's not all the halberd either, given the whip has a power buff and good attacks.

Of course, my opinions don't mesh with the little reading I've done in Game FAQS, but they're seemingly playing on a different level to the point of being a different game.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 22, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I just wonder how they'll work Lu Bu in there. Because you KNOW they will. They can't stop themselves at this point.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Are we talking regular halberdy stuff or should he be using the energy blasts he got as Musous in 8? Either is interesting, but I wonder.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Orochi shows up and asks for everyone's help to fight the real evil: Kaioh.

My own thought on the subject. I'm certain the DLC Sabatons of 8 are a Ken's Rage moveset(Though I'm not sure who's), so there's precedent.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 24, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

straight jerkers posted:

DW Online was basically dota

As someone who played it a time, that wasn't the case, or at least not entirely. Most of the time your objectives were something other than Kill Players.

...It'll be interesting to see whether they'll bother to bring the new edition of Online over here. Yes, there is one. Based on DW7 rather than 5.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

35 per bodyguard, minimum. 5 on use, 30 on completion. Though in the end, you'll likely run Gather Supplies+Summon Enemy by default. Time is everything.

One thing I can't figure is whether the secondary skill earned via bond is fixed, or dependant on who you use to unlock it.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 27, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, eventually you can just buy levels in Ambition mode, but I haven't gotten anyone close to level 150 so I don't know how much it would end up costing.

450,000 per character assuming that character is starting from Level 1. The largest EXP boost costs 6000 for 4800 EXP, and there's no variation in levelling speed by character, it seems. Of course, after that there's outright buying stat boosts for even MORE power.

quote:

You can straight up buy those on Normal difficulty in the last maps of a Kingdom story.

Not always. There's still random chance that it'll throw you nothing but Level 3s, same as sometimes happens in Ambition even with a maxed Blacksmith. There's also those late maps that simply don't give you the chance to buy.

It's apparently(According to Steam community) possible to abuse difficulty settings to get high-rank weapons in early story stores, and then quit.

Random thinking: Wonder why Linqui only exists in the normal Lu Bu storyline? You'd think she'd show up in Hypothetical, but no.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 31, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Maleketh posted:

It's still nothing on Wei's "Kill Tao Qian" objective.

Not impossible as long as you don't get bogged down, even on a standard horse. Hit your objectives, when he starts really running, use all your musou on horse charge, don't stop unless you have to. You should make it to him with a little distance to spare. This was with Dian Wei. Didn't have good weapons, either.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

ExMortis posted:

Is that an academy rank thing or is the "upgrade" food from the teahouse actually permanent stat boosts?

Academy Rank thing. You can buy permanent health boosts, attack boosts, defence boosts. 12,000 per one. So basically you can max out any character just like the old days of farming swords or shields or the max health +10 buns. Want to turn Xiao Qiao into Lu Bu++? You can.

...Just got the Wu Hypothetical. Very nice, very reasonable.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I want to like him, but he comes off as whiny. I can't blame him, he's surrounded by fan favorites. Even so. "Stop getting all the attention!" SHUT UP. Your whole deal is 'you get the job done'. So get it done.

Then again, all the officers get whiny under AI. They're so quick to struggle, so quick to die. And yet they self-cure if you actually manage to get to them. WHich I suppose is nice. I just wish it wasn't so...all-or-nothing.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 1, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

DW4's was the worst though hands down.

I can't disagree. But at the same time...

I disliked the hoops jumped through to earn stages, which characters may be tied to. But in a sense it's no different from what they're pulling in 8 with the hypotheticals and the kingdom focus. And there were minorly interesting scenarios(Dong Zhuo surviving often has you fight him again alongside Nanman. Dong Zhou on an elephant.)

Did like that they at least tried to give Yellow Turbans and Nanman a full 'conquer the land' bit. And Lu Bu, of course.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Don't send people you want to keep out, or keep them as bodyguards where even if they die they won't become free officers and need fetching from the old stages.

God, that sounds snide, but there's little else for it. At the very least it shouldn't be too hard to get him back-as noted he'll be in the old stages.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

This also means hunting down hypotheticals is a case of the right character in the right place at the right time, though. The plot will object to you being in the wrong place.

...Much like DW4.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 2, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Speedball posted:

"I am my own opponent? This will be difficult!"

I really am gonna have to go through Free Mode at some point and see whether we get that kind of thing again. As we've just seen, the previous games were good at acknowledging that kind of weirdness.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not even a leader switch if appropriate? Oh dear.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Everyone has multiple responses to being beaten by, assisting, or joining people higher or lower on the social scale than them. They're marked 'superior' and 'inferior'.

They seem to be present, though of course I can't tell much because my character selection is slim. Unlocking them all would likely take as long as the full Ambition Mode itself, including the second campaign.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as I'm aware. Some are obvious(Someone like Cao Cao will get talked 'up' to, as he is superior), some are not(Who the hell outranks Cao Cao that he'll be deferential?).

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 3, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I'm more surprised it's a separate release, given Ambition, especially with the second part, is practically an Empires mode as is.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

I'm semi-glad. Annoyed at extra payment for a 'complete edition'. Glad they're willing to make it complete. There's also the fact they already gave us DLC that one could say we should not have gotten.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Certainly. But 'girlish' is perhaps flawed, given Chen Gong and most of the men in the game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Now that the Sima clan's been migrated to Jin, one can say they don't have many of their own.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

High personal morale will do that. Anyone with high morale will always win off-screen conflicts. Max morale people, ally or enemy, will basically rip through everything in seconds before you have a chance to react.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

I dunno why they suddenly decided on 'benevolence' as the Shu catchall word.

It is the closest word to describe what he's after. But it's not just 'being good'.

It's sometimes regarded as wrong to simply link to Wikipedia, but looking up Confuicanism may help in understanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucianism

If my small understanding is correct, he was pushing for a place that upheld the the ideals of Confucianism in full, without 'petty minds' or so on.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

You're on the right track given killing officers is worth 30 seconds and 100 kills is also worth 30 seconds.

Abuse the 'Gather Supplies' bodyguard skill. It grants extra time based on KO count. 180 is worth about a minute and scales up from there. 'Summon Enemy' can be abused in combination with this or on it's own. The body guard heads for the nearest exit and vanishes. Roughly 10 seconds later, he comes back with 100+ enemies in tow.

Not quite infinite time, but fairly close. You can maintain a real long time by this.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

I just accidentally got the rank 6 Wired Claws stuff while leveling her up to try and get the rank 5 ones. :psyduck: The guide I was looking at didn't even mention rank 6 stuff existing.

They're so god drat ugly. :negative:

I'll note you can seemingly access the conditions for the Rank 6 weapons direct from the weapon gallery without any pre-conditions, as far as I'm aware. The Rank 5s are more annoying in that you need to clear every story mode before it will deign to tell you how to get them.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Guys, guys.

Lord of the Rings Musou.

Would that work?

Evil has character issues as compared to good in the Third Age, but it's been thought of by many here. Also potentially weapon types. It depends whether you're happy with lots of people using the same weapon in different ways.

The issue is the Tolkien Estate, of course.

With enough goons or goon types and standard characters, almost anything can be a Musou of Battlefront kinda game(Thinking of Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefront 2).

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Maybe start with your standard ROTK game first, then the Musou?