Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Are there stages that are more commonly played, or is the DW8 XL community semi-kaput? (I don't have the original)

If it matters I haven't gotten out of the first part of ambition mode.

EDIT: PS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Other solution is to pick people who can naturally break guards with their moves, i.e. Zhao Yun's twirly air spear impale thing, Lu Bu's face-grab or spamming the poo poo out of Zhou Tai's red sword-slash thing.

Switch attacks are pretty good too.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Got WO3 Ultimate for PS4 from Amazon today after playing DW8XL on PS3; despite being on a newer system, the former is still a bit clunkier than the latter, although I don't know what I expected since WO3 is super old compared to DW8.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Dunno if I was doing something wrong, but I tried to pull out a level 2 person from some leveling in the battle of Dongkou and Huang Gai suplexed me and killed me in like one hit; is this one of those do not pursue lubu things?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Maleketh posted:

That's Warriors Orochi. Enemies inflict way more damage, and it's not abnormal for an under-leveled character to be killed in one shot by a Musou attack. Level that guy in an earlier stage, or use growth point to level him artificially.

Yeah, enemies seem so much more aggressive too; I start running towards them and an entire unit tries to jump forward and stab me 90% of the time. Kind of wish there was some kind of real tutorial in this game like in DW8.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Maleketh posted:

You can always play on Easy, though Normal is better since Easy doesn't give you Crystals.

It's not that bad, just surprising since DW8 is so much more forgiving, so I was kind of expecting the same thing. Listening to the voice acting though, I wonder how many times they've reused the same lines...

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I think my only complaints with WO3U is that the popin is really bad considering that it's on an actually modern platform (PS4), and that they actually make me use other people sometimes. What do you mean I have to raise bonds of Kai and and a bunch of other chumps to access some levels; I just to slash everything in half with Zhou Tai :argh:.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

If you played the PS4 DW8 port, how does it compare to that?

Also, for people not familiar with SW characters in O3U, hold down the button for their Musou. That tripped me up when I played it on PS3. :saddowns:

Unfortunately I only have the PS3 version of DW8/XL so I can't say. Definitely felt better on PS3 version at least though.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 4, 2014

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I'm going to correct myself and say the popin on WO3 Ultimate PS4 is getting pretty shameful; I'm only on chapter 3 and already I can't see enemy officers sometimes until they're smacking me in the face.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Is there a fast way to raise bonds in Orochi 3? That seems like the most annoying thing when it comes to unlocking characters.

Think the best way is to Tea House (moon viewing the characters you need the relationships with) then take them all into Battle for Tong Gate Redux, go through the ships at the bottom, run past Nezha, then just beeline for Cao Pi and kill him.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Anybody else download SW4 from PSN and keep getting some "This mode has not been fully downloaded yet" message when you try to access anything but story mode?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
How am I supposed to answer these quizzes in Chronicles mode; who is the Blossom of Chaos?

I play these games to learn about highly fictionalized oriental history, not to get tested on them :argh:.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
So uh what do these bonus points in 8:E actually do; I can spend them but I have no idea what happens.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It feels a bit weird to play WO3 after playing DW8, since the base engine or whatever is older and feels a bit clunky.

Same with going from SW4 to DW8:E, since the SW4 engine to me feels a bit more polished.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I beat the story mode of Fire Emblem Warriors. Pretty good, still have yet to dive into the true postgame (lunatic/history mode) and prob will do it sometime in the coming week. A couple gripes:

1. Gearing up people is a chore, gotta go into multiple menus and even the optomize button is annoying since have to manually select every unit and hit it again and again, not to mention having to unlock the proper badge for the weapon rank individually.

2. The badge screen and equipment screen are two different menus entirely, and the former can't be done when you're on the mission briefing screen which is just annoying.

That's all off the top of my head, I really liked the game otherwise.

You realize there's an optimize all menu option right? Not saying there aren't other UI issues, but that shouldn't be one of them.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Were there any big changes to rank/minibosses in HW:definitive vs the originals? Basically I really disliked the slogs of the minibosses in the original release, and also the 1 hit adventure maps.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Thanks. Did they improve any move sets? I remember certain ones feeling really terrible to play, like Fi.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The frame rate is trash when docked too. Pretty sure I was getting maybe 20 fps max on the first demo level.

The new map/item system is pretty cool. The perfect dodge system seems really tight on timing, maybe I'm just bad though.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't know if it holds throughout the game but they brought back the one-hit failure from HW1, except it's only for you this time. Thankfully the only level I've done that was available so far was short, but since they labeled it as "beginner" I assume there's at least two more levels.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don’t know about you but usually I just mash light into heavy on attack animation timing only in other musou games, but in AoC unless you do the exact number of button presses needed you won’t get the combo you want in my experience.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The complete edition of DW8XL (includes base game and XL) is like $20 on PS4, the switch version is $40 but includes all the DLC, if you own any of those consoles.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Warriors all stars 2 :colbert:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I just played through SOS recently and it seems strange to me they went through all the effort to make masayuki sasuke and Chacha just to never use them again, but SW5 looks cool so I don’t mind.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Either DW8XL or SW4 (not 4-2 or SoS) are probably the best to start off with, 8XL has more content, SW4 feels a bit more polished to me, aside from the silly text lag thing.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it, but Chronicles mode is better than the tower and the storylines of SW4 are better than the character-specific storylines in SW4-2 (opinion, of course).

It's not a bad game, just if I had to pick one I'd probably pick the original (and probably SoS) over it.

I also really like SoS's music, for whatever that's worth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4h_4iLCBZ0

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
There’s a new trailer for DW9E:

https://youtu.be/hH7h0jv9EvE

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah, young nobu just feels really bad to play with his favored weapon; maybe it'll get better when he gets better combos but the other chars felt a lot better in the demo.

Bow actually played better than I thought it would.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't mind the clones that much since the ultimate skills and special EX moves do create a decent amount of diversity, but YMMV really.

I'm not a huge fan of how some of the chars are handled:

No dies super early, and probably Sena will bite it pretty soon I would guess thanks to historical stuff (right now I'm in the middle of Nobunaga crushing the Azai-Asakura alliance); I also felt Imagawa died a bit too early too, there wasnt' really enough Lu Bu time for me to be satisfied

Maps are okay, peons and officers are definitely a lot more aggressive than in SW4. Also those blue spear mooks are hilarious waste of time to kill and aren't worth it at all, since you basically need to spend an ultimate to kill them, they have super armor, and stunlock you with their pokes.

Music is good but they definitely remixed a lot of stuff from older games and SoS.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't understand the naginata at all, it just feels terrible to me. The odachi still feels a bit clunky but once Nobunaga gets his special moves and some atk speed it at least lawnmows everything.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 29, 2021

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Finally finished all the musou missions, there's a couple hypothetical scenarios which are decently cool.

Overall I think the bow, cannons, great spear, and talismans are probably my favorite weapons.

Katana feels cool but seems a bit weak in damage.

Odachi is a bit slow and clunky for my taste but it's carried by Nobunaga's EX moveset later.

Dual swords and naginata felt terrible for me.

I didn't dabble too much in the other weapons so I can't really say too much about them.

Momochi's ultimate skill is turbobusted though.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 30, 2021

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Well they revamped him so I expected him to stick around a bit longer although historically he would die early in this timeline, just thought there'd be a bit more of him.

The remix thing is only really notable to me because they brought in part of the Sanada Maru music from SoS into it.

I guess other comments; the aging is kind of cool but feels out of place since nobody else ages, Ieyasu stays a small person forever.

Mitsuhide's path gives a bit more context to the story but often times you've already played that exact same scenario with Nobunaga so it gets a bit old. It gets better after the "timeskip" though.

Yasuke shows up super late (for timeline reasons) so you don't get to use him much.

Honestly I never used rage mode much, pretty much only on final bosses with more than one health bar. The main annoying thing is that those enemies have to get a small transition period to move to their next bar during which time they're invincible, and if you're juggling them or freezing them they also can't move to their next health bar.

It's best to use rage mode on the last bar since they get increased stats too.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
against large groups of riflemen the best choice is to press the musou button if you're getting hitlocked; ultimate skills if you're actually close enough although those can't get you out of hitstun. Or play somebody who uses great spears as they get enough super armor to go through rifle bullets.

Picked up one of the rare weapons last night and they just seem bad, they're fixed slots and levels so they're probably just worse than a 8 slot silver filled with the good skills.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I think it's pretty decent, that said Koei Tecmo doesn't often have sales so you might be waiting awhile.

All the DLC is probably skippable, think it's a few bonus scenarios, rare weapons, and some cosmetic stuff.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 5, 2021

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Feel like the game was kind of held back by the Vita when I played it, the maps were pretty dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It’s basically sw4 but solely focused on the Sanada. The stratagem things you can use during the battles are pretty cool though.

Also it has one of the best tracks in the series

https://youtu.be/N4h_4iLCBZ0?si=76BCPPxsiuj6KcOh