Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I found myself picking up 8XL again on PC recently and it's still pretty fun. I also have SW4-II but something about the default camera position in it bugs the hell out of me.

I hope SW5 is good, but I'll wait for some kind of complete or definitive edition because of course there will be one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've got the PC port of DW8XL and it plays fine with controllers, the more annoying thing for me is that it doesn't go into borderless windowed mode.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of which, I got to play Hyrule Warriors for the first time recently and it's pretty drat good. Except for the big bosses cause they all require you just wait with a thumb up your rear end for one specific attack before you can do any damage to them.

Also, very strange that it doesn't have dodge offset like One-Piece Musou had.

Hyrule Warriors bosses are awful when you need a good time on a map in order to get a new character or weapon, and the boss just refuses to become vulnerable, especially the bosses that are otherwise invincible. At least some of them you can do chip damage while you wait.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I still want a Disgaea warriors. It's such a perfect setting.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

How's the PC version? Musou games are always a real mixed bag on PC, but I'd hope that by now they'd be good at it

I tried the trial of the PC version, it's probably the smoothest it's ever been. Controls were mapped like a sane person, framerate seemed perfectly fine. A huge improvement over SW4-2, and even over DW8XL.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The demo had an issue for me where it would swap to my second monitor when I tried to fullscreen it and I couldn't fix that at all. Seemed to run fine otherwise.

I didn't try to fullscreen it, I'm used to DW8XL not wanting to go on the screen I want it on fullscreen so I end up playing windowed.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I don't mind characters having similar move sets, is this game worth getting now? Or should I wait until it's dirt cheap?

Wait for the edition that comes with all the DLC at the very least.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I still want a Disgaea Musou game. The setting is perfect for it, but NIS is kind of awful at stuff lately.

Another Gundam Musou would be great too. Gundam Breaker is fun, but doesn't quite scratch the same itch.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I got Hyrule Warriors for Switch for Xmas, and is it just me or does it absolutely zoom in terms of framerate? It just feels like the game goes really fast with the animations sometimes.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Definitive Edition or Age of Calamity? I haven't noticed any framerate issues in DE personally, and the issues in AOC tend to be dips, not spikes.

If you're playing DE, you'll want to exit the game when you're not playing it, because IIRC there's a memory leak that'll start causing rendering issues and eventually crashes if you leave the game running too long.

DE, I have Age of Calamity too but haven't gotten to it.

But that memory leak is good to know about. But i was playing as Lana and everything just seemed to be animating really quickly.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

5-Headed Snake God posted:

There were also the Fate/Extella games, which weren't quite the same but were reasonably solid.

The first one plays a bit rough around the edges and enemy lieutenants have way too much health.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Flytrap posted:

Honestly there's just so many settings and time periods just begging for a Musou game that it's almost absurd that it doesn't happen more often, especially since KT seems to remember how to be good when they're hired to work on other properties. How is there still not an Final Fantasy Musou, a 40k one, Star Wars, anything really.

It still boggles my mind that there isn't a Disgaea Musou. It's perfect for it.

And lets get another proper Gundam Musou while we're at it!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've played quite a bit of Three Hopes, and it's got a pretty great gameplay loop that could be adapted to any other sort of Musou for the story-related battles where you actually have a map and objectives on it, someof which you have to race towards to clear out. Not super complex, but it's really nice.

Imagine that with Gundam, you have the 'Battle of Odessa' chapter, but the actual battle is the finale, and you have to cross the map to get there, finishing various objectives to clear the way and possibly get other advantages in the final battle.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Is it worth playing Three Hopes if you're extremely unlikely to ever get around to playing Three Houses first.

Three Houses will give you more context for what's going on, but Three Hopes stands alone well enough.

Its definitely not something you'd want to play again right away either, there's just not enough variety in movesets compared to most musou games.

But if you really want a good musou on switch, go for Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, it's got so much more content and variety.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate Definitive Edition on PC is pretty good too. I haven't played the whole thing yet, but it plays well and has tons of content. Maybe a little bit on the harder side at default difficulty, at least when it comes to fighting some enemy commanders.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

So how many decades it's been since a Musou game where enemies could hit you?

You can definitely be hit by the archers in Hyrule Warriors at least.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

It and Pirate Warriors 3 really feel like the peak, especially compared to their inferior sequels. I did quite enjoy Three Hopes as a different evolution of the genre, far better than the original Fire Emblem Warriors.

I love the 'map mode' of Three Hopes, and it seems like a no-brainer to include that in future games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I got my PS3 running again and got back into Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn. Lost my save data but that's just as well.

Really makes me want a newer Gundam Musou even more, with all the shows that have come out since then. Reborn doesn't have anything after Unicorn or 00.

At least Gundam Breaker 4 is coming.