Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Just a note: The "install" is only temporary, and you'll need to keep both discs in your possession to use the feature. So no renting one, getting an install key/package, and having half the combined game free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The beginning of the Fellowship movie sure LOOKS like a musou game, with Sauron as your player character.

Someone get on the phone to Tecmo Koei and make this loving happen right now.

"SAURON WARRIORS" is now the best game idea.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Why did they put Cao Ren's head on Dian Wei's body?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Saith posted:

The one where you fight the three kingdoms, Jin, and then Lu Bu and his entourage has gotta be the most fun I've had with a DW game in years.

Every Warriors game should have a stage like this where you just beat the poo poo out of the entire game.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

5er posted:

If they go the Other M route, Zhao Yun can be revealed to be a woman when his armor breaks off, and every faction's story line will involve him getting distraught about Adou as a baby.

Hey, considering Liu Shan's later life, I see no reason this wouldn't be an improvement.

Also, I don't think it's been mentioned in the thread, so on the topic of the free fantasy scenario pack for Empires on PSN: it appears to be exactly the same as the $3.99 version. "Buying" it even pulls up a "select your version" menu, with one free, one not. I downloaded the "free" version, and there appears to be no difference whatsoever. I don't know if it's an error, if the pay version was an error, or if they're doing some weird poo poo where they're basically scamming you by making you pay for early DLC access to a scenario pack, but yeah. There's also the new scenario pack that's $3.99, so I guess if this happens again, we have some sort of answer.

If you already paid $3.99 for the pack originally, uh... poo poo?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

That sounds like Flash to me. Is it still called Flash? Was it ever called Flash? Whatever the one is that always has a chance to insta-kill peons; it can also do loads of damage to officers.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Entenzahn posted:

I've bought Dynasty Warriors 7 and the Extreme addon. Now I'm wondering whether to play the Story Mode in the original game or the remix version? On one hand I've learned that you have to regularly remix your game and that sounds kind of annoying. But then I don't know if there'd be any difference to playing the original modes in the base game. Is there anything I'd miss out on either way?

You can't earn trophies for the original game while using Xtreme Legends, but the Xtreme Legends characters cameo in the story mode if you use it. There's no real major differences though.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

C'mon Musha Gundam...

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Do we know her weapon yet?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The idea behind WO as a series, though, is kinda "throw everyone we can think of into the game, more characters, more maps, more everything". So instead, we need Koei to create ANOTHER asian-historical Warriors series, and then put all that content into the next WO game with all the other stuff.

Or anime characters, yes. I would play the poo poo out of "Warrior Orochi: All The Animes", especially if the cell-shading or lack-there-of was on a per-series basis.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Did it FAIL, or did they just set their sales projections way too loving high for a niche product?

I'm going to assume the latter. It seems to be happening a lot lately.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

"Fourth weapons"? I don't get it.

The unique/special weapons from like 3-5 where you had to play the game on Chaos and/or do something specific with a character in a certain stage to get an extremely powerful weapon for them. Generally, you had three normal weapons that were just variously stronger versions of each other, and then the fourth/last weapon was super strong and had an element and/or special properties.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I always wonder, what do these patches even DO? They can't rewrite the entire rendering engine to make it run better; not like that at least.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The PS3 versions have changelogs; 360 patches tend not to. What I really mean is, internally, what they do to increase framerate out of nowhere. Like, from a mechanics point in the engine. What do they tweak, that sorta thing.

Like, the changelog will say, for instance, "fixed frame rate issues in Clusterfuck Land when everything is on fire", well, what did they do? Turn down the fire? Reduce the amount of people? Increase LoD model usage?

I know the answer is probably "all of those", but I like to know, you know?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Empires games are the only ones where you don't have to be the one to get the final hit in on the main enemy officer. I think there's actually an achievement for that, too, in one of them.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Sindai posted:

Whoever thought up the "Protect the Archangel" campaign is worse than Space Hitler. It's everything terrible about protecting field A from guerillas multiplied by a thousand, since you can't risk letting them attack the Archangel for any amount of time.

Pretty sure this is the only campaign where I've gotten a restart due to game over. I don't actually know of a way to complete the second stage in any reasonable amount of time without the ship taking like 50% damage. As soon as I fly off to beat up some jerks, twenty guerillas decide to beeline for the ship from the other direction.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

HJE-Cobra posted:

I recently got DW8 on sale through Steam, and have been playing it as warm-up to getting Hyrule Warriors when that comes out. Is it worth getting Warriors Orochi 3 on another system?

I wouldn't mind having co-op on the TV I could try with people, and Warriors Orochi 3 seems to have a ludicrous amount of characters. Plus the Wii U edition is $10 used or $15 new in Best Buy apparently. BUT now I find that there's also an Ultimate edition of the game coming out soon for PS4 which would have Sophitia from Soul Calibur too!

Is it worth spending money on a Warriors Orochi game, or should I just wait for Hyrule Warriors like I was planning on?

Are you enjoying DW8? WO3 uses DW7 models for the DW characters, and is a little different, plus the story is batshit insane. However, you're basically running around beating up people in crazy what-if scenarios with three dudes you can swap between at will. Also, the PS4 version will likely jam more enemies on screen if you wanna kill an extra ton of dudes at once.

Basically, Hyrule Warriors will likely be more interesting and varied overall, but if you're cool with crazy poo poo and want to run around as Asian dudes and dudettes taking down armies, WO3 is good.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Spinning Robo posted:

Street fighter 4 has been doing this for a while. Its possible to still be using the 2010 edition of the game updated with the expansions.

That doesn't quite work, though. XLs ARE complete games; the content might be sort of limited, but you could just get XLs and play through their stand alone stuff without the originals. There is, to my knowledge, no version of SF4's expansions that will let you get it as a standalone game, AND adds content to the original.

The SF4s are replacement games. You can download expansion packs, but those are just big DLC packs; they're not playable alone. To get versions that work standalone, you have to rebuy the entire game, not just the new parts.

It's basically like the difference between buying Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, and buying Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. S3 and S&K are complete games, separately, but you can put them together and get one big game. SA2B is the base game of SA2, but with expansion content that CAN'T be played standalone.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Bloodly posted:

There's little hope of it both coming here and coming to PC.

*Sigh*

What do you mean? Empires games have been coming here for DW pretty much every time, and DW8XL seemed like it did pretty loving good on PC.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Crowetron posted:

How much extra content would you say DW8XL adds? A friend of mine has DW8 on the 360, so I just borrowed it from him last time I played it, but I'm thinking about picking up a cheap PS3 copy and maybe grabbing Xtreme Legends while I'm at it. But XL looks to still be around 30 bucks or so, so I thought maybe I'd just go back and revisit DW7 for like half that.

What's the general opinion on 8XL?

Do you have a PC that has pretty OK specs? Do you have, or do you plan to soon get, a PS4? Complete is DW8 and DW8XL for cheaper than both separately, and is available both ways.

Other than that, though, XL adds a good amount of content. New characters, new modes, I think it adds new story routes? Don't quote me on that one. Pretty worth it, though.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

At this point, I'm pretty sure Koei is completely fine with localizing this stuff since it's all digital releases, without new voice acting, and the translation doesn't have to be perfect. Probably saves them a ton of cash, and their profits are better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Now I just want there to be a shout-out to that on the boxes.

"FEATURES:

-Kill a billion dudes
-Pursue Lu Bu
-Learn bastardized Chinese history
-Hobo dub
-Butt rock"