Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Azran posted:

Wasn't there a Dynasty Warriors game where you were able to create your own character?

The Empires games usually let you create your own officer. Samurai Warriors had it as part of the main game, along with a kind of bizarre 'training school' where a bunch of minigames determined your initial stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Omp posted:

Could you max out your stats (within starting limits) by just doing really good on all of them?

You could definitely get extremely good level 1 stats, not to mention a significant speed bump.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

randombattle posted:

I don't quite have a good grasp on the strong/weak against thing cause lance horsemen seem to kill everything super great even things they are weak to.

Bladestorm did a really good job in making most of the weapons super fun, actually, especially since high level troops just naturally outdo the strong/weak triangle. I remember Poleswords being an incredible force of destruction against anything not on a horse.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I take it Bladestorm is kind of comparable to the Kessen games?

Never played Kessen, but you're a hotshit mercenary leader in the Hundred Years War, hired by one or the other side at any given moment. Each mission you're put onto a large battlefield with a number of castles or chokepoints, and generally speaking the mission is to take over and hold onto as many as possible and then siege a certain position or kill a certain guy. You do this by running up to a unit and going 'yo guys I'm taking command', ramming it head first into an enemy unit, and holding down the attack button, whereupon everyone breaks into a mass melee around you. Every so often you press a special attack button and your guys become a whirl of death for a few seconds.

It's pretty simple, but fun. There's a weapon triangle you should probably pay attention to, especially late-game, but it's not too hard to find your favorite unit and brute-force the hell out of it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

My officers are absolutely intend on locking me in my own bases whenever possible. :saddowns: God, what I'd give to remove the Lockup strategem.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Is there any way to make the endgame of DW7E a bit more... fun and varied? I get about halfway through conquering the continent and end up inevitably becoming Brave while I go through a constant cycle of defend, invade, defend, invade. Should I be pissing around with other options a bit more, or something?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've totally forgotten what I did to get such a smooth start on my first game. The second one is beating me into the ground.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

"Until the next one!"

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Empires question: As a ruler, is there an easier way to equip my guys with weapons than starting an attack, placing that character in the 'Player Controlled' spot, and using square to reach their equip menu? Does it even matter, unless I want to play as them for a battle or two?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Another question on Empires - I'm starting up as an officer within a kingdom on the 'completely random stuff' map. What's the best way to get a hold of new recruits? I don't have access to the invite command but the AI keeps pushing for invasions, and every other kingdom seems to fill up with recruits really drat quickly.

e: While I'm at it, any custom team I'm not directly part of just get wiped out immediately because they're all lovely level 1s compared to the rest of the map ganging up on them. Is this just a thing where I'm expected to carry levels over or something?

Stelas fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 6, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Chortles posted:

they decloned the movesets so that unlike prior games every character has a unique moveset again.

As far as I'm concerned this change justifies the entire drat game. I hated having everyone just be a carbon copy of each other in 7 and it's really the only thing that marred it for me.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

And yet, as I watched that I was still going 'oh man those combos rule, I totally want this now'. It definitely looks like they've hosed with the pop-in to try to get more guys on screen at once, so hopefully the PS3 version actually runs worth a drat.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I really like Bladestorm but it's slower and more careful. Rather than rocketing through enemies in an action style, you're running around commanding sets of troops to attack. The main thrust of the play is getting the right troops on hand to face off against whatever you're fighting, and switching between troop types as needed to chase after that. There aren't a lot of mechanics - most battles involve running head first into the enemy - but it's just chill and different.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

dj_de posted:

Then in 8 they focused on giving every single person a unique weapon, and people are complaining the story isn't as good!

I'm a little underwhelmed by the whole 'unique weapon!!' thing, honestly. I mean, it's cool that not everyone can access every moveset as far as I can tell, and compatability's been made a little more important. But I was expecting from all the blurbs that people's actual moves would be different, so Cao Cao with a General's Sword would have different attacks to Xiahou Dun with a General's Sword. If they are, I honestly haven't noticed it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Selane posted:

So wait, you're saying you expect them to put in a number of unique movesets equal to the number of weapons times the number of characters? So, like 5000?

Keeshhound posted:

I think he meant that for primary weapons each character should have a unique moveset, beyond just having one EX attack based deviation.

Yeah, this. The stuff I'd read on the run-up to release made it sound like 'unique weapons' were more than just a single EX move and a unique weapon model, or that each character would have their own weapon and then there'd be a small pool of generic ones on top. I'm fairly happy with what we did get because I can just double-equip people with their specific weapon and it basically be the same, but it's not nearly as impressive as the marketing made it out to be.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 24, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

For example, picking Wei Yan for the first time in a story battle may start him off at level 10 or 15. I think some characters I have are in their 20, and I've maybe played 2 story battles with them.

They're autolevelled for story mode. After you've unlocked things, you can drag specific officers (or all of them) back down to 1 for Ambition mode if you really like.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

No effect on musous as far as I know, Wei Yan's musous are better.

Yinping's default musou is total garbage. Her aerial one's pretty solid but good luck getting it anywhere near a combo. Don't know about her alternate.

I've kind of stopped using musous entirely, though, unless I need to escape the telltale 'schwoom' noise of another officer doing one. Rage all the way, and hers is pretty great.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Her alternate is a single-target grab, and it does...middling damage on that target, kind of a waste of several seconds if you're pressed to complete an objective quickly.

If nothing else, I appreciate the almost casual nutshot she adds to the grab.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Silvergun1000 posted:

Does the game ever really get challenging?

It's possible to play the game using just a couple of troop types, but to unlock everything you'll need to use a larger selection of troops - and getting them up to speed can be quite difficult. The game definitely gets easier rather than harder, though, yeah.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Do you ever have any missions where your character choice drastically changes your start position? I'm finally working my way through Story Mode and that's kind of a shame if not.

e: hahahaha Guan Yu just exploded into heaven. Thanks, DW8.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 6, 2013

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Well they're doing it again! Warriors Orochi 3 PS3/PSP data will transfer to WO3 Ultimate PS3/Vita.

That does kind of require we get a US version, though, and potentially also a UK one. On the other hand, given the amount of bonds grinding that game involves, thank christ for that.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Maleketh posted:

I just noticed a change to DW8's Ambition Mode - one of the Great Battles is replaced by a Mock Battle in which you fight your allies. Does anyone know whether this is a result of the patch, or a reward for finishing the Tongquetai?

It's the latter. It'll help immensely when grinding out your Bonds, too.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

As long as the game immediately sends you another politely titled email from Setsuna, I'm good.

Seeing

"Subject: By the way..."
"Body: I AM GUNDAM!!!"

was the perfect introduction to the game as a whole.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Just in case you bought a WiiU and are feeling left out, Nintendo have your back.

:stare:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It can take a while sometimes, especially when it comes to Empires / XL games, but I seriously can't think of any game they didn't eventually bring over. The gap has been getting better and better nowadays.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

RoboJoe posted:

I'm guessing that those black stars will become gold to show that character is more compatible with the weapons at some point, does that happen when the character levels up or when I use the weapon type in battle?

When the character levels up.

quote:

What causes these extra affinities to appear? Is it because he has a 4 compatibility with that type?

Those are weapon affinities. The higher difficulty / later through the game you're on, the more chance of getting them on weapons you pick up. In Ambition mode you can burn weapon materials at the blacksmith to pass these between different weapons, so the idea is to save up a bunch of weapons with affinities you want and stack them all onto one high-powered weapon for your favorite character.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

More-starred weapons will end up with higher attack once you max out their proficiency. Big single star weapons start out hideously bad and end up extremely strong.

The attributes are more likely to have bigger numbers at their start on higher level weapons but it's not a sure thing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Well, poo poo. Standardize your stuff, Koei! :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I would kill for Koei to make an up to date Langrisser. Bonus points if they keep the little mans bumping up against each other then getting blown away with an 'urk!'.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So I'm playing the story modes I never did in DW8 basic, and goddamn I love it's treatment of Wu. "Uh, well, first the important guy died. Then the next important guy died. Then they failed and the next important guy died. Why are you playing this family? They are the worst."

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Zhou Yu too. "Oh poo poo, arrow to the gut! Let me just kill these fifteen officers before I keel over."

e: Lu Su too come to think of it. Truly, the worst family. They don't even get satisfying death scenes.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

For most fun with co-op, don't go around together but instead work to follow different sets of missions. It's hilarious how quickly you can clean up compared to single-player when you don't have to be the lone effective general.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

That's surely going to be patched in later, right? I mean, it's nuts to leave it out. It's the whole point of being on PC.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Don't hold your breath, dude.

It'd be nice to imagine if only because the Big DW8 Chart listed online co-op for all modes, but that was just for PS4 and Vita. Oh well.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tae posted:

So with the weapon changing system, is the only difference between characters is their stats and musou?

Everyone gets 2 unique EX moves with their innate weapon, which are generally much better than standard moves, and 3 musous.

Meanwhile, while working through the Stone Sentinel Maze, Han Dang decided to Storm Rush his way vertically upwards and out the ceiling.

"Please, pay attention to me." "Yeah, no fuckin' poo poo. :stare:"

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The easiest way to get weapons up to 3-stars is to just go through a story mode until the last level, then buy poo poo from the blacksmith, burn through the level, rinse, repeat. That'll do for most story modes. Anything higher and you're probably best doing Ambition mode, since all the levels there are automatically short and to the point and then you can just liquidate all the drops in the Blacksmith.

5th and 6th weapons are specific drops in levels for doing certain things, but half their bonuses are fixed so you're often better off making a custom loadout on a 4-star weapon.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 14, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yes, and his weapon is a boat

The main reason I like 8 over 7 is that I like every character having a distinct weapon. It just feels better, and less like model swaps.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tae posted:

And oh god, these story stages take so long. I'm still only on Shu and I still don't have all the stages. Do you guys finish one faction or do you do the basic story and do the objectives after?

First time around, just do the basic story. By then you'll have stronger weapons which helps immensely in getting some of the objectives done. Second time around you'll often complete many of them by accident just from having better gear. And yeah, story mode is so huge now.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lu Bu's kid is a bit of a let-down. I don't like the feel of sitting around waiting for her weapon to return to her after moves, and she doesn't really seem to have much in the way of area coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Edit: I'd like to open up Quick Learner sooner rather than later.

Look out for a weapon with high status effects - there's a 3-gold-star Podao that is perfect for this with Morass 9 and Venom 9, and others are likely to have similar loadouts - then just use that at every possible opportunity as you go through the other story levels.

Gates are almost exclusively a 'what's happening in the plot at the moment' thing, so they're managed by the flow of events rather than just by killing a Guard Captain.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 15, 2014