Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I found out the other day that the PSP version of Warriors Orochi 2 has the content that was in Musou Orochi Z which never came over here. I was wondering if it's a decent port of the PS2 version, or if there's any weird quirks that would make it not worth picking up. Anyone have any input?

I have not played any of the PS2 Orochi games so I can't comment on how it compares, but for what it's worth, I played the hell out of the PSP Warriors Orochi 2 on my Vita (after being disappointed by DW:NEXT and craving a portable Warriors game) and loved every minute. Some of the menus for spending growth points and stuff like that are a bit clunky, but for all I know that could be the case with the PS2 version as well. The game itself plays impeccably.

As far as I'm concerned Warriors Orochi 2 on PSP is a phenomenal game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

More like phone killer when you throw it on the ground because touchscreen controls are a complete joke.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I gotta say, I'm not loving the visual redesigns for 8 so far. I mean some of them are fine, but others, like Xiahou Dun and Zhang Jiao look pretty bad.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Have any of you Japanese-savvy, import-happy (or Japan-residing) folks gotten to play 7:Empires yet, and have any impressions of it? 7 and 5:Empires are tied for my favorite game in the series, so I'm hoping 7:Empires will blow my mind.

e:

PureRok posted:

Don't listen to this. It's actually the second best of the series after DW 7.

Also don't listen to this :psyduck: guy, DW5 is universally regarded as better than 6.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I'm guessing it would change all the text to Japanese, but I have no idea if there's anything else different about the JP version.

e:f;b

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Static Rook posted:

I'm getting back into the DW series and I have a couple dumb questions. The last DW game I played was 3, so it's been awhile. Should I play through all of vanilla 7 before starting XL? Or should I just pop in 7 to get a save file, then jump to XL and do everything there? I got out of the series before all this expansion stuff started so I don't know how it works exactly. Is the original DW7 content included with XL, or is it just the extra weapons and people, etc?

I don't think anyone else mentioned this so I figured it was worth noting: If you're the type who cares about trophies, know that you can't obtain DW7's trophies while playing XL with an imported save. You can still go back and play your DW7 save by plopping the vanilla DW7 disc in and playing it as normal, but it will be at exactly the state (w/r/t story progression, character progression, unlocks, conquest mode etc.) it was before you imported it into XL. Therefore, as far as trophies are concerned, make sure you get any (or all) trophies you care about in DW7 before you jump into XL.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Chortles posted:

Incidentally, I believe that 7 is also the first to acknowledge that the Xiahou cousins (Dun and Yuan) are Cao Cao's cousins? (Cao Cao's father was Xiahou Song, who was adopted into the Cao clan and became Cao Song.)

I think it was 6 when Xiahou Dun started constantly calling Cao Cao "cousin", but it could even have been 5.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

People in Japan will be playing Dynasty Warriors 8 while I'm just getting into 7:Empires. :negative:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, they do get more health, that's for sure. Beyond that, I'm still not really sure. It SEEMS to make enemies more aggressive, but honestly that seems so random to me in general I don't know if it's just my imagination. One other thing it does for sure is make more arrows fly at you. At higher difficulty levels arrows become the biggest, or maybe only, threat in the game.

In general, the difficulty curve is the worst thing about the DW series. It's almost never smooth, it's always either overwhelmingly favoring you, or overwhelmingly favoring them. Every once in a while you hit a sweet spot where the difficulty is just right, but as soon as you gain a few levels it's over.

I can't agree enough. I hate having to decide between playing on a difficulty level that's way too easy (even if I gimp myself and use only crappy starter weapons) and one that will kick my poo poo in with arrows of death and generic officers that take half an hour to whittle down their health bar, but they kill me in a few hits.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Just finished one of my 5:E playthroughs, turns out if you play with Lu Bu as your ruler, after unifying China, in the victory cutscene he'll say something along the lines of "A land without anyone left to fight is of no interest to me. I leave the rest up to you." to the officers standing by his side. I love little touches like that, even if it's the same basic cutscene for every character, with just a different voice line.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Onion Rings posted:

I've played Pretty much all the DW and SW and orochi games... but I've never played an empires game. Just how different is empires from standard 7 and is it worth an immediate purchase? I like unlocking and levelling all the characters and play most of the games for 60-100 hours and I guess my question is how similar to standard 7 will it be? If it's going to be the same battles with a different command screen before every battle my interest isn't that high. If they redid all the battles at least somewhat and move sets and whatnot I'd be all aboard.

It might be best to wait until it actually comes out in English so you can get some concrete opinions from this thread, a lot of stuff at this point will be based on the released materials. I'm also going by some assumptions based on previous Empires games, which may not turn out to be true. And I should mention that my two favorite DW games are DW7 and DW5:Empires, so I'm heavily biased and massively hyped.

That being said, whether the battles have been "redone" isn't really a question that makes sense, because the battle aren't the same, except for having the same battle map. The battle of (for example) Xia Pi won't necessarily feature a Cao Cao/Liu Bei alliance versus Lu Bu executing a flood attack. It will be whichever force holds Xia Pi defending against whichever force decides to invade, potentially utilizing a flood attack stratagem (or a fire attack, or something else entirely? How about peasant volunteers, bandits, armor troops, juggernauts? Though I don't know if all of these are available stratagems in the game, they have been in earlier Empires games), either side could have allies or reinforcements from their adjacent territories (which, if they include this stratagem from previous games, could be blockaded from arriving). You won't be following the ROTK story, you'll be forging your own, which also means the cutscenes will be more "generic". That is, you shouldn't expect to see Cao Cao ordering Lu Bu's execution, or Zhao Yun rescuing an infant Liu Shan, but you might see your character grieving the death of his sworn brother, saying a few words to his troops before battle, or being appointed Emperor.

The battles themselves will largely revolve around capturing bases to extend your supply lines to the enemy main camp, in order to capture it (usually by beating up the enemy commander). If you're the commander of the force (you could also be a simple officer, under the command of a superior) you'll be able to order the other officers on your side where to attack and defend, to follow another officer or yourself or try to hunt down specific enemy officers. The website also lists "mission battles" which will apparently have other objectives like scouting or assassination. Previous games have also featured historical battles, if you start the game in the appropriate era, and conditions permit. I don't know if this feature is making a return, but examples would be the Yellow Turban Rebellion or Hu Lao Gate.

One of the neat things is how much you can break history. Most scenarios will start with forces laid out in a way that are consistent with ROTK, but from there it could go anywhere. Want to play as Zhang Jiao and unite the land under the way of peace? I did just that in 5:Empires. Want to play as Zhao Yun and rebel against Liu Bei to form your own kingdom? Doesn't make much sense in the context of ROTK, but apparently now you can. Or you can just pick an unoccupied province and make your own little force of custom and/or unaligned officers.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

"Can anyone provide me with a decent soft drink!?"

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I think I'll have to disable downloaded officers for my next game. If nothing else, so New Officer will stop asking to join me.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The Doomhammer posted:

Yeah, as a ruler or Marshall you can choose who you fight as in battles. On the screen where your choosing who's in your army for a battle, press x on your ruler and you'll be able to replace 'em with someone else.

I can't believe I played my entire first game without knowing this. Somehow my brain just assumed that doing that would skip selecting officers and just send me off to fight the battle alone. :haw:

On an unrelated note, I'm digging the boomerang, it's a welcome change of EX weapon for Zhu Rong since I'm not fond of the throwing knives.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Bloodbath posted:

Aw I completed all 4 Story Modes on DW7 :( So good though, really enjoyed it. :D

Does anyone find DW7 Empires a little dull? I'm trying to work out the best way to play. I'm sort of just doing skirmishes and battles without really caring what's going on. The territories change hands and so forth, but the same enemies return 2-3 times per battle. Can any one recommend a 'fun' way of playing to get a bit more out of it? I think I just miss the romanticized elements of the main story mode of DW, but perhaps I need to invest more into Empires to get the benefits. I wish there were 'events' though, rather than just battle after battle.

I'm wondering if I'll be better off trying the Conquest mode of DW7, perhaps it's more immersive than Empires.

I'm pretty happy with DW7:Empires still, have done three playthroughs so far, and am on the fourth. I played the hell out of DW5:Empires though, so I knew what I was getting into. I really like the feeling of forging your own path through the world, and while the little event cutscenes don't rival DW7's storytelling in any way, I still like them, and especially the ability to do everything with my CAW characters. I'm currently doing a Gathering Of Heroes with my first evil character, and it's been a seesaw of getting betrayed and taking revenge. It's probably best to employ nothing but evil-fame subordinates when you're an evil ruler, but I'll be damned if I didn't get motivated to seek revenge after Cao Ren talked Diao Chan and her friends into snatching one of my territories and joining him.

Conquest mode in 7 is pretty dull honestly. The closest you'll find to story in Conquest mode is the legendary stages for each character, which are split up between "what-if" scenarios and historical events that didn't make the story, but they have no cutscenes. They're a bit like watered down DW7:XL stages, except you have to grind your way through a hex-grid of a bunch of pointless random stages with no context and randomized forces, in order to reach the different characters' legendary battles.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Stelas posted:

Another question on Empires - I'm starting up as an officer within a kingdom on the 'completely random stuff' map. What's the best way to get a hold of new recruits? I don't have access to the invite command but the AI keeps pushing for invasions, and every other kingdom seems to fill up with recruits really drat quickly.

e: While I'm at it, any custom team I'm not directly part of just get wiped out immediately because they're all lovely level 1s compared to the rest of the map ganging up on them. Is this just a thing where I'm expected to carry levels over or something?

Officers unfortunately don't get much in the way of options for recruiting, only rulers do. As for the lovely level 1 CAWs, if KOEI ever gets off their asses and releases the 1.03 patch that's currently only out in Japan, I hear there'll be an option to adjust the starting fame level for CAWs.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The GIG posted:

Get Warriors Orochi 2 instead.

I must second this. The PSP version of Orochi 2 is very solid and has a ton of game for you to chew through. I'll never forgive NEXT for having the main enemy officer in every single level be fought via the stupid touch screen duel. Every. Single. Time.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Can't wait to have to use the little touchpad on the Ps4 controller for some stupid minigame every five minutes.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Xeroma posted:

:siren:DO NOT BUY THE 360 VERSION OF DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 :siren:

I don't know what the hell happened, but apparently the folks TK outsourced the 360 port of DW8 to 360 forgot to actually make the drat thing playable. I don't think I've ever seen this much slowdown in any game in the series. Ridiculous.

Huh. At the exact same time as I was picking up my PS3 copy, a guy at the other register was getting the 360 version. I need to go back in time and warn him.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

On PS3 I managed to get some pretty intense slowdown, I think it was at Chi Bi on the ships in the middle of like three enemy officers, a handful of friendlies, and a ton of mooks.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I really need to get back to 8, but 7 is still the better game.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I hope they bring back officer relocation from 5:E in some way in 8:E. On one hand it was a pain to have to shuffle people around, but on the other, you have practically zero reason to ever play as anything but your main character in 7:E. I miss having to panic defend a fringe territory with a generic or some guy I never bothered to level up much. Maybe they could let you bundle your officers together in groups and move them around like that to minimize tedium, without completely removing the strategic considerations by having every officer be omnipresent throughout all or china like in 7:E.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I miss how it actually mattered in 5:Empires where your officers were stationed. In 7:E there's no incentive to not just play your main character and have all your favorite buddies tagging along in every battle, back in 5 I had to actually fight with whatever guys were stationed in the province I was defending or attacking from. Sure the menus for moving officers were a pain, but if they just implemented a sort of drag-and-drop system it would be a breeze even with a controller.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The GIG posted:

KT Europe's twitter mentioned that the patch for the voice errors is dropping soon and I guess that it includes "additional updates" so I hope they prove me wrong about not releasing the rest of the QoL features.

I'm not 100% up to speed on what QoL features Japan has gotten, but here's the post from KOEI's facebook page:

quote:

Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires Patch ver 1.01 is available now for the PS4, PS3 and Xbox One (a patch for the Steam version is scheduled to come in April).
* The following functionality has been added:
・Settings for Ways of Life and Favorite Stratagems in "Custom Officers"
・The ability to download custom units in "Custom Units"
* The following bugs have been fixed:
・Strategems sometimes triggered after officers had been defeated
・Raids could not be played online
・Performing certain steps on the officer selection screen in Free Mode caused the game to crash
・The game crashed during certain Rage Attacks
・Performing certain steps when making a custom scenario caused certain officer data, such as their gender or Way of Life, to become incorrect
・Characters in the line break position were not displayed in custom scenario descriptions
・In Empire Mode, the game would crash after 48 years had passed
・Starting Empire Mode with a custom unit that had configured Ways of Life caused a corrupted version of Xiahou Dun's character model to appear on the Strategy Screen
・Virtue levels configured by Way of Life settings were not properly reflected in Empire Mode
・On the Marching Officer Selection Screen, trying to replace players 1 and 2 after already having chosen marching officers caused the game to crash
・Installing the downloadable content "Japanese Voice Option for DW8XL" for DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: Xtreme Legends caused the wrong voice lines to play for characters in DYNASTY WARRIORS 8 Empires (This applies to PS4 and PS3 versions only.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

So I uh, tried out the Free Alliances version of 8:E on PS4 and the regular sounds and audio are playing through my speakers, but the character voices are playing through my controller. Is this normal, and can I disable this?