Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I've played DW7, but none of the Samurai Warriors games. How lost would I be if I gave Orochi 3 a shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chachi posted:

If they sell out like this I would honestly never buy another thing they made ever. So loving sick of zombies in everything.

Wait, you're bitching about this franchise selling out? Seriously?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Regarding Zhang He, he may have been a historical badass, but that didn't really come through in the Romance of Three Kingdoms. There, he was a narcissistic, overconfident fuckup who kept getting lured into Shu's traps (a common occurrence for Wei, but Zhang He was their go-to guy for it). Dynasty Warriors actually made him quite a bit more competent and dangerous, if a hell of a lot fruitier. I actually like the guy in the games - he fits the role of 'fabulous prettyboy narcissist' without being either useless or a particularly bad person. Plus, one of his musous is the motherfuckin' Moonlight Butterfly. :getin:

Wouldn't mind a slight toning-down, but I hope they do keep those elements without making him either a raging rear end in a top hat or a total joke.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

How's Kens Rage 2? Any good buzz from the jpn version?

YEssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, astérix est là!

Would Cacofonix be the only one with a friendly-fire mechanic, then?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jibo posted:

I wasn't sure that Law would be the Supernova that I wanted to be fleshed out into a full character but they've developed him well and he's an enjoyable enough character with an interesting power. Plus he has his own :smug: den den mushi / transponder snail.

The exciting thing is that Law and Punk Hazard being in means that the game is going right up to where the story is right now. Assuming they clean up the gameplay itself, I think a new OPPW game every year or two with a "here's the new arc, and we've fleshed out some of the older stuff and added more characters" type deal would be pretty awesome.

Now all I want is a version on the Xbox...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of Mamiya, the fact that the game took a character who, in the original manga, served as an object example of the tragedy and futility of women trying to fight by screwing up everything she did and constantly getting bailed out by a big strong man, and turned her into death on two legs never fails to give me a warm fuzzy glow.

Seriousvly, even by the standards of '80s manga, North Star was reactionary as gently caress.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
@Shura: I'm another one who didn't mind it too much, mostly because I had a relatively low opinion of what came before. Stuff like the Hokuto brothers being badass because of nature rather than nurture had been touched upon as early as the Golan arc, nonsensical plot developments had been a staple of the series from the beginning ('Yuria's dead oh no wait she isn't' is the most famous, but hardly the first), and whilst Ken/Rin was creepy, the text at least seemed to acknowledge that it was creepy and would lead nowhere good, which is a lot more than I can say for the rest of the series's treatment of women (see also, everything about Mamiya).

In return, we got a pleasingly uncomplicated punchfest where Kenshiro was pushed to his limits (something that happens frustratingly infrequently in the story) in a series of spectacular battles, with the one against Han being a particular standout. That, and the 'oh, the villain was a good guy after all' stuff didn't get too grating compared to what had come before - 'X ridiculously powerful martial art drives you murderously insane' is a lot better than the stuff with Juda and Thouzer.

I'll agree that there was a decline in quality in the epilogue chapters that followed Shura, as Ken ran out of opponents who could give him a meaningful fight and the series's quasi-fascist elements rose uncomfortably close to the surface (see also, the rebellion against the totally-not-Jewish capitalist who had sapped the mighty soldiers of their warrior spirit), but at least that was a relatively short segment of the story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ugh, I hated that thing and I hated that it was basically necessary to clear that insane final mission in DW Gundam 3.

Eh, Unicorn Gundam with Ace Killer, Ace Pilot, and Serene Mind worked pretty well. :getin:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think I used Knight Gundam and the Stone Plate or whatever it was. I probably should have used Unicorn, considering its SP move was basically "strap chainsaws to the front of your MS and go hog wild".

Yeah, even with its Slate upgrade, the Knight Gundam is solid, but not jaw-droppingly amazing. The Unicorn's aerial SP attack (with the big fuckoff gatlings) is pretty potent as well, and eats Mobile Armours alive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Uznare posted:

So, I just got DW7:Empires as my first game in the series, what would be the best way to play the game? Seeing as it only has a conquest mode and seemingly no plot.

Conquer poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jibo posted:

Zhang Jiao was definitely awesome in DW7 and he almost sounds like Dr. Orpheus so I just imagine him leading the YTR.

I just loved how he speeded up near the end of every sentence. "This is AMIRACLEOFTHEHEAVENS!"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been playing DW8. Good to see Zhang Liao is still a glorious wrecking ball.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, making Jiang Wei the main villain of the Jin arc was one of the better storytelling decisions of DW from 7 onwards. It makes it clearer that you're supposed to dislike him and his buddies (particularly once he teams up with Zhong Hui and gets Deng Ai killed). I kind of appreciated having poor Liu Shan as the only sane man, too - his surrender to Wei/Jin being treated as a defining act of heroism felt like a sort of abstract revenge against Shu's baby-dunking BENEVOLENCE.

Besides, Wei may not have all the cool characters, but it certainly has most of them. Case in point: Zhang Liao.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On Shuchat, as near as I can tell, each faction as interpreted by Dynasty Warriors tries to operate according to an ideal. Wei prioritises the kingdom through ruthless utilitarianism and the fetishism of merit. Wu prioritises the family and personal loyalty, with all of its officers serving as extensions of the Sun clan. Shu's 'benevolence', meanwhile, prioritises the people - they're characterised through mission objectives, camp dialogue, and so on as looking out for the little guy, the peasants trampled underfoot by the wars of the Later Han. All three eventually betray these ideals - Wei collapses into decadence and incompetence, Wu embarks on a marathon backstab-a-thon, and whilst Shu's crimes against its people are hard to list in their entirety, slaughtering thousands of them and ruining their country through their pointless grudgematch with Wei is probably a good place to start. Jin, meanwhile (again, as interpreted by Dynasty Warriors) renounces all these ideals in favour of straightforward, pragmatic ambition, and through this accomplishes them all far better than the other factions ever could. Their nation is mighty enough and sufficiently filled with talent to conquer China, the Sima clan is a strong, loving family (in their own affectionately bitchy sort of way), and they make life better for their citizens in a way Shu's hollow promises never could, which is why Liu Shan surrenders to them.

drat, that's a lot of words about the story and themes of a series about anime Chinese dudes murderin' each other with gatling guns and drill-lances.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Belzac posted:

I feel like we're looking at different characters when you guys talk about Ba. He kills Guo Hai in cold blood just to stay alive a little longer. He's one of the main reasons Shu is so easy to hate in the Jin campaign of 7.

Wasn't that Jiang Wei bailing him out with an arrow in the back? As I recall, Ba was just trying not to get gatling-gunned to death in that fight (without much success, I might add).

Incidentally, haven't tried Jin yet. Are Guo Huai, Deng Ai, and Zhong Hui still as stupidly fun to play as?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

5er posted:

I considered that but gloves is grabby as hell. Voldo isn't. If Zangeif were somehow possible to get in the game, Gloves would be all him.

In Story Mode, if you pick 'Other,' the Yellow Turban campaign should be there, and Zhang Jiao is the only guy you run through that with.

I'm curious what's necessary to get Meng Huo. I have about three 'Other' stages that are grayed out that I can't see what they are.

Haven't tried it yet, but I suspect the Shu hypothetical route gets you him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

5er posted:

I figured. I have only accidentally opened up a couple hypothetical routes. The one I tried on purpose but gave up on, was in Wei, trying to catch Tao Qian before he escapes. The lovely horses you get in Story Mode get hung up sometimes if you even so much as bump one mook, and not even efficiently murdering gate guards and hopping back on the horse, ignoring rewards was getting me to that fucker fast enough.

I hope that, after I unlock Red Hare, I can just open the hypothetical route in Free Mode. I hope I'm not obligated to open it in Story Mode.

Remember, you can use Rage Mode to refill your Musou gauge if you want to speed your horse up a bit. Not sure whether it also slows down the NPCs on the map, because I think I used it to help catch up with him. That was playing Cao Ren, who's the most mobile of your three options for that stage thanks to his exceptionally useful Charge and Rage attacks (the former of which is an excellent lead-in to a Storm Rush if you time it right and have the right sort of weapon).

Definitely the trickiest star requirement I've done so far, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

5er posted:

Duly noted. I loving hate his weapon though. I can live without his EX, and just put on something that has plenty of forward mobility.

It's his weapon, though, that gives you his fantastic running charge, which is basically instant doom against anyone your weapon has a type advantage over. Kind of important for the lightning-fast kills you need in that stage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Been playing Shu, and holy poo poo is Xu Shu amazing. His moveset looks fantastic and plays fantastically (and, thankfully, isn't a huge Assassin's Creed ripoff). Particular props go to his basic Musou, which does great damage, has a great range, and fills up ninety per cent of your Rage gauge per pop (which is good because he's also got a pretty impressive 'gently caress you and your five hundred friends' Rampage).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Holy hell, the pathfinding for the bridgelayer in 'Ambush at Chang'an' is horrifyingly bad. I got it to do its thing in time to murder Xiahou Mao and grab the star after a few tries, but it really wasn't easy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stelas posted:

Do you ever have any missions where your character choice drastically changes your start position? I'm finally working my way through Story Mode and that's kind of a shame if not.

e: hahahaha Guan Yu just exploded into heaven. Thanks, DW8.

I think that happens in Shu's version of the Battle of Yiling. Zhao Yun is bailing out Liu Bei in the north, whilst Zhang Bao and Guan Xing are chewing through the main Wu forces and having homoerotic subtext with each other in the south.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chortles posted:

You mean that was mere subtext? :stonklol:

Well, in that they weren't openly confessing their love to each other and making out in the middle of the battlefield, so... kinda.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Played through the Jin campaign, and I guess I know how they justified a Hypothetical Route for the winning side, now. Dang, their Historical is actually kinda dark :stare:. In fact, I'd say the other three kingdoms' Historicals are significantly more cheerful, and they mostly serve to set up their inevitable demise at the hands of either Wei/Jin or themselves.

On the other hand, their Hypothetical has some very amusing bits. Particularly when Zhong Hui tries to lead a coup and Yi and Chunhua are all "HahahahaNOPE.".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chortles posted:

"Zhao Yun" x "Diaochan" is a canonical pairing

Wait, what? If you're not just talking about Ravages, where in ROTK is that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chortles posted:

Whaaaaa...? No, it's Ravages-specific: "Diaochan" was a two-time cover identity for the eunuch Xiao Meng, but Liaoyuan Huo -- alias "Zhao Yun" -- ended up coming out to him by warning Gan Ning off of him during a battle. Problem was, Meng used the distraction to try and chuck Gan Ning off of a cliff, but that one left Gan Ning clinging to a cliff face while Huo held onto him for dear life... but one possible translation of the term he used at Xiao Meng in telling him not to let go was wife... realizing that Huo couldn't support their weight, and contented with knowing Huo's feelings for him, Meng kissed him goodbye and kicked Huo upward so that he could be pulled up while Meng plunged to his seeming death. (The "Xiao" here is just "Little/Younger", not a surname.)

The bit about the novel was simply supposed to be that the author of Ravages took a throwaway line about Liu Bei's appearance and gave it a shitload of meaning by having Yuan Shu twice -- the other time is earlier -- talk high and mighty about his reach but then fail to grasp the right armrest of his throne, which an earlier chapter reveals is actually oversized, while you have Liu Bei here seemingly effortlessly doing so; it's my mistake to have been sticking them on the same line and thus appearing to conflate the two.

Ah, misread the sentence. I was aware of the stuff you mentioned in Ravages, but thought you were saying 'yep, that has its origin elsewhere as well'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Suben posted:

Really sucks that as a 360 owner I'm getting screwed over once more not only on 8XL but on SW2HD (which sucks since SW2 is my favorite Warriors game). :sigh:

Well, we're all grabbing PS4s when we finally make the transition to next-generation consoles, right? Won't ease the hurting now, but it should help for future Warriors stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Totally jonesin' for new DWG. Hope it's on the Xbox like the other ones.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tooooooo bad posted:

Missing that cel shading. Hope they still do that chain explosion thing with enemies. That was a lot of fun in Gundam 3.

e: more screenshots here: http://gematsu.com/2013/09/first-look-at-shin-gundam-musou

See those Zeta Gundam screenshots? Space stages are back, muchachos. :getin:

Also hoping for chain explosions. That was one of the things that put DWG above and beyond for pure catharsis.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chortles posted:

Probably a successful breakout at Xiapi, or maybe (just maybe) him actually coming out on top during the Yan Province campaign?

I can't imagine there being much campaign after Xiapi, so I figure the route has to split before then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

How was Pirate Warriors 2? I remember being really dissapointed that PW1 was just a bunch of QTEs and platforming segments and strayed from the Warriors formula a little bit too much, and even my incredible love for One Piece couldnt overcome the averageness of it.

Haven't played it myself, but PW2 has received rave reviews from this thread.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Suben posted:

I just want some more Victory stuff and anything from 0080 but they're not that popular over there so I may as well just be happy with what's already there.

True. Sucks that I don't see the Gottrlattan on that roster any more. Fun little machine. The Victory-1 looks like it would fit well with the new game mechanics, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The SB anime had a Hiroyuki Sawano soundtrack. That gives it some points.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Nothing for the 360, then? Aww, crap.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

yourafagpleasedie posted:

I wouldn't want another musou type game on xbox anyways after that AWFUL loving slowdown port that was dynasty warriors 8.

Oh, quit being melodramatic. It was perfectly playable, and a big step up from having no access to the game whatsoever.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

UberJumper posted:

Why does does that Wu guy use a canoe as a weapon :psyduck:.

Why wouldn't he?

Slightly more serious answer - Huang Gai was known as a skilled naval commander, and led the legendary fire attack at Chibi. Thus, the game designers chose to represent this by having him murder dudes with a boat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was planning on getting a PS4 sometime this year. Apart from DW8, what other Warriors games exist/are upcoming for it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, I'm still hoping for a PS4 DWG game. Still mad I missed out on Reborn.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Big Zam is easy prey. Just stay high and use your air attacks on it. Also remember that they have giant hitboxes, so area attacks are particularly good against them. The Unicorn's air SP in particular is murder against Mobile Armours.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wasn't Nobunaga a fairly extravagant war criminal even by medieval Japanese standards? The Siege of Mount Hiei, for instance, was one of the most notorious incidents of the Sengoku era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, what's upcoming in Warriors stuff, goons?