Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Boogalo posted:

Is the multiplayer local only? Online co-op would be sweet.
Local only.

Also, DAILY DEAL on Steam for $25 today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, keyboard controls work well. This isn't exactly a precision platformer that requires analog movement speeds or more than 8 degrees of movement. I've been using keyboard to play emulated PS2 DW. I just remap the main attack buttons to the numpad to mimic the PS2 layout.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The guy also has videos that explain more in the description (including weapon setup), and seeing is kind of believing.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1fw1cNGELvqRYrHJ1EvMDLrAqBo4rkbx

Apparently DW8XL drastically changes things up though
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/730572-dynasty-warriors-8-xtreme-legends-complete-edition/68914970
Some dude somewhere in the 40s finally got a straight answer as to why - cyclone was changed so that it doesn't break guard, but to deal damage to guard.

The thing with the tier lists (plural, since these have a long history) drawn up in GameFAQs is that it presupposes that one is playing near perfectly with maxed weapons and stats and abusing the one or two moves with the weapon that takes advantage of said setup - this probably isn't the case for the vast majority of players, who will not have maxed weapons/stats, want to use more than one move, and not playing on the hardest difficulty.

The "theory" behind those lists is pretty much drawn up in section 8 of this guide from DW5
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/925558-dynasty-warriors-5/faqs/41300

So I'll happily enjoy boat-surfing over here in my corner.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 22, 2014

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Also, this game doesn't have AA built in it seems

There's instructions here on how to force it if you have a Nvida card
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_8:_Xtreme_Legends

Also can enable SSAO, which I did. The game isn't clearly built for it though - some scenes end up with completely black character faces.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Chocobo posted:

So I'm playing Ambition on the PC port and I finally got the duel with Lu Bu and co., killed them all... just to find out that I capped out 500/500 half way through the fight and the only notable character I actually got was Dong Zhou. gently caress.
Ones you don't pickup in a duel show up as leaders scattered randomly through the other battles, so you'll run into them again eventually.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

gyrobot posted:

Also which weapons actually proc Cyclone? General's sword did nothing to chip Lu Bu's guard.
It's procced on charge attacks like lots of the other elemental stuff. It's also mislabeled, it doesn't break guard. It damages through guard (and only through guard). This lets attacks that hit alot do absurd damage - eg/ the throwing knives (Wang Yuanji) C6 basically one shot anyone guarding.

Apparently this is a change from base DW8 (where it did break guard but did no damage) which renders the tier list linked a page back obsolete.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

-Dethstryk- posted:

I decided to complete everything on the story mode section of DW8XL because I didn't realize there was so much content in there.

Just wrapped up Jin's section. I wasn't sure what those one-off stages were at the bottom, but boy did they end well.

THIS IS THE PERFECT MEAT BUN
I believe all the final XL stages for each faction are like that (I've only done Jin and Wei).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah I have no idea why the wallpapers are the most expensive DLC. The other stuff at least looks reasonable for the most part.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Is anyone else completely stagger immune in 8 Empires? I know the tutorial popup says if you have more defensive bases you get more resistance (with X? having immunity), but I'm seemingly immune all the time.

It makes things way too easy if I never get interrupted.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

Is anyone else completely stagger immune in 8 Empires? I know the tutorial popup says if you have more defensive bases you get more resistance (with X? having immunity), but I'm seemingly immune all the time.

Lotish posted:

I've definitely been staggered, though one of the first things I got was the armor to reduce stagger from arrows.
I did some testing in Free Mode on this stagger/flinching/being interrupted. Level difference and difficulty seems to the variables that affect this.

Hard, Me 55, Enemy 55
Nothing flinches me, regular peons, officer attack strings, officer charge attacks, mosous, nothing. The only thing that actually moves your character are knockup charge attacks/mosous or grabs.

Hard, Me 55, Enemy 55
Most officer attack strings still do not cause flinches, but some do (???). Seems all charge attacks and mosous now cause flinches.

Hard, Me 1, Enemy 99
Didn't live long, but seems all officer attacks cause flinches.

Easy, Me 1, Enemy 99
Nothing flinches, need grab moves or knockups again.

Chaos, Me 55, Enemy 55
Didn't live long, but seems all officer attacks cause flinches.

This is an rear end-tarded implementation of...I don't even know what they're going for. But it makes the game way too easy on anything not Chaos. And even on Chaos, it's not exactly fun, since as traditional in these games, you go all offensive or go home.

TLDR: On any non-Chaos difficulty, you will not get flinched/staggered unless the enemy considerably out-levels you. Koei is retarded.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 3, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Bloodly posted:

...What character/moveset are you? I remember something about at least one weapon granting immunity.

I say this mostly because I've not encountered any 'no flinch', and I'm on Normal.
I did those tests with a CAW with Guan Yu's. Also tried out some other characters randomly, but don't remember on which.

EDIT: Just repeated a Hard 55/55 with Xiaoqiao. Just stood in front of Dong Zhuo and ate his normal attacks as a statue (excepting his grab mosou that he killed me with).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 3, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Largepotato posted:

Zhu Ran kept using Diaochan & Xiaoqiao. :negative:
Oh geez. I stopped using any officers that had a kill your own units strategy when I noticed that they love to spam it. And to boot it murders your entire army and not just murder their own unit.

We need a Koei version of :dice:

lurksion fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 5, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
These two lists seem really helpful for sorting out how to get a specific Way of Life

First, the WOL list and the requirements (not yet complete by a quick read of the thread, but its getting updates):
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/dynasty-warriors-8-empires/260561-way-life-list.html

Then how to get said requirements (ingame as well, but a pain in the rear end trip through several menus)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bTWF3VL8XCfsW77xFtiSKibD0goN-LE5p28nDHx9eNc

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

It makes things way too easy if I never get interrupted.

lurksion posted:

I did some testing in Free Mode on this stagger/flinching/being interrupted. Level difference and difficulty seems to the variables that affect this.
TLDR: On any non-Chaos difficulty, you will not get flinched/staggered unless the enemy considerably out-levels you. Koei is retarded.
This was and still is driving me crazy - is no one else encountering this? I pulled out CheatEngine and OBS and did some more testing and recorded it.

Here's a Free Mode, Hard, Level 55/55, no equipped items, ending up with a defense stat of 616:
https://gfycat.com/MildBleakGazelle
Just sitting there and taking that no problem. I then reduced my defense to 401 (this was the breakpoint) and suddenly:
https://gfycat.com/EducatedSickDachshund
Also at some point between 401 and 616, some of the charge attacks (such as the knockup that does nothing in the first video) start having an effect. This also is affected by attack/defense buffs on the enemy and you, as well as the weapon triangle - advantage or even would need even lower defense to be knocked around.

So if I'm not being flinched/interrupted by attacks, I can get off any attack string of my choice at any time, and run away from any dangerous attack at will.

Is no one else seeing this?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 7, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

I somehow recruited the Power Rangers when I was going through Empire mode. Then I think I got a narrow victory because I decided to take them with me on a mission and like 4 of them left to join another kingdom. gently caress them.
Narrow victories are when you're defending a province and the enemy captures the secondary objective. Then they (randomly?) capture some of your dudes and can recruit/release/execute, and also you take province damage.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

This was and still is driving me crazy - is no one else encountering this? I pulled out CheatEngine and OBS and did some more testing and recorded it.

Here's a Free Mode, Hard, Level 55/55, no equipped items, ending up with a defense stat of 616:
Just sitting there and taking that no problem. I then reduced my defense to 401 (this was the breakpoint) and suddenly:
Also at some point between 401 and 616, some of the charge attacks (such as the knockup that does nothing in the first video) start having an effect. This also is affected by attack/defense buffs on the enemy and you, as well as the weapon triangle - advantage or even would need even lower defense to be knocked around.

So if I'm not being flinched/interrupted by attacks, I can get off any attack string of my choice at any time, and run away from any dangerous attack at will.

Is no one else seeing this?
:spergin:

I went and did something about this. This a cheatengine table that makes you always vulnerable to flinch/stun/knockbacks in DW8E
http://pastebin.com/D4AV4NGL

I have no idea why I spent an evening stepping through compiled assembly code to do this instead of something productive.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 15, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Kly posted:

Is there a way to set a way of life on a CAW without playing as them and finishing a whole game?
If you have a CAW that already has a WOL you want, you can also copy them and edit the copy. They'll keep the WOL.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

I know I keep sperging about knockbacks and flinch in DW8E, but it really really makes a difference in difficulty. Currently doing a chaos playthrough with the only bonus points being spent on +10 levels (so no items/weapons/etc brought in).

Past the very early game wall of poo poo weapons (so past the first 20 turns or so to grind out a reasonable weapon), things ended up moving at an good difficulty for me, where I would actually have to play carefully to try to minimize dying, but even so still dying once or twice per battle due to being caught out in an animation and juggled. This was really fun for 100 turns or so.

Now it's approximately turn 120 and in the last few turns I've passed the tipping point where my defense is high enough that I almost never get flinched. This is at ~level 55 with 848 HP / 967 Defense (with Phoenix Wing/Chimera Shell equipped). Computer officers levels spread is between level 30 to the low 40s.

Now I can just not give a poo poo, dive into a crowd, pull off whatever move I want, and kill or knock everyone back. So what if I lost half my HP doing that? Everything is now dead or knocked down, and I can just mop up the remnants. Where before, doing that was incredibly dangerous because you'd not kill anything and still lose half your HP, or just be straight juggled to death.

If I were playing on Hard, I get to this point at around turn 20-30 with something like 500-600 defense. On Normal, this happens almost immediately.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I think the higher death counts are almost exclusively the result of better hardware letting more mans onto the screen at once without them getting any smarter.
Speaking of letting more dudes on the screen, has anyone noticed PC DW8E seems to have a lot more unit pop than DW8XLCE (which had almost none)?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

I got Empires 8 from Gamefly and having never played one of these before holy gently caress am I lost. Any tips for someone just starting out who wants to enjoy slicing and dicing hordes of enemies?
Are you unfamiliar with DW in general or just the Empires version?

Either way, the game probably isn't as complicated as it looks.

In battles, you want to murder a line of bases to their main base, and prevent the same from happening to you.
* You can use "strategems" to place towers that absolutely murder bases as well - watch out for the AI doing this and blitzing down a lane. There are also other ones that do a variety of stuff like heal/buff/special attack/etc.
* If you're defending, you actually need to defend two bases - the primary one (lose = lose province) and secondary (lose = take province damage, 4 province damage loses the province), so also watch out for that. You can check that stuff in the pause menu.
* Also in the pause menu - troop strength is basically revives where 2K troops are one revive. Killing enemy generals on their second or later lives with musou attacks can result in them dropping weapons (you want weapons)

In the strategy mode, what you can do is determined by your rank and the other officers that are with you (so if you have Cao Cao in your band of dudes, you can "Scout").
* Don't worry too much about resources, there really isn't any semblance of an "economy" here.
* Just recruit dudes (not too many, they do cost gold per turn though), make them happy, marry one, brother up another two
* Invade/raid/join nearby battles/quest for the murder funtimes. Note that non-quest battles temporarily reduces your stats, and you need to not battle to regain them (or use a recuperate for the turn).
* Quests and battles give you Merits (aka XP) for leveling up your stats. If you're in a kingdom, you can also chose to fulfil some goals evrey 6 months for more XP. I think the AI gets XP at a near fixed schedule, and you probably will outlevel and outstat them quite easily (leading to my continuous sperging out about difficulty)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 22, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The regular staff (Zhou Yu's) is really good.

C1, who cares
Quick EX on C2 that is a :allears: pretty fast grab :allears: to bust through those blockers that results in a massive AOE
C3 chain moves you really freaking far, which is great for busting through crowds
C4 standard clear out, only forward direction, not great
C5 EX results in the same massive AOE as C2. I often combo C2EX and C4EX right after each other. Everyone dies in a hail of fire.
C6 respectable forward AOE, nothing exciting

But that C2.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

I think you can only slander as a vagabond unit.
I think you can also do it if there's an officer with slander in your kingdom?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did they ever end up patching the DW8 PC port to be less of a hackjob? I'm guessing not.

Largepotato posted:

They released a couple patches back in April, but I never got around to trying them.

Patch notes from April - I actually haven't played on the patch either.

Noticed these in the notes:

quote:

・Conditions for hit stun when taking damage
・Knock-back distance when taking damage

So it looks like my :spergin: about knockback and hit-stun from way back might be fixed!

lurksion posted:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Takoluka posted:

You don't really know what to abuse when you first start the game. Taishi Ci is really good, but with timing, Mitsuhide's R1 can kill anything at nearly any level. They nerfed him and Ginchiyo's R1s in WO2, because they were unreasonably good. I think they lowered Taishi Ci's damage output on his R1 but kept the burn effect, as well as the knockback.
Diao Chan's R1 slide attack in WO1 was probably the most absurd of them all. No windup or recovery at all, invincibility frames for the entire attack duration, and multiple hits that trigger elemental/vorpal attacks.

Competently nerfed to hell in WO2 with a long windup.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
If you want a laugh, go into the character creator and take a look at the textures on most of the armors. That's PS2-level of muddy. I really have no idea how they manage to make their game 8GB in size.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

Got SW4-II on the Vita and it's great. What's the best way to grind tomes, though? Is there a 4th weapon guide already?
One up on steam it looks like
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=527072619

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

Question about SW4-II: in Koshosho's story, when did Magoichi die? That really freaked me out.
Ah, that was a surprisingly well done story compared to the rest, if only because of that. I went back to the cutscenes and noticed that afterwards, no one else ever responded directly. Anyway, it was at Honnoji.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tae posted:

This is the first time I'm complaining about a koei port (other than Tokiden), but you have to force AA through your driver for the game. I don't understand why the game has all the other fancy options but not AA.
DW8CE, Empires, and SW4II all didn't have AA either.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Who the hell is the fairy? Also glasses guy.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Does anyone know how detection works in Assassination missions in DW8:E? Is it just a sphere around Torch Troops?
Its been forever, but I think so. Also if I recall, getting detected isn't always a problem if you can get to the target fast enough.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
On the flip side Oroichi 1 had some seriously broken player stuff. Like Diao Chan's R1 slide with iirc full invulnerable frames and basically 0 recovery time.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So apparently the standalone Nobanaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence - Ascension is available in english now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/375450/

Is this any more interesting than base SoI?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Picked up DW 8 Empires, any must have dlcs?
Not really - all costume packs and edit parts, and misc background cosmetic stuff.

EDIT: Apparently there's a 2 standalone scenarios packs it looks like, which I never noticed before. Those look to be the only gameplay content.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 11, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah ROTK11 is a very competent turn based strategy game - liked it a lot when I played it several years back.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Literally all they have to do to fix the game is to put in the duelling or debating from literally any of their other games. Everything else is perfect aesthetically and UI wise. It's night and day playing ROTK 13 on PC and playing ROTK X on PS2.
There's definitely more requires fixing. The entire economy and battle system (because they're intricately interconnected) needs to be redone from the ground up. And for a game so supposedly focused on character interactions, actually making connections/friends is tedious as gently caress, taking forever, with goddamn gift requirements, with gifts being hard to get as well, all for minimal apparent benefits.

EDIT: Aside - never played RTK10, just 11-13.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 7, 2017

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

bentacos posted:

I liked how they did that for Spirit of Sanada and having different models for some of the characters based on how old they actually were at the time. Kinda hope they expand on that.
Really weird having the un-aging ninja teenagers around old dudes though.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Drakenel posted:

Oh good, I see the npcs have the proud tradition of 'stand there staring blankly into space until murdered.' going for them.
Yeah, noticed that they're more inactive than usual.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

quote:

Famitsu: In this game, the actions of the unique characters have also been renewed indeed.
Suzuki: Just like giving variety to ways of progressing story, we’re also thinking of changing the [gameplay] system to also give variety to actions. Out of the various ideas that we had, we’re implementing the State Combo system where the action changes based on enemy situations.
The basic attacks don’t change with still mashing □ button, but by pressing R1 and either △, □ or × buttons at the same time, you can forcibly change the enemy situation. This is called Trigger Attack which starts a combo.
From this Trigger Attack, other than changing enemy situations to be juggled in the sky, stunned or toppled down, it will also connect to the □ button attacks.

Famitsu: When you’re attacking enemies, sometimes there’s a △ button mark showing up above an enemy’s head. What’s this system?
Suzuki: This action is called React Attack. It is shown on occasions such as when you might be able to counter enemy attacks, and if you press △ at the right timing, it will unleash a React Attack to change the enemy situation.
Even when you’re mashing □ button, the React Attack input will be prioritized, so it will be also easy to be used by people who are not too good with action [games].
So they're bringing in and expanding on some SW mechanics too.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Who is Xu Shu? I have no recollection of him in DW8 somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow this is like the bad opinion Olympics