Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Far as I'm concerned SB3 is the king of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Man, I don't know what ya'll dweebs are talking about, the sword classes are the best. Nothing better than watching all of your cavalry and poo poo die in droves around only to get sick of this poo poo, break off, hit your buffs, and oneshot absolutely everything.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also, I just did the map with Oichi for the first time, please tell me she's an unlockable character, her "fighting style" looks amazing.

Yep! She's a queen of cluster-gently caress and I love her.

Beat story mode as Yukimra and Date, then beat it as the characters they unlock.

And yes, Tadakatsu is unlockable. Don't remember how.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 21, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Ghost-Slug posted:

I'm British but I can still appreciate just how amazing that game was. My brother had a modded Xbox so I got to play it and while I'm not normally a fan of mech games, it was so much fun. RICHAAAARD! :argh:

Is it worth picking up a copy of the original Bladestorm or should I wait for the remake? Is it a bit like Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders or is it more simple than that?

It's like playing as a Dynasty Warrior mook, and you can control different squads of mooks and level them up to make them less mookish, and change rapidly between mook squads to win the mook rock-paper-scissors thing they got going on.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Policenaut posted:

DW7 Empires is $10 for the weekend on the North American PSN.

How is that by the way? I'm tempted but I can't really find a good breakdown of how the game actually is. It kinds seems like an RTS except victory is decided by playing a Dynasty Warriors level instead of a number generator?

Could I make Wario and have him take over China?

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 23, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

PureRok posted:

Pretty sure there's a demo if you want to try it. Although, I think it's just of the character creator.

Yeah, it's just the editor with a mission that lasts 5 minutes apparently.

quote:

Turn-based. Victory in combat is generally decided via Dynasty Warriors. There may be limits on how many battles you can play out yourself. Generally you have far more control over battlefield conditions via cards and controlling your allies.

Generally during your turn you're gaining cards via various means that provide boosts to your territories, money to buy stuff, and/or combat boosts. There's alliances and some amount of dealing, but not that much.

It's a 'lite' merger of Dynasty Warriors and the Romance games, as I understand it.

Huh, that actually sounds pretty fun.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So I'm thinking my favorite part about Empires is the character creation. I think eventually the entire cast will be replaced with characters from different franchises.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Lack of Drac forces? Come on, you got Lugosi Dracula, White Hair Dracula, Monster Dracula, Gabriel Dracula, Mathias pseudo Dracula, Soma Dracula, all the Draculas!

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

DaveCG posted:

Naruto Warriors. Great, now I feel dirty.

No joke I would play the poo poo out of it. Naruto games have a tendency to be kickin' rad.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So what changes between the different scenarios in Empires 7? It's still the same map, the actual levels don't seem to be any different, the endgoal doesn't change, and there's no real noticeable story mode that I've seen.

I guess it's a different era so there are different people, but I don't know poo poo about the actual story so I don't really notice the difference. Well, that and I've made so many characters that they replace swathes of the actual characters.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Brony Hunter posted:

Yeah it doesn't really matter if you don't care about the story. It's best to play the randomised scenario in that case (I think it's called Gathering of Heroes?). One unique thing in each scenario is that certain factions get access to historical battles if certain conditions are met. For example, in the Guandu Scenario, Yuan Shao's and Cao Cao's factions can fight the Battle of Guandu early on.

Yeah, most I remember about the story is from when I played the older DW games. So all I know is climbing a mountain to end the Yellow Turban Rebellion, and some guy calling his army a bunch of flaming idiots before making the wind blow really hard.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I enjoyed it for a while but couldn't bother to finish it. The limited copy paste movesets really kill a lot of replayability, especially since partway through both protags specialize in the same weapon. Sure everyone can wield anything, but they only get to use a boring a limited version of weapons they don't main.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The Berserk one was pretty fun but only if you were willing to accept that they very clearly built the game around one character (Guts) and the others are just kinda superfluous. Like Casca is built around grappling moves and poo poo that just...don't work on Large enemies. Of which there are a loving LOT. Griffith is about big sweeping poo poo that clears human hordes well but just fly past all the huge demons. All of Guts different movesets work perfectly through, I love running around in the Endless Nightmare mode with the basic rear end Golden Era kit.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
FW:W had a few problems. Clones, very square maps, being a celebration of a decade long franchise but only picking like 4 games...

Having a much more focused experience should help each of those. The core of it was always really, really good, and it introduced a number of the improvements that made HW:2 play better (such as introducing meter pop combos) so I have high hopes. Also, axe users were universally fun as gently caress with Lissa being the best character in the whole game. Gonna be fun to see what they do with such a famous and beloved axe user as Edelgard.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Strikers is really designed more as an action game with musou elements than a traditional musou. Actual boss fights are a major part, boss fights with phases and everything. I think it was originally going to be a more traditional style and have more characters from the other games but in the end decided to make it "Persona 5-2 but as an action game instead of a JRPG"

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I sure hope the movesets are varied: the class change mechanic means that *everyone* is a clone now so I'm hoping they make every class deep enough to make up for it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I would have minded the clones 60% less if they hadn't had the gall to make a clone out of paid DLC.

Outside of that, eh, wasn't bad. Liked it enough to beat the story and a couple of challenge maps, got my moneys worth out of it. Still go back to it sometimes too.

Do wonder if wyverns are still going to be OP as poo poo in Three Hopes.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Holy poo poo I saw like a 30 second clip of that on Youtube out of context and wondered if it really was supposed to be Zhuge Liang, but didn't care enough to follow up on it. Unless it has like across the board stellar reviews though I probably won't watch it.

It does. I think it's generally considered one of the best shows of the season.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Honestly there's just so many settings and time periods just begging for a Musou game that it's almost absurd that it doesn't happen more often, especially since KT seems to remember how to be good when they're hired to work on other properties. How is there still not an Final Fantasy Musou, a 40k one, Star Wars, anything really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Dunno how many goons are planning to play it, but Fate: Samurai Remnant is now available for preload, at least for Playstation. Don't know about Steam, I hear they tend to start later.