Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Do you still need to unlock all Created Character parts? Like, I want to go in there and make a bazillion officers to run around, but I hate waiting until everything's unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
So, there is no way to edit the 'Way of Life' choice to adjust how AI acts in free mode?

Even with historical swaps , they have Ordinary Man AI. KOEI done hosed up if they expect you to clear a campaign for each edit.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Basically WO3 applied DW7 DLC weapons in that were already out at the time. With new versions they didn't retroactively add DLC in the mean time, so Huang Gai didn't get the DLC canoe, or Zhurong the Boomerang. But Pang De got the Beatstick and Dong Zhuo got bombs, cause they were in the first round of releases.

They were added haphazardly too, at least in the original release. Dong Zhuo has the same musuo animation, and although his weapon is bombs in WO3, the last second of the animation is him returning to a club holding stance.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Seriously my favorite part of DW7's story mode is the Jin story where it comes off as even the Narrator is getting sick of Jiang Wei's poo poo.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
It's KOEI.

How many variations of 'Fights with Sword' are in DW8 even without EXs? Xiahou Dun, Sun Quan, Sun Jian, Cao Cao, Sima Zhao, Sima Shi, Yuan Shao, Liu Shan, Xing Cai

They'd differentiate two axe users without much effort.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
it gets easier when you remember it's inverted from the western perspective of names. Dong Zhuo would be Zhuo Dong in America, and sometimes people have the same family name despite not being related.

Zhang is like, the ancient Chinese Smith. Zhang He, Zhang Jiao, Zhang Liao, etc. aren't related at all, just imagine they're Bob, Jerry, and Dave Smith.

From 7 forward, they try to do accurate Chinese pronunciations. I just don't question it because it's not a grammar rule I understand. I'm guessing they romanize it as such since that's sort of the pseudo official romanization, and going to phonetically correct would probably annoy people more than just adding the correct pronunciations - people are used to him being Dong Zhuo and not Dong Zhwa.

Not to mention there's not really a good way to type out the sounds that makes sense in English, and it wouldn't be accurate anyway. Soon Schwen seems to be the closest we can get with Sun Quan, but Schwen isn't really the right phrasing either.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
You know the bad jokes based on the fact that Japanese doesn't have separate L and R sounds?

It applies just as much to other languages to English, so we're fluttering about trying to make sense of it.

Still, I gotta say this method is better than just reading it out as normal. Cow Cow and Cow Pee make the game hard to take seriously, and you're already struggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsTtNhNyA_o

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
The scythe/dagger-axe should be a created character weapon still with Yue Ying's EXs as a choice.

They made a lot of weird weapon swaps with 8:E. I actually thought DW9 was going to introduce some multiple EX weapon thing, but it's another psuedo-reboot ala DW6 so I dunno.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah this seems like DW7 all over again. We'll be rained on by DLC giving everyone back their standard movesets and all that.

Most of the super gimmicky weapons were crap to me too. I actually didn't mind the Crossbow too much. The Flamebow would have been interesting if the series weren't super about horde-control.

I could definitely do without the wheel halberd, wingblades, etc. It seems whenever they tried to find a compromise between realistic and fantastical, they got something kinda crap, but either other direction is fine. Generic Spear? Pretty good. Generic sword? This works. Scroll that summons phantom soldiers to fight for you? Awesome. Ancient Chinese Minigun? Swell.

A spear that is motorized and shoots lightning? Meh.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

NameHurtBrain posted:

would have been interesting if the series weren't super about horde-control.

It would be really hard to make work. Most enemies would need to go down in a hit. This only happens as is when you're overleveled or overtwinked for what you're fighting as is.

You'd fundamentally basically change what the game was about. The comparison that pops into my head is you'd be, I dunno, putting Bond from Goldeneye on the N64 into a Serious Sam situation. Even the biggest weapons in Goldeneye aren't really meant for mowing down hordes - they're meant to fight off at most 3 or 4 enemies at a time.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
There's definitely some sharing, but they might have extra whatever the equivalent of EX moves are, and some are different speeds. Tiashi Ci and Xiahou Yuan have the same animations but Tiashi Ci is a hell of a lot faster.

Edit: I'm liking that they seem to desperately want to make Zhang Jiao not appear to be ancient Chinese Jesus by giving him a new loving absurd hairstyle in every game.

NameHurtBrain fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 21, 2018

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

The Chad Jihad posted:

Is this the first time Hua Xiong has been playable or at least unique?

7:E made him the default user of the short pike that they later gave to Han Dang. IIRC they gave a few generics pre-loaded created characters. I'm pretty sure Gongsun Zan and Ma Teng were sporting semi-unique appearances.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
PCSX is really crap at dealing with disc swaps.

You need to make some sort of special custom ISO file:
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Dynasty-Warriors-XL-problem-SOLVED

It works for DW3&XL, and in theory it'd work for DW4/5 and SW1 as well.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Should have called Samurai Warriors 4 II Samurai Warriors 5 in the US just to be consistent.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
That's been a recurring issue I've noticed, WO3 had people super outdated too. Goemon in WO3 was constantly rated one of the worst since he was literally a Samurai Warriors 1 character in a field of Dynasty Warriors 7/SW3 people. He popped up in SW4 so he's probably not the oldest anymore, so that's nice I guess?

I haven't played WO4 yet, but I bet the tier list people are probably going to put Fu Xi and Nu Wa near the bottom. They're still probably Orochi 1 based(and in turn based off Dynasty Warriors 3 movesets). When you have so many characters, KOEI probably doesn't care too much about balance except in extreme cases.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Wandering back to DW3, are there some recommended PCSXE settings for it? I fiddled with it for awhile and I can't seem to get a solid bit of settings for it. Not :files: cause I have the actual game, I just don't have a PS2. Or a TV. So this is how I get my bad voice acting fix for now.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Dynasty-Warriors-XL-problem-SOLVED

This does work with 3XL for sure, but supposedly works with 4/5/SW as well. Basically you just mash through the load original menu, I think the combined image just puts the code it looks for in the right place, as the complete base game I believe is usually stored on the XL disc for loading purposes.

SW2:XL on 360 does this the best I think though, having it be DLC actually makes everything flow smoother, although it might be problematic in the long term.(Can you even buy the SW2XL on the 360 anymore?)

Question that's been bugging me related to the XL releases - what's Capcom's claim? Koei's been doing it since 2001 or so or whenever 3XL released. Was there another game that used the disc swap method of expansion packs before then? Nothing jumps to mind but I might be oblivious.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I dunno, I think part of them dislikes the idea that you could be the worst person ever at logistics and strategy, but because you're literally Lu Bu, you still win.

I mean, I'm personally fine with that. A sort of scaling difficulty(morale) depending on how badly you gently caress up being a ruler. If you're literally 1 guy with no troops, that's pretty much Dynasty Warriors personified. Not really RotK games personified, but they don't need to literally merge the games.

Although I think winning in a Dynasty Warriors game without fighting is amusing in itself. I know one of the Empires games has an achievement like this(something akin to winning with less than 50 KOs or whatever).

Also they wanted to ape Breath of the Wild for some reason and chose to do it with Dynasty Warriors?

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
see if I were in control of this I'd be passive aggressive

Do Not Pursue Jimmy Bob

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
You can also overwrite existing officers, generic or not. So if you want give Liao Hua something other than the generic officer face, go wild. Or be incredibly dumb and make Jin Zhou Tai a super fat weeb cosplayer of the Wu version.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
It's highly unlikely for a number of reasons - KOEI doesn't do licensing, it's a bit weird to put a living person fighting alongside people from hundreds and thousands of years ago. The only way it would happen is likely if Bo or his estate were secretly huge fans or something and would be willing to cut a sweetheart deal to be included.

That's incredibly unlikely, but it is fun to think about the lawyer approaching him. "This is not a sports game, Bo. Instead, you're in a mystical world where the Three Kingdoms Era of China and the warring states period of Japan are brought together alongside a bunch of mythological figures to fight one another in large scale warfare. Swords and sorcery kind of stuff, very anime. Why do they want you for you this, Bo? Well, thirty years ago, your character's stats in a Nintendo game were REALLY REALLY loving good."

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRoxMG2QYOk

That's a compilation of his various arrow'd in eye scenes. Never eats it. I guess Omega Force views it more icky than badass? With camera cuts it wouldn't be that hard to animate.

IIRC, in 7 and 8, when you play him immediately after he's still the two-eyed version and doesn't get the patch til next battle. Shouldn't have been much effort to, I dunno, have him pull off some cloth, show him off screen bandaging himself, then running off into battle like a lunatic?

DW1 though, he does eat it. And it comes with PS1 era blood.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Actually yeah, rewatched, in 4 he does make the motion, but not in 4XL which is odd. In 5 I don't see it(outside Dun looking away from where the enemies actually are to get shot.) Bonus stupid points for 9 where he resumes what he was doing in staring down arrow fire after losing an eye, making no move to take cover or prevent getting shot again.

Although unrelated I do like the little badass moment Yuan gets shooting the guy bragging in 8 nonchalantly. Xiahou Yuan probably a low-key darkhorse favorite character of mine.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

lowercase16 posted:

Playing Song of the Sanada made me wish they made Young, Prime, and Old versions of all the characters. It's weird seeing a pretty young lady being described as a grandmother or an old man character who is supposed to be the son of someone who looks younger than him.

Are skins like really hard to make or something? There aren't a ton of them in recent games outside of DLC.

A pallette swap on a few would carry a lot of weight. I think in 6(?), Huang Zhong has a black hair color swap that really works for just making him look 20 years younger. The inverse would also work, slap some gray hair on people and it probably carries even if they're as smooth as ever.

Of course, it could also be fun if they used it as a method to play with things. Most of the new characters we get are Bishy as hell - very pretty boy without fail. A grizzled version of a lot of these folks could be fun to see.

Plus, who doesn't want to be grandma/grandpa obliterating thousands of mooks?

Chachi posted:

stupid sexy dong zhuo

Almost unrelated, but I'd really like some focus on the other factions. Maybe not elaborate as Lu Bu in 8XL(but hey that'd be fun), but give me a story where Dong Zhuo tells his own over the top revisionist history of being the good guy, everyone getting all bent out of shape about extravagant feasts and public torture. They just don't appreciate him.

Or a Yuan Shao version of Guandu that switches from as easy of a win to as hopeless a battle as Lu Bu's Xiapi finale.

I feel like the series weakness has always been hyper-focus on retelling the same story every time. They try to be different here and there, but multiple perspectives is something woefully underdone when both sides aren't Wu/Shu/Wei.

NameHurtBrain fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 4, 2021

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm very dumb and haven't played a SW in a long time, which 3 people are supposed to be in that image?

Hot Nobunaga in the Middle
Top Knot Mitsuhide Akechi on the Left is my guess.
Archer No on the right. That, or this is a new character entirely, since that's definitely not Ina?

Archer No suggests this is basically a reboot ala Dynasty Warriors 6 sooo... It might end up polarizing as gently caress. An aging element might be there as well, but it seems odd since there's no real 'age' thing that would make you switch from a bow to claws/bombs/whatever it is she does.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
aren't old costumes been eternally DLC options since DW7?

Also I didn't really spot Hideyoshi or Katsuie in the trailer? No, Ranmaru, some of the completely new characters caught my eye but nothing that struck me as either of those two.

BillyC posted:

this looks pretty cool, I hope Nobunga's true best buddy, Yasuke, shows up in this one.

I think Koei is too cowardly to be honest. It's a cool story that someone could have a lot of fun with - especially since Samurai Warriors isn't beholden to existing fiction like DW is. He's a former slave explicitly - Nobunaga likely purchased him from the Portuguese - another element that's usually left out of the games narrative.(barring 4 which I haven't caught up with yet). Sengoku Basara does oddly touch on it with the whole Xavism madness,

But slave, ties to the west, and black guy who historically gets treated really loving weird at times and partially outright racistly (some legends have him spared after Honnoji because Mitsuhide deems him a beast), it just strikes me as something Koei wants to avoid. Not to mention the nerd kneejerk of response of "BLACK GUY?!? IN MY SAMURAI VIDEO GAME", but eh. He does pop up in Nobunaga's Ambition and apparently is in Nioh made by the Tecmo side of things. Something about the Warriors games seems sanitized to me though.

For those curious:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuke

NameHurtBrain fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 27, 2021

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

Davincie posted:

I don’t think its some form of ‘cowardice’ or nerd reaction that is the reason they haven’t put Yasuke in considering he features in several games, a popular childrens book and anime.

If he’s not in its probably cause he barely did anything, was only in a very short period of Nobunaga’s life and he would fulfil a similar role to Ranmaru Mori who is too popular with Reki-jo to ignore

Actually yeah, from a gameplay standpoint, he'd fulfill the same role as Ranmaru - basically just showing up whenever Nobunaga does(ala No since historical records never say Yasuke went off on his own). And Ranmaru has had like, one game where he actually has a Musou mode to begin with (SW1).

Then again I'm always a fan of when they dare to go off the beaten path and not just go 'I fight this guys historical battles and that's it', which Yasuke seems to have a lot more of a story potential than Ranmaru(at least Ranmaru as depicted in 1-4 which is mostly LORD NOBUNAGA!!! and Some sort of LGBT-phobic Dude Looks Like a Lady poo poo.)

Weapon diversity is lacking so far. I'm kinda hoping there's some placeholders really? Like I can get scaling back the absurdity but scaling back the roster and having clones feels... eh?

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Samurai Warriors 4 II should have been released as Samurai Warriors 5 so that series numbering can be hosed too.

Orochi is hosed too btw - Orochi 2 is actually just a subtitle and not a full sequeal, so Orochi 3 here is Orochi 2 there.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Not all the dream stations are ballbusters but they tend that way, yes. You don't technically get anything beyond the usual for clearing them not even more cutscenes, so if you want to kick them down the road you can. They're all completely ahistorical and tend to fall into 'goofy as gently caress' or 'you vs. the world.'

I'm pretty sure I cleared Yukimara's musou on Normal at least, but then again, I'll step back and grind a bit than smash my head over and over again into a hopeless level. SW2 at least does let you keep some of the exp you get on the stage even if you die.

NameHurtBrain fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 16, 2021

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Bo Jackson done right would be a great in a Musuo game. The dude was a multi-talented super athlete and this is the series about gross exaggeration and animeifying things. Literally imagining a musuo attack that is a 100 yard charge through mooks. Plus a modern-ish man in this bizarre world could be a fun story telling device.

Sadly it was always destined to be a meme because Vincent Edward "Bo" Jackson is a real person who has likeness rights. Zhao Yun, who has been dead for over 1,700 years, does not. It could absolutely be done, but I don't think KOEI has the will to do something that off the wall.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Dynasty Warirors 7 and 8 at least have overall good DLC options. IIRC 6 Empires had a bunch of free Create parts and free stuff is always good even if it's eh? It didn't really have DLC otherwise IIRC.

7 has the entirely of Dynasty Warriors 2 as DLC - and all of the levels are pretty fun ports partially because they're all tuned for maximum difficulty, and there's 5 games worth of new characters interrupting the usual cadence of officers/generic officers. Wu Zhang is kinda funny since most of Jin starts appearing at this point. So the Shu side is literally just slews of main characters - also making for primo grinding.

Usually every DLC pack contains the map, and 3 scenarios. One for each side, and one original scenario. Most maps are based on 2-5 maps. I forgot the cost, but they're all sub $5 per pack which is super worth it.

New weapons are also similarly cheap and for 7/8, are just new movesets.

The classic costume packs are cheap and basically added costumes from 3-6 with a few extras - Ling Tong has a 'DW4' costume where he basically has a mullet. Sure, why not.

The sketchy DLC imo, is the music DLC. It's pricier IIRC, Usually it isn't a big enough deal for me, and I kinda liked leaving nostalgia music rush for Empires games which usually have a massive catalog of past tracks. Then there's the weapon skin packs which are silly and IIRC, cost more than the new movesets. The completely original costume packs are more pricey, but I guess they're technically original content rather than old stuff rigged into a new engine.

My only real complaints is the stages don't carry forward to 8 despite it clearly being the same engine. Nothing carries over. Also they don't try to implement weapons that are clearly meant to be for a character with EX weapons - or even make said character proficiently with it. The Flame Sword, obviously meant for Sun Quan, is not usable well for him because Sun Quan's proficiencies are speed weapons which the Flame Sword is not.

Honestly it makes me realize Dynasty Warriors would be an ideal 'game as a platform' thing - I'm thinking the 2016 Hitman and it's sequels as a model. Slight new engine tweaks but can pay a small fee to bring old game into new game entirely.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah, unless there's a serious about-face with VA hiring practices in DW10(where they bring back most of the 8 Crew), I feel like the game will be a missing a good deal of its soul. It was never great VA work even when it's not early PS2 era garbage, but it always feels lesser to not be able to identify people by voices as they ask you to do something or complain or whatever. You're busy paying attention to crowd murder and can't always be arsed to read.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
There was that really shoddy Ninety Nine Nights game back in the 360 era. I really didn't like it.

Sengoku Basara is the obvious answer but I really don't feel that has the same emergent gameplay feel as a Warriors game. Your character is literally all that mattered, there was nothing to protect, and nothing ever changed. I mentally compared it to a Mega Man game in some regards - Magoichi's stage is always Magoichi's stage in the campaign, you just played through with a new moveset. 99N also had this I think - it was a crowd brawler but you weren't reacting as much as you were just slogging through armies.

Both were clearly inspired by Warriors games but just took the interpretation the wrong(?) way.

I feel it's a really ripe avenue if someone wanted to try to do it. Some competition is always good. KOEI fell into it honestly, since the principle idea for musuo is 'what if action game on a strategy game map', and it was during a time where they had enough money to try such an idea. Part of the magic grows out from that formula.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Oh yes, that's pretty much the ideal solution if KOEI wanted to expand the series into more than what it is. Just have enemies start dropping more loot beyond weapons. Add more customization and synergies with what you can use. Add some sort of near-infinite scaling. Let cooperative play have more players.

Are you telling me there aren't people who would run Wu Zhang Plains +42 with 3 friends over and over just to see how far they could go? Or to push a leaderboard even? To go farm Yi Ling to get Zhou Yu a stick that does 3 more fire damage on his S-string?

No. We got open world Dynasty Warriors which to me still seems incredibly :psyduck:. Who the gently caress wants to go hunting with Xiahou Dun instead of just getting to murdering hundreds of dudes.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
PvP in Warriors games seems like something that can't really work to me, but if you did try to make it? A MOBA would be kinda what you go for, which would be my second guess at a possible development for the series(although MOBAs aren't big in Japan and that seems to be a big deal for Japanese developers even if it could mean more sales worldwide).

At a glance, it lines up. Take an evenly matched Empires map. You got two sides. You got creeps for exp/gold(Mook troops and officers). The heroes are your champions/legends/whatever buzzword you want to use. There's a goal for both sides - usually the enemy main camp, or a commander. It wouldn't be hard to incorporate other MOBA elements into dynasty warriors - an off the pass mercenary camp granting buffs or marching attacks against the enemy. League of Legends has something like 150~ playable characters, even if a lot of them aren't played due to meta reasons.

It breaks down in the micro. Warriors games have really leaned into you being an Anime-flavored fighting god, and I seriously imagine if you could pvp in DW8 at a high level, it'd be akin to Diablo 3 PVP.

Where it's basically who lands a hit first wins. Kind of a garbage rocket tag game, which can be fun, but is hardly competitive on the long term.

You'd have to scale back the power level to DW5 or before level, and do a lot of balancing tweaks. I youtube'd some DW4 versus play and it's not *terrible* but those fights are deliberately done with set stats. I imagine with the usual growth and having the option to use items it'd get rocket-tag style quick. Also most of them seems to be dicking around and I wouldn't surprised if it wasn't too hard to get an infinite going as you can against the AI in DW4. The Orochi series also has duels and it's appropriately absurd.

It actually sounds fun thinking about it, especially if you went DW themed with things for traditional MOBA effects. Instead of turrets you'd have beefy guard captains with a lot of archer cover. Big raid boss as the objective/commander. Maybe using the gold equivilent to set up strategems to use beyond the usual character improvements.

But it'd require a lot of balancing for any life, and uh, balance and dynasty warriors aren't words that go together.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Dynasty Warriors, except you're literally one of the mooks Lu Bu swats away without even trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYWhG6T-pPo&t=12s

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
There's some sounds that just aren't going to be romanized right I think.

Sun Quan would be something like Soon Schwen but even that's not right I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Gracia's R1+T is also a heal - and I think the higher ranks of Triangle are shields/damage auras? So with the quick musou recovery, she's basically unkillable if you can manage to get a moment to heal yourself. I believe it's utterly unique in a more 'classic' musou game - i can't think of another 'healing' musou until DW7 with Yuan Shao's pose and Pang Tong's nap.

She's definitely a unique as hell character, and I kinda thought she got screwed over pretty hard in Orochi since they didn't bother converting the mage playstyle but I didn't think to try to play her as a cavalry character there. I mostly used her as a foot soldier in SW2 spamming fire and ice.

It's also hilarious as a westerner that the Japanese company basically decided that the character's whose biggest trait historically(beyond being Mitsuhide's daughter) is being a Christian - just basically becomes a wizard. Just a weird inversion of the western trope that Eastern cultures are mystical and mysterious.

Remember Jesus's teachings, folks - summon a blizzard around you to slaughter your enemies.