Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just randomly found this topic while looking for others, and I discover a Dynasty Warriors 9 is in the works. Neat!

Gotta say though, after experiencing 8: Empires, and knowing about Warriors Orochi 3... if the english release DOESN'T get english voice acting, that'll REALLY hurt my likelihood of grabbing it.

Interested to see the three new faces with this one, too. Cheng Pu is goddamn overdue for a playable appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Mr. Leonheart posted:

It was so good for just blasting across a map if you didn't have a horse

Wonderful memories of grabbing the temporarily-unlimited musou item as Gan Ning.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I've recently booted up DW3 again.

I'd forgotten how deeply this game hates the player and everything they stand for. I am also learning to fear archers all over again.

Also, drat you Sun Quan, running right the hell past me in He Fei while I'm fighting Gan Ning to lose me the level...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Earlier Dynasty Warriors games tend to portray him as more sinister, more recent entries have started to portray him in a more sympathetic light; his big "Character quirk" in the Dynasty Warriors games is always "Ambition this, ambition that".

In 8 especially, to me it comes across as, yeah he's trying to strong-arm his way to his goals, but that goal is "bringing peace to a chaotic land", and is shown to be a brilliant leader in multiple respects, including how he recruits some of the playable characters.

The infamous "Cao Cao, Zhang Liao, and Lu Bu" moment at the end of Xia Pi in 8 makes me laugh a little, since it almost looks like Cao Cao is interested in recruiting Lu Bu, and Xiahou Dun nearly flips his lid in response.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Man. Booted up DW3 once again... I will forever be baffled by this one random-rear end Gate Captain in the battle at Yi Ling that, for some reason, has Commander levels of Stamina. He's not even near Sun Quan, he's on the other end of the map, near Sun Shang Xiang. :confused:

EDIT: Also the fact that both Lu Meng AND Zhou Yu are in the battle despite the fact they're supposed to be dead, but that's not all - not only are they here, they uber-buffed! Not to Lu Bu levels of not-flinching, but they're still ridiculously strong for being just random officers on the map - and worse, they're not too far from each other, so they can team up on you. Even on normal, a single musou attack from Lu Meng can easily knock off half my drat health bar :(

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 21, 2017

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Death Zebra posted:

There was that weird thing where Liu Bei, Cao Cao, and Sin Jian (and Sun Ce as well IIRC) would replace their sucessors as supreme commanders in later battles if you completed their musou modes. Maybe there's something similar for lower officers. I doubt it though. Guan Yu was my first character and I don't remember him appearing in battles after Fan castle.

I know this at least happens with them showing up in more battles once you've completed their musou modes; my personal favorite is the fact that Guan Yu shows up at Yi Ling once you've completed his Musou Mode... Yi Ling, the battle that happens entirely because of his DEATH, and he's right there for it.

However, it wouldn't explain those officers having the super-buff stats. Also, it turns out Lu Xun has the same buff. It's not just a case of all playable officers getting it, as Sun Shang Xiang was a pushover on that same map, and it's not "all officers whose musou mode you've completed" either, as I have not yet done Lu Meng's musou mode, and I HAVE completed SSX's, and she was, as said, a pushover.

Lu Meng, Zhou Yu, and Lu Xun though, all three are for some reason absurdly powerful on that map, and I'm playing Zhuge Liang right now, so uhh, yeah. Bad times all around.

Death Zebra posted:

My favourite historical inaccuracy is in SW1 where Masamune interferes in a battle that took place 6 years before he was born and defeats both sides.

Let's face it, his musou mode was just a long string of that. "Oh look, a battle. LET'S KILL BOTH SIDES AAAHAHAHAHAHA"

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 21, 2017

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Maleketh posted:

And that's why Masamune was the best character in SW1. I was so mad that they took away his "Imbeciles!" catchphrase in the sequels.

Apparently Warriors Orochi 2 (only ever played the first one) has a scene with Masamune, Sima Yi, and Mitsunari Ishida that's mildly amusing.

After berating someone for some reason:

Sima Yi: "Imbeciles!"
Masamune: "Imbeciles!"
Mitsunari: "I'm not saying it."

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Incidentally, after the UTTER HELL that was beating Yi Ling in Zhuge Liang's musou mode (4th stage. Only had his 2nd weapon, only two other stages completed outside the first three stages of his musou mode)... well, let's sum up how Yi Ling went for me first.

Failed to stop the Fire Attack, literally all other primary officers other than myself and Liu Bei die, Liu Bei is back at the southwest base with 0 morale (I naturally have 8 because player character), Lu Meng and Zhou Yu kicked my rear end up and down the map, but many, MANY attempts later using savestates before engaging managed to take them both down, I had to make my way over to Liu Bei to save his rear end from Lu Xun, only to discover that HE had the same uber-buff as Lu Meng and Zhou Yu, so beating him takes a couple of attempts.

Go try to take out Cheng Pu, who's hanging out at the northern entrance to the base being distracted by Ma Liang (Zhuge Liang's subordinate, and thus doing just fine with 8 morale), except Liu Bei proceeds to die to soldiers off-screen, so I have to take on Lu Xun again, and then proceed to babysit Liu Bei's rear end all the way up to Sun Quan's area, since he decides to charge once I take down Lu Xun much to my chagrin. ("You're too far out! Pull back!" "gently caress YOU, HYPOCRITE, GO BACK TO BASE") So then I have to babysit him near Sun Quan, dealing with soldiers pouring out of gates and archers everywhere, Liu Bei only surviving because I:

a) never let him out of minimap range
b) go out of my way to give him chances to do that AI thing where they charge their musou to heal themselves

And then proceed to get my poo poo knocked down to red health from full against Sun Quan, leading to the time-honored tactic of running the gently caress away and/or blocking until my musou is full, then letting the fire damage burn Quan down. In the end, Liu Bei contributes a True Musou (Sun Quan hits him like a truck), but we still end up running, and Sun Quan leashes, putting me in a perfect position to just snipe the rest of his health bar with strong-attack arrows for the victory, because I was paranoid about how low my health was, having used up all the nearby health in breakable pots (that I could get at without leaving Liu Bei's side).

After all that... the game decides to give me Zhuge Liang's third weapon, with a fuckload of defense on it. I don't know whether to be angry or thankful. Because holy poo poo did I need that.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You know, to this very day I remain baffled by this one Gate Captain.

Dynasty Warriors 3, Yi Ling, Shu-side. The Gate Captain near Sun Shang Xiang. Why the gently caress does he have commander-defense?!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Mr. Locke posted:

9 has too many fundamental problems with it's design to be fixed with a mere patch. I'd check back in around Xtreme Legends time.

Call me when everybody has their unique weapons back without DLC and the Open World concept is scrapped completely.

Mr. Locke posted:

Probably a programming error. Since it's a late-game map for most campaigns, it's got a lot of amped-up bosses, and it probably got a buff intended for one of the other major Wu generals (Maybe even SSX? Most of the other main Wu generals had the super-boss thing going on that map but I remember SSX kinda just being there, which is weird to think about now considering how pushed she was for the Wu side in 3, but I kinda just wrote off as just her just being a really easy general compared to Super Ning or Sun 'Archer Lord' Quan.)

Honestly, probably. The buff was probably meant for SSX. Though that brings up another question (how the hell they put the buff on the wrong unit who's not even an officer aside). Why the hell does EVERY GODDAMN OFFICER on Wu side have Super-Stats?!? Lu Meng, Gan Ning/Zhou Yu, Lu Xun... Sun Quan's allowed, he's actually the commander. Everyone else has no goddamn excuse. Especially considering they either weren't there, or did nothing special in the battle.

(then again, "not there" doesn't seem to stop DW3 from much of anything, since Guan Yu shows up instead of Ma Chao if you've beaten his musou mode... Guan Yu, the guy who's death CAUSED THE BATTLE.)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay, dunno if this is the right place to ask, but it's emulator trouble with Dynasty Warriors, so I'll try here first.

I'm using PCSX2 (v1.4), and I have an .iso for both DW3 and DW3XL. Problem is, when I boot up XL, it says the memory card data is corrupt or something and that it can't be combined with Xtreme Legends. In fact, when I try to do the disc-swap menu option to unlock original game content in the XL game, it doesn't even recognize the DW3 .iso as Dynasty Warriors 3.

Both games run absolutely fine individually, no issues whatsoever. It's only when DW3XL tries to access DW3's save data or the "disc" that it doesn't work.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be related to the actual .iso filenames? Any thoughts?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

NameHurtBrain posted:

PCSX is really crap at dealing with disc swaps.

You need to make some sort of special custom ISO file:
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Dynasty-Warriors-XL-problem-SOLVED

It works for DW3&XL, and in theory it'd work for DW4/5 and SW1 as well.

Thanks for pointing me there. Now if only I could get it to load the save data from my DW3 data. Still says it's "corrupted" when I load up the game :(

Cause I've been playing in base DW3 for a while, but I wanna import the save data to XL now. The Disc Swap is working, but I want Xtreme Legends to load save data from the base DW3. Character stats, weapons, items, that sort of thing.

EDIT: I would love to ask the PCSX2 forum directly, but any time I try to post, it just spits errors at me.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 7, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Still playing Dynasty Warriors 3, and...

Apparently the Wei troops near Sima Yi on You Ting have taken up mountain climbing...? I keep seeing troops running across the impassable-terrain mountains between the three gates at the north end of the map...

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...more DW3 frustrations...

I am having a mild case of OCD in the form of "MUST COLLECT DIM SUM AND MUSOU WINE FROM EVERY STAGE" while going through Musou Mode.

The problem is, I can't find the stupid Dim Sum on Yuan Shao's version of Jie Ting in Xtreme Legends. I know where everybody SAYS it is, by the top-left or northwest gate at the top of the map.

Problem is, it's not there. All the pots near there are either empty, or just have health. I can find the musou wine just fine, just a bit southeast from where Yuan Shao starts. But the Dim Sum just isn't around. I actually went all over the map breaking every pot I could find looking for this stupid thing.

At this point it's the principle of the thing. I refuse to move on until I find this stupid snack. :black101:

EDIT: Hell with it, I'm pretty sure I know which pot is SUPPOSED to contain the stupid thing, but I break it, and it's empty. Something's screwy, so I guess this map just doesn't have one.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 12, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Never did find that Dim Sum on Yuan Shao's Jie Ting, but I'm over that. I've accepted that either the entire internet is lying, I'm blind, or my game is weird, it's one of those three and at this point I don't care which.

But can I just comment for a second how creepy it is that in DW3, Xiao Qiao calls Zhou Yu "Master"?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Guh. Seriously. Who the gently caress had the bright idea, for Dynasty Warriors 4's Nanman Campaign, to have your ENTIRE ARMY TAKING CONSTANT loving MORALE HITS FOR THE ENTIRE STAGE?! Meanwhile, the enemy's morale climbs higher and higher and higher.

If you're not playing the commander and not just blitzing the bottom of the map to end it immediately (because why even play the level if you're just gonna skip the entire fuckin' thing), the only possible strategy is to get as much done as you can before your commander gets himself in poo poo, then glue your rear end to his face for the next better part of an hour grinding up to 1000 kills to max out his morale so you can leave his side for two loving minutes without him having a goddamn heart attack while you finish the rest of the map.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I have it, it's decent. I played it on my keyboard for ages though, since I didn't have a controller I could use with my computer at the time. I uninstalled it at some point but haven't picked it back up since getting the controller I use now.

I don't know how it stacks up to the console version, or if it's a shoddily done port in any way, but I never had any issues with it myself. If you're willing to spend a little extra, the one (and only) DLC I actually bought was the "New Stage & Animal Pack", as it adds various versions of maps from DW3, 4, 5, and 5XL.

Specifically, the maps it adds are:

Battle of Bowangpo (Bo Wan Po from DW4)
Guan Yu's Escape, the DW3 version.
The Pacification of Jiang Dong from DW4, the fight against Liu Xun and Yuan Shu.
Battle of Mount Qi (DW5XL, I think?)
Invasion of Nanzhong (Wu vs Nanman, DW5)
Battle of Yangping Gate (DW5XL)
Battle of Liang Province (Dong Zhuo vs Ma Chao/Teng/etc, DW5)
Battle of Hanshui (DW5XL)

The Weapon System Pack (I didn't grab it) also adds three different weapon types, that were otherwise introduced in 8: Empires, Meng Huo's Stele... pole... pillar, thing, Lianshi's Duck Hooks, and Liu Shan's "Dragon Column" aka a loving bench.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 24, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
As an aside, the updated Bo Wan Po map is neat for one reason, the Wei side had a generic officer for their strategist there in DW4.

Xu Shu.

He ain't generic no more. So that's a nice little touch. And kinda fitting, as even back then, in this map he kinda gets worked over by Zhuge Liang tactically, and moans that he's no match for him, whereas in DW8, Xu Shu's entire personality pre-Chi Bi (where either Wei or Shu earns his loyalty by convincing him to prove himself) seems to be low self-esteem.

EDIT: I do love how completing or not completing certain missions, and doing certain things in DW4's musou modes would affect other maps in the same act. Like, killing Zhang Liang and Zhang Bao in Yellow Turban Menace/Yellow Turban Fortress will stop them showing up in Yellow Turban Rebellion. Beat them both though, and Zhang Jiao gets pissed, and rolls boulders down the final hill before his area.

I'm going through Dong Zhuo's musou mode, and Campaign against Liu Bei and Campaign and Cao Cao are in the same act. In the Campaign against Liu Bei, if you beat Mi Fang three times, he surrenders and joins you. Carry on to Campaign against Cao Cao, and lo and behold, Mi Fang will show up among your forces there. Little details. And in fact, noticing where he was on the minimap reminded me of a terrain detail I'd uhh, kind of embarrassingly forgotten about that map...

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 26, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Bloodly posted:

Some things can even affect things later on. If Dong Zhuo survives Hu Lao, he can turn up later.

Lu Bu Wei-side can survive Xiapi(Or you could just ignore it), and will haunt you through most of the Wei campaign.

It's nice, but it also means you want a guide for some things. As some stages have requirements, and some stages for a side can only be unlocked after you've cleared a side's campaign once in any case. On XBOX(Where I first played DW4), I never unlocked everything. Now I have DW4 Hyper(Pc Port), I could probably make a better go at it. Just need to find something concise about it.

Well, if nothing else, most (if not all) stages can be unlocked in just two runs of each main kingdom's musou mode (and one run of the others, of course). There are a few that conflict, but there's enough wiggle room to hit all of them in two runs. In my recent clean-start file of DW4, I messed up in my first run through Wu and Shu, so I won't be able to get all the ones I missed cleanly in a single run, but I can get creative with save slots to deal with that. Mostly keeping a save before Chi Bi for both, as that's where the path splits for all three kingdoms, whether Zhuge Liang/The Fire Attack succeeds or not determining which kingdom you take out first.

Also, one thing I noticed while going through Lu Bu's campaign. Out of the five saddles in DW4, you get three of them while fighting against Cao Cao. Red Hare is Xia Pi on Lu Bu's side, Storm Harness is Campaign against Cao Cao, again Lu Bu's side, then Shadow Harness is Tong Gate as Ma Chao.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, DW3 Yi Ling is super-biased toward Wu, officer-wise. Shu-side, only Liu Bei and I think Zhuge Liang have commander-stamina levels.

Wu-side, on the other hand, Sun Quan/Jian, Lu Xun, Lu Meng, Gan Ning/Zhou Yu, and that one goddamn Gate Captain near Sun Shang Xiang. I wouldn't quite say they make Lu Bu look weak, though. At least the officers here actually flinch when you attack them. Lu Bu generally doesn't.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I wish I could remember this guy clearly at all, never mind remember him being such a nuisance. Was it only if you played on Very Hard via 3XL? Or was he still a superhuman mook on regular ol' Hard difficulty?

He's got commander levels of stamina/defense/HP regardless of what difficulty he's on. It's weird. The Wu Gate Captain right by Sun Shang Xiang and Huang Zhong.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

No idea, I miss them too. Especially the customisable ones in DW3XL, where they all had those sweet winged helmets and enough power to pile in and loving murder enemy generals in moments all while (potentially) having hilariously dumb names.

They're arguably just as strong in DW4, though harder to level because of being dependent on how many points they get on an individual stage, rather than total points, and their stat-gain being dependent on their weapon type.

Still, once you've got them up and going, they can be rather insane. Especially since, if you level them right, they gain elemental attacks for their charge attacks. A swarm of 8 pike-wielding vorpal users is nuts. As an aside, the AI really loves jump-charge attacks while using pikes for some reason.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I don't care what they do to DW9. I'm not buying it on principle. They hosed it up, and they hosed over the customers in enough ways, producing a really lovely product with a really lovely open-world that actively hurts the gameplay the series is known for.

Plus, you know, ripping out all the interesting weapons to sell as DLC. I'm admittedly a humongous fanboy for a few things and spend money on some series when I really shouldn't be supporting a particular company's practices, but Dynasty Warriors is not such a series for me. If the game is lovely, or the company is being a shady piece of poo poo, I'm gonna give 'em the middle finger, and speak with my wallet.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I have to admit, I have shamelessly stolen a number of lines from Dynasty Warriors characters for my own characters in other games. Hell, I even came up with an excuse to give my axe-wielding warrior in World of Warcraft the in-character title "The Coming Evil".

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So uhhh... anybody remember details from Dynasty Warriors 4 particularly well?

Cause I have no idea what the gently caress just killed me.

I'm playing Xu Chang, Shu side. Normal difficulty. I'm playing as Pang Tong. His defense isn't maxed out, but I've got a decent Tortoise amulet equipped. I'm almost at the end of the level. 4 officers left: Cao Cao, Dian Wei, Sima Yi, and Pang De.

I take out Dian Wei, and am getting ready to go after Sima Yi next, hoping to drag him away from his hug-buddy Cao C-.....I was at full health, why am I suddenly at red health

What just took off 95% of my max health in one hit

Why am I dead.

What the unholy gently caress just hit me?

EDIT: Like, seriously, there were no melee guys swinging at me, it sounded like an archer hit, but I've been getting pegged by those fuckers all map, they didn't do 90% of my max health in one go.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 26, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm honestly convinced something glitched out. It sounded like a single archer hit - no bit string of thumps, not one excessively loud one from them all hitting at the same time, just "thunk" and suddenly I'm at red health. And I did, in fact, have the Nanman armor equipped, in addition to the Tortoise amulet. I haven't unlocked many rare items on this file, and the ones I have generally aren't worth using (with the exception of the Way of Musou, but I'm not a big fan of that one, personally), so with Pang Tong's huge inventory, I get to load up on the regular items.

I'm just imagining Cao Cao getting salty that I'm playing as Pang Tong, but skipped the Luo Castle map, so he pulled out a friggin' Sniper Rifle or something. "Zhang Ren sends his regards." *BANG, BANG*

But yeah, the most likely explanation is a glitch. Cao Cao has a few bodyguards with what I refer to as the "Fuzzy Field of Death" aura, but they're all horse-bound melee troops.

EDIT: But yeah, I would recommend DW8 Complete as well. I picked it up on Steam a while back, and have over 200 hours logged on there, and I haven't even gone after most characters' special weapons. Empires is neat, but I personally dislike it when they don't do an english dub. (though I'll admit, the dub we got with 9 kinda feels like a Monkey's Paw wish...)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 26, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On another note, MFW an AI ally officer gets 50 kills before I do. Same character, same stage. But to be fair, I've been running around Officer hunting, not racking up kills. Pang Tong is fun, but the fact is, he really is terrible offensively outside of his Musou. All of his good area-hitting attacks are way too easy for a single peon to interrupt you out of, or before you can get to them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Keeshhound posted:

This would be a fun gimmick for an Orochi game; instead of having everyone just accept that they've been carted off to a hydra's hell dimension and forming new alliances, people from different time periods get swapped around and no one but the player character's faction notices due to time fuckery. Although I guess Xenoverse kind of did that already.

Nah, the characters in Xenoverse usually realize something's weird, but they don't realize it's BECAUSE of Time fuckery. Like the one sidequest where the plot is "YAMCHA IS STRONG, SOMETHING'S WRONG HERE, FIX IT" and all the guys on your side are going "what the gently caress, why is Yamcha so strong all of a sudden?"

What you're describing would be them not questioning it and just figuring "He's always been this strong", except it's "Nobunaga's always been the leader of Wei :downs:"

EDIT: Incidentally, I went back and re-did the level before work this morning, and what do you know, I guess Cao Cao/Nobunaga's Sniper Squad were off-duty this time, because my health bar didn't randomly explode into tiny pieces this time. Wind Scroll get!

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 27, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On another note, nothing quite earns your bodyguards a vote of confidence like all 8 of them surviving an encounter with Lu Bu at Hu Lao Gate, despite Lu Bu landing his grab (DW4) multiple times.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
If it's 10v10, it can't be THAT old. Warcraft 3 didn't support more than 12 players in a game until this past April.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I honestly just feel like being Open World hurts the core gameplay of the series. Stuff is too spread out.

EDIT: You know, not to mention the whole thing about ripping out the interesting weapons to sell them back as paid DLC.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 28, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

The phone game voice acting is about on par with the DW9 voice acting IMO

Ouch.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

kirbysuperstar posted:

I keep getting flashbacks to Dynasty Warriors Online

I enjoyed DW:O for a while, very casually and very briefly. It used the DW5 system for the most part, but had a couple of weapons that were unique to it, and never appeared in the same form elsewhere - several of them made it into later games, but with different moves, never quite the same. The whip was neat.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

Same. I liked how hilariously weak you are to start with, just following around a named character trying to kill poo poo in the periphery.

I eventually reached the point where I was able to get a Wolf mount. It was fun! I remember getting to participate in a SINGLE special event mission thing where named characters were present, and they generally one or two-shot you with standard attacks. As hard as you murder crowds of mooks... when facing down the likes of Xu Huang or Huang Zhong, you are one of those mooks.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Oh man. I forgot about this. Dynasty Warriors 4, where the Yellow Turban Campaign just threw up its hands, said "gently caress it" and made the Yellow Turban playable character list include everybody whose name started with "Zhang" because clearly they're all related to Zhang Jiao. Zhang Fe, Zhang He, and Zhang Liao, all siding with the Yellow Turbans.

Notably, this does result in one map against Liu Bei where they had to replace Zhang Fei on the enemy side with Zhao Yun... because you might be PLAYING as Zhang Fei, so they couldn't let him appear as an enemy, because that's not allowed in story mode. The same reason they had for removing ALL of a given faction's playable characters from levels where they would appear as enemies in its own story mode once you unlocked them. Strangely though, this logic removes Zhang Liao from the Si Shui Gate and Hu Lao Gate levels even when playing the Shu and Wu campaigns, and I never understood why. Were they not able to remove him from Wei's story mode without removing him from the maps for other factions as well?

EDIT: Okay, so... this one level. Campaign Against Liu Bei. Yellow Turban Forces. Your army genuinely has the advantage from the beginning, and this does not change. It's hilarious. You start with WAY more officers than they do, you're all the same Morale to start off, and right from the start of the map, Zhang Bao and Zhang Liang dam the river going through the castle. This 'befuddles' the enemy army. Of course, what they mean by 'befuddling" them is that it acts like a constant morale drain all through the map, in the same vein as what happens to your own forces during the Nanman Campaign. Except it's happening to an enemy that starts outnumbered, and even when reinforcements arrive, this doesn't really change.

Then there's Mi Fang. Oh, lord, Mi Fang. Truly, the hardest part of this level is actually keeping Guan Yu and/or Zhao Yun alive long enough to finish his series of events. Because the Mi Fang stuff will stop happening once they both die, as Liu Bei gets mad and opens all the gates, and triggers an ambush at your HQ. Of course, this hardly matters, since you've taken down a good chunk of the enemy officers, the enemy morale is through the floor, which means your own morale is sky high as well.

But Mi Fang shows up a few times. The first time you beat him up, he's fed misinformation and released. I don't know what actually happens mechanically, but he convinced Liu Bei to "bolster our defenses in the east", when your main forces are based in the southwest corner. As far as I can tell, this doesn't affect anything. But when you kill him on his second appearance, he reveals that ambush I mentioned. I think this probably spawns them with less morale or something. But your forces aren't exactly too concerned about them. Then he shows up again, and this time when you beat him, he'll surrender, join you, and infiltrate the castle to open all the gates from the inside.

All throughout this series of events, enemy morale is continuing to plummet through the floor. I do not see how it is mechanically possible for this map to provide a challenge. Even without the Mi Fang poo poo, the enemy morale is getting continually dropped through the floor, and even if both of their sets of reinforcements were to be present from the start of the map, your own officers would still outnumber them, not counting Mi Fang and the ambush.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 30, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jibo posted:

One of the cool things about 7XL is that you get to do Fan Castle from DW3 and every character has their own line about having to kill Guan Yu (except Lu Meng who already has a line at that point in the stage).

Wait, seriously? That's cool they brought that back.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

It goes away again in DW8 AFAIK. Can't say I've used every character on every map but I don't recall any scenes where my usuals (Xiahou Dun or Lu Bu) were given speaking lines in a Wu vs Shu battle or anything like that.

Yeah, I got the DW8/XL complete package on Steam a while ago. Had plenty of fun with it. A little soured when I realized 8 Empires had no english dub, though. I'm one of those people that just can't enjoy the game without a dub.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Azran posted:

I'll give DW9 this: Xiahou Yuan's death cutscene is fittingly anime.

Also apparently you can find the Great Wall as a landmark, that was a nice detail to randomly come across.

I remember being fairly convinced that that big wall in the middle of the map in the Yellow Turban Rebellion in DW4 was the Great Wall, but I don't know if that was actually supposed to be true or not. Probably not.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just loved watching and figuring out the AI in general.

Random observation I've noticed over the years is that in the 3-5 engine, officers and even regular troops with Pikes loved the Jump Charge attack that slammed you down into the ground, more than any other weapon type. Of course, that only applies from 4 onward, since 3 didn't have that attack yet.

It's a random bit of OCD of mine that, unless I'm absolutely in "SERIOUS-TIME" mode, I like to try and only use the orbs and mounts that the AI version of the character I'm playing. So, as Zhang He in 4, I'd go with the Vorpal Orb, but with Dian Wei, I'd use the Lightning Orb. Or the Ice Orb as Pang Tong. Sometimes I go so far as to only use said orb, saddle if applicable, and the Peacock Urn for HP. Never on higher difficulties, though.

I especially loved, in the Empires Games, trying to find my Edit Officers when they're AI-controlled, and observe their behavior. See which skill they got assigned in 5: Empires, what orb they use (I can't remember if they just used the source character's element, but I don't think they did). I still remember one hilarious story.

Made an Edit character based on a friend's character in online game I play. Very aggressive character, so I handed her the biggest beatstick I could think of. Huang Gai's club seemed to fit. She ended up as an enemy Ruler in a campaign (This is 5: Empires, btw). The AI version of this character (I'll just call her "E" for short) ended up with Taunt as her ability. At one point, I'm in a defense battle against her, on the Cheng Du map (the one with Liu Bei attacking Liu Zhang). Her main Stronghold is over in the forest, at that end of things. E's come herself as the Commander of the attack, and I've got the special tactic thing that lets me see what the enemy officers' individual "orders" were at any one time - what their AI's current directive was, where they were headed. Very neat to observe, to see what they're up to, how they think, what their priorities are at any given time. Always funny to look at that and see just about all of their orders set to "ELIMINATE PLAYER OFFICER".

But I digress. I went about my business. I was around the middle of the map, taking a stronghold, when all of a sudden, I realize "Wait a second, what the hell is E doing here?!". She's supposed to be the Commander! They don't leave their Base on defense maps! I go to look at her AI Orders, and lo and behold, she's still set to "Defend Main Camp!" BULLSHIT, LADY! You are nowhere NEAR your main camp! In hindsight, I considered that this was actually quite in-character for the character she was based on. Very aggressive lady. Best defense is a good offense sorta thing. Clearly she had decided that the best way to defend the Main Camp was to eliminate me before I could get near it!

In truth, I later came to the conclusion that at some point in the battle, she must have used her Taunt ability on someone, and this caused her to charge out to meet them despite her orders being set to defend, and I merely got in the way. But it was still hilarious and confusing at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I mean, I do know I would tend to experience a good amount of slowdown when lots of stuff was on screen in DW3 with the emulator, but I remember that being the game's fault, not the emulator or settings therein.