Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

So, let's go and take an enemy base
My brother used to play the Empires games, and at the start of every battle he'd put everyone in defense mode, so there would be a solid minute or two of every allied officer saying, "I'm going to defend this base!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

lowercase16 posted:

I remember really like Hyrule Warriors, but then getting my poo poo wrecked by the adventure mode.

I'm a filthy casual easy-mode gamer, and I don't think the adventure mode had difficulty settings. Did they ever, you know, add them? Or is there a stupid OP character I could try and use?
If you last played on Wii U, Legends did rebalance a lot of Adventure Mode to require less grinding.

You can also "cheese" stages that require a character/weapon you don't like playing using two-player mode, picking a character you like or is overleveled as the second player, then parking Player 1 somewhere out of the way and doing the stage as Player 2. Especially easy since the Switch comes standard with two "controllers".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FE Warriors is good, so if you're an FE fan, it's a solid choice. I know you've said you're inured to grinding, but it has far less mandatory grinding than HW. IMO History mode (which is where you're going to be spending most of your time in the game) is straight-up better designed, too; you're never stuck using a single character like HW. Also, while the character switching mechanic and the ability to give the other playable officers orders first appeared in HW Legends, it's much more natural in FEW; the game was designed around using these capabilities and it shows.

The main advantages to HW are that Definitive gets you the game, including all of the DLC from previous versions, so your $60 is getting you more content. Also, each character in HW has at least one unique moveset, while FEW has clones (although IMO FEW has better moveset quality on average; there weren't any characters I dreaded playing, as opposed to a few weapons in HW that were truly awful).

I don't have WO4, so I can't comment on its quality or lack thereof.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm gonna argue for Fire Emblem Warriors. I personally preferred it to HW, even Definitive.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

In all honesty if you've not played DW3 in over a decade or so then you're probably doing yourself a favour by not going back. I've been flip-flopping between all the releases since DW3 on a relatively frequent basis (often having to start from scratch) so it's less of a shock when QoL stuff I've been taking for granted in DW8 suddenly isn't a thing when I'm back in DW3/4/5 etc (such as calling my horse, only to have all the overhead lifebars disappear instead). In short, just stick with the memories of the good times. Going back will most likely ruin them, like back when I dug out DW2 for the first time in aeons shortly after 5XL was released. Basically I was horrified at what I couldn't do anymore and have looked down on DW2 ever since, even though it started the whole drat genre :smith:
I played a bit of Warriors Orochi 2 for a while last week after having most recently played Fire Emblem and Hyrule Warriors, and out of muscle memory I kept trying to dodge-roll to cancel animations and just jumped instead. Couple that with the fact that all of the triggers do different things and either the game doesn't emulate well in PCSX2 or my PC isn't robust enough to handle it, and it was a pretty sad experience overall.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno about Pirate Warriors or Gundam Warriors, but of HW, Fire Emblem Warriors, and WO3, WO3's story mode was the longest, probably by at least 3-4x. Even WO2's Story mode was significantly shorter.

But most of the meat of HW/FEW was in Adventure/History mode, so it's kinda not fair to compare them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah I feel like I'm the only person not disappointed by this news. Although I've already played p5, maybe that's why. At this point any p5 release is just a way to listen to the soundtrack.
I'm happy with it. I have P5 for PS4, so I'm not in a hurry to re-buy, but a Warriors game is something I've wanted for a while. I'm a bit disappointed it's focused solely on P5, but it does make sense for them to do so. Throw this in with the other two Switch Warriors games as something I'd like to see get a sequel with more characters, and while we're wishing let's reach for the stars and say not just from Persona games.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

McTimmy posted:

The Persona 4 Arena games pulled nearly the entire P3 cast into them so it wouldn't be out of precedent for Scramble to repeat.
The main sticking point here is that while the actual DW and especially WO games are known for bonkers playable cast sizes, this was built up over the years and many different game releases. First releases in new or crossover series Warriors games tend to have a much smaller playable cast. I personally wouldn't get my hopes up for the game getting anything other than the P5 cast, with perhaps DLC packs focused on P4 and P3 introducing 2-3 playable characters each from those games. Either that, or we'll probably get the most popular (in Japan) characters from P3-5, and there will be some holes in the roster. However, I don't consider this possibility to be super likely considering that the game is called Persona 5 Scramble.

If they do go hog wild and toss in the surviving P3-P5 cast I'll be ecstatic, but I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment. That would be nearly 30 characters, well beyond what either Hyrule Warriors or Fire Emblem Warriors did.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Azran posted:

Laugh at that but there's people working on European style names (or at least reversing family and given name order) for Total War Three Kingdoms. The names in that link are absurd but there is apparently some degree of demand for stuff like that.
I can kinda understand the name order one, especially since there's no official standard in localizations from Asian languages and it can be tough sometimes to tell which is supposed to be the given name and which is the surname. At least in DW, though, it helps that there are multiple members of the same family lines in the games (Cao Cao/Cao Pi, the Sun family, Yuan Shao/Yuan Ping, etc).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Azran posted:

It's something you can also check in like 5 seconds of googling, Wikipedia even tells you "hey this is an (nationality) name, so here's how it works". Changing names around will make it harder to look stuff up or talk about the characters - why would anyone want to subject themselves to that?

Aside from ethnocentrism and xenophobia, I guess.
It's more "this game localizes [surname] [given name], whereas this other game localizes names as [given name] [surname]" that's the problem. For example, IIRC, while Dynasty Warriors localizes names using the former, Samurai Warriors uses the latter, which creates situations like in WO, where you have Cao Pi next to Oda Nobunaga. It's confusing in the lack of consistency, more than anything.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Isn't there a new Pirate Warriors in development? I don't know much about OP so I'm not really following all that, but I remember seeing an article about it on Siliconera.

Speaking of which, how is Pirate Warriors for somone who doesn't follow OP? Do they bother explaining plot elements or do they assume you're familiar with everything?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

HPanda posted:

Yup. Scheduled for 2020.

It's fine if you don't know anything. 3 covers the story from the beginning up through what was then the latest arc. It's missing a LOT of detail and changes a bunch of things, but should be able to be followed enough to get what and why you're doing anything.

Just remember that it's Magical Pirate Adventures and you'll be set.
I'm not concerned about how accurate it is to the deep One Piece lore; I just don't want to start playing it and end up confused as hell when somebody references a fight with the guy who ate the Punch-Punch Fruit that doesn't happen in the game, and it sounds like that doesn't happen so that's fine.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd be surprised if it didn't get localized. The last time we didn't get a Persona game was the PSP port of Eternal Punishment, iirc.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Eh, while I'd love a Persona Warriors with full representation from all the games (yes, 1 and 2 included), I'd prefer a smaller, but fully polished cast over a larger cast with a bunch of duds and one or two super overpowered dudes. And the fact that it's Persona 5 only makes sense, considering it's the most recent and most popular game in the franchise. I'll be happy if the full cast of P5 is playable in the game, along with whatever OCs Omega Force makes for the game. Then they can build on the cast in DLC and/or sequels.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think that's just people getting their hopes up too much. I think at best you should expect the full P5 cast and maybe Yasogami/Gekkoukan uniform costumes.

If it does happen I'll be thrilled, but given the past history of first-gen crossover Warriors titles, I think expecting a large cast is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Drakenel posted:

HW is way better than most of the entire catalogue, to be fair.

I'm still clearing adventure mode maps to this day.
Speaking of, I picked up One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 for Switch during the recent sale, and it kinda feels like a rough draft for features that eventually made it into Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors. Your "buddy" who shows up to add to your combos turned into the character-switching mechanic in HW Legends. All officers have super armor, and the "stun" mechanic feels like it turned into the weak point gauge. Even the camera control feels rougher. I'm having fun, but it doesn't feel nearly as polished as HW/FEW.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Playing One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 on Switch, and the localization seems a bit rough. Spelling and grammar errors and typos abound.

For example:

What I thought this meant: "Fight and defeat Kuro while you, the player, are controlling Usopp", just like every other instance of "Fight X with Y" before and since.

What the game actually wanted me to do: Lure Kuro over to the AI-controlled Usopp. I had to look this one up, because I beat Kuro with Usopp like three times and the game would not give me the treasure bit. :argh:

Unrelated, but is Nami the absolute shitwrecker I think she is, or is she just noob-friendly? Her Thunderbolt Tempo or whatever move (her C4) has ridiculous AoE and builds Kizuna gauge so fast it sometimes goes from empty to max in one combo. I feel like I'm playing Zuo Ci back in DW3 and killing mooks from outside the console's draw distance. Whenever I'm offered my choice of character in a stage I usually end up picking her.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So does anyone else hate the Thriller Bark stage in Pirate Warriors 3 as much as I do? It's just absolutely awful. Everything about it sucks, from the mist, to the poorly-translated mission goals, to fighting Oars.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RareAcumen posted:

Speaking of trying games, I've got the Hyrule Warriors for Switch and oh god what is happening

Some maps aren't loading textures right, Darunia's floating out in an empty void as he opens a chest. One keep's ground keeps flicking between paved and dirt textures. I didn't have any of these issues with the 3DS version so I'm kinda sad about that. That and the lack of a 6,000,000 rupee giveaway.
So this came up in an LP of the game that I was watching, and it's supposedly caused by a memory leak. If you've been playing for long sessions at a time and/or leaving the game sleeping when you're not playing it, that could be the cause. Try closing the game and/or turning off the Switch (as in actually off, not just sleep mode) when you're not playing it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm interested in picking up WO 4 Ultimate with the recent Amazon sale, and I was wondering what the best console/platform to buy it on would be? I have access to a PS4, Switch, and a PC (although the sale doesn't seem to extend to Steam, and my PC ain't great so it probably wouldn't run super well), and I'd prefer the Switch version if it runs even acceptably on there, but PS4 is fine if the Switch version is crap.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ryoga posted:

*Monkey's paw curls*

Capcom announces the localization of Yukimura den Devil Kings 2

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Arbite posted:

Did any of Hyrule Warriors' later releases add another story campaign?
Legends added a post-game plot involving the Wind Waker characters. It's included in Definitive.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Drakenel posted:

Commander Keene mentioned the windwaker one, but others include both the villains side missions and Linkle's adventure in going nowhere, but still being helpful.

Also like 8 other adventure maps that'll keep you busy till the heat death of the universe.
Yeah, I forgot about Linkle's story, but the villain storyline was added as free DLC to the Wii U version.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't think any movesets have been changed at all, minor tweaks at best. If you hated a moveset, Definitive probably isn't going to change your mind.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I can only say that I really enjoyed FEW, and it was literally my first experience with the cast of Fates.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

God, do these games ever go on sale? Want to pick up either Warriors Orochi 4 or Attack on Titan 2 on PC and theyve been $60 forever arrgghh
I picked up WO4 Ultimate on Switch off of an Amazon sale a while back.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 28, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

gently caress yeah, inject that poo poo straight into my veins!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, my guess is it wasn't worth pushing for a worldwide release (because AFAIK neither Atlus nor Koei really do those), and then depending upon who was handling the localization (it appeared on a Koei financial report), either Royal's localization or Age of Calamity pushed it back.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've played Hyrule Warriors DE, FE Warriors, Pirate Warriors 3, and Warriors Orochi 4 on Switch and they all run fine.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kin posted:

Is there another warriors game that plays like Hyrule Warriors where the missions generally have a feel of a puzzle on how to take over a map?

I'm playing through DW7 and it's fun but most of the missions generally seem to focus on killing some of or a specific lieutenant on the map so there's not much strategy involved in it.
If you've got a Switch (and considering you're talking about HW...), Fire Emblem Warriors is like that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Twelve by Pies posted:

And as I said in the Switch thread, there's a chair in the apartment that Morgana will say "Remember training with this? You can use it again if you feel rusty" if you examine it. I choose to believe that Joker didn't know how to sit down for his entire life and had to practice at it, since I have zero context for that statement.
That's a pretty good interpretation, but IIRC in P5 you could use the chair to do pull-ups which would I think increase your Persona's stats or your max HP or something, but it was a tremendous waste of limited time so I never did it.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Other minor things I found interesting. Apparently all the Phantom Thieves can understand Morgana, but the old dude running the cafe can't. I assume this means he doesn't have a Persona, but they do mention they're Phantom Thieves around him, so I guess he knows about the Metaverse and Personas despite not having any himself? I dunno.
Basically yes. Morgana is unintelligible to anyone who isn't a member of the party and one of the villains of P5 which is part of how they catch the guy because they've been to the Metaverse and have seen his true form.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also, this girl named Lavenza is the only one in the Velvet Room, Igor is nowhere to be seen. I guess the Persona series has established that Igor is usually not around in spinoffs, though.
Igor's JP voice actor died in between P4 and P5, so they seem to be phasing the character out of the series rather than recast him. P5 only had very little new dialogue for Igor, IIRC.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, it's not a crossover-fest like most of the Warriors spinoffs, it's more of an Age of Calamity deal where it's a direct sequel.

The new characters are good though and the fact that you have all of the returning characters from the beginning means that some who showed up later in P5 get more of a chance to shine.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

From what little I played of the demo, Impa was actually my favorite to play.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's not in DW7? I could swear it was in Warriors Orochi 2.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my loving god the big bosses in Hyrule Warriors are REALLY getting on my nerves.
You just have to sit there with a thumb in your rear end waiting for their attacks cause there's literally nothing you can do to speed up the fight and all of the boss attacks have massive delays between them for no loving reason other than to just waste more of your time and then you also have to hope that it's the correct attack that actually lets you counter attack otherwise. It's literally the worst possible enemy design.

At least with officers you can still do chip damage while your wait for them to open themselves up but with bosses you literally can't do poo poo to speed up the fight.
If you have a full magic meter you can activate Focus (R IIRC) and then immediately hit A to do your Focus Special which will open a giant boss' weak point (anyone else's too, but you usually don't need the help there). If you're playing Definitive and not the original Wii U version having multiple characters fighting the boss (just order them to the same square) will speed up your magic regeneration and also there are fairy skills that help with magic regeneration and Focus Spirit duration IIRC.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean it's hard to make a moveset for Tashigi since she has only ever done like... Three things.
Two-thirds of the Hyrule Warriors cast says hi.

They made a moveset for Agitha, who only ever collected bugs, and for Midna's true form, who appeared for about ten seconds in the ending of Twilight Princess.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

Castlevania III Warriors
I'd buy a Castlevania Warriors. Get on it, Konami!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe turn up the difficulty so that your allies can't beat the leader as easily?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zaggitz posted:

I'm also a loser who cares about ~lore and continuity~ so I haven't played any of the orochi games since I think the first 3 directly follow eachother plotwise? I could have misread that though.
Technically yes, but it really doesn't matter. The plot is your typical Warriors crossover stuff (Big Bad distorts space/time to bring all the characters together) so you're not missing out on anything by skipping any one of them, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What, you don't like kemari? :suicide: