Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chachi posted:

Which means now Koei needs to get From Software on the phone and license Solaire, Laurentius, Siegmeyer and Tarkus for the next crossover title :syoon:
Oh my god. They'd fit in perfectly. Also Sieglinde can be there for the necessary moe slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Just in case y'all didn't see it, Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 and the brand new Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper are coming to Wii U.
Weird, I wonder who the COMPLETELY new characters are? From the way they said it it sounds like characters not from any other Musou game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they include Nintendo cameos. Fighting off demons and the Chinese/Japanese allied forces with Luigi and his trusty vacuum would be hilarious. :swoon:
That would be pretty far out there even compared to Orochi's current cast, but maybe Marth or someone?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You know that that is how the Musou series started, right? It has appeared in various Musou games since then, and it always sucks as far as I know. It's the reason they moved to the current style of gameplay in the first place, they suck at doing one-on-one.

From the video, it doesn't look like it adds anything worthwhile to me, other than supposed new characters.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 16, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think most action games are like that, there's a block feature but it hardly ever gets used because dodging is almost always better. Demon's/Dark Souls is the only counterexample I can really think of.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

I don't even know what a Wii U is so I'll just wait for the next 360/PS3 release.
Well, one thing we've never had to worried about in this series is console exclusivity, their 3d engine sure is a piece of poo poo in most respects but it appears to be extremely portable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

In the God of War series, the block function is pretty important because there are some attacks that can't be effectively dodged, and the addition of a strong counter actually makes it preferable when you are able to master it.
I dunno, I can't remember any un-dodgable attacks (because your dodge-roll thing is so long range), but plenty of unblockable attacks, and the counterattack isn't as good as just doing a normal attack string after dodging, I think.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Famitsu did a little "LIVE at Tokyo Game Show!" thing just before the show opens tomorrow and showed something they weren't supposed to.

ENHANCE!

Shin Sangoku Musou SLASH
How do you know it says "SLASH"? It could say "CRASH" or "BLASH" or "HASH" just "ASH".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 is due out February 2013 on PS3/360/Wii U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU72vMKmBCk

NO NO NO NO WHAT ARE YOU DOING!? DON'T ACKNOWLEDGE HOKUTO NO KEN 2 EXISTS!

On the plus side, everyone seems to attack faster and there's more characters. Thouzer's fight seems to actually take place at the Bloody Cross Pyramid rather than some random quarry.
I still think the fundamental problem with this series is that in the show, no one ever survives combat encounters with other major characters, but in the structure of a Musou game, they always HAVE to survive. So you have things like Shin walking away from combat, defeated but still alive. It is so deeply, deeply wrong.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Okay, I've gone off Pirate Warriors now, the 'Action' stages in the main storyline mode that are mostly QTEs/horrible platforming are either boring or annoying.
So it's just like Fist of the North Star's story missions?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

abagofcheetos posted:

What the hell is that friend network thing at the bottom, with the cats?
They're Toro and Kuro, the Playstation's mascots in Japan. It says they are doing some kind of DLC collaboration, it doesn't have any details.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone know if of the Warriors series of games are coming or available for PC? I've been dying for a fix and lack a console.
Yeah, there have been PC versions of some of the games. Orochi Z got a PC version. Dunno outside of Japan or not though.

Also DW Online, obviously.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Shin Hokuto Musou's page opened and uh...that's a lot of character slots.

I can't even think who that could all be, other than wasteland raider A, B, C, D, and E or something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Urdnot Fire posted:

Maybe we'll get to play as people like Bat, Yuria, and Lin :getin:
I'm almost certain of that, yeah. What will Yuria even do? I remember watching the first series and thinking, she's a general of the south stars, but can she even fight?

But yeah, maybe those aren't all to be filled, maybe its just there for the page to give it a sense of mystery about how many characters there will be.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Not strictly Musou related but apparently Q2 2012 was Koei-Tecmo's most profitable quarter yet (as a holding company I assume, not counting Koei and Tecmo individually). It's mostly due to DLC and browser/mobile games though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Himuro posted:

What in the gently caress.

Dynasty Warriors 8 was announced in Famitsu.

I cannot loving believe this poo poo.
Actually from the layout I don't believe that is Famitsu, unless they have changed a lot. Maybe Shonen Jump's game section or something?

Anyway that's odd. DW6 was a failure so it makes sense to bring out DW7 as soon as they could after, but 7 was awesome, why replace it so soon?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jibo posted:

Dynasty Warriors 7 will be two years old in March. Even if this came out then, two years isn't unreasonably quick these days.

E: It looks like 2 or 2 1/2 years between Dynasty Warriors numbered releases seems like the norm.
Oh wow, has it been that long? Time flies when you're waiting for DW games I guess.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

BOW DOWN TO JIN
So...it will go even further into the future, beyond the fall of Shu? What even happens then warfare-wise?

edit: I mean, unless you wanted to introduce a whole shitload of new characters and do the War of Eight Princes or something.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 31, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The official page is open.

It says there will be "what if" scenarios for if generals had survived certain battles. If done right that could be really cool...if done right.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Belzac posted:

Anyone have any better translations on the weapons for the new characters than what google offers me? Double Hook for Yue Jin sounds fine but a Revolving Halberd Car sounds a bit off for Li Dian.

Edit: Looks like it wasn't far off:

Yep, that is definitely a revolving halberd car. Well, given that the word from car is derived from the word for wheel.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wish I could be in charge of coming up with weapon ideas for DW. The next new general's weapon will be a spinning...chain...bookshelf...launcher.

Because they were originally a librarian you see, who was temporarily hired as a tactician by Cao Cao or someone.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sarkozymandias posted:

It's 2012 and it's the 7th installment, so why again do I have to unlock 60 characters manually without being able to play story mode co-operatively?
I was gonna say "lack of competition keeps them from innovating" but there is Basara now too, so what gives?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8uEDF8qtlk

Fist of the North Star 2 gameplay video. Kenshiro seems to move/attack much faster now.
Maybe that's just a bad demonstration video but it still looks far less fun to play and look at than conventional Musou.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

I was only disappointed with Bladestorm because I was expecting it to do to my country's historical figures what the Musou games did to China and Japan's. I wanted a fiery broadsword wielding Henry V, dammit.
Yeah, that was my reaction too. It isn't enough to see famous historical people as NPCs, I want to play as one, drat it!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The GIG posted:

Joan of Arc is in Warriors Orochi 3 :smug:
I've played WO3 for like a hundred hours...?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just noticed that in the character descriptions it says "proficient weapon", not just "weapon", maybe that means it's multi-weapons like before? I sure hope not.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Huh? What's with the foresty area they are in? Is that part of FoTNS2?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sarkozymandias posted:

I played Samurai Warriors 1 way back when and my favorite character was the umbrella lady. Is she in WO3? If so, sold.
Yeah, Okuni, she's there and just as silly as ever.

She's an interesting person.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I started playing the demo but got too bored to even finish it. Killing x grunts to proceed is NOT a fun goal for a musou game, grunts are just there as interference while you seek out and fight enemy generals/capture forts and stuff.

Also no matter what they do with Kenshiro, he is just NOT going to be as much fun to play in this kind of game as a south star person would be. In the end, Shin was the only one I liked playing as in the first game.

edit: I can't believe they made the same mistake they did with the first game, trying to cram musou mechanics into a traditional action game format. They are just awful for that. Really, they're just awful for almost everything, the only reason I give them a pass usually is because you can tear around like a maniac with almost nothing restricting your movement, but this game is full of walls and corridors and stuff.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 30, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Himuro posted:

Samurai Warriors 2 is easily the hardest Warriors game I have played. I am playing Mitsuhide Akechi and have died 5 times on this map where you assassinate Nobunaga, all from enemy generals. They continually block my poo poo, I feel like I am doing poo poo damage, and they can knock my health down to blinking red in just a few hits. Meanwhile I am being jumped by huge sumos, shot at by riflemen.

Holy. poo poo. I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong but this is tense as gently caress. I keep thinking I put it on hard mode but I swear I put it on normal.
That's weird, I remember it being the easiest one. One particular time I remember running right into the enemy's stronghold where literally twelve enemy generals were and somehow killing all of them myself, and I think I was even under-leveled.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WickedIcon posted:

If I am a huge Gundam nerd and want one of the DW: Gundam games, should I go ahead and get 3?
That's hard to say, the gameplay in 3 is the best I guess, but pretty much completely lacks stages and scenarios from the animes themselves, they are all in generic maze-y battlefields and a meaningless original story. You can unlock the anime scenarios as bonus things but they also take place in generic battlefields. Also, they ditched space maps entirely for some reason (not that they were functionally very different from land maps).

Also, chopping through hundreds of Zakus or whatever never ever felt particularly Gundam-y to me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 5, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

The first Dynasty Warriors game was a fighter.
Its part of the reason why I thought it was funny that people were excited about the fighting feature in the WiiU version of Orochi 3. They stopped making fighting games after the first one because they were terrible at it. Orochi Z also has a fighting mode and it is also no good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TTBF posted:

I'm still waiting for them to have more G Gundam characters and suits. I'd be satisfied just with that. Those are the characters most suited to the musou formula and they've got only two G Gundam suits.
Yeah, as soon as I saw God Gundam and Master Gundam in the first game I was like "ok this game doesn't need to have any other Gundam series in it, these are the only ones that actually make sense to include".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

U.T. Raptor posted:

There's a lot of weirdness like that, like how Lunamaria doesn't actually have her own mobile suit.
Don't be silly! She has Char's custom Zaku.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also, a total lack of Allenby and the Nobel Gundam :colbert:
Yeah, that is a serious issue.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

The real charm to Jin's campaign were the characters themselves, rather than the events of it. I found the entire Jin cast list to be chock full of really fun characters with interesting play styles that were just so different from the rank and file of the other three. I kept expecting the game to give me a character who was absolutely awful to play as, but it just never happened. This might be due to the fact that Jin had a much lesser cast size than the other three kingdoms due to the late game nature, but it sort of felt they had this "everyone has to have something unique" angle.

That's why I'm super excited for Dynasty Warriors 8 putting a huge focus on Jin, because the cast list for the kingdom was an all-time favorite for me and I'd love to see more of it. The Simas are my favorite characters in DW now because of Jin. Whether it's good ol' Sima Yi laughing as he nukes dudes, Sima Shi channeling Lelouch Lamperouge, or Sima Zhao's soldier surfboard, I'm totally down for more Sima family antics.
Sima Zhao is my least favorite of them, but he's also the lead. I run into this problem a lot in Japanese games these days...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, I'm ready to kill a third of China all over again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Famitsu gave Shin Hokuto Musou 37/40. Does anyone remember what they gave the first one?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, so they actually reflected the slight bit of improvement I saw to the game, just from the demo. Too bad they started so high to start with though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Naw, adults (= voters) play video games now, so talking about banning them doesn't make any sense anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chortles posted:

he also played non-stop video games, "Dynasty Warriors," which I understand is an especially brutal game
Well it is. No other game matches the body count of a DW game, not even close.