Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors title since 7 and I've had a hankering to get back into it for 8; would you recommend I start with empires or XL? I read the last few pages of the thread and it sounds like empires is pretty drat different from XL based on written descriptions, and both kind of sound cool as hell. I'll be renting on console, so price isn't an issue.

The empire-building and character-creating aspect sounds appealing to me so I'm leaning towards Empires but I figured I'd ask in case there was some kind of overwhelming "XL is a classic that if you miss out on you should kill yourself" opinion or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lotish posted:

That would explain why I haven't encountered the bug, then.

Mainline DW games are more story and mission driven, whereas Empires basically drops 98% of that for what is essentially a really fun board game.

edit: Question. What exactly are the terms for a Narrow Victory during a defensive battle? Sometimes I take the enemy main base down to 0 and don't win, other times I do. And sometimes I can lose a base and win and others its Narrow. My whole kingdom (1/3 of China) was reduced to just me and 2 guys at one point because I kept getting Narrow Victories and wasn't sure why.

I don't care about story in DW at this point, but I do kind of enjoy some of the structured missions and setpieces; does Empires do a good job of keeping battles more interesting than "this is your base and this is their base, go get their base"?

Not that it matters because I already bought empires on a whim because the idea of Romance of the three kingdoms with DW battles kind of gives me a semi, but I'm curious to know what I'll be getting into when I play it after work.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

grrarg posted:

From the PS Store thread:

IGN's description posted:

Players can chose to experience a realistic depiction of this period through the game's normal mode or choose to explore a fictitious original narrative in 'Nightmare' mode. In 'Nightmare' mode, the war between England and France wages on as a mysterious horde of outlandish creatures appear to be led by a form of Joan of Arc, who has turned evil.

:allears:

I guess I'm glad that bladestorm is getting some attention; it was a cool idea that I'd like to have seen done better, but it sounds like this is just going to be a prettied-up remake and also dragons (if you want them).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Forsooth, witherest did thou come?

Everyone talks like the guy from the first Two Worlds game only with a bad French accent.

As long as the crazy Swedish player character voice is still in the game, I'm happy

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drakenel posted:

Silly CAW units popping up little rebellions all over the place.

So far I've executed the majority of the teen titans and the final fantasy 10 cast. It's kinda funny to have tidus begging me to join my kingdom after I executed yuna and everyone else in the game that they put in.

Do CAW units just pop up randomly, or do they only come from characters made by people on your friends list?

I like the idea of encountering random CAW units, but I don't think I have any friends who play DW games.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drakenel posted:

I've never executed so many before.

You say "drawback" but I hear "benefit".

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rutibex posted:

The old testament of the Bible would make a really excellent Musou game. Lots of characters with magic powers, or cool combat gimmicks, and tons of slaughter and genocide and huge battles. It would likely piss off too many people to make though :(

*Moses, get the Israelites to the escape point to win!*
*Pharaoh is advancing*
*Moses does his Musou attack, and parts the Egyptian army like the Red Sea* :black101:

I would play the hell out of that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PureRok posted:

I have it on PS3 and it was basically: Run around a field holding R2. Win.

Still gonna get it on Steam, but when it's on sale for like $20. $30 at the absolute maximum.

It's basically a game of rock paper scissors, where, if you're scissors, and you encounter a rock, you can look around for some paper and use that instead.

It's mindless fun in short bursts, it's nice because it's in a unique setting and it tries to do something a little different.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tae posted:

My main problem with Bladestorm is that it is very braindead easy even compared to Dynasty Warriors. And worse, I don't feel like I'm getting satisfying feedback because most of them it's automated attacks, then moving on, kinda hit and kill the next enemy, etc.

Cavalry charges are kind of satisfying, but yeah, otherwise I agree.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rutibex posted:

I am going to take this literally and assume this means we are getting Cowboys and Indians Warriors.

I cannot foresee any potential backlash to this game, I say lets do it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I started playing DQH; should I just be spending my gold on new gear as soon as I can afford it, or is there stuff I should be saving it for? Can I ignore crafting until the endgame, or is that something I need to be paying attention to throughout the whole game?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Didn't Koei say they were working on a western IP game a while ago?

Iliad Warriors when

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh wow, I thought I was joking

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How long is Berserk (the game)? It looks interesting and different enough from the existing titles to catch my interest but if it only has 8 characters, I'm balking hard at that $60 price tag.

Does it do anything different from the usual 'fight hordes of soldiers and sometimes an officer' formula of the Musou series, or is it just more of the same with a violent anime palette swap? I'm not really familiar with the anime apart from "it stars a guy with a big sword and the story is apparently very grimdark" so I dunno if this game switches it up by having you kill dragons or storm castles or something.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hmm...I'm tempted but that still doesn't quite sound worth $60 to me. I'll just wait for a sale, or, more likely, buy it impulsively while drunk, like I get most of my musou games

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Goddamn, Berserk musou is loving metal as hell. I have not enjoyed the first level of a game this much since God of War 2.

And I'm tempted again

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Me too, George Washington was like 15 feet tall and bashing dozens of redcoats aside with his cherry tree axe in an endless sea of brawling British and Colonials.

What I'm saying is Dynasty Warriors 1776 must happen.

Koei made an American revolution strategy game for snes I think didn't they? There's precedent for this to happen

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's uhhhhh bullet time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Did Zeus have wings?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Looks like the musou games are part of the steam summer sale. If were to only buy one of Samurai Warriors 4-II or Spirit of Sanada, which should I get?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't necessarily mind limited character selection if the rest of the game is engaging enough (honestly in these games I lean towards the same 2 or 3 archetypes all the time anyway).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve got an empires craving; between DW8 and SW4, is either of them significantly better than the other, or is it just a matter of taste?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

What do you play for? DW8 has the better story modes and general production values, SW4 has better gameplay and is more challenging in general.

I was asking about the empires versions of each in particular; it’s hard to describe exactly what I’m looking for, but I guess I’m interested in scratching the itch if kingdom-running and map painting, in that order. I’m not sure if they’re each essentially the same game in different settings, or if there are substantial differences between them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bloodly posted:

He's never really changed. Others have, and have come up to his level and possibly beyond in terms of killing.

There's still nothing quite like learning the hard way in the early games not to pursue him at Hu Lao gate, and then encountering him in battle later on in a campaign and thinking "you want me to fight him now??"

That said, at this point in my life I do find myself preferring the power fantasy later games where you rack up 1,000 kills in the first 2 minutes of a battle

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yeah, I got the DW8/XL complete package on Steam a while ago. Had plenty of fun with it. A little soured when I realized 8 Empires had no english dub, though. I'm one of those people that just can't enjoy the game without a dub.

If it helps, nobody in Empires ever really says anything worth hearing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is wo4 worth playing if I haven’t played 3? Or is 3 still the best one?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Koei did an American revolution game didn’t they? George Washington wouldn’t be the most inexplicable character to show up in a musou game

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Lucky for me that HUNG YUNG GAI is only 13 characters including spaces

He Man is a stock dynasty warriors character, so how do you improve upon perfection

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The god of war is named Floyd

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was gonna read Romance of the Three Kingdoms now that the new total war has kind of rekindled that spark but now that I know the TV show is free on youtube I might just do that instead, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I was reading the wikipedia article for Liu Bei, and there's a brief part which addresses the controversy of whether he was the inventor of shoes, and now I'm even more intrigued

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lmao

Good thing I always get so bored by that game that I’ve never actually made any real progress in it anyway (but I want to like it so badly that I try once a month or so anyway)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fire Emblem: Three Kingdoms

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vichan posted:

Koei made a WW2 strategy game at one point, I'll pay good money for World War II Warriors.

They also made an American revolution game: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_or_Death_(video_game)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I had to switch the VA to Chinese because I couldn’t stand the English version, yeah. I don’t speak Chinese so I have no idea if that VA is any better, but at least it’s appropriate to the setting.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The only fire emblem game I've played is Three Houses, so I don't know who any of the characters in FEW are or what it is about fates you don't like that might carry over, but if you like musou games and fire emblem, I cannot imagine you will dislike Fire Emblem Warriors.

If you've played Hyrule Warriors, the character-building mechanics are more similar to that than any of the DW games I've played, but otherwise the game is exactly what you think it's going to be. The story's a bit of a mess, probably because it expects me to have some kind of pre-existing knowledge of who any of these people are (I recognize marth from smash bros, but that's it) but I didn't come in expecting to care about that

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

I really need to play Hyrule Warriors. I wish the drat price would drop, I don't want to spend $60 but it'd probably end up being my most played game on the system, so blah.

I really enjoy the game a lot. It's a very slick and fun musou game, while also managing to feel slightly like a Zelda game (occasional boss-type enemies you have to defeat by using a particular item or observing a pattern). I'm still plugging through the campaign, which is fun, but the adventure mode seems like it's even better (though I'm a little flummoxed by the map, but I haven't really spent much time with it yet). Worth the $60 I paid for it imo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

drat, is the PW3 PC port really that bad (from a technical standpoint)? I haven't played it yet but bought it in a steam sale.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A lot of people on twitter being disappointed that the new breath of the wild game is a musou game but those people are wrong

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I love Hyrule Warriors a lot, even in comparison to the musou games I've played. I think they did a good job adding the boss-type characters into the mix too, to make the whole thing feel a little more zelda-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I finally finished Spirit of Sanada after having it in my steam backlog for ages and I thought it was really good, I wish I'd played it sooner. I've played enough Dynasty Warriors games over the years to have a rough idea of how the three kingdoms era went (the romanticized version, anyway) but I don't really know anything about the Segoku period apart from the big names, and haven't really played an SW game since the first one so all of those characters have been a bit of a mystery to me, it was fun to have a game that just tells a chronological story from beginning to end. And as much as Yukimura earns his status as the main character of Japan in these games, I thought Masayuki was way more intriguing, I sort of forgot that guy existed. The farming, exploring, and fishing in the castle town made for fun little interludes in between battles too, even if I didn't really care much about the material rewards.

I didn't love how brown and muddy most of the maps were but I guess a lot of Musou games suffer from that, I suppose I'm just spoiled by ghost of tsushima in terms of what a romanticized samurai playground can look like. Also as much as I liked the story, it's kind of funny that a 25-hour long game about one family still had significant gaps in it, according to the 10 minutes of wikipediaing I've been doing to fill them in. For example, Yukimura had several wives and children, and apparently there was a fellow named Hideyori Toyotomi who might have been worth mentioning at some point in this saga in which the Toyotomi clan played a major part (looks like he's even in other SW games so it's a little puzzling to leave him out).

But whatever, it was a fun video game that kept me wanting to see what happened next, what more can you ask for. Japanese-only audio made it a little hard to track what people were saying mid-battle at times, but it did mean I got to hear Kiryu Kazuma's dulcet tones whenever Hanzo showed up so it's good, actually

Also, this track owns