Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So I "finished" Chronicle Mode in that I got intimate (;)) with all the officers, and I beat the challenge level that comes after. But my biographies are at 98%. I apparently am missing some generics, I guess? How the hell will I know where to run into them?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Lunethex posted:

Zhang Liao will never be the same without Chris Redfield voicing him.

Same with Japanese Sima Yi and the late Tsuyoshi Takeshita. In his place will be Ryotaro Okiayu, the voice of Sima Shi. :gbsmith:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there anyway to 100% trigger the triangle instant death move on officers in SW4, it seems pretty random but is required for some of the treasure drops. Also, when it says 'musou fury' does that mean the rage gauge musou or the red health one?

You have to have them stunned when they have about a quarter of health left. That's called a Mighty Strike, which is a finishing move.

You can also pull the same attack against them after stunning them with a perfectly timed block, but that isn't a guaranteed kill.

Morter fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 4, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is it just me or does trying to access the PSN shop from in game in SW4 just give you a blank screen

It's not just you. Hell, I can't even see anything but the old costumes in the PS3's version of the game store, even through the Playstation Store app (?). I had to buy the extra stage DLC through the PS Vita version which, thankfully, entitles you to the DLC on all platforms.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Vincent posted:

Naotora Li has a fun gameplay and weapons, but her personality and character model suck so bad. She is basically the worst things to come from anime.

Gomen nasai! :ohdear:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

The same jerks that thought that Alactrity--which gives you the all-health-and-musou-recovering wine for 500 combo hits, translated it as giving you the winged boots :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Question though: how do I get different colored keystones? I apparently get them from beating levels, I understand that, because I have about 10 red keystones right now and every stage I've been in has been a red keystone level. But I can't unlock the other levels because I don't have any purple/yellow/cyan keystones, and I'm not sure how to get them. Does changing the stage contents change the keystones it'll drop?

Gauntlet Mode is meant to be played through "four times". Red Keystones are the first you unlock and that unlocks I believe yellow keystones, which expand the floors and give you more difficult levels. Beating Gauntlet mode for the second time will grant you the third types of keystone, once more will unlock the fourth keystone. The oddest thing is that Hundun--the Gauntlet Boss shows up only in the red keystone area, so if you want to "beat all of the gauntlet mode levels" for trophies sake, completing any of the blue and yellow ones for the second and third playthroughs are completely inconsequential and pointless. I wouldn't even use them for farming: I got all of my farming for materials and most of my officer searching done in my first playthrough. It was only into some yellow keystone levels that I got my last few, but I'm sure that you can just pick a level and change the contents of it to reset the officer roster showing up there, and try farming that way.

So yes, if you want to complete all of the gauntlet levels, just rush to your fourth playthrough (rush to clear the red stages until you get to the next floor, repeating till you find Hundun: both of which should be easy, they should be the floors without any officers/"???"s in the enemy officer slots), then once you unlock all four keystone types, just have fun rushing/mowing through the levels.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Yeah it took me a while to find Orochi, Kyubi, and Tamamo.

But they aren't that necessary when the real Gauntlet mode destroyers are Xu Shu, Ginchiyo, Kaguya, Ayane, etc...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ginchiyo and Kaguya are the ones I use to spam R1 if I don't feel like being in infinite musou

But certain characters, namely Ayane, Kaguya and Tamamo--with AoE, multi-hitting musou are a beast if you give them Bombast, which triggers 10 second infinite musou every 500 hits. Basically you can run around getting chests, killing enemies, farming drops, whatever. The enemy flow only starts to slow down after around 3500 kills, so that's plenty of time to hope for either sworn allies or unique drops. It also completely kills much of any challenge. But then again, I feel like with how peons can one shot maxed out officers, that using game-breaking techniques like that is the logical conclusion to "beating" Gauntlet mode.

Also, my fastest characters have 370+ speed :flashfact:

Morter fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 10, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Vincent posted:

I'm missing two officer bios in Chronicle Mode in SW4, the one betwwen Kozuke Anayama and Motozane Anbe. The second is the one between Katatane Shirai and Munezane Shiroishi. Anyone knows where to find them on the map?

I'm still struggling with #311. All signs point to Tokugawa or Date but after grinding and fighting everyone related to the two I'm having no luck.

Also this might help

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

While it's mostly manageable to have a lengthy musou with Osmosis, Bombast makes it easy because every 500 hits, your musou bar maxes out and stays there for ten extra seconds. So rather than you having to having to charge attack, Bombast + a high combo musou (like Ayane) means lots more time to run around getting chests and hunting down officers or materials. As well, Ayane and a few others have Thrift, which "lessen the amount of musou used", which translates into longer musou. It's easy to find something that works but they tend to default to Samurai-types with long, multi-hitting musou attacks. For example no one mentions Tamamo but she's my favorite. So yeah, whatever works for you, because it all comes out to the same ending: breaking Gauntlet mode.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

You're right but it'll also make the rest of the battle harder for you and your army.

Also if you just want to run around and kill poo poo? Chronicle Mode.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

The DLC Gauntlet stages are almost cheating, went into one that said "Sworn Allies are waiting in treasure chests!" and it seems like every sworn ally item I got was someone I hadn't gotten yet, since the number of characters I had was pretty huge, it seems like they're deliberately programmed to only have ones you haven't gotten yet in them.

You have entered the world of Pay-to-win, even in a single player game. Congratulations.

Edit: vvv Twelve by Pies bought the DLC. I would probably buy it too, but I have no luck finding it in the PS3's PSN stores :(

Morter fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 15, 2014

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm pretty sure every attack a character has is unlocked by level 20 or 21. So work towards that.

Also the gauntlet mode characters--while they use the same stats as the free mode/story mode characters, are unlocked in Gauntlet mode via a separate criteria: by defeating them in the dungeons and hoping they drop "Sworn Ally" items.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

How can I get more characters in SW4 Chronicle Mode? I only have Okuni, Goemon, Musashi and Kojiro, whom I fought in the first few missions.

Fight people enough times that their friendships are raised with you. You'll see them on the map with a golden helmet icon. Go to those and participate in the events. Once you reach the 3rd event (4 bars of friendship), they're able to be your secondary character partner. Once you reach full friendship (4 events, 5 bars), you can use their weapons on your own character (Everyone except Kotaro, it seems :v:)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I think the "choices" mattered in the DS Chronicle games, but in this it doesn't really affect anything. Friendship still goes up before or after the event.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I dunno I'd say cuddling with Nene in bed while Kato spies in the closet all pissed is like being on the right side of a cuckolding scene.

Also, Ginchiyo's vocal reactions to the food you bring her in the first or second scene sounds just plain lewd.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Policenaut posted:

DW8 XL Complete Edition is on sale today on Steam for 66% off, if you want to get your fix of Warriors on PC.

Have DW8 and XL on the PS3. Other than graphics, is there any substantial difference? Never actually played a warriors game on PC, but I've played everyone since 3 on the consoles :shobon:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Davincie posted:

nah, graphics are even the same as on ps3. we'll i guess we got japanese voices for free and idk the status of that on consoles

Yeah DW8XL has free (they've always been free for every game) Japanese VAs. But if there's really no difference, I'll stick to my PS3.

Still can't wait for empires though :fap:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

The One Piece musou series is pretty interesting. The first game was fairly mediocre with some outright bad ideas, but it had some decent ideas (like making every character totally distinct). Then 2 came along and is basically one of the best Musou games when it comes to the pure mechanics side of things, with every character having FULL COMBO STRINGS (not just different charge attacks), multiple Musous, awakenings, status effects, all sorts of really cool poo poo. I can't wait to see what they'll bring to the table with 3, if they keep up the same level of improvement they did from 1->2 it's bound to be amazing.

As someone who's played every console DW, and SW 1, 2, and 4 to death each, is One Piece Musou 2 recommended? The only musou offshoots I've tried are Gundam 3 and Fist of the North Star. The latter I loved, the former I sent back in days. So right now spinoffs are hit/miss for me. :(

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

For some reason I saw this release date on wiki (and wikia) articles well before this article came out.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Sefal posted:

is that recently linked youtube playlist of the three kingdoms good? I'm inclined to watch it when I'm bored

It's worth it just to see Cao Cao make a total fool out of Yuan Shao. The entire build-up, the reveal, is glorious.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Brony Hunter posted:

Most of the Shu and Wu scenes really drag, especially the endless debates about Jingzhou. Zhang Fei and Pang Tong are hillarious and quite refreshing, however.

The main draw is obviously the Wei stuff. Cao Cao is basically the main character for the first third or so of the show, and the last third is all about Sima Yi. They're both great characters, and Cao Pi and his attempts at scheming and winning his father's favour are quite fun to watch too.

Does Sima Yi at all ham it up, or is enjoyable? Or is he an insufferable villain like most dramas make him out to be? I actually stopped about halfway through the series, but I'll gladly pick it up again!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

So who's the lobster boy in that video?

Is...is that Ranmaru in the top center? :stare:

Pretty sure that's Aya.

Not sure who's on the right corner, Next to Ginchiyo and behind Ina.

Edit: Naotora is certainly the catgirl on the bottom.

:goonsay:

Morter fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 8, 2015

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh, it's Okuni!

Edit: :argh:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

How is the combat in that game? I'm not at all a Gundam fan (not that I hate it, just am ignorant to it), and I tried out Gundam 3 and wasn't very impressed at all.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Considering picking up one of the officer and soldier costume packs to freshen up my Ambition run with Dynasty Warriors 8, is there a image source that actually shows what I am getting as the STEAM store screenshots are annoyingly lacking?

The KOEI Wikia tends to have pictures of every costume depicted, at least in the recent games.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Or Nobunaga in all of them, as he is a confirmed crossdresser. :swoon:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Goddamned millenials never reading the in-game digital manuals :argh:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Empires games never have the Story/Free mode of the base games. They are their own standalone games (no MixJoy or anything), with a unique mode revolving around conquering a landmass with both might, strategy and policies.

SW2:Empires was the best, in my opinion, in terms of policies and that the AI played by the same rules as the player. Ever since then, the AI has always cheated in one way or another.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

This was posted in the Imp Zone thread.

It's not actually real, but it's still the most :allears: thing I've seen today.

I just have to post this because I'm on SA and this is from SA and we're all talking about Zelda CD-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj8_7OFK0oc

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Largepotato posted:

Han Dang appeared and ....

I had forgotten

:mmmhmm:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Buy those first two for now, and if you like DW8XL's fighting style and what not, get the Empires spinoff coming out soon

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

No, that's perfect. It's the kind of hype that I can't stand, because it will make time go on longer as I can't wait to do every single thing mentioned.

I've kind of stopped using my PS3--it using my big screen doesn't seem to matter. I'm all about steam games (And Monster Hunter 4 on the 3DS :swoon:) so I'm actually torn on which system to get it for...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So any word on the steamdb for DW8:E? I'm meaning to get it for PC :ohdear:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Bloodly posted:

Yes, but ONLY for Empires. They've been attached to characters, replacing the old weapons outright as their Ex weapon. The old weapons are available for create-a-characters. Palm Tree is Meng Huo, Flame Blade is Sun Quan. Bench is Liu Chan. Emei Piercers are Wang Yi. Duck Hooks are Lianshi. Bladebow is Yueying. Revolver Crossbow is Deng Ai. Fans are Da Qiao. Sabatons are Guan Suo. I forget who the Thunder Blade was assigned to.)

I'm glad I got most of this 'right' :mmmhmm:.

Why the hell does Liu Shan get the bench? I had it as Deng Ai's sub-weapon, seeing as he likes to stretch and stuff.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

"Oh, cute, someone made a Gracia edit, and---:stonk:"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So can I expect Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires on Steam tomorrow? :ohdear:

Edit: Was stupid enough to watch the trailer (to see if the mention PC at the end), and heard Sima Yi's new voice. Instant tears. :cry:

Double Edit: Urrgh...27th for PC. Don't know which system I should get it for. Maybe if the Steam version has co-op capabilities, I'd get it for that, but I do want it ASAP. drat it.

Morter fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 24, 2015

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Bloodly posted:

Because in a time of deep conservatism and isolation, he broke everything.

Samurai are the ruling class? He gives a gently caress about the lesser troops and equips them well.
Japan tends to be isolationist? He gives foreigners the time of day, and takes their stuff if it's good stuff.
Bow, blade, and horse are the primary weapons? He's the first to use guns, and even works out how to offset the slow fire rate for continuous fire.
He also specifically set out for 'world conquest'. 'Tenka Fubu'; to unify the entire land by force. Nearly does it, too.

This basically all combines, you notice.

Basically, they both hate and love him for everything he was. So they make him capable enough that he can do pretty much anything he sets himself to. Send him to hell? He'll rule it, or at least be high up.

I swear, 10 years ago in DW3 and SW1, Cao Cao and Nobunaga seemed written and played straight as Villains or at least power hungry warlords. But as time goes on, KOEI makes them more sympathetic and lovable (yes, I said it) to the point that them being both extremely capable rulers, and more human than "BENEVOLENCE!" makes them the obvious choice on who to root for. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Well I can already speak of one bug:

I went through the gallery to hear Sima Yi's new lines. Nowhere near as impactful as the original Sima Yi (R.I.P.), but then I went to his enemy officer defeated line and...heard a Cao Cao line.

Then I went to Cao Cao's enemy officer defeated line and it sounded like Sima Yi grumbling about something??

I haven't played as anyone yet but I hope this is just a gallery bug and not a real mixup...

Edit: Oh yeah, huge voice mixup. Zhang Jiao has the voice of Lianshi or someone.

:negative:

Morter fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 25, 2015