Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Kylaer posted:

Erebus has an eight-pointed fidget spinner. It makes the most annoying sound imaginable, and he flicks it constantly.

I only know Erebus from teatd but I lovethat shitbag so much.

He is like Deadpool but back before he was played by a likeable international film star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

notaspy posted:

I only know Erebus from teatd but I lovethat shitbag so much.

He is like Deadpool but back before he was played by a likeable international film star.

Nah, Deadpool is insane. Erebus is not, he's just an absolute evil prick, he knows it and enjoys it very much.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Erebus is the best because he's the worst. Such a shitbag and so much fun because of it.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Magnus, in the midst of his impassioned plea for understanding at the Council of Nikaea, fixes his sole eye on Erebus, sitting in the front row of the amphitheater. Erebus is chewing bubblegum, and as Magnus watches, he blows an enormous bubble that, in defiance of physics, forms an eight-pointed star before bursting loudly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I think that there can be some overlap between enuncia and words of power in general if we allow ourselves to be a little less prescriptive about authoritarial intent. Reading everything through the lens of what GW would allow or what one author knows about the other can be a bit limiting, sometimes a thing is a thing because it would be neat.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So what do you guys think Erdas whole magic thing dealio was

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

So what do you guys think Erdas whole magic thing dealio was

My guess is something similar to how the Wolves, White Scars, and eldar channel the warp. Some sort of lens/filter.

Not that we'll ever get anything more about her.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Shroud posted:

My guess is something similar to how the Wolves, White Scars, and eldar channel the warp. Some sort of lens/filter.

Not that we'll ever get anything more about her.

It would be cool if her magic came through Terra like the wolves with Fenris and she showed up in 40k and her magic was all hosed up because as bad off as Terra was in 30k it's a million times worse in 40k.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think Erda having interactions with the Primarchs would be an interesting angle. Roboute has huge hangups from his childhood and doesn't consider the Emperor his real father.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Isn't Erda dead dead? Like, stabbed with a magic knife dead?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Erebus'd

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/21/sunday-preview-the-tau-empire-needs-you/

Do you want some books? Of course ya do!

Next weekend is a mixed bag of paperback and anthology releases.

First up there's War for the Mortal Realms, an anthology containing stories by Chris Wraight, Josh Reynolds, and Darius Hinks.

Then Yndrasta: The Celestial Spear by Noah Van Nguyen is getting a paperback release at last.

For those who haven't gotten The End and The Death: Volume II yet, it's also getting a paperback release.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Off screen

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Allegedly

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Erda with the star child leading the other imperium faction that forms on the otherside of the rift. You heard it here first.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

For all the things you can say about Erebus, you can't say he's not good at stabbing people.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Kylaer posted:

For all the things you can say about Erebus, you can't say he's not good at stabbing people.

Yeah, he has an impressive track record at stabbing people in the back but not so much when the victim can defend himself. Let's all remember when he was thwarted by a servitor pounding him in the face.

All jokes aside, GW/authors love this kind of ambiguous states for characters. It's basically their way of opening up the possibility to brin them back in the future with minimal retconning.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I am pretty sure the current intention at BL is to leave Erda dead. Not to say they won’t change their minds later, but Erebus’s internal monologue sure seems to think she’s dead (iow he’s not just lying about killing her to someone else). She’s too major and important a character to be alive.

Then again, LE2 is alive, unambiguously, and that’s pretty weird. They might have plans for him. His death in TEATD was extremely predictable and so when it kept not happening I was pretty shocked.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I am pretty sure the current intention at BL is to leave Erda dead. Not to say they won’t change their minds later, but Erebus’s internal monologue sure seems to think she’s dead (iow he’s not just lying about killing her to someone else). She’s too major and important a character to be alive.

Then again, LE2 is alive, unambiguously, and that’s pretty weird. They might have plans for him. His death in TEATD was extremely predictable and so when it kept not happening I was pretty shocked.

You gotta hand it to LE2, getting facetime with the Big Four and not immediately going mad is a pretty neat trick.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

You gotta hand it to LE2, getting facetime with the Big Four and not immediately going mad is a pretty neat trick.

Well, he is literally built different.

Also, the Old Four's attention had bigger fish to fry for a moment.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

They didn't want to eat him for fear of lead poisoning.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Z the IVth posted:

He was having a bad enough day as it was. I even expected Nurgle to give him some of his popcorn and a little pat in the back.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I bet Leetu gets handed to Cawl for his early experiments that turn into primaris marines. Hell, he could be Alpha Primus for all we know.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really hope Erda and LE2 show up in Unification Wars.

And that we get Unification Wars.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fearless posted:

I bet Leetu gets handed to Cawl for his early experiments that turn into primaris marines. Hell, he could be Alpha Primus for all we know.

That would not shock me at all

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fearless posted:

That's my theory

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cawl cares about Alpha Primus too much for him to be LE2. He made AP from scratch and thinks of him as a son.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

He’s also been memory wiped enough that he’s not entirely sure what he does know about himself let alone his projects.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

wiegieman posted:

Cawl cares about Alpha Primus too much for him to be LE2. He made AP from scratch and thinks of him as a son.

Alpha Primus is Cawl and LE2's secret lovechild

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Fearless posted:

Hell, he could be Alpha Primus for all we know.

This would be hillarious tbh

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Erebus is so obviously evil that it's almost beyond belief that anyone ever trusted him...they really should have put in some scenes of him being charismatic or useful or...anything, really.

Even if the tentacles and flies and poo poo didn't put you off Chaos, the fact that Erebus was advocating it should have made the luna wolves go 'no thanks, I'm good.'

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Erebus turns over a tarot card, revealing a beautifully drawn artwork of you being stabbed in the back by a delighted-looking Erebus.

You: Is this bad?

Erebus: It's allegorical, my friend.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 23, 2024

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

von Metternich posted:

Erebus is so obviously evil that it's almost beyond belief that anyone ever trusted him...they really should have put in some scenes of him being charismatic or useful or...anything, really.

Even if the tentacles and flies and poo poo didn't put you off Chaos, the fact that Erebus was advocating it should have made the luna wolves go 'no thanks, I'm good.'

I mean, he almost casually brings back Cyrene/Acteae from being loving dead to try and get Argel Tal on board before Kansas City Shuffling him into being knifed on the back. Ideally the plot would always play on his viperous ability to read people and exploit their weak points, but most of the time he's just going "Mwahahaha, behold the Maaaster of Puppets!". Argel Tal had a very powerful vunerability in being a melancholy/wrathful personality obsessed with his own failures. Likewise, Horus' boundless confidence and genius had an undercurrent of intense doubts and insecurities for Erebus to work with. But it takes time and effort to set that up.

It's the same reason comic book writers prefer to write Joker stories than Riddler stories. One requires you to think up interesting/smart puzzles and riddles and plots, the other can more easily be taken care of by spending an afternoon thinking of entertainingly hosed-up, random cruelty.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
He was pretty much a bro in Horus Rising, but it's a very compressed book compared to the massive sprawl of the rest of the series, so there isn't much screen time for him

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Erebus absolutely sucks rear end in Horus Rising! He steals the Anathame and sets off the whole war!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Right but the other characters didn't know that, I should have made that clear. To the Sons of Horus he was a good-natured dude who came closer than anyone else to defeating Lucius in a sword duel.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Loken did it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Loken didn't fight a sword duel :madmax: