Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Kvlt! posted:

ive been really digging the Battlefleet Gothic games and i was wondering are there any 40k books that focus on space battles? and if so which are the best ones?

There are 2 or 3, but they are like 15-20 years old and I don't think they're available as pdfs. I bought them as paperback more than a decade ago and read through them but I can't really tell you much about them so they must have been mostly forgettable. I know I enjoyed reading them, just not memorable experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

They tend to be parts of other stories rather than the focus in their own right, unfortunately.

The second book in the Ultramarines omnibus has a good one against the tyranids. The first Grey Knights book has an absolute belter of one as the opening set piece of the final act. The second Black Legion book has one against the Black Templars. The third book in the Space Wolves omnibus has a very flavourful one near the start. Salvation's Reach, fairly deep into the Gaunt's Ghosts series, is about one... if boarding actions are your jam.

There are at least two specific Battlefleet Gothic books, maybe more. They're some of the very first 40K novels the Black Library ever put out, if I remember correctly; that arm of the company might not have even been formalised enough to be known as that at that point. There is an excellent reading of the first one on A Border Prince's youtube.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thanks everyone!! the Heresy is keeping me busy rn but that youtube channel with someone narrating sounds perfect to listen to as i have a road trip coming up

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kvlt! posted:

ive been really digging the Battlefleet Gothic games and i was wondering are there any 40k books that focus on space battles? and if so which are the best ones?

Sea of Souls came out recently and it's quite good. The main characters are the command staff of an Imperial battlecruiser going through some difficulties.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I’ve read both renegade books, and it seems like it’s gonna be a cool side brand that tells isolated stories.

Maybe not a brand. You know what I mean.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Has anyone read Deathworlder? I haven’t seen anything about it.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
+1 recommendation for Lord of Excess. Lots of cool chaos stuff, not too much weird sex stuff, always good to see two non-Imperial factions fighting (cult of the Warmason had a very similar plot, which I also recommend.)

I like how the populace, as far as I can tell, never really figured out that these are chaos space marines, they just figure space marines are Like That.

Also the setting is an agri-world that specifically grows rejuvenat drugs, which is a cool side of the Imperium we haven’t seen much.

I also liked how we didn’t need to spend most of the book on “what’s a genestealer?” everyone picks up on the basics pretty quickly even if they think it’s a mutant psyker uprising or something, and the local security forces show some basic competence!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Kvlt! posted:

If you can find some :filez: I remember the Imperial Armour Vraks books had some excellent space warfare. Possibly the Badab books too.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

mllaneza posted:

Sea of Souls came out recently and it's quite good. The main characters are the command staff of an Imperial battlecruiser going through some difficulties.

Heeheehee.

Seconded the recommendation, it is a decent stand-alone book.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I enjoyed Sea of Souls as well, had a couple very fun space battles.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
'Betrayer' has the flag-captain of the World Eaters fleet as one of the POV characters, and shows two separate, massive voidfights in decent detail.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sanford posted:

If you can find some :filez: I remember the Imperial Armour Vraks books had some excellent space warfare. Possibly the Badab books too.

I wish they'd rerelease some of the old Imperial Armour books, they were gorgeous

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The first Night Lords book has the NL warship pulling some nasty high G maneuvers to specifically screw with Imperial Navy targets

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

YouTube has recommended a video to me from some dude being upset that GW has been lost to the woke.

I thought it was a parody to start off with. Nope, fully sincere bullshit about the Cultural Marxists at Vanguard and Blackrock forcing esg/dei on the world.

I would feel sorry for these people if it wasn't that they are such poisonous pricks.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Solar War is space battle focused.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

von Metternich posted:

+1 recommendation for Lord of Excess. Lots of cool chaos stuff, not too much weird sex stuff, always good to see two non-Imperial factions fighting (cult of the Warmason had a very similar plot, which I also recommend.)

I really liked the description of what noise marine attacks are actually like. loving weird, as they should be.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

notaspy posted:

YouTube has recommended a video to me from some dude being upset that GW has been lost to the woke.

I thought it was a parody to start off with. Nope, fully sincere bullshit about the Cultural Marxists at Vanguard and Blackrock forcing esg/dei on the world.

I would feel sorry for these people if it wasn't that they are such poisonous pricks.

They are dumb as all hell, but they are also a product of the youtube algorithm rewarding divisive video content, so the problem is both individual stupidity and systemic

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mark Kern got run into the ground over his idiotic twitter statements about Helldivers 2 so now he's moved onto screaming about 40K hoping he'll find a new bastion of the anti-woke and its going about as well as the first run around.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

finished Horus Heresy book 1! Now onto book 2! They really do go down smooth.

could i get a quick tldr on all the controversy going on? i feel like i got into this lore/hobby and ppl on social media are all upset and i have no idea whats going on lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kvlt! posted:

could i get a quick tldr on all the controversy going on? i feel like i got into this lore/hobby and ppl on social media are all upset and i have no idea whats going on lol
Some of the Emperor’s special buddy bodyguards were revealed to be :females:

This kills the West.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

Some of the Emperor’s special buddy bodyguards were revealed to be :females:

This kills the West.

wait is that really it LMAO i love the lore and games but that is some weapons grade CHUDerry

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

wait is that really it LMAO i love the lore and games but that is some weapons grade CHUDerry
Pretty much. Apparently the Custodes codex also sucks rear end, but for nerf reasons

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kvlt! posted:

1, 2, 3 are like a perfect linear trend downwards in quality, then everything else is all over the place.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

yeah I’m doing a reread and that’s accurate. 1 is good, 2 is bad, 3 is awful, 4 is aggressively meh, and from there it’s up and down. You can reliably skip anything involving dark angels or salamanders as the worst of a bad lot.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wish they'd rerelease some of the old Imperial Armour books, they were gorgeous

You are quite correct, they’re lovely. Too heavy to read easily tbh but they’re great just to leaf through. I have most of them:

(Sorry for the bad picture but I can’t be bothered to get up or indeed move very much)

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Sanford posted:

You are quite correct, they’re lovely. Too heavy to read easily tbh but they’re great just to leaf through. I have most of them:

(Sorry for the bad picture but I can’t be bothered to get up or indeed move very much)

Is premium ink cartridge an army or a campaign?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The thought of re-reading the heresy is, I think, inducing sensations of actual psychosis, but that might be because my initial readthrough took just a little more than a year. That's more than one book a week, and I also read a dozen non-heresy 40k books or so during that span of time.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Sanford posted:

Quit bragging about your ink cartridge.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ngl i love reading the heresy books bc theyre printed in that airport-paperback style which i just find delightful for some reason

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Nessus posted:

Pretty much. Apparently the Custodes codex also sucks rear end, but for nerf reasons

Given that Custodes was topping the win rate totem pole, is this "nerfed into being merely good instead of bullshit", or "nerfed into having maybe one funtcional build"?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Sephyr posted:

Given that Custodes was topping the win rate totem pole, is this "nerfed into being merely good instead of bullshit", or "nerfed into having maybe one funtcional build"?

Pretty much every major reviewer has been saying "this is the worst/weakest codex of like the last 5 years" as far as power level goes.

Like even the "functional build" got kneecapped.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sephyr posted:

Unclear but I think the boffins suggest the former. Their raw stats remain chonky.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Sephyr posted:

That's probably why superman uses them lol

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Nessus posted:

A friends that’s big into the game says it’s dreadful

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I think if people running other armies are going "Oh uh wow yikes", which sounds like the case, then it's a pretty bad nerf.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Improbable Lobster posted:

They’re in the Warhammer Vault, at least.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

by all accounts Custodes can, at best, hope to scrabble with marines, admech and CSM to avoid being the literal worst faction in the game, but in no universe are they out of the bottom 4-5

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Yvonmukluk posted:

They’re in the Warhammer Vault, at least.

Can't remember it's everyone though and not just a selective couple. I remember seeing Vraks and Badab War being added last year or something, but no idea if they've actually added more stuff or not.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Warhammer 40K the property created 40 years ago that, especially early on, featured such a density of on-the-nose commentary about monarchy, fascism, wealth inequality, and austerity politics that it took them the better part of two decades to start to actually become anything more than a Pink Floyd album given a scifi / punk counterculture twist: GONE WOKE?

notaspy posted:

Cultural Marxists at Vanguard and Blackrock

absolute insanity, unbelievable levels of complete disconnection from reality

Nessus posted:

Yeah we didn't need the nerfs. Our win rate is under 50-50 for a good reason, and it's not just because Custodes (and to a degree, Imperial Agents) have become a low-model-count introductory army over time.

Whatever, imo you shouldn't play 40K if you want to win win win all the time. This is a great opportunity to kitbash some leftover bananas with Golden Girls miniatures at a local antique flea market, so long as someone doesn't grab them first.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I saw custodes with a 54% rate right before the book dropped, but it's splitting hairs. Here's hoping the faction lands between the 45-50 range once the dust settles, or it gets a quick errata.

I don't really like the style/concept of custodes, but I like people's armies and fun being hosed over even less.