Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Z the IVth posted:

Would be an interesting point if the Emperor was the toxic masculine aspect he took for the final battle and he chucked off all the female/motherly bits as the Star Child.

He'd been the Emperor since...the start of the Unification Wars, I guess? Maybe a little before that? But even in the role of the Emperor he still had some amount of empathy, mercy and compassion, and he expelled those before the last battle.

I'm kind of curious, since prayer functions as a form of nourishment for Warp entities, if they're going to say that all the prayers of humanity for mercy and salvation have been going to the Star Child for the past ten thousand years, rather than the Emperor on the throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

My read on the emperor is a lot of these concepts discussed aren’t very relevant to him. If the shaman mass-suicide origin is still canon, he’s more of a soul gestalt than anything else, so any concept of individual identity may or may not have any bearing on him. To me, it also explains how he can shuck off various personality traits. It’s the whole dropping bits of itself. No real point in this musing, I just don’t think these are questions that need explicit answers.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Emperor can transition to and from an infinite forms at will.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Logar is potentially the most dangerous thing in the setting depending on what he's doing with that library of enuncia he's been collecting for the last 10,000 years

quote:

Some nerd on reddit posted:
For context, these quotes come from the book Pariah by Dan Abnett. More specifically, it comes from a scene in which a group of Word Bearers are working with Ecclesiarchy priests to test what happens if a blank tries speaking Enuncia.

"What words are these?" I demanded, pointing at the prayer drone. "What are they from?"

"They are our words," said one of the shadows behind the screen.

"They are words our lord wrote," said another.

"Who is your lord?" I asked.

"You will not speak his name," said the third.

"Then what is his book?" I asked.

"It is one book," said the first.

"In many volumes," said the second.

quote:

Right before this though, an Ecclesiarchy priest named Hodi got into an argument with one of the Word Bearers over the presence of a disruptive Pontifex. During this argument, Hodi implied that Lorgar has mastered Enuncia so thoroughly that he is able to create new words of power, something even the Emperor can't do.

"We do not tolerate him because he was once our noble lord. We worship him because he still is. He can see what we cannot. He is the greatest of us, and you should be ashamed that you do not appreciate his worth. Your master surely would have done. He would have coined for him a new Word all his own, to honour him"

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I feel myself getting Mad About Enuncia.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lorar is the once and future jobber

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think that post wildly misinterprets a few lines in Pariah. Lorgar has been writing scripture pretty much continuously since before the Heresy. His writing is sometimes called the Word of Lorgar (the Word Bearers bear the Word). There’s no hint that he’s building some kind of secret Enuncia vocabulary or making new Enuncia. In fact Enuncia words are called “unwords” in the text, not capital-W Words.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think that post wildly misinterprets a few lines in Pariah. Lorgar has been writing scripture pretty much continuously since before the Heresy. His writing is sometimes called the Word of Lorgar (the Word Bearers bear the Word). There’s no hint that he’s building some kind of secret Enuncia vocabulary or making new Enuncia. In fact Enuncia words are called “unwords” in the text, not capital-W Words.

It's this.

There's a few fellows who taken it wildly out of context and ran with it, because they are desperate for Lorgar to be relevant again in 40k.

Tbf, it's not helping that people have taken Shadow of the Past short story as gospel that Lorger's hiding in his little tower because he's terrified of Warp!Corax finishing the job.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Warden posted:

Tbf, it's not helping that people have taken Shadow of the Past short story as gospel that Lorger's hiding in his little tower because he's terrified of Warp!Corax finishing the job.

That's true, though :colbert: The last twelve billion pages of the Word of Lorgar just consist of "Can't sleep, Corax will eat me" scrawled over and over.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Corax comes back as a Daemon Clown. loving Primarchs, how do they work?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

loving Primarchs, how do they work?

- The Emperor to the Ruinous Powers, M.29

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

If they really wanted to shake up the setting in a way that a dictionary of eununcia would, they should introduce one of the lost primarchs leading their own unaligned faction.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Blue Raider posted:

If they really wanted to shake up the setting in a way that a dictionary of eununcia would, they should introduce one of the lost primarchs leading their own unaligned faction.

The trick is to find a way of 'shaking up the setting' which doesn't actually change anything on the tabletop.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Roller Coast Guard posted:

The trick is to find a way of 'shaking up the setting' which doesn't actually change anything on the tabletop.

Right. Which would mean they’d have to add another faction. Voltann just showed up, but the game is already bloated to hell as I understand it so 🤷‍♂️

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009
Just finished the Eisenhorn omnibus. First time reading any 40k novels and it was kickin rad. The best parts were the small moments of levity when Gregor would make a sarcastic comment or laugh. Really pops against the backdrop of a lovely, shiiiity universe.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Rakanakle posted:

Just finished the Eisenhorn omnibus. First time reading any 40k novels and it was kickin rad. The best parts were the small moments of levity when Gregor would make a sarcastic comment or laugh. Really pops against the backdrop of a lovely, shiiiity universe.

Ravenor Omnibus next, then Magos. They continue the "Abnettverse".

Or give Chris Wraight's books a whirl, if you want more plotting and politics with action interposed. Watchers of the Throne duology; Emperor's Legion and Regent's Shadow are really good, as is the Vaults of Terra trilogy consisting of Carrion Throne, Hollow Mountain and Dark City.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is Let the Galaxy Burn still in publication? That was my first 40k book, has a bunch of cool short stories.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rakanakle posted:

It's quite good. I've been chewing through the Armageddon Omnibus which has been enjoyable if, I am guessing, also a thing more close to the mainstream of Warham fiction.

I also got Horus Rising, now I'll get to find out where it all began. I'm sure it's just a big misunderstanding!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

There -is- a passage in Betrayer in which Lorgar tells Kharn, Argel Tal and Angron about the power of warp speech reshaping reality, and utters a single word that sends all of them flying and tears through a considerable part of his library. And that they could all learn it, if they so chose.

He could be just talking about general warp-craft and demonology, but all of them have seen psykers in action and would know what they are and if this is the same thing. It also didn't seem to aggravate Angron's nails.

quote:

He spoke a single word, scarcely more than a whisper, but it threw Angron and the others from their feet with a hurricane-blast of wind. Three bookshelves exploded, quite literally blasting apart in a storm of splintered wood and powdered parchment. Khârn managed to arrest his skidding tumble by jamming his fingertips between two marble flagstones. Argel Tal and Angron crashed past him, their armour shedding sparks as they scraped over the cream-coloured stone.

The wind from nowhere vanished as suddenly as it arrived. Khârn was first to his feet.

‘I-I know that tongue,’ he said to Lorgar.

‘I doubt that, Khârn,’ replied the primarch with surprising gentleness.

‘Argel Tal spoke it,’ he said, ‘on Armatura.’

‘Ah. Then you do know something of its power.’ Lorgar waited until his brother and son rejoined them from across the chamber. ‘That, my brother, is what I mean. Reality obeys certain laws. Gravity. Electromagnetism. The nuclear forces. Cause and effect. If I breathe in, my body converts air into life, unless I am too weak or diseased for the process to continue. There are millions of laws that are unknown to all but the most enlightened. Magnus knows many more than even I, but I have learned enough. It is not magic.’ He fairly sneered the word. ‘It is manipulation of the infinite potential that is the source of all realities. A blending of components from the universe of flesh and blood and the divine realm of pure aether and emotion.’

Angron was silent several moments, his brutal face troubled.

‘That noise you made,’ he said finally. ‘That “word”. What was it?’

‘It is for the best that I do not speak it again,’ said Lorgar, smiling sardonically. ‘The books I just destroyed were very valuable, and I’d rather not lose more of them.’

Seeing his brother’s expression, Lorgar’s smile became more sincere. ‘Some words and sounds shake the foundations of reality. For example, the concept and sound of a hundred and one blind men choking and gasping as they all drown at the same time serves as the name of a certain daemonic princeling. Compressing that noise and its meaning into a single sound can be enough to draw that entity’s attention and render it easier to summon. The word I just spoke was… similar. I see the question in your eyes, and yes, I can teach you this tongue.’

It can be just coincidence or casually ADB reading the books abd thinking 'Huh, cool, I can use something like that'. I can see how it would be catnip to lore diviners.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rakanakle posted:

Hell yeah! It's an incredible setting and there are so many good books to explore. This goon is exactly right, no notes:

Warden posted:

Or give Chris Wraight's books a whirl, if you want more plotting and politics with action interposed. Watchers of the Throne duology; Emperor's Legion and Regent's Shadow are really good, as is the Vaults of Terra trilogy consisting of Carrion Throne, Hollow Mountain and Dark City.

Vaults of Terra is another inquisitor trilogy, if you liked Eisenhorn you'll like it but I would wait until you've gotten a little more into the lore and understand things better. Not because you wont understand it, but the events will hit harder when you really have a grasp on the setting.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Sephyr posted:

There -is- a passage in Betrayer in which Lorgar tells Kharn, Argel Tal and Angron about the power of warp speech reshaping reality, and utters a single word that sends all of them flying and tears through a considerable part of his library. And that they could all learn it, if they so chose.

He could be just talking about general warp-craft and demonology, but all of them have seen psykers in action and would know what they are and if this is the same thing. It also didn't seem to aggravate Angron's nails.

It can be just coincidence or casually ADB reading the books abd thinking 'Huh, cool, I can use something like that'. I can see how it would be catnip to lore diviners.

That's ordinary Warp magic, ADB uses the same manner of describing for the true names of daemons in his Grey Knights book. Lorgar is a heavy hitter sorcerer/daemonologist by that point, but note that he says Magnus knows even more.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Vaults of Terra is another inquisitor trilogy, if you liked Eisenhorn you'll like it but I would wait until you've gotten a little more into the lore and understand things better. Not because you wont understand it, but the events will hit harder when you really have a grasp on the setting.

This is the the only flaw in Vaults being a setting entry imo

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I liked Vaults, but damned if I could tell you what it's about or what story Wraight was trying to convey with it, other than "Living on Terra in the grim dark future sucks." I really don't think it works as a setting intro.

Watchers of the Throne, though, I think is an excellent entry point to 40K, probably not as good as Eisenhorn but very close.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Warden posted:

Magos is the linchpin of the whole series and should be acquired early in the process. Anyone who read the series before Magos was published didn't miss anything real, but Magos has the whole series reading order including short stories. It's a book in two parts. One of them is the novel "Magos" which takes place between the Ravenor and Bequin trilogies, the second is a collection of short stories, one or two of which take place before Xenos. The ideal reading experience is to follow the Magos reading order and get every story in order.

It's not mandatory. It's super not mandatory, but some of those shorts are outstanding pieces of fiction. A first-time reader isn't really missing much, but on a reread you're depriving yourself if you don't do it all in order.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Azubah posted:

Is Let the Galaxy Burn still in publication? That was my first 40k book, has a bunch of cool short stories.

Might be available digitally but otherwise long since OOP.

I re-read it last year and found it to be kind of middle at times with a few outstanding bangers. Maybe one day I'll try to submit a proper review to Goonhammer or something. :v:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Enuncia is cool, sorry haters

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

AnEdgelord posted:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

AnEdgelord posted:

Lorgar, however, is not.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

And neither is Erebus.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Erebus has an eight-pointed fidget spinner. It makes the most annoying sound imaginable, and he flicks it constantly.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kylaer posted:

That's ordinary Warp magic, ADB uses the same manner of describing for the true names of daemons in his Grey Knights book. Lorgar is a heavy hitter sorcerer/daemonologist by that point, but note that he says Magnus knows even more.

It seems like the bit about Argel Tal speaking it confirms this. We also know that there is warp-attuned speech that can be harnessed by normies from Know No Fear.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It wouldn’t surprise me if Lorgar knows some Enuncia, but I just don’t buy that he’s somehow building some kind of mega-Enuncia super-dictionary - I don’t think the text supports that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Also Lorgar’s not important enough for that kind of meta textual business

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

It seems like the bit about Argel Tal speaking it confirms this. We also know that there is warp-attuned speech that can be harnessed by normies from Know No Fear.

Not that it makes a difference in the context of the current chat, but it may have been Raum speaking it. Either way, it isn't Enuncia.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Blue Raider posted:

Also Lorgar’s not important enough for that kind of meta textual business

this weird performative Lorgar hate is becoming exactly as annoying as the "Magnus did nothing wrong" stuff, yeah hes a piece of poo poo in the fiction of the setting but saying Lorgar is "not important" is patently ridiculous

the guy who started the heresy, personally ascended Angron into a daemon primarch, wrote the lectitio divinitatus, and is the origin of space marine chaplains is in fact an extremely important character to the setting and is among the more important primarchs

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Lorgar is too important for that. Anything involving pet projects like Enuncia is going to be kept far away from the big-name official characters.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lorgar wrote the Lectitio Divinitatus. The Imperium is his baby.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kylaer posted:

Lorgar is too important for that. Anything involving pet projects like Enuncia is going to be kept far away from the big-name official characters.

And yet Horus got smacked so hard by a single Enuncia word it put him on his rear end.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Demiurge4 posted:

And yet Horus got smacked so hard by a single Enuncia word it put him on his rear end.

For a moment. Then he got up from his rear end and proceeded to continue as before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Horus didn't change as a character due to that, since he very shortly thereafter got erased from existence, following the story arc we've known the broad strokes of for 30 years now. It's a different scenario than claiming "Lorgar now knows Enuncia and has access to a whole new non-Warp form of magic."