Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics!!1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Whens the next Helsreach episode?! I need my fix.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Whens the next Helsreach episode?! I need my fix.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Had to post this. Ole' Gabe Angelos got an official Forgeworld Model. And a forehead that goes beyond a fivehead and into a sixhead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, but they're still explosive gyrojet rounds. It seems like they're always pinging off of people's helmets or leaving flesh wounds or something when they should be so much nastier. (Spoilers for Necropolis: hell, one them gets blocked by a luckily placed piece of jewelry. )

Bonin is just that lucky.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Arcsquad12 posted:

Had to post this. Ole' Gabe Angelos got an official Forgeworld Model. And a forehead that goes beyond a fivehead and into a sixhead.

Should be in a dread imo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Should be in a dread imo

You're thinking of Davian Thule, the commander in Dark Crusade, he's the dread.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sephyr posted:

True, but I imagine that most densely-populated planets are supplied by a nearby agri-world, in the same system or not that far away. Or else, any warp storm or delay would cause entire hive worlds to eat themselves.

I imagine this happens often, like not super often but often enough. Not counting genestealer cults.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You're thinking of Davian Thule, the commander in Dark Crusade, he's the dread.

Was he in chaos rising? The expac choir dow 2?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Yep.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Yes, he's a goody goody who gets all miffed if you use chaos weapons and do cool renegade poo poo.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Looks like I've just found my next model to paint

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nVkBungivI

The manliest Blood Raven.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Has anyone started "Shroud of Night" yet? I'd love to read about some post-heresy Alpha Legion, but the plot sounds meh and who the hell is Andy Clark?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

SHROUD OF NIGHT

READ IT BECAUSE
It's hot Chaos on Chaos action, with the Blood God's chosen warrior slap bang in the middle. Let's be honest – that's not ending well for anyone whose name isn't Khârn…

Wonder if Alpharius shows up in this.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I'm gonna guess probably not since Dorn split his face open with his massive chain sword

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The Rat posted:

I'm gonna guess probably not since Dorn split a body double's face open with his massive chain sword

:ninja:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

chiasaur11 posted:

Bonin is just that lucky.

Funny enough, I just got to the part in Only in Death where he's shot in the back of the neck once the ghosts find the water drop.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

The Rat posted:

I'm gonna guess probably not since Dorn split his face open with his massive chain sword

That's just what alpha legion wants you to think.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I dunno, I thought that whole psychic connection shock that Omegon received upon Alpharius getting carved up made it pretty clear.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Rat posted:

I dunno, I thought that whole psychic connection shock that Omegon received upon Alpharius getting carved up made it pretty clear.
Could just have been OH GOD MY FACE :gonk: or something.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I hate the blood ravens. Were they retroactively made canon just for the THQ DoW games?

They're the dumbest chapter.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
He gets wrecked pretty hard, so I doubt it there's any double-play with that scene.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I hate the blood ravens. Were they retroactively made canon just for the THQ DoW games?

They've been canon since their creation.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Blood Ravens are Cool and Good and I hope FW intends to recreate more stuff from DoW.

Like Gorgutz.

Do Gorgutz FW.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
They existed before dawn of War?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Uncle w Benefits posted:

They existed before dawn of War?

No, they were made canon when they were made.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Have they appeared in anything other than the games?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Laughing Zealot posted:

IDW or whatever is doing an ongoing comic series about the lead up to DoW3, After the first game, there were blood ravens showing up in the deathwatch and other fiction as side references.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Laughing Zealot posted:

They're kinda the go-to "Mysterious Origin Successor Chapter" in the Space MarineAdeptus Astartes codexes, and the painted mini sections of any books that feature SMs will most often feature a Raven or two.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's also a CS Goto novel, but GW takes an "everything is canon" approach to things, so yes, they were always canon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know why some people hate them so much. It's not like they have as much content spewed out about them as any of the Founding Chapters. They just happened to get two really good games and one bad one. Even the Vaults of Terra guy, who is normally pretty calm and neutral in his 40K videos took umbrage because he got annoyed people kept mixing up Blood Ravens with his favourite chapter, the Blood Angels.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't know why some people hate them so much. It's not like they have as much content spewed out about them as any of the Founding Chapters. They just happened to get two really good games and one bad one. Even the Vaults of Terra guy, who is normally pretty calm and neutral in his 40K videos took umbrage because he got annoyed people kept mixing up Blood Ravens with his favourite chapter, the Blood Angels.

The name sucked and stepped on some toes. But that is the only problem with them.

I mean who doesn't love Thousand Sons loyalists?

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Arcsquad12 posted:

I get mad because my Raven Guard are mixed up with them :mad:

j/k I don't like the raven guard. I suppose people dislike them because they have a very preferred chapter feel to them like the ultramarines, since they're the only chapter a video game was made on.

At least they're not in eternal crusade :shepface:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I get mad because my Raven Guard are mixed up with them :mad:

j/k I don't like the raven guard. I suppose people dislike them because they have a very preferred chapter feel to them like the ultramarines, since they're the only chapter a video game was made on.

At least they're not in eternal crusade :shepface:

That game is a travesty. I installed it expecting some solid Space Marine multiplayer and it was horrible.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Meridian posted:

That game is a travesty. I installed it expecting some solid Space Marine multiplayer and it was horrible.

I bought it on launch and it was OK, until you got into melee range with Orks. The game was, as usual with MMOs, released in a state that is maybe 2 steps removed from closed beta in terms of balance. Unless you went melee you would lose 9.8/10 times, and if you went melee you had to be an Ork who were the best at it. I don't know if they've fixed the shooting game because it was loving garbage.

I also don't know if they added more first founding/chaos chapters, though I suppose they have all the good ones (night lords and word bearers.) Even the iron warriors are in it and they get hazard stripes :black101: but you have to pay for it :(

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I bought it on launch and it was OK, until you got into melee range with Orks. The game was, as usual with MMOs, released in a state that is maybe 2 steps removed from closed beta in terms of balance. Unless you went melee you would lose 9.8/10 times, and if you went melee you had to be an Ork who were the best at it. I don't know if they've fixed the shooting game because it was loving garbage.

I also don't know if they added more first founding/chaos chapters, though I suppose they have all the good ones (night lords and word bearers.) Even the iron warriors are in it and they get hazard stripes :black101: but you have to pay for it :(

I'm pretty sad that I missed the boat on most 40k video game multiplayer. People were saying Last Stand on Dawn of War 2 was a lot of fun but I don't know if there's any goons that play it anymore. Deathwing is pretty cool but it's still a little under cooked.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am pretty new to 40k. I have finished the Eisenhorn omnibus, the first 2-3 Gaunt's Ghosts, and am halfway through the Ravenor omnibus. I really like the lore. Are there any halfway decent books set on Terra or that give a good view of the high lords of Terra and how the Imperium functions at the highest levels?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Carrion Throne is set on Earth. There are hints of high Lord stuff but it's an Inquisitor book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Azubah posted:

Carrion Throne is set on Earth. There are hints of high Lord stuff but it's an Inquisitor book.

That's not a bad suggestion. Keeping up with the Inquisitor theme should help.

Comedy answer: the Inquisition War trilogy by Ian Watson. It does have a long sequence set on Terra after all.

Ian Watson is who you read when you've thrown up your hands and said that this setting is loving ridiculous, because he has such wonders to show you.