Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Does the Imperium use messenger ships to handle the bulk of its communications? From what I understand, astropaths are too few and too inefficient to handle it all. Who gets to use astropaths anyway? What priority is given?

I would think that standard, not-priority communications would be handled just like they are now - by courier (Post Office, UPS, etc.) Priority communications are carried by astropathic communication. Most planets have at least one astropath, and depending on the planet, they can have an entire choir.

If you've ever seen a WW2 movie where there were a bunch of people sitting in a room on teletypes sending and receiving messages, that's effectively what the choir works like. You have someone in charge who dictates the priority of messages, but for the most part, communications are bounced from one astropathic node to the next, until the destination is reached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Trast posted:

Also as far as Pariah goes is there any given reason why Ravenor and Eisenhorn would be at odds? I'd imagine it would have to do with Ravenor coming away from his trilogy still an inquisitor and Eisenhorn being radical now. But in the short story where they meet they didn't really seem to be at each other's throat.

Yet. Not at each other's throats yet. Ravenor however, is amazed at how much Eisenhorn has fallen (in regards to the relationship he now seems to maintain with his pet), and I imagine his own experiences with the event of his trilogy wouldn't have improved his view on things. Of course, the books themselves will be the ones to introduce the actual conflict, as everything prior is merely lead-up in that regard.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'd imagine that when a ship arrives in orbit around a planet, it begins transmitting archived emails that people from other worlds paid it to deliver.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Any message worth sending from one planet to another would be sent by astropath, generally speaking. 99.9999999% of Imperial citizens will never leave their home planet, much less have a reason to communicate with someone from another planet. Astropaths are also pretty common.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Any message worth sending from one planet to another would be sent by astropath, generally speaking. 99.9999999% of Imperial citizens will never leave their home planet, much less have a reason to communicate with someone from another planet. Astropaths are also pretty common.

Yeah, they're precious resources but they're not exactly rare. On some lovely backwater planet there may be only one (or a handful), but in other places they're more common. In Eisenhorn he actually has a few spare "email accounts" with various astropath agencies, and hires one on retainer to come with him on some missions.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Nephilm posted:

Yet. Not at each other's throats yet. Ravenor however, is amazed at how much Eisenhorn has fallen (in regards to the relationship he now seems to maintain with his pet), and I imagine his own experiences with the event of his trilogy wouldn't have improved his view on things. Of course, the books themselves will be the ones to introduce the actual conflict, as everything prior is merely lead-up in that regard.

Eisenhorn's fall from grace was pretty spectacular. It should make for an interesting set of books.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Trast posted:

Eisenhorn's fall from grace was pretty spectacular. It should make for an interesting set of books.

Is this going to be a new trilogy?

Also the cover is totally badass:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Therion posted:

Is Omnissiah still the Void Dragon after that asinine Necron fluff redesign?
No, he's back to being a plain old conceptual god/warp entity/possibly Furnex, Chaos god of machines.

Baron Bifford posted:

Does the Imperium use messenger ships to handle the bulk of its communications? From what I understand, astropaths are too few and too inefficient to handle it all. Who gets to use astropaths anyway? What priority is given?
Is it Military? Yes? Astropath. No? gently caress off, who do you know off-planet anyway?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Trast posted:

Are the Sisters of Battle books any good? I like the lore I've been exposed to so far and wouldn't mind some more in-depth stuff.

I liked the books, but I'm an SoB fanboy, so bear that in mind. That said, I like how Swallow genuinely seems to have a grasp on how faith itself is a tangible, powerful force in the Imperium without having Miriya (the books' main character) go Super Imperial Saiyan and stuff.

Basically don't expect her to grow wings of fire and smite the unbeliever with flaming swords, but be sustained through sheer balls-busting faith regardless of the challenge facing her.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Since the topic of radicals came up in this thread I'll ask it here as well: if radical inquisitors in Ordo Malleus use Daemonhosts, and radicals in Ordo Xenos use Jokaero and even Orks, what do the radicals of Ordo Hereticus use?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Common sense.

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

Arbite posted:

what do the radicals of Ordo Hereticus use?

If I'm not mistaken, they get involved with all sorts of neat xeno and archeo-tech. Also daemon tech. By which I mean a gun with a loving daemon inside.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Gormless Gormster posted:

...a gun with a loving daemon inside.

What does it shoot?

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

Crigit posted:

What does it shoot?

It shoots bullets.
The difference is that the daemon is an rear end in a top hat. Sometimes the gun doesn't fire because the daemon has decided it would like to sleep in. Other times the bullets suddenly possess magical warp bending powers (Like changing time.)

God help you if you're holding a daemon weapon and aren't paying attention (Remember the Exorcist? Yeah that'll happen.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Trast posted:

Are the Sisters of Battle books any good? I like the lore I've been exposed to so far and wouldn't mind some more in-depth stuff.

Been a while since I read the first one but I have a recollection of that it was okay.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Arbite posted:

Since the topic of radicals came up in this thread I'll ask it here as well: if radical inquisitors in Ordo Malleus use Daemonhosts, and radicals in Ordo Xenos use Jokaero and even Orks, what do the radicals of Ordo Hereticus use?

Cults, mostly. The reasoning being 'why waste good lunatics'? DIY cults also have the advantage of being lightning rods for any local Chaos activity; set one up, attract a few flies (especially apropos if they're Nurglite), and then PURGE. Take te credit, and bam, you're a Lord standing on the bodies of heretics you'd have purged anyway. 'Lesser' Radicals might just cultivate close relationships with crime syndicates and whatnot.

Honestly, while I think Radical Malleus Inquisitors are the most individually dangerous, Radical Hereticus dudes are the most insidious.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Arbite posted:

Jokaeros are not part of cannon anymore are they? I would imagine if one could control them (which would be neigh impossible) they would be the most powerful person in the galaxy.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Evil_Urna posted:

Jokaeros are not part of cannon anymore are they? I would imagine if one could control them (which would be neigh impossible) they would be the most powerful person in the galaxy.

Jokaero are still canon, since they're in a current codex and you can still buy models and everything. They are also pretty awesome.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They'd wanna be, since they just made the model last year or so.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Evil_Urna posted:

Yes, it's going to be called the Bequin trilogy :getin:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Evil_Urna posted:

:hawaaaafap:

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Black Library has come a long way since this:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Evil_Urna posted:

Black Library has come a long way since this:

Why? You don't like Pacino Marine?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Arbite posted:

Wait, what?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, what?

Maybe the Kryptmann Gambit?

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, what?

I swear that I remember reading somewhere that an inquisitor somewhere diverted a space hulk teeming with da boyz to wipe out a planet on the cheap.

Cream_Filling posted:

Why? You don't like Pacino Marine?

That cover has always pissed me off for some reason. It makes the book look like complete garbage. Kinda like the early HH covers looked like it was rendered on the same computers as Reboot was.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Evil_Urna posted:

That cover has always pissed me off for some reason. It makes the book look like complete garbage. Kinda like the early HH covers looked like it was rendered on the same computers as Reboot was.

That book does have some awesome short stories in it though.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

S.J. posted:

That book does have some awesome short stories in it though.

I totally agree. I did not get that book for a long time because I was so turned off by the cover art.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

CommissarMega posted:

I liked the books, but I'm an SoB fanboy, so bear that in mind. That said, I like how Swallow genuinely seems to have a grasp on how faith itself is a tangible, powerful force in the Imperium without having Miriya (the books' main character) go Super Imperial Saiyan and stuff.

Basically don't expect her to grow wings of fire and smite the unbeliever with flaming swords, but be sustained through sheer balls-busting faith regardless of the challenge facing her.

Cooked Auto posted:

Been a while since I read the first one but I have a recollection of that it was okay.

Thanks for the input. I'll look to pick them up when I'm done with the Gaunts omnibuses I have right now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, what?

That's the plot of Dawn of War 2 - Retribution. The Inquisitor bribes the Ork Freebooters to take out the renegade Space Marine, in return for a fight with 3 regiments of guardsmen on a planet of their choosing. Orks end up betrayed by the Inquisitor but they get away, so in the end the pirate steals the inquisitor's hat, enjoys fighting all the marines, and calls it even.

I don't know about the Jokero thing though. Amberly Vail is a Puritain Inquisitor who hates Radicals (and Tech Priests, for good reason as we come to find out) but she still uses a Digital Needler.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So once you get past the plodding Rogue Trader parts in the second Enforcer book and onto the main trial of the plot the book suddenly becomes amazing when all the plots really start to unravel and crashing into each other at super speed.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Evil_Urna posted:

I swear that I remember reading somewhere that an inquisitor somewhere diverted a space hulk teeming with da boyz to wipe out a planet on the cheap.

It might also refer to Inquisitor Kryptmann sending 'Nids to Orkish worlds, perhaps. Blood Axe mercenaries could also be hired to do the Emperor's work.

Cooked Auto posted:

So once you get past the plodding Rogue Trader parts in the second Enforcer book and onto the main trial of the plot the book suddenly becomes amazing when all the plots really start to unravel and crashing into each other at super speed.

And this is why the Enforcer books are awesome; what seems slow and plodding at one moment, suddenly takes everything into hyperdrive. I think the third book is a better example though.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I really liked Horus Rising, it was almost bittersweet in the end when they were so close to coming to an agreement with the interex. I looked up a few of the names since i'm not good at remembering lore and I was like "Woah, so yeah that's why Abaddons name felt familiar"

Do the rest of the books follow Gavriel to some degree or do they switch perspectives? I really kinda liked him. I also loved that the Imperium of Man has really gone to poo poo since the Emperor bit it. Advancing technology? Secular society? Really awesome. Though Techpriest didn't seem very nice even back then

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Affi posted:

Do the rest of the books follow Gavriel to some degree or do they switch perspectives?

Loken is in the first couple of Horus Heresy books (and an audio book) but they do switch over to other characters.

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't know about the Jokero thing though. Amberly Vail is a Puritain Inquisitor who hates Radicals (and Tech Priests, for good reason as we come to find out) but she still uses a Digital Needler.

I don't think Vail (or to be honest, any other Ordo Xenos inquisitor) have issue with using Xenos technology or consorting with other species so long as the Imperium is safe guarded. From the Inquisitor game fluff, only a subset of the Puritans (the Monodominants) are the type to burn and purge everything. Your average normal Puritan would be happy to make deals and use any available resource.

Radicals of the Ordo Hereticus, on the other hand would most likely use anything from Chaos marines to actively cultivating traitors and heretics.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Affi posted:

I looked up a few of the names since i'm not good at remembering lore and I was like "Woah, so yeah that's why Abaddons name felt familiar"

It is really strange to read HH and realize that like half of the main guys from the first two books are all Daemon Princes now.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fried Chicken posted:

The Jokaero are arguably nonsentient though; technology is just a weird thing they produce. We get leather and milk from space cows, space wheat from space plants, and tech from Jokaero. Might as well burn people for eating grox steaks, is what I'm saying.

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

The Jokaero are arguably nonsentient though; technology is just a weird thing they produce. We get leather and milk from space cows, space wheat from space plants, and tech from Jokaero. Might as well burn people for eating grox steaks, is what I'm saying.

I remember from the really old fluff that any attempts to harness the Jokaero just ended up with them building a means of escape instead of what you wanted. Also I would imagine space ape poo throwing also.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Evil_Urna posted:

I remember from the really old fluff that any attempts to harness the Jokaero just ended up with them building a means of escape instead of what you wanted. Also I would imagine space ape poo throwing also.

That's right. These days, the Imperium just puts the apes into a large reservation/pen/whatever, throws in scrap tech sometimes, and then picks up whatever super Legos the Jokaero make before handing them to Techpriests to find out what the hell they do.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Evil_Urna posted:

I totally agree. I did not get that book for a long time because I was so turned off by the cover art.
It's solid 1980's coverart and rocked for it's time.

It's just a pity they re-used it two decades later.

Fried Chicken posted:

That's the plot of Dawn of War 2 - Retribution. The Inquisitor bribes the Ork Freebooters to take out the renegade Space Marine, in return for a fight with 3 regiments of guardsmen on a planet of their choosing. Orks end up betrayed by the Inquisitor but they get away, so in the end the pirate steals the inquisitor's hat, enjoys fighting all the marines, and calls it even.
Bear in mind that the plot of DoW2 was heavily influenced by the novelisation of the first, written by our old friend C.S. Goto.

He lives not all that far from me. I've strongly considered throwing burning poop at his house a few times after reading Eldar Prophesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Arquinsiel posted:

It's solid 1980's coverart and rocked for it's time.

It's just a pity they re-used it two decades later.
Bear in mind that the plot of DoW2 was heavily influenced by the novelisation of the first, written by our old friend C.S. Goto.

He lives not all that far from me. I've strongly considered throwing burning poop at his house a few times after reading Eldar Prophesy.

The plot of DoW2 has little to do with the DoW novel and outright contradicts it in several ways.