Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Planets in grand sci-fi just function as individual small countries, or sometimes cities. It's a part of the form at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Bear in mind the Flashman books started out being written in the 70s, when casual racism etc wasn't quite such a big deal in a comedic setting (srsly check out some of the British TV from the time; the Black and White Minstrel Show was still just about a thing even). Also the raping gets toned down a bit, sort of...I think the character says the rape in the first book is the only time he's ever done it, but then there's some suuuper problematic questions along the lines of 'how much consent can a slave woman on a slave ship who doesn't speak English actually give to her captor' kind of thing.

So, uh. Yeah. Still pretty butt clenching.

Flashman isn't a "the 70s were a different time" thing. He's supposed to be an absolute monster, he's a stand in for rapacious British imperialism.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

D-Pad posted:

So I read The Inquisition Wars because I wanted to see what the start of 40k writing was like and get into some old lore. gently caress Ian Watson forever and ever. Like is my ebook copy messed up or does it really just abruptly end after 700+ pages when the main character commits suicide by space marine, becomes a webway ghost, and is like "this is my life now" with no resolution to the plot whatsoever.

The writing style was weird and oftentimes jarring but seeing what the lore used to be like was pretty cool. Seriously though, gently caress that ending.

I haven't read Inquisition War but that sounds like the most 40k thing ever.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

susan posted:

Gonna be in need of a new book soon, are the Horusian War books any good? Or should I read the Ravenor series first? Or dive back into the Heresy line (I think the White Scars are where I left off)?

Ravenor is a no-brainer if you haven't read it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Speaking of inquisitors, any one try out the new game?

Yeah, the core game is fun but it's like playing an alpha. Game badly needed another 6 months in the oven.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Exorcist Grey Knights is even lamer fanfiction-y garbage than the Exorcists already are

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Nuclear War posted:

I just finished the Gods of Mars trilogy. Pretty good all told really. Are there other good books that describe the mechanicus at all?

I'd also love some more inquisitor books now I've finished the eiaenhorn and Ravenor books.

The Mechanicus omnibus and Atlas Infernal, both by Rob Sanders.

Also, Pariah and The Magos are parts 1 & 2 of the sequel trilogy to Eisenhorn/Ravenor, if you weren't aware.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

beergod posted:

Eisenhorn still the read-me-first for getting into 40k? Looks like the OP is 6 years old.

I'm 30, thank you very much :mad:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Brothers of the Snake is basically a short story/novella anthology, and I think at least a few of them were written well before the book was published in '07.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Randalor posted:

Has humanity ever trusted xeno species in the 40k verse, or were they always wanting to shoot them first, ask questions later?

Humanity yes, the Imperium no.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Angel Exterminatus is great because of the reveal that the Iron Warriors spend their free time playing 40k tabletop

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Storm of Iron kicks rear end and is worth 8 bucks on its own, easily McNeill's best book.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

So is James Swallow any good? Thinking about buying the next book in the HH series when it drops in the end of February.

No

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Galvanik posted:

Bit late to comment on this, but I feel like it's worth mentioning that the Eldar managed to exist as a space faring race for millions of years without creating a galactic warp catastrophe.

I'm afraid I have some bad news

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Whose the other marine on the cover of doom. There are back stories for z tier star wars characters, don't tell me second marine doesnt have a name

Steve

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Daemon World owns and it's the best Ben Counter book by a mile imo

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Christopher Meloni as Fischig for sure

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Johnny-5 as Pontius Glaw

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

What I don't understand is why he's fighting Starcraft enemies in the trailer, surely they're opening themselves up to a lawsuit from Activision Blizzard

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Capitalism isn't just "companies" or "money" or "commodity ownership", it's a whole legal framework guaranteeing the sovereignty of capital investment and making it the primary determinant for how resources are distributed. The Imperium is pretty clearly not that.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 17, 2022

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Imperium is really just a permanent wartime economy, so the model you'd be looking at would be the US/Britain/Germany/Japan during WWII. It isn't capitalism, but it's not quite pre-capitalism either.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mechanicum are what would happen if the Luddites weren't all murdered by factory owners

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you have any idea what space marines and chaos and the Imperium are then the Night Lords books are plenty accessible, it'll just be a lot if you're going into it without any prior exposure to the setting.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ganguro Blood Angels, very kawaii

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Maybe the Imperium aren't the good guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Lol, just reminded me.

I was around a friends with some others our age and we were watching his then early teens son play a bit of the Multiplayer and promptly get killed.

I said in the most deadpan fashion I could muster "Well James. I believe you just got pwned like a noob" and cracked the room up.

wow cool story