Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Any message worth sending from one planet to another would be sent by astropath, generally speaking. 99.9999999% of Imperial citizens will never leave their home planet, much less have a reason to communicate with someone from another planet. Astropaths are also pretty common.

Yeah, they're precious resources but they're not exactly rare. On some lovely backwater planet there may be only one (or a handful), but in other places they're more common. In Eisenhorn he actually has a few spare "email accounts" with various astropath agencies, and hires one on retainer to come with him on some missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nephilm posted:

What was the psychic power order for the primarchs?

Papa Emprah >= Magnus > Sanguinius > Lorgar > Horus/Russ > the rest > Alpharius Omegon

Of all the primarchs, I believe only Magnus and Sanguinius had actually manifested psychic powers (that they could do things with). And the latter could only see into the future (ie. his own death), so really the "psychic power order" would be Emperor >>> Magnus > Sanguinius

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished reading the Night Lords trilogy. Goddamn, ADB should write more, his Spehss Mehrine characters are great. Uzas, Talos, Xarl... even the 'side' characters like Malcharion or Vandred were just metal as gently caress. I loved the way lots of characters hated each other, like Talos vs. the Exalted, but still covered for each other when their asses were really on the line. gently caress Cyrion though, I never liked that guy.

"Try and run now, bitch." :black101:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just read Betrayer: digging down through a mountain of rubble while it skins you alive, then holding up a Titan? Goddamn Angron. :stare:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VanSandman posted:

I'm still rather bothered that it wasn't the original Alizabeth. Wasn't it always implied she could recover?

No.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VanSandman posted:

I like to think one straight up refused to be a warlord, thus necessitating their extermination because the last thing you want is for a genetically engineered superman with the knowledge to create an empire running around behind your front lines not listening to you.
The other? Was the Warboss of Ullanor.

That's actually not a bad idea. "Oi, I'm da biggest, da baddest, and da most red, so therefore I da Big Warboss! :haw:"

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished reading The World Engine. Goddamn that owns, talk about a deal with the devil, unleashing a good-sized C'tan shard? "The whole necron race is our enemy. Now I am free, and you will all be punished." They, uh, better watch their backs. Also the Astral Knights own bones and it's a drat shame that they all died to destroy the Death Necron Star. "I am mankind, and I am extinction!"

I really dig the new themes they introduced for the Necrons. It was boring when they lacked any semblance of personality, now they're a bunch of crazy undead noblemen, bickering and backstabbing their way towards power.

lobotomy molo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 7, 2015

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lite_sleepr posted:

The nails should have killed Angron by all accounts, right? It was only thanks to his primarch physiology that he survived them, owing to his body's regenerative healing power? Every moment spent not engaged in physical combat was agony if I recall.

Angron is a Meeseeks; existence is pain.

lmao "I'M MR. ANGRON LOOK AT MEEEE!!!"

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moths posted:

I'm like 65% through Betrayer and wanted to thank eveyone who recommended it. Holy poo poo.

I never thought I'd like Khârn or want to be his friend.

Kharn's really just a good guy, a good bro

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miguel Prado posted:

Rogal Dorn killed Alpharius though right? There is just Omegon left.

That’s what they want you to think :tinfoil:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd be down for Angron no longer being a daemon but also be staunchly anti-Imperium.

I’d also be down for Angron as an axe-wielding T-Rex going murder-crazy on the forces of chaos because “you loving assholes tried to enslave me! Again!!”

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Improbable Lobster posted:

There's only so much you can do to justify dudes that cut off and wear other people's faces

but what if they’re billionaires? :thunk:

really, Angron is a working-class hero

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

One of the best jokes about the Tau is how they don't seem to realize what setting they're in. When they heard reports of alien races using 800 foot tall walking battle cathedrals they didn't believe them because nobody could possibly be that stupid.

Then they saw one and went"oh poo poo you were being serious"

even better: they sniped a little 60ft Warhound from long range with a bunch of railguns, then went “whew, that was easy, idk what everyone else is so afraid of!” :downsowned:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miguel Prado posted:

Just finished Saturnine, after reading through The Solar War and spoiled summaries of The Lost and the Damned and The First Wall.

While it is interesting and fulfilling to finally get to read the details of what we know to happen, I prefer the more focused stories such as The Lords of Silence and the Night Lords. These huge battles with many different POVs, taking place on Terra feel hard to be invested in.

While Saturnine was a better read, in my opinion it suffers similarly to Unremembered Empire, where Dan has to tie together a lot of loose strings and events.

Regarding some reveals: So the Emperor is a perpetual named Neoth? Lame!

The Emperor is named Neo? :lmao:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SerCypher posted:

Haha that's amazing. Is that where Juve-nat treatments come from?

There’s a ton of different juvenat treatments, that’s probably one of them. One baseline human character in Belisarius Cawl: the Great Work lived >1,000 years using all sorts of different treatments. One of which was basically the plot of The Dark Crystal: extracting life essence from a peaceful xenos species until they went extinct.

Syncopated posted:

The main character in Emperor’s Gift has a huge dick, as per the shower scene.

TBH it still kinda irks me that the main character could snap Angron’s Black Blade, but couldn’t just psychically crush Logan Grimnar. The dude’s tiny in comparison! I know he’s got plot armor/willpower/speed, but still... c’mon. At least say he’s got a psi-nullifying artifact or something.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MariusLecter posted:

Bayard is dismissive and condescending of the humans at Helsreach, Grimaldus tells him to stop being such an rear end in a top hat and have some humility.

Grimaldus has humility and respect, just doesn't understand the human condition and all.

Ehhh Grimaldus is a dick to humans, but imo he hates most in other spehss mahrines what he hates most in himself.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Telsa Cola posted:

Okay the radio thing sold me.

Yeah that sounds incredible.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fluff question. If the Shadowsword is so effective at killing Titans why doesn't the Imperium invest in superheavy tanks? Is the Shadowsword STC appreciably rarer than Titan STCs and it's a matter of production over practicality?

The imperium does, it has a lot more super heavy tanks than it does titans.

However, there’s 3 problems with going nuts building shadowswords:
1. they’re basically a giant tank destroyer. They’re optimized around killing 1 thing: big enemy vehicles. It can’t break and destroy 10,000 infantry and 100 enemy tanks the way a Reaver or Warlord can, it would get annihilated.
2. It’s reactor is tiny compared to a titan. This means it can only drive around at very low speeds while it’s charging it’s volcano cannon. It’s not a high mobility platform that can shoot and scoot while firing.
3. It lacks the defenses that a titan has. It has good armor, but no void shields. It’s best used as an ambush predator.

It’s a specialized heavy-killer, you can’t use it to break thousands of orks or do urban street fighting against heretics the way you can use a titan.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zasze posted:

Why can't they just have a regular rear end guardsman stand up to a demonic space demi god and tell him to gently caress off before getting splatted.

Read Saturnine.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arquinsiel posted:

I remember that story. It's really good and explained the old 3rd ed Black Templar chapter traits really well.

Hell yeah, that story kicked rear end. The best way to kill a mob of khorne worshippers: deprive them of blood and skulls until they all murder each other.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe they'll be good this time too

Yeah, both were pretty crappy imo. How the gently caress did they make Robot Girlyman swordfighting a giant Nurgle-dragon boring? Or that long, drawn out sideplot with the priest? Ugh. There were a few good parts, but they were few and far between.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardent Communist posted:

But Angron goes so far as to say that if he didn't have the nails, he would have rebelled against the Emperor earlier because he's a tyrant. Hardly entitled.

Angron without the nails would be a pissed-off anarchist demigod, throwing bombs at the Emperor and roaring “gently caress hierarchies of oppression!” :hmmorks:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MariusLecter posted:

Also, thinking back to Angron dressing down Guilmon always reminds me of this quote.

Angron declares rebellion: “I don’t need any of you! I’ll make my own empire, with blackjack and mountains of skulls!”

Sephyr posted:

Also, funny non-related tidbit. In Saturnine, they mention that Nuceria has been glassed by Guilliman now that he is on his way. Given that that world was already reaved clean of life by Lorgar and Angron genociding it, a massive three-legion battle, and then a capital ship crashing into it, was there anything left to destroy? Some planets just have the worst luck!

If it’s anything like the Devastation of Baal, Angron probably left a huge pile of skulls or a monument to Khorne with all the bones. That sort of thing has ritual power and significance, even if the world is a lifeless husk.

It would’ve owned if Angron had suddenly faltered, wounded, during the final battle, and we only found out later that it’s because his Sacred Mountain of Skulls got vaped.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peanut- posted:

Only halfway through but I’m enjoying The Infinite and the Divine more than any 40k book in a while.

Trazyn seems to be generally having a great time and how much him and Orikan despise each other in really petty ways is funny. And now some Orks have shown up to really top it off.

Wait til you get to the statue, that part is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

I wonder if we're supposed to see it as hypocritical that the Word Bearers complain about xenos DNA corrupting some random branch of humanity led by that fat queen while they have literal daemons incubating inside them.

Apparently even after another10,000 years many Traitor Legions still hate Xenos. Like...what?

Hey, they might worship horrible daemonic abominations, but those are clean, pure human-based daemonic abominations. Chaos called dibs on the Emperor, no kill-stealing.