Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Trast posted:

I have yet to hear a single thing about Orks that doesn't make them sound like the most fun thing in WH40k.

When all you want to do is break and smash things gleefully and everyone else is a miserable gently caress that needs smashing, you're the happiest person in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Gormless Gormster posted:

So they pretty much go to Valhalla?

WAAAAAAAAH-halla, to be specific.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

"Really pissed off giant cat" work?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Just finished Storm of Iron. Good fun. I think I just learned a lot about siege warfare.

I found myself following the other Black Library book reviews in that Space Marine review link. The first Ciaphas Cain omnibus will be my next buy!

Word of warning about Ciahphas Cain books, they very formulatic and usually take the piss out of the whole grim dark angle of the setting.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Toad Tunnel posted:

last HH book I bought was Know No Fear, which kicked rear end, so there's that. I'm planning on picking up either The Emperors Gift or starting the Night Lords series next.

Night Lords, the entire series is loving awesome.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought it was after wiping out Armageddon once or twice the Imperium figured out killing everyone who has had contact with chaos was a pretty lovely tactic.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Going by how Dark Heresy handles these things, there's a pretty good chance that Cain *IS* an Inquisitor, but Amberly forgot to tell him.

He makes the perfect Inquisitor then, can't deny what you don't know!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Aren't they fighting "newer" marines? I thought post Heresy marines sucked compared to ones from their era.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Just finished The Emperor's Gift. It was great and I never thought that little poo poo would show up again.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I always thought that the different "types" of lasgun was just different power settings of the gun. The more juice you give it the more it has an "impact."

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

There's a comment in the Thousand Sons book, where Ahriman(?) mentions that Magnus doesn't have organs. That's he basically a great psychic force, bound inside a meat shell. It wouldn't surprise me if the Primarchs are basically Daemon hosts wherein the Emperor bound powerful warp entities.

That may explain why he never bothered to tell the primarchs anything.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Did they change the ebook store? It's not listing US price anymore and is telling me I'm in the wrong region.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They are going to milk the hell out of the Siege of Terra.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

That's a pretty bad idea considering that the price is dying and becoming a soulless husk.

I think the new Codex says they got better.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Think ADB will write more about Angorn's giant rear end sword? Between Betrayer and Emperor's Gift he's written the beginning and end of the weapon.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

So if humanity is getting more and more psychic as time goes on, could they potentially all get absorbed into the Golden Throne by the Astronomican if there are not any non-psykers left? We don't know the process, only that they're sacrificed. It would be a funny way to wiped out humanity beyond war all the time.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Someone mentioned that the Imperium keeps on paying Cain even after he was really dead because he kept on being pronounced dead and coming back with an army.

What's to stop some clever upstart from saying "I'm totally Cain" down the line because he wants the fame and thinks it's a cushy gig?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

And if a saint can come back in a new body, why can't "Cain"?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dravs posted:

Yes but then he would get sent off into the worst hellhole warzone moral threat imaginable. Cain didn't have an easy gig because his fame meant he kept on getting sent into situations he did not want to be in.

:thejoke:

Clearly our new hero would think it's all hyperbole.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

This is how fan fiction starts, doesn't it?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think it's mentioned that a lot of the first legions intentionally keep their numbers unknown, I think it's even mentioned in The Emperor's Gift.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Have you read Betrayer yet?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Why wouldn't a Necron book work? I thought their latest Codex said they were all starting to develop their old personalities.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Joe Videogames posted:

It's really not that bad. It's a completely fan made movie that's good for what it is.

Amusingly enough, the fan made 40k movie looks better than that piece of poo poo does.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Isn't he working on the Guardians of the Galaxy Comic Books?

Not anymore, I think they gave it to Bendis.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Stay away from the Darkblade series unless you really like multiple characters going, "This was my plan ALL along!" over and over again.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

Keep in mind that Ravenor is in a profession where "you might get eaten by demons/xenos/cultists" is in the job description, so whatever happened to him must be pretty loving awful.

I thought the quote was kind ambiguous if it was about Ravanor or Eisenhorn.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Or maybe the big E lost that ability to connect to humanity when he made the primarches, since they have aspects of him.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Talon preorder is up for those with poor purchasing decisions.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/the-talon-of-horus-first-edition-hjjhg.html

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think the main thing is that he's not pathetic like Talos.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It mostly falls apart when he hooks up with Catti-brie.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Yo stop talking about your lame fantasy books in here. This is a thread for real literature.

...wet leopard growl.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

Seriously, how many of the imperium's problems are because of "if the Emperor had TOLD x..."

Pretty much all of them.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

It is such a loving shame that it ruled out being able to enter Doc Eldar :smith:

First thing I thought of when I saw the turn in ad.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Someone recently was gushing about the new Ahriman book, so I picked up Exile...I'm nearly halfway through it, but should I have read Thousand Sons first? Seems like I missed a bit somewhere...

As far as the Rubric is concerned? I haven't read Thousand Sons, but it's referenced enough in Talon of Horus enough that I knew what he was talking about.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I just thought it was funny he couldn't recall the name of the main character of the book.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Are rogue traders the only somewhat not crazy, muderous xenophobic assholes in the setting?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

So I finally got through Vengeful Spirit.

It wasn't the godawful clusterfuck I was expecting from this thread, but it was clearly tying up a lot of loose ends (like Unremembered Empire). Definitely some fat in there to trim and the whole pathfinders thing was just boring although Russ giving Loken poo poo for being struck dumb at killing Horus was hillarious

I think someone else commented on one thing that bugged me though. The brief, paragraph at most describing the fact that Horus spent possibly thousands of years in the warp raising armies, creating pacts, killing gods and monsters, winning demon wars and earning the powers of the Emperor through virtue of battle rather than trickery and then returned to find his sons standing around saying "dude, you were gone for about a minute"

I kinda want to know a bit more about that than "oh by the way yeah, that happened. Moving on".

Not about Horus, but something like this story is what the Black Legion series is about.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Max is actually the Emperor during the Age of Strife as he slowly worked his way into legend to unify humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Abyss posted:

I should really stop spending my entire leisure budget on omnibuses that I won't get to for another 2 years, but I just have to have all the stories.

Considering how bad BL is at reprinting stuff, I don't blame you for stocking up.