Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Raven Guard can invert their shields to make their ships invisible. But to do this they have to turn the internal lights out and all be quiet because SHHHHHHHHHHH. If you use that intercom the enemy will be able to detect the energy use, or hear it, or something. No, ignore that the power core and the engines are still running, just shut up and implement Darklight Protocols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The correct, as in, how the studio and every other English speaker I've heard, way to say it is "Zeench" rhyming with seench.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Their narrator is dreadful as well, that doesn't help.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I can't seem to force myself to read any more of Fear to Tread, so sod that and onto Path of the Incubus and Berserker.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A friend told me to. And I really liked Path of the Renegade. :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
What was it, I've managed to forget.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Have any of you read The Masque of Vyle yet? I'm reluctant to spend £12 on what looks like a short book.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

EyeRChris posted:

My problem with the Greater Good is, despite the Fire warrior on the cover we didn't get any Imperial / Tau back to the wall cooperation. I kinda wanted to see Imperial and Tau working together :(

Fire Warrior. It's out of print now, but it has what you want. I've just read it and, overall, it is really solid.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Schneider Heim posted:

Fire Warrior is in ebook form. Maybe I'll go check it out, since I loved Lord of the Night (same author).

Do you have a link? I couldn't find it on the BL site, would love to have my own copy.

Spurrier was really solid in both books, it's a shame he doesn't seem to have done much, if anything, more for B.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thank you.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Elrond Hubbard posted:

What are the audiobooks like? Is it just someone reading the story normally, or are there like a ton of sound effects and weird voices for all the characters?

Dreadful ham acting without the good grace to be entertaining, and stupid pew pew noises.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
People ignore the White Scars because they are a second rate Space Wolf mimic and their signature unit style is stolen from the Dark Angels. They have a good colour scheme, but it's really hard to paint well and lacks some of the more interesting unit marking details. Those things explain perfectly why they are unpopular.

Also, they are perfectly fine being 'white' as they are space marines and canonically do not have a fixed skin tone.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cream_Filling posted:

People thought Ultramarines were the most boring marines until Abnett did them a turn and made them interesting.

Unique and beautiful snowflakes thought they were boring. They have been consistently the most popular chapter since at least late second edition.

Also, marines are described as having their own weird physiognomy from the enlarged bone structures.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 6, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Sephyr posted:

I'm sorry to hear that. Dark Eldar could be fodder for so much disturbing fun sci-fi, but are criminally under-used. Path of the Renegade was lame and pointless, and I was hoping Incubus would do a better job, as they are a better observer/outsider to the society, what with having some honor and being focused on kicking rear end.

I enjoyed it, it's better than most BL output by a long way.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Typical Counter bullshit writing that's disconnected from the established fluff. Drop pods are barely big enough to hold the men they deliver. Still, that book is going to get exponentially more imbecilic, so enjoy what you can while you can.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It truly did lay the groundwork for the thing that is Battle for the Abyss.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Still, he's no Henry Zou.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My friend actually said to the guys who make GW's ipad rule books that he has pdf copies of them all (and that he buys the originals) and they didn't even blink. Although that was in the context of saying that he now had an ipad and was very pleased to finally have a legitimate avenue for digital versions.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, UK. We were standing in the middle of Warhammer World at the time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I seem to recall there being a rather cool scene at the end of one of the Imperial Guard books where a dead Guardsman enters the Emperors light and joins the host gathered there.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Blood Ravens are loving stupid and their hinted at heritage story is on a par with the product of a 12 year old writing fan fiction. gently caress the Blood Ravens.

They do have a cool colour scheme though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Or indeed the TV series Blackadder (the first season is pretty poor though).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Baron Bifford posted:

I rewatched the Ultramarines movie and some plot points made no sense. Like the fact that the characters all act like green recruits. Didn't they do a stint as Scout Initiates before becoming Battle Brothers?

The only good thing about that film, other than being fertile ground for jokes about checking for taint, is that the plot resolution device is literally an 'in case of emergency break glass' hammer.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

You can find it for sale on amazon usually. Not cheap though. Still pretty happy I got the hardcover complete liber chaotica when I did.

Much, much cheaper to get it from BL's print on demand service. If it's still on there, I'm not looking because gently caress the BL website. It always gives me inaccurate search results. In French. For things I wasn't searching for.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's fairly explicit in the fluff that the Tau practice (slow and discreet) mass sterilisation of their less desirable assimilated aliens. Such as humans.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Battle of the Abyss is a masterpiece in bad writing. It is a random act of xenos contrition inflicted upon the concept of writing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Dog_Meat posted:

It's one of those books that when you mention some bits from it you'd think it would be awesome (if you're 14). But it's just bad. Really bad.

A Space Wolf (called "Bring a Storm" or something) getting drunk and starting a bar fight with Ultramarines (who drops into the codex approved Guilliman fighting stance). A gigantic, planelt smashing ship (massive even by WH40k standard). Captain Genericus McUltramarine with his amazing dialog ("It [sic] cannot believe that the very ship carrying five companies of my battle-brothers and en-route to Calth was destroyed before reaching Vangelis in a random act of Xenos contrition"). Word Bearers dropping like Imperial Storm Troopers in fire fights with our band of plucky heroes. Space Wolf Growly McAlebeard taking out the ship by jumping into the reactor with a melta bomb and an axe (or something else retarded).

Sounds great. Until you read it. Take out the loyalist marines from the traitor legions and you have a story that would be instantly forgettable in 40k.

Don't forget that the Space Wolf actually drinks ale from his beard. Oh, and the Giant book on the giant ship that is actually a giant pop-up giant gun book that opens to fire the giant metaphorical Word of Lorgar. Giant.

VanSandman posted:

All of it was the most stupid bits.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In these sorts of stories the answers are almost never as fulfilling as the question promises. For example:

Q: "What happened during the Heresy."
A: "Battle for the Abyss."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really want Dembski-Bowden to be given the task of writing fluff for the codex books. It would be such an amazing leap in quality. Even if it was just the flavour quotes they put in little box outs.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 30, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

UberJumper posted:

Wait, i thought humanity was older than the Eldar? It was my impression humanity was the dominant power during the dark age of technology, with the help of the men of iron. Then when humanity fell due to the war between men of iron, the Eldar made their great empire only to fall to slaneesh?

The Eldar were created by, and lived alongside, the Old Ones. As mentioned they beat the Necrons at their height. The Necrons ended up the way they are out of envy for the Eldar in their prime.

If the Dark Age of Technology humans spread across the galaxy (as opposed to being the Tau to the Eldar's Imperium) then it was because the Eldar allowed it. The pointy ears were quite preoccupied with bumming themselves into Armageddon at the time.

pentyne posted:

Speaking of the great Eldar empire, how great could it have been when all their worlds were consumed by the Eye of Chaos, a region of space a fraction the size of the Imperium.

Those where the core worlds. Centered around the homeworld. The worlds further out throughout the galaxy just ended up depopulated when the psychic shockwave hit.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

VanSandman posted:

It seems to me that if humanity's evolutionary destiny is to all become psykers, then they'll need to evolve something like the Eldar's 'no chaos craziness' gene. Anything in the fluff about that at all?

No such thing. Why do you think the Eldar fell and why do you think the Dark Eldar are as they are now? While the Craftworlders and Exodites broke away and changed their ways the Commorites are a linear continuation of the pre-fall Eldar society.

That they don't physically mutate in the same way humans do does not mean a lack of corruption, spiritual or physical. Their mania for self-mutilation and extreme body modification are their own version of the (un)natural alterations chaos causes in humans. And Craftworlders can certainly be corrupted into becoming Dark Eldar (or perhaps more commonly pirates).

I'm not sure if that is explicitly written down anywhere (other than the Ranger who went to Commorragh in the DE trilogy) , but I heard it from the mouth of Phil Kelly.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
And the reason the DE don't burst forth daemons is because they are so terrified of the consequences of using their psychic powers (never having learnt the control of the paths) that they deliberately allow them to atrophy to uselessness. And Vect is, if anything, even more hardcore on chasing down rogue psykers within his realm than the Inquisition is in the Imperium.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's both. a full STC machine is a combination repository of all knowledge and cornucopia machine. The Imperium finding a complete STC machine (not just a template) is one of the endgame scenarios for 40k.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

VanSandman posted:

Space wolves are roughly 10 times that number, I think.

Yeah, each great company is chapter sized.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Angry Lobster posted:

Where is that mentioned? Haven't read the last couple of codex, so maybe I'm a bit out of date, but never thought them to be that big.
I can't remember now I think about it. I might well have made that up or be confusing it with something else. Sorry.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Nephilm posted:

Who uses skulls besides humans?

The Necrons fly them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

VanSandman posted:

Which is why the first Dark Angels book is good.

Nothing about that On Caliban book is good. It's badly On Caliban written, nonsensical, poo poo. On Caliban.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

VanSandman posted:

Nah Horus was still loyal at Ullanor. Ward can play the Ork Warboss.

Ward would be Magnus. Talented and well-meaning, but if you let him into the fluff room bad things happen.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You win this round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I like to believe that every language in 40k, irrespective of race, is a UK regional dialect.