Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Makes sense that a plagiarist would steal place names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cythereal posted:

I'm reading The First Heretic for the first time in a while, and Cyrene's character really sticks in my craw. ADB can write female characters well, Betrayer is proof of that, but most of the time he strikes me as uncomfortably skeevy. Cyrene is introduced as an alluring 17 year old prostitute with years of experience and powerful lovers and is naked under her robe.

Really? Still not the most godawful female character in 30k or 40k, but that's not saying much.

Nice job with the pedophilia, ADB.

It's pretty obviously a deliberate decision to slap the reader in the face and make them look at what is happening in the story. Remind them that poo poo is hosed up and you should think about what's happening. It's the same trick as he used with the baby in the Night Lords trilogy. That you didn't understand that is on you, not him.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Just to be clear. He didn't 'put paedophilia into a book,' he made an oblique allusion to it for the sake of character background and an insight into the deeply imperfect culture of the 'Perfect City.' To counter the impression that the Emperor was laying waste to a wonderful city that Lorgar, who thought himself the innocent party, had created.

If an author using a tool to make you as a reader uncomfortable, so that you question your biases and the motivations of characters, is something you can't understand or handle then you either need to grow up or go back to Mr Men books. Because your freak out in this thread is incredibly puerile.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
BL ones certainly. The Twin Peaks audiobook was awesome.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Demiurge4 posted:

Armageddon is implied to be Ullanor, where the emperor quit the great crusade and gave Horus the title of Warmaster..

Which in turn is implied to be the Ork home world iirc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Pyrolocutus posted:

One of the post-DI books (Carrion Throne I think) had someone seeing a mural in the Imperial Palace and going "wait didn't the Emperor only have nine sons :thunk:" and getting a "DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO THAT" in response.
I really liked that detail because it's in the lower levels of the throne room and the Custodes have no illusions about the past or desire to erase it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I refuse to entertain the proposition that anything by Kyme is 'great'. Good loving God!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I started the new Cawl novel, and it's bad writing even for BL standards. Actually unreadable. As I can't force myself to wade through the loose stool water to find out what Cawl is doing, is there a good synopsis?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Sniffs finger.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

KM Scorchio posted:

So, should I have read before then recent Cawl The Great Work book? Head it’s decent but not clear if I can be read as a stand alone.

It works as a stand alone. So long as you know the basic gist of what the Primaris are and that Girlyman has returned.

Try not to be put off by how absolutely cretinously incompetent the first few pages are. Once Cawl appears the writing picks up a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Xenomrph posted:

The November issue of White Dwarf has a bit about Inquisitors and mentions that Jokaero make “digital weapons” and lists off ring-weapons and finger lasers as examples. “Digital weapons” in this context means “weapons one wears on their digits (fingers)”, right? Like basically miniaturized weapons?

I also didn’t realize the Inquisition had smaller Ordos outside of the main three, and the examples they gave were hilarious (literal time-cops, or the group that does gently caress knows what, and the other group whose sole mission is figuring what the gently caress the first group does).

I always liked the stuff about the Ordo Time Cops all vanishing/ceasing to exist for a few hundred years, and then one day just suddenly existing again.