Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
I did not know CS Goto was that bad. In "Let the Galaxy Burn" short story collection his contribution was one of the few I actually remembered any detail about. Most of them were just some variation of poo poo falling apart for someone.

Also, what are some good Omnibus titles other then the ones listed? Is Grey Knights by Ben Counter any good? Also are there any books that follow someone besides the Imperium or Chaos space marines? The only ones I could find were Eldar ones by CS Goto, but even on Amazon they have lovely reviews.

drkhrs2020 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
How's the novel based on the Tau FPS Fire Warrior? The Amazon reviews are pretty evenly divided between "great" and "complete poo poo".

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Nephilm posted:

Here's how Tau diplomacy works:

*points gun* Dissolve your existing government structures and join our highly stratified caste-system empire, were you'll be third class citizens forever. *cocks gun* It's for the Greater Good (lit. "The Tau Way") of all.

They're only "pretty cool" in that they prefer subjugation over annihilation of other species, but even when fully integrated they're treated like untouchables by the Tau castes.

I think the newer fluff has hinted at some much more grimdark stuff going on in the Tau empire wrt the Ethereals and their subjugation of other races. The one major Tau hero who broke away apparently discovered some awful secret about the ruling government.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

I think it was the same Abnett book where they mention a case where two scouts found an ancient STC print-out for a better way to make a combat knife. In the end, they were rewarded with a planet each for their discovery.

I remember this, it was some 'mono-filament' knife that became standard issue to all IG. Apparently 1 planet each was considered a huge bargain for the design.

Demiurge4 posted:

It still gets to me that Horus didn't try to trick that one planet into giving him the only fully functional STC in the galaxy. And instead went balls out invasion and had it blown up in Angrons face.

From what it says, the planet with STC tech had its front line troops in Space Marine equivalent gear.

Yeah, common sense doesn't matter when it comes to technology. Specifically, the tech priests. For starters

- Forge worlds don't share templates, so if the only world with a plasma pistol template gets eaten by a hive fleet, no more will ever get made
- They always wake up any Necron tech they find
- They plot how to sway Tau machine spirits to their side via bribing
- Replace as much flesh with metal as possible
- Advise wholesale destruction on any human planet with non Adeptus Mechanicus infrastructure

I recall one planet during the Macharian Crusade that by itself held off the Crusade fleet for 2 years until they got fed up and directed a massive comet to hit the planet.

Think of it like a monopoly. The AM don't care about advancing only improving technology, or worshiping it and keeping anyone else from cutting it.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

The fluff of the DH book (Book of Judgement) is great at fluffing out both the Arbites and their opponents- which is good, because in terms of mechanics, it varies between iffy and :shepicide: (seriously, a 1d10+9 shotgun with semi-auto capabilities?).

I've always seen the Arbites glossed over or given a cursory mention, but they seem ripe for a good story. They're basically the Federal Marshals of the Imperium and would make a great vehicle for a hard boiled detective story.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Nephilm posted:

Except the codex was laid down by a primarch, during and after the great crusade and accounting for the numerous threats they faced in their conquest of the galaxy and foreseeing for possible future strategic/tactical scenarios, and further added onto during the thousands of years since.

It is a sacred text, but it loving works. Saying that a military textbook doesn't account for the kind of mundane poo poo that is thrown at it in books like the Ultramarines series, or that it doesn't have clauses for what to do when preferable procedure is unfeasible in critical situations, is being blind and stupid and completely relegating something so pivotal to the identity of most space marine chapters as a mere excuse to say "Ventris is a maverick, he doesn't play things by the codex!".

The introduction of the Tyranids had them wrecking the Ultramarines poo poo so thoroughly they were forced to give up a planet they had oath-sworn to defend. Their chapter master went into a penance fast/mediation for a while and then decreed that adhering to the Codex was their undoing because nothing in it could account for the way Tyranids wage war/consume everything.

But there are still moments of "But the Codex Astartes says...!" in W40k video games and books.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

I do not understand why writing the 42nd millenium will destroy interest in the 41st. You can write stories set in the Imperium's future just as much as you can in its past, with the tabletop game still firmly remaining in the 41st.

They're running into a wall, and have done events,(Gothic War, War for Armageddon, 13th Black Crusade) all the way up to 999.M41, the last year of the 40th millennium. They can either pull a reboot like the World of Darkness franchise or just stay stagnant and no longer do any major worldwide events like they have in the past.

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't like the idea that the High Lords are a bunch of disingenous frauds. I like the idea that they're all deluded, doing what they THINK is the Emperor's will.

They are the absolute top of the social/political/economic hierarchy, so they know the truth about all the religious bullshit and ongoing wars with the various alien races, so I highly doubt they're concerned with the Emperor outside of keeping the Astronomican working.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Age of Apostasy? The Plague of Unbelief? Battle of the Fang? Numerous Foundings? Literally ten-thousand years of empty history into which they can easily shoehorn something? All the stuff you mentioned has happened in the last one-thousand years of 40K (M41.)

This was long before they licensed the LOTR stuff. That being said, I can't find any verification of the lawsuit through Google, so maybe it was just a rumor.

I was referring to the actual game tournaments that GW would hold every year or so to advance the plot and timeline. They can't really do any more of those the way they used to.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Thewittyname posted:

Has there been any GW fluff that pits Gork and Mork against the Chaos gods, or anything that even hints that they inhabit the same realms?

If the Gods' strengths are based on presence in the warp, then the ork gods are at the top of the totem pole completely unchallenged and too busy fighting each other to really care about the punks living in the Eye of Terror. I read a GW line about the Orks that every deep space probe the Imperium has sent out in any direction is detecting Orks no matter how far out they go, implying that the Imperium/Eldar/Tau are just tiny islands in a massive sea of green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

Therion posted:

In the 40k context "radical" usually means "fucks around with Chaos powers". If anything, the purest Emperor-fearing monodominants are the ones who would wipe out a planet because it had a few heretics on it.

Eisenhorn and Ravenor really are exceptions to the Inquisition, especially since Abnett's whole shtick is taking a character that is supposed to be an rear end in a top hat and making him a nice person.

They never really make it clear where "radical" becomes "rogue". Rogues are actively hunted by the Inquisition and brought in, usually so the radicals can learn everything the rogues did then execute them or put them in a cell. There seem to be radical cabals operating together and not being questioned by other Inquisitors until a demon wrecks havoc on a planet or chaos cults turn up. Where they draw the line is arbitrary depending on the author.