Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Telsa Cola posted:

Cain was secretly that commissar that staged that massive break out on Commiragh which hosed up an okay chunk of the city.

Also absolutely destroyed a wych in the arena.

I remember that story, not bad for older 40k fiction where things were a lot more miss than hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

The one about the ultramarine turning plague marine then redeeming himself was also pretty solid and like the only instance of anything remotely like that happening in the lore from what I can tell.

In AoS there's at least one named Stormcast who was a Champion of Nurgle that got redeemed. But otherwise it's rare beyond fanfiction characters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/07/black-library-book-of-the-year-the-son-of-the-forest/

Kind of surprised at the first pick. Especially considering 2nd and 3rd place.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Can't wait for a sequel to show up when 40k 12th edition is out and the plot has crawled its way past that. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

Didn't they cut Thorpes Phoenix Lord and Ynnari series short? Or was that due to other factors.

I liked the Phoenix books at least.

They did.
Due to poor sales. :v: At least according to what I saw Gav post on twitter way back then.

And that was probably one reason we didn't see that many Xenos books for quite some time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/17/sunday-preview-all-together-now-waaagh/

You want some books? Of course ya do!

Another slow pre-order weekend for books, only one book this time.

In this case it's Lord of Excess by Rich McCormick

quote:

The Emperor’s Children are among the most violently hedonistic warriors in the galaxy, living in pursuit of ever-greater sensation and gratification. The warband known as the Adored are no exception, but their leader, Xantine, is tired of petty raids on meagre worlds. When an Imperial bastion cut off by warp storms is found to hold a massive cache of priceless rejuvenat treatments, the allure of building a perfect fiefdom in his own image proves too great to resist…

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That's how BL usually works, prospects get to write one or two short stories and then maybe get a chance for a full novel.
And then sales or public interest determines if they get to write another one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fellblade posted:

Stopping reading a three part story after the second book is wild, what kind of monster does that.

Because BL never released the third part. That's what they did with the Dark Heresy RPG tie-in books at least.
Which was a shame since it was a Sandy Mitchell book and was pretty good.

I remember reading Rite of Passage and enjoying everything but the bits from the bad guy POV. Which were just so "Haha you see how EVIL I am?" that couldn't stand them after that posse had been introduced.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nessus posted:

I believe fellblade was razzing me for wanting a break from Eisenhorn after two novels :v: Since there are three in the omnibus you see

Ah, fair point.

But I'm still miffed about the missing 3rd Dark Heresy book though. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/27/discover-the-untold-story-of-the-siege-of-vraks-in-this-new-death-korps-of-krieg-novel/

This week's Black Library reveal is a new Death Korps of Krieg book, set on Vraks.

Obviously there's a collectors edition version.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The constant shovel memes haven't helped.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's two things for me.
The absolute whiff of an ending or the meaningless subplot that contributes to sod all in the end.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kylaer posted:

Which meaningless subplot, aren't there several?

Fair point, but I always found the PDF one the most egregious. Mostly because it takes up too much page space compared to the Princeps or toymaker ones.
Well the PDF and the associated husband bit that just... ends without much to it.

The big reason it's there I suspect is just for bit about watching a titan fight on the ground, after that bit it had served its purpose and Abnett just let it run for too long and then came up with an abrupt ending to it.

The tank crew one is good, because it does tie into the campaign plot. Problem is of course that it doesn't have a good enough payoff because it gets quickly summarised as "Stuff happens".

The AdMech bits are good though, issue is of course it takes up so much page space that a lot of the other things stuffers.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 31, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fair, but whenever I re-read Titanicus I'm always struck by how uninteresting that subplot is compared to everything is else going on. v:v:v
But then a lot of that book feels undercooked because how much is going on so. Like it has its moments, but overall it feels bloated.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/31/sunday-preview-nightmares-pyres-and-gnomes/

Would you like some books? Of course ya do!

Guard fans will be eating decently next weeked, with two books going up for pre-order.

First up there's Deathworlder by Victoria Hayward.

Available in all the first wave formats, such as hardback, ebook and audiobook.

Pretty sure this one had a Collectors Edition release some months ago. Unless GW's release pipeline for anything but 40k and AOS has been really sluggish.

Then there's the softback version of Shadow of the Eighth by Justin D Hill.

And because we can't go too long without Space Marines showing their mug, there is also a series of Space Marines Successor Chapters short stories coming out as ebooks next week.

Wouldn't surprise me if we see at least a couple of the authors here getting a full length novel announced. So keep your eyes open.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Feels like Black Library might have some issues behind the scenes with the flow of books having reduced to a trickle. If it's supply issues or others I have no idea.

But Deathworlder was announced at the end of November and is going up for pre-order this week in April. Which implies there's either a release pipeline issue or supply issue.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

mllaneza posted:

LOL if GW loses another major shipment to a terrorist attack.

The initial Titanicus release for the US market was on the plane that was blown top over Lockerbie.

:stonklol:

D-Pad posted:

They get their books printed in China so the speculation was stuff got held up by the houthi's being on one and the ships having to take the long way around. The announcement about those LE delays were shortly after that all popped off.

Yeah, I figure it's mainly a supply issue behind it.

Although it feels like there has been a rather slow rate of new books being announced, most of the time it's just been reprints. So there might be more going on.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/07/sunday-preview-green-or-gold/

You want some books? Of course ya do!

A bunch of books going up for pre-order next weekend.

First up there's the special edition of Mike Brooks' Da Big Dakka, limited to 1500 copies.

For the mortals realms we first have Dead Kingdom, the new Cado Exechiar book by John French.

Available in the usual first wave formats; hardback, eBook, and MP3 audiobook.

Then there's the paperback release of Children of Teclis by Evan Dicken.

Supposedly a "modern classic Lumineth Realm-lords adventure" but who can say. v:v:v

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Funny enough I've seen a bunch of photoshops for that.

Also that Mia tweet crossed my timeline and I was incredibly confused if it was honest or just a weird bait for clicks.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Also seems like this is something ADB wanted to include in novels previously, but was shut down because GW didn't have any current or plans to run out female custodes minis at the time

Apparently the reason why he was shot down was because all the models are male. :v:
https://old.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/aynlxa/its_international_womens_day_so_how_are_we/ei3rp64/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

They’re in the Warhammer Vault, at least.

Can't remember it's everyone though and not just a selective couple. I remember seeing Vraks and Badab War being added last year or something, but no idea if they've actually added more stuff or not.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/17/court-lelith-hesperax-in-a-new-special-edition-novel-from-black-library/

This weeks Black Library news is definitely not something I would've expected to happen.

Because it's Lelith Hesperax: Queen of Knives by Mike Brooks.

Guess Da Big Dakka gave him a taste for more.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Azubah posted:

Is Let the Galaxy Burn still in publication? That was my first 40k book, has a bunch of cool short stories.

Might be available digitally but otherwise long since OOP.

I re-read it last year and found it to be kind of middle at times with a few outstanding bangers. Maybe one day I'll try to submit a proper review to Goonhammer or something. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And neither is Erebus.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/21/sunday-preview-the-tau-empire-needs-you/

Do you want some books? Of course ya do!

Next weekend is a mixed bag of paperback and anthology releases.

First up there's War for the Mortal Realms, an anthology containing stories by Chris Wraight, Josh Reynolds, and Darius Hinks.

Then Yndrasta: The Celestial Spear by Noah Van Nguyen is getting a paperback release at last.

For those who haven't gotten The End and The Death: Volume II yet, it's also getting a paperback release.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I am Ian Watson, and I was the first.

I am Gav Thorpe, and I got away with things because a'm of the old guard.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I am Nick Kyme, the chaos lord of nepotism.

Granted, probably an apt one for Gav as well.

I am Charles Stross, I invented the gith and wrote for GW before finding better things to do.

I am Sandy Mitchell, my palms tingle as I wrote this and things never turned out the way they did.

I am Matthew Farrer, GW should have let me write more for them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The audio drama that introduced the characters was pretty solid from my memory and I've had that book on my wishlist for ages now. Just a lot of other books that take precedence over it whenever i buy a couple.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/28/sunday-preview-white-dwarf-500-and-legions-imperialis-hardware/

You want some new books? Of course ya do.

But next weekend is pretty meagre however, the only (english language) release is the paperback version of Ciaphas Cain: Vainglorious by Sandy Mitchell.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not for a while, the last major novel was Choose your Enemies.

And they came out with an anthology collecting a bunch of short stories last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I frankly prefer Counter over Thorpe because Daemon World is kinda silly fun from what I remember it and I enjoyed some of his short stories in Let the Galaxy Burn and other older anthologies I've read.

And I can't rag on McNeill too much either, because of the glorious silliness that is Business as Usual with Snowdog.

Wonder if Goonhammer needs someone who does reviews of Warhammer novels, already been meaning to do one for Godsbane but I also did write down thoughts on a couple of old anthology collections I've read.