Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I didn't realize how far behind I'd fallen with the Gaunt's Ghosts series. Grabbed the last omnibus and am devouring it now. I enjoy Abnett's descriptions of Chaos characters, and the creeping corruption that comes with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm almost done Scourge the Heretic and it's not bad at all. I was wondering if Sandy Mitchell could write something more serious than his Ciaphas Cain books. There's not much depth and holy poo poo does this guy like the word "diffident" but it's otherwise acceptable.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I guess I'm sort of behind on everything but I just finished "The Lost" Ghosts omnibus last night. Good lord. That was some intense stuff.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm still early in Soul Hunter but goddamn this is written well. It's the kind of book that makes me want to sit there and just go from beginning to end.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Finished Soul Hunter today. Man. That guy makes almost every character interesting, even the ones that are introduced and killed on the same page. :black101:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In everything I've read dreadnoughts are somehow always the best character. Either they're bellowing warcries and smushing everything in sight or they're annoyed by how everyone reveres them and they just want to:

a. Go back to sleep
b. Kill everything

I think it was the Dark Apostle series where the dreadnought had a sort of Alzheimer's and each time he went into battle he thought it was the assault on the Emperor's Palace. He'd be tearing poo poo up and yelling about he was coming for the Emperor, like someone's deranged grandpa stripping off his pants and running down the street.

Edit: Grandpa's yelling about Obama again! Keep him away from the multi-melta!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 22, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Wasn't this the Blood Angel omnibus? I swear this was a Death Company dreadnought. That or something really similar happened with a Death Company character; I distinctly remember someone reliving the Emperor's Palace battle as the Emperor and seeing every Chaos cultist as Horus in that book.

I looked it up, and it was the Warmonger from the Word Bearer's books I mentioned.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just finished Brothers of the Snake and I think the first and last chapters have some of the best Astartes/Human interaction in any of the books. I've read plenty of Chaos stuff so I'm used to them being terrible to humans, or at the least highly superior, like the Night Lords series. But this struck a really nice balance between service and superiority. Space Marine/Human stuff is at its best when you see that they're definitely not human (there's alot of this in Prospero Burns) but Brothers of the Snake adds the service component, showing a sort of kindness that's uncommon in these books.

When you consider that several chapters also feature mind-bending ultraviolence it makes those first and last chapters that much better. A nice change from alot of Chaos marine books in a row.

I know I mentioned the Dark Apostle books earlier to talk about dreadnoughts, but I think I forgot to say what a great job they did showing how Chaos corrupts people taken as slaves. Some really disturbing stuff including peeling back the forehead skin and implanting a metal chaos symbol underneath. That whole plotline was well-done and reminded me of some of the Gaunt's Ghosts Gereon stuff.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sramaker posted:

So i should avoid The Road to Dune?

I'm picturing this being a Bob Hope/Bing Crosby movie.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Just finished the first Space Wolves omnibus by William King and although it's not the worst I've read it's pretty weak. Certainly could have benefited from better editing. It doesn't help that I read Prospero Burns this year which was the first book that made the Space Wolves seem interesting to me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

You are aware that those books are some of the first ever BL novels published, right? Also, Bill King is a very pulpy writer - you're not going to get to the level of Abnett with him.

I enjoyed the Inquisition Wars (as strange as they were) and I thought some of those books were also quite early.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

pentyne posted:

It was also written at a time where tons of 'mainstream' sci-fi writers would moonlight and right genre fiction under alternate names because they thought it was beneath them, and Watson was told by his peers that he was crazy for using his real name.

Watson was given a brief primer on what the W40K universe was at the time, and given free reign because of his fame/status and no one at GW ever seconded guessed him or said "You can't do that"

It's a really interesting trilogy I've been meaning to finish mostly because it portrays an somewhat different W40k universe then what the modern fluff has degenerated into and gets attention mostly for including squats, but it's also technically well written and a joy to read.

It's a great depiction of obsession, as well as how Chaos can work its way into someone's mind and corrupt them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've accumulated 43 WH40k books on an Amazon wish list. I need to do some organizing and start knocking these things out! By the time I'm done the HH series might have reached Terra.

Might.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Xae posted:

Is Black Library still doing that stupid thing where they refused to put their Ebooks on Amazon?

Over the years of reading this thread when I see a recommendation I toss it in that Amazon list, even if it says it's unavailable. When I found that Amazon had changed the lists so that they sometimes purge items completely I had to make a backup spreadsheet. That's where I track things like the order books are supposed to be read (ex: HH) or if something I added is part of an omnibus. I track the books I've read because sometimes I get the titles mixed up in my head.

So until I actually decide to read a specific title I don't even know what the source will be.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 5, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I fell 3000+ posts behind so I skipped them all.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm so far behind. I started tracking the books I've read and the ones I need to read and I think I'm going to have to retire just to have the time to keep up to date.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

New Gaunt's Ghosts AND Eisenhorn? :stonklol:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I remember a book where a human was trained to act as a chapter storyteller for space marines, and at one point he winds up in the middle of an important meeting of space marines and primarchs. They close in to question and examine him and he finds it terrifying because they are not simply large humans, but large, ultra-powerful creepy as poo poo weirdos. I think one of them even says "Hey we should ease up because we're scaring the poo poo out of this poor human."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Prospero Burns, in the Horus Heresy series.

Answer must be in the form of a question, so no points for you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Fury_Interceptor
These are the standard Imperial Navy void fighters.
Length stated at 40-70 meters which is a hell of a lot of variation.
Sadly there's very little written about the imperial navy, and all of it is old and highly inconsistent.

This is the only 40k aviation movie I want to see...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I enjoyed Priests of Mars, but "Kayrn Sylkwood?" Really, McNeill? That's almost as dumb as "Teh Roxxor" in the Death Star book.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

For a while I tried to maintain a spreadsheet of recommended WH books from this thread, in some sort of continuity order but the wheels have come off. I need to perform a Great Reconciliation and get this sorted out so I can start buying again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Wasn't there a Chaos infected AI controlled tank in the Gaunt book on Gereon?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Even in death I still shine on you crazy diamond.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Miguel Prado posted:

From the guy that did those Helsreach films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bgi5STRe8E

:hellyeah:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I badly need to review my list of Warhammer books that were worth buying. I'm seeing references to living primarchs so holy poo poo I must be so far behind the storyline. Probably need to put them in some sort of chronological order too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If people will pay to read about kids getting blasted with a gauss flayer I guess that's cool.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Waiting for a Tiny Toons take on the Primarchs...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

A Vermintide TC to 40k would work great. So many stories are about making a last stand against orks, tyranids, etc.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Isn't Eisenhorn's sword some sort of psychic weapon, while Gaunt's is a good old fashioned battery-powered blasto-sword?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Fromundahive

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

There is no 40k character name dumber than Lion El'Jonson.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

That’s a good name for sure, but in my Opinion it doesn’t hold a candle to obiwan sherlock clousseau

Hahaha what the gently caress is this? Elon Musk's next child?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's taken me about five years to catch up to this thread but I'm glad I did.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

After years of reading 40k stuff I'm finally on "Deliverance Lost" and it's so weird to read about the Emperor talking to people, even if via possessing someone, or telepathy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm almost done with Anarch and the sequence in the undercroft was the best example of creeping, smothering, claustrophobic horror I have ever read. I couldn't stop reading because I wanted to get out of there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

For the first time since I started reading this thread about eight years ago I am caught up. You mad bastards sure can post!

I've read a crapload of 40k books thanks to you all, and I wound up having to maintain a spreadsheet to keep track of everything you recommend so I can read things in the proper order. I have almost 80 books on there!

Thanks to the early Gaunt's Ghosts books 40k quickly became one of my favorite franchises and it's great that there are so many quality authors involved.

EDIT: I see now that back in 2018 I skipped 3,000 posts to try to catch up!

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 8, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ever since I found this thread I've been maintaining a spreadsheet to keep track of all the recommendations, moving each book to a separate tab when I've completed it. I currently have 81 books on the "To Read" tab!

I try to read the ones related to the Horus Heresy in order, but as they keep writing more it's difficult to keep track of where new ones fit in. I think I'll have to do some sort of grand re-ordering but I'm not looking forward to it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

I've been doing the same with a Google docs file, I'd love to see your sheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/101jfEEO6ibqHJK7yzDULddtgkAQO3jNSUevmw0Oe61s/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

D-Pad posted:

I posted a new Horus heresy book chart a couple of weeks ago in the thread that breaks down all the various plotlines and books.

I saw that, but when I clicked on it I got a "file not found" error. Still do.

THIS IS HERESY!