Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sup, thread. I got a kindle with a fairly comprehensive Black Library collection on it. I've been just finished the Cain series, and though (incredibly) repetitive, they've been a decent time waster on long bus rides. Well, decent enough for a "how about we take Harry Flashman and make him not evil", which is pretty much on par with "How about we take Casanova and geld him" as far as homages go.

Then I tried to move on to "Gaunt's Ghosts". The first book opens with the heroic Gaunt leading his men in the trenches of World War I INSPACE, while general Evil McBadguyson rubs his pudgy well-manicured hands together and refers to his men as "those ants". I'm not sure I could stand to read this "aisle's of glory" stuff, period, but after going through the Cain series it's really absurd.

Since the OP rates this bunk as a 5/5 series, I feel as though I can't use it as a guide. Could you tell me which Black Library series are palatable, not as Warhammer fiction but on a general genre fiction level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've read Eisehorn and came back, as per thread title instructions.

Tanks for recommending the series, it was really quite good. I hope Ravenor is equally interesting (though a more cerebral protagonist may be a bit beyond the author's ability), but whatever will I read when I'm done with that (probably 18th century navy novels, then whatever that Hortaio Hornblower in space series was called)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 12, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I've finished:

Ravenor - which was pretty good, but not quite on Eisenhorn levels. A lot more predictable as well.

Edit - Part of it may have been landing on a particular thread discussion page when reporting my impressions of Eisenhorn.

Pariah - which had a lot of potential, bu turned out to be quite plodding. It seems as though future action will either have to be confined to this particular planet and involve the Scolae fellows, or waste a shitload of exposition.

15 Hours - decent enough for what it is (All is Quiet on the Western Front IN SPACE) but... you know, I could just directly to Remarque. There's a full collection on my shelf and everything.

Dark Heresy - Apparently it's pretty hard to write outright bad Inquisition stuff, and Sandy doesn't even succumb to his habit of repeating himself (much). Shame there are only two books in the series atm.

Space Hulk the Novel - I was kinda hoping for a comic about the Hulk smashing Space Marines. What I got instead:

"There was intelligence in Auletio's eyes... It was something Lorenzo had never seen in the eyes of another Space Marine." Also, it turns out that Space Marines are a bit like dogs in that they can't shoot up.

Pretty much everything else I've got atm is Space Marine / Imperial Guard stuff. Any of it really exceptionally good? (Besides Gaunt's Ghosts)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Arbite posted:

Just finished 'The Greater Good.'

Pretty good, but it doesn't explore the central premise as much as I would have liked. It does all come together nicely on the last page though.
That book made me give up on any future Caine exploits. I literally put it down to go "Are you making GBS threads me? loving tyranids and gene-stealers again?" It really felt as though the author was mocking me, knowing fully well how dreadfully tired the alternating orc/tyranid/orc/tyranid/orc AND tyranid stories were... only to go "Psych! gently caress you, have some more of the same poo poo!"

I almost didn't read the Heretic series because of that (glad I did though, that was pretty good)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

I don't know why you're surprised since the only thing Cain hasn't fought are Imperials and Eldar. From a fluff perspective, the area is under attack by Orcs and the odd splinter fleet.
He actually fought both, and the one book focusing on his fight against renegade imperials lead by Space Hitler was probably the best in the series.

I wouldn't necessarily say that certain factions are more fun than others (though I've yet to read anything that makes the Tyranids interesting) by Sandy really can't write an interesting / scary Tyranid/Orc encounter to save his life. (Oh yeah, now that the above comment mentions it, the Necron book was legit tense and intimidating)

Edit - "Caine actually fought a whole bunch of stuff" seems to be a point in agreement with "then why are all the books focused on two particularly boring factions", rather than an argument against it.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 8, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Impaired Casing posted:

On another note, was rereading the Inquisition War omnibus. I forgot how utterly good that author is at making the universe feel so... Alien. And grim dark, in a good way!
Inquisition War has some really good worldbuilding. Shame about everything else.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Having read the Eisenhorn / Ravenor series and the Inquisition War (disappointing in everything except world-building), I was still interested in more Inquisition stuff.

So I've read a book that apparently impressed me so much that I don't remember the name of a single character, nor the title. Still, it was fun in a fluffy sort of way, and I wouldn't mind checking out a sequel (presuming it had one)

An Inquisitor sends his team to investigate some thing on some world. Just as they arrive there, a merc group using xenotech busts open a prison containing a bunch of powerful psychics. They destroy the guard unit around the prison, and two of the guard survivors join the inquisitor team.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sounds exactly like the Dark Hersey tiemins from Sandy Mitchell
That's the one. Apparently I've even given it a brief review in this very thread. Shows how much of an impression these books left.