Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Thulsa Doom posted:

Chaos isn't just frothing insanity, it's also slow, chilling, methodical malevolence.

Chaos is Chaos. T'is in the name. Change, revolution, upsetting the status quo and so forth. 10k of stagnation and 'order' isn't what they'd want. Well, maybe Nurgle, but he is such a bore.

As to the Cabal, they are probably not a Chaos controlled group. Mainly because I don't want to see how that reveal would be handled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

wiegieman posted:

Dan Abnett made the Ultramarines loving awesome. At this point I'm not sure there's anything he can't do.

I'm reading Know no Fear at the moment and yes, this is very true.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Fellblade posted:

Psychic is using only your willpower to control the warp, Sorcery is using anything else. Sorcery often includes psychic powers but not always. That's the way I've always looked at it anyway.

You have to be a psyker to use psychic powers but you don't have to be one to use sorcery, it just simplifies things if you are.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
If they go back to "Oh no, high command hosed us over again and put us into an unusual situation instead of letting us play to our strengths" for the nth time I'll be somewhat disappointed. The books could really use some story progression beyond "Next battle, go".

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Anyone who doesn't like Larkin is a monster. Larks is pretty much the best ever.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

VanSandman posted:

How da WarBoss met 'is Mekboy.

Odd one out. Memoirs of a Weirdboy.

The riveting story of a fungus struggling to fit in among others his age.

"A coming of age story for the ages" -NY Post

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

EyeRChris posted:

Just finished the battle of the fang. I thought it was a pretty good book. Only thing that left me wondering at the end of it was...

He's Magnus and at that stage, probably ascended at least partially to deamonhood. The known galaxy has one psyker known to be more powerful than him and that is the Emperor. Didn't Magnus crunch a titan at some stage as well, with just his mind?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

EyeRChris posted:

Isn't it implied in the fluff somewhere that Zeech creates plans that could end the war but then works against those plans so that the war against Chaos marches on because once Humanity falls the universe wouldn't change any more and he'd lose power. Could have swore I read that in the fluff some where when reading up on the thousand sons but now can't find it.

I'm pretty sure a daemon made that point in some short story. Not really a trustworthy source.

Basically, Chaos is Chaos. Trying to 'humanize' the Gods by applying intent and desires doesn't really work. Tzeentch does what 'he' does because that's literally all 'he' knows how to do, and the same applies to the rest of the Gods. I like to think that whenever the books actually depict the Gods themselves, it's not actually the God, but some Greater Daemon doing his own thing. The Gods are after all amalgams of select thoughts and emotions from the collective psyche of all sentient races in the galaxy. Viewing them as individuals in our sense of the word doesn't really work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

VanSandman posted:

How do you pronounce Tzeentch anyway?

Ch-ee-su

(Nobody knows. Zeen-ch is probably the most common, though it varies from group to group.)