Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh hey, look, it just so happens that this guy from the new starter box is in that. That's gotta be a lucky coincidence right?

I think this might be a joke but uh, that's not the same guy by a long shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

But.... how? The Black Rage is the marine being overwhelmed by the memories of Sanguinius' death, caused by taking geneseed from him after that to rebuild the Legion..... *sigh*

This has always been a thing, the Blood Angels went crazy fighting a buttload of daemons the first time Sanguinius fought the Bloodthirster who he fucks up on Terra later on. The flaw was always there just only caused by extreme circumstances, his death meant that that extreme circumstance is a memory stuck inside the head of every single Blood Angel, hence the Black Rage of 40k time period.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Farming humanity would be the sensible thing to do. Chaos isn't sensible, it's a force of nature, you can't apply logic to it. There was nothing about exterminating humanity, just that Chaos is self-destructive in it's nature, combined with Horus' eventual realisation of what he did, would have been enough to weaken the powers of Chaos enough that they were no longer a threat to other sentient species.

The Orks have nothing to do with Chaos, the whole thing was based on the 'fact' that Chaos had become so invested in Humanity (to counteract the threat the Emperor's goals presented to them) that they we're all in no matter what. Humanity didn't create Chaos, but they are the deciding factor in it's 'future'.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

In the fluff I've read so far, the line between sorcery and "conventional" psychic powers is not well defined. The only thing I'm clear on is that sorcery involves explicit pacts with Chaos. Looking at specific powers described in rulebooks, there is a surprising amount of overlap.

Psychic is using only your willpower to control the warp, Sorcery is using anything else. Sorcery often includes psychic powers but not always. That's the way I've always looked at it anyway.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Therion posted:

It does not. They get rid of the beasts, then the Emperor comes down and makes them into Astartes, oh and they kill some poo poo afterwards.
Here, now you can read something better.

Also avoid Battle for the Abyss if you're going to continue with the series.

That's glossing over what's probably the best part of the book where it covers (admittedly for only a chapter or two) the transition from feudal backwater world into an Imperial Legion homeworld.

Battle for the Abyss is downright awful though.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Trast posted:

Didn't someone in the thread mention seeing Abnett at a signing and say he enjoyed making all of his fanboys cry out in agony?

I'm pretty sure it's more along the lines of if people complain and cry about characters dying then he knows he's done a good job of writing a character rather than some kind of malicious intent.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 1, 2012

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Mikojan posted:

Could someone remind me why exactly there is an understanding between Eisenhorn and Cherubael?

I mean, what exactly is stopping cherubael from just running off and do deamon-y things?

The bindings and wards used to bind it into the host and it's own enjoyment knowing it's made Gregor into exactly what he hates. At least as of Eisenhorn, I haven't got hold of Pariah yet.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Well the way I see it is over the years the Black Library's page count has stayed consistent, but it's font size has not. It seems like it's publishing shorter books for more money.

Now I don't know a massive amount about printing and publishing but I'm pretty sure that's not how it works, especially when the authors are being forced to cut down stuff they already have written to fit.

On top of that Fear to Tread for a recent example has 200 pages more than Horus Rising and the exact same font size.

The page length limit is stupid as hell but it's probably something to do with keeping books accessible to the kiddies.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Manifest posted:

The OP says I should read the first three Horus Heresy books, but is the op is written with someone who isn't familiar with 40k in mind, or because you have to read those books to understand what's happening in Legion or A Thousand Sons?
I ask because I'm having a hell of a time staying interested in the first book, and if I can just jump to the books by the authors I like, or about the chapters I'm interested in I will.
I'm pretty steeped in 40k nonsense, as I've been playing on and off since the early 90s so I know a bunch about the heresy already if that matters.

If you can't stay interested in an Abnett book then good luck sticking with any of the others.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

They've pretty much always been separate, the crossover stuff from way back was always just kind of silly wink-nudge fanservice, like the narrator of Liber Chaotica "dreaming" about Chaos Space Marines (as an excuse to put some CSM art in the book). They've become more serious about keeping the two universes distinct, but WH Fantasy was never "supposed" to exist in as a planet in the Eye of Terror or whatever.

Nudge-nudge wink-wink like bolters and power fists being weapons for Chaos champions in the early editions of fantasy? It was definitely supposed to be in the same universe at one point, it just got changed so now it's definitely not.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

JerryLee posted:

Quite possibly I need to go back and reread Emperor's Gift, but I didn't remember the Inquisition learning any (positive) lessons from the whole debacle. I remembered it ending with them grudgingly accepting the truce and then immediately starting to talk about how they could passive-aggressively screw over the Space Wolves in the future.

There's an epilogue or something detailing how the Inquisition never managed to get control of such a large force or something, or how they never let a single Inquisitor get so much power to himself. I forget the details but it's in there.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

From my understanding the only people that can tell an inquisitor to stuff it and expect it to stick is the leadership of a Space Marine chapter.

Everybody can tell an Inquisitor to stuff it, and nobody can tell an Inquisitor to stuff it.

Legally they have infinite power, but in reality their power only goes as far as their reputation and resources. If you are Joe Schmuck, Inquisitor for a week, then there's a massive amount of people who can tell you to get stuffed and suffer minor, if any, consequences. If you are a 300 year veteran, massively respected leader of sub-sector Ordos or something, there's basically nobody that can tell you what to do unless they are also an Inquisitor with similar reputation and resources.

It's like some kind of mafioso or roman senate type organisation where who owes who a favour is more important than ranks and titles.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Impaired Casing posted:

And, quick question to people who know the fluff better than I: How long does Magnus sit around before he decides to join Horus? Because I can't see why he would want to, aside from just getting revenge, and when does he actually become a disciple of Tzeentch, because it sounds like Magnus should hate the guy.

Based on stuff from Betrayer he was in contact with them but not actually working with them actively until Terra.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I thought ends of the book was really weak. You follow a boy who becomes a knight and then a space marine. You learn very little about the Primarch and even less about the supposed plot against the Emperor. The book was entirely pointless in the context of the Horus Heresy, if it had been a standalone I probably would have liked it more.

The end was my favourite bit from a lore angle, you get to experience the way the Imperium crushes the native culture of planets from the native viewpoint and it sets up the 'traitor' Dark Angels as being more interesting than just chaos worshippers and more seperatists.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I love this summary except for the last bit. The Imperium does all this sacrifice and brutality because it is often the best thing they can think of. The 41st Millenium is a dark age, a time of great unenlightment. The rulers are corrupt, callous, and stupid. Contrast human strategies with the Eldar and the Tau, who are far more creative.

This is why 40k is good, because you are both right.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

The Space Marine creation process seems contradictory. The fluff says that the neophyte needs to be an adolescent or the gene-seed implants will probably malfunction, but the Space Marine ostensibly only recruit from the most fearsome warriors in the galaxy. The most fearsome and accomplished warriors are usually adults. There are not many 12-year-old Conans out there.

In the real world the onset of puberty has fluctuated throughout history from between age 12 and 18 due to standard of living, nutrition and stuff. So at least the age part can be 'explained' away.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

ed balls balls man posted:

Calpurnia is a great series for roleplayers, goes really in depth to the Imperium at home and covers a bunch of bases.

I know they get good rep in this thread but I would be aware that while these books get the setting right and are good background research for roleplaying, they are also stupidly verbose sometimes. It felt reading a 10,000 page legal document straight out of 40k, especially in the later books.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The 'no soul' thing is based on the fact that presence in the warp is called a soul to link it easily to a concept most people understand, not that the presence in the warp is literally a soul as most people would understand it.

It makes sense that a sufficiently powerful psyker could charge something up to fill the gap caused by the blanks lack of warp presence. Also Abnett always has and always will write 40k-lite, it's just his take on it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Also abnett didn't seem to care about the results when writing ravenor/eisenhorn (orks destroyed scarus according to the campaign).

Eisenhorn/Ravenor takes place 600 years before the Eye of Terror campaign.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Chris Wraight's new HH novel is a serialized ebook. Umm, what. That pricing.

I hate the person that is trying to push this awful marketing. I am getting upset about plastic man books.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I feel like an old man, I think I'm going to write a letter to GW HQ complaining.

Quit gettin' mad 'bout 'hams.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The bit in the Soul Hunter series with the Ultramarines successor chapters is more brilliant stuff along the same lines.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Because the whole point of 40K is the stagnation - the eternal war against Chaos.

Somebody find the big ADB post about this topic so I can empty quote it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

And what is the ADB post? I don't think I've seen it.

I probably read it on his blog somewhere but it goes into detail about his understanding of the 40k universe and why it is so enthralling, mainly that unanswered questions with hints held just out of reach hold people's attention much more effectively than just telling them what's up. I want to say it was around the time Emperor's Gift came out and he was talking about the changes in the GK codex and how he had to change the novel.

I'm at work at the moment (posting about plastic mans fiction) so I can't get the link.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

And then he killed him and burned his church because he disagreed.

I seem to remember the guy killed himself in the fire rather than live in a world where the god he spent his life being devoted to told him to stop being dumb and worshipping him.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Honestly i remember reading this too. I am not sure where, but i distinctly remember that knowledge of the Horus Heresy was somewhat not public knowledge.

I find the knowledge of certain things by the imperial people, to be rather odd. For example i seem to recall that at a point the inquisition chased a bunch of guardsmen trying to exterminate them, burning worlds after worlds to kill them because they knew of the chaos/warp. Yet in Gaunts Ghosts, everybody seems to know about Chaos/Traitor marines/etc.

This is just the difference in authors, Abnett writes a noticeably more light-hearted 40k with regular people understanding science and knowing about chaos. The bit you are talking about is the events after the first battle for Armageddon, covered in ADB's Emperor's gift but established long before that (and before Abnett's novels).

The events after Armageddon did apparently change Imperial policy towards this sort of thing though, so it would explain the conflicts in the fiction if you assume that's based on date/spread of policy reform.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I can't remember now I think about it. I might well have made that up or be confusing it with something else. Sorry.

I have only seen it mentioned that they have 130 guys in a company rather than 100 or something similar, though I also haven't personally read any new codices.

Then again dumb poo poo like legion size SW is why I don't read the new ones.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 11, 2013

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

JerryLee posted:

It's just such an insane idea that seems like it's only in there for dumb shock value. Like, was it actually a problem that the Cabal didn't seem dickish enough?

It's not dumb shock value because 99% of the audience probably don't even know who he is, let alone do the mental gymnastics to figure out the reference. It's a nod and a wink to people with a brain.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

You asked for an answer, I gave you an answer.

Also, just like many of the other "fantasy middle ages in space" elements of the setting, the Mechanicum is clearly a reference to medieval-era trade guilds, which were often steeped in mysticism as well as secrecy.

More obviously they are the Foundation... from Foundation.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

He's implying Battle for the Abyss didn't happen.

And he's implying it's worth it so that Mark of Calth did happen.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

Recent HH books such as Betrayer also had groups of pskyers joining together to form a gestalt consciousness so the idea is still very much there.

That's a pretty impressive leap of logic to make.

'Some psyker's join their power's together as one to do something' hardly equals 'The Emperor being the product of a shamanic suicide pact' appearing recently.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The Emperor is only dumb if you assume (with no real proof) that he is omniscient. It's not a dumb choice if you straight up didn't know what was going on because you had other poo poo on your mind.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

The Rat posted:

I haven't seen this, anyone have a link? Is it something on his blog or something else?

I think it was some limited edition ebook only hardcover gamesday exclusive or whatever crap they arbitrarily decided.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

PrBacterio posted:

Wouldn't he have been the Emperor himself, if anything, if that were the case? Also imho it's a good thing they ditched the connection between the 40K and fantasy settings, because the latter doesn't really mesh well with "real" present-day history and it makes a lot more sense for 40K to be set in "our" future than that of Warhammer Fantasy, which wouldn't fit in any past era of real history. Or do you mean that in the sense of the world of WHFB as a feral world in the 40K setting on which Sigmar then found himself after the dispersal of the primarchs? Because while that could be made to make sense in some fashion I don't remember ever seeing anything that would imply it.

He means the second one and it used to be hinted at everywhere.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Deofuta posted:

However, both of those characters are reviled by the other members of the legion. I think that attitude presents a sharp divide between them and other legions such as the world eaters, death guard, and black legion, who openly embrace Chaos and the effects it brings.

I wrote a big reply on this subject a few times then deleted it, to summarise:

The Night Lords are massive hypocrites, most people's perception of them is warped by Talos' views of the legion as something it never was. The Night Lords are as corrupt as everybody else, they're just in denial.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Nephilm posted:

The only rejection of chaos within the Night Lords is that which leads into losing themselves, and they tend towards avoiding dabbling into warp powers or negotiating with daemons in an effort to dodge that risk - but they're all evil psychopaths, and that's as far as their prejudice extends. For instance, while unnerved by the Raptors, they still treat them like fellow Night Lords even heavily warp mutated as they are, while Uzas is looked down upon because of his unpredictability and the Exalted only because of his excesses and because they can tell changes going on (though they don't suspect is actually a daemon wearing the body, else they'd have outright killed him).

In this, they're on a very similar footing with the Iron Warriors, while the Alpha and Black Legions also seek to avoid falling into the pit trap of being playthings of chaos, but will actively seek it to use as another tool in furthering their goals.

I think that covers exactly what I was saying, they work fine with the Raptors even though they are massively corrupted just because they are Night Lords. If they saw the same mutation and behaviour in another Legion they (well, Talos) would be getting all preachy about how the other legions have degenerated so much during The Long War.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

EyeRChris posted:

Is there any CM that has surpased their primarch in favor with the chaos gods?

Off the top of my head it feels like there is potentially two that come close

Lucius - can essentially never die cause if anyone kills him and feels even a fraction of satisfaction at the kill gets possessed by the now revived immortal swords man

Fabious Bile - Fabulous and has a pimp death cane. Can't help but feel both Nurgle and Zeetch can't favor him just a tad.

Kharn might be a close third on this list. But then again my knowledge of the lore is limited but I get the distinct impression that outside of Fulgrum that the Primarchs have done gently caress all since ascending. Maybe Angron but then again all he's really done of note is manage to find out he can fight 106 Gray Knights at the same time.

Abaddon and Typhus are probably top of that list.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

hopterque posted:

Just a note, Fulgrim defeated the demon trying to possess him shortly after it actually did it, as seen in the horrible butt rape torture story that got discussed at length earlier in the thread.

Nope, nope, nope.

(If I say it enough it will be true...)

Can't believe McNeill set up the great tragic fall then scrapped it all for any reason other than being forced by moron management.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

UberJumper posted:

But i swear in the Flight of Eisenstein he was called Typhus there? Or am i just crazy?

You are just crazy, I believe it even has a narrator line about how he it's 'a time before he became Typhus' or something equally blatant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

pentyne posted:

This is something I don't understand. Did GW just get lucky it signing ADB to write for them?

I don't know how they got him initially, he didn't have anything published as far as I know. It probably helped that he wasn't new to the setting and was already a big fan.

What I'm saying is that ADB is a fan-fiction writer turned Black Library author.