Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

I know what the fluff says, but what purpose did the writers have in mind to establish that in the first place? Why did they decide that EDIs and HAL 9000s were unsuitable for their particular vision of the 41st millennium? It was just so that they could use servitors?

Keeps the base level of technology down too. No AIs to help with research, meaning dudes in armour still use hand weapons and prey before replacing a spark plug.

Enough on that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Nephilm posted:

The XXXXXX is a terrible book and you should just forget it exists.

Should be the next thread title

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

There's a short story in an old Citadel Journal or Inferno! I have lying around somewhere that actually goes into some detail about one pressganged dude's time on a ship, he works out how many people there are on the ship by counting his gun crew and some other ship knowledge.

It's so old a story that there's an Electro-priest in it.

That story also has an arco-flagellant in too IRC

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Impaired Casing posted:

This is what's bothering me. I was all set to buy it, only to find out it's 16 bucks plus whatever little fee I get to convert US dollars to euros. And you know the only reason they do not offer a non enhanced edition is because no one would buy the enhanced edition if there was a cheaper one. Seriously, 16 bucks is more than I spend on actual, physical books.

On another note, was rereading the Inquisition War omnibus. I forgot how utterly good that author is at making the universe feel so... Alien. And grim dark, in a good way!

Pretty much all non indie kindle sci fi ebooks cost that in Australia