Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Probably becoming a broken annoying record by continually mentioning it, but I believe Lord of the Night by Simon Spurrier deserves to be in the list of good books.

Zso Sahaal is basically a proto-Talos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Starcraft ripoff ? I'll ruddy well cut you.

It should pretty much just be taken as a (very good) optional opener to the Dembski-Bowden trilogy. Did Spurrier do any more books for BL ?
Fire Warrior and Xenology According to his wiki page. The Black Library site itself is weird trying to find poo poo by author.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Speaking of ADB, check out a fanwork. Talos aboard the Echo circa start of Void Stalker

Also hes got a short in that Shadows of Treachery compilation. Essentially some Night Lord action during the Heresy. Hes got a review from another site posted on his wordpress. Might be smidge spoilery since it mentions its set after something in another short he wrote.

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 31, 2012

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Oh hey, what's this ?

23rd Horus Heresy book being written by ADB. Hes got the opening quote and prologue on his site. Angron and Lorgar going about wrecking some Ultramarines that weren't on Calth for the slaughter. I believe Kharn is going to be the main character.

Here's the cover for it.

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 31, 2012

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

I like Abnett's understanding of the Imperium but I think the Caiaphas Cain series shows a much better slice of Imperial life and is by far the most accessible. It might be tongue in check but the series describes everything from Planetary Goveroers
to your general snack sellers in an Imperial city.

I love Ciaphas but my suggestion for anyone diving in is Do NOT chain read more than maybe 3 of em at once. Again, I love it but the repetition gets a bit grating. I understand why it is but when you read about Jurgens body ordor and everything else for the 90th time in the 5th or 6th book it kills the enjoyment slightly.

...Then again I am just weird and stupid so eh.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Arbite posted:

I hate to dash your hopes, but I'm pretty sure those marines are from the Alpha Legion.

Odd if it is because it isnt my hopes, that is what the books about. That cover is also what ADB has linked as the final cover. Artist must have screwed something up then.

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 1, 2012

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

I'm oddly curious for some reason to see how ADB would write Orks.

For anyone interested in the 2 collections coming out, Shadows of Treachery and Treacheries of the Space Marine, they will be available to those who preorder the ebook on the 7th. I preordered. What the hell. Abnett and ADB in one, ADB and Matt Farrer in another.

Also there is apparently going to be an art book in November.

Edit - New Ciaphas Cain in January

Double Edit - More Space Vikings from Christ Wraight next year too.

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 5, 2012

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Mikojan posted:

Sorry to go slightly off topic butis there a thread somewhere on SA.discussing the WH40k universe?

Just finished the emperors gift and damnit ADB may heve just taken first place on my list of best BL authors. That man can tell a story holy poo poo.

Read his Night Lords trilogy yet? If not, grab it now.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Whats even crazier is the fact Brotherhood of the Storms a novella, not a full novel. Same with Aurellian I believe. I don't care who writes it, not worth it.

Well about half way though Treacheries of the Space Marine. As with any collection the quality varies. First 2 by Matt Farrer and David Annadale were good. One after that was meh and the one I am on now is so so. ADBs is next so well see how that turns out.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Dickeye posted:

Holy balls I need to get my check and cash it so I can get them.

:black101: <-- This smiley is woefully inadequate when Void Stalker finishes up.

Though one of my favorite moments is in Soul Hunter.

"I heard bolter fire"

Finished Treacheries of the Space Marines Not bad though one story confused me as to why it was even included. Story was about some Flesh Tearers (Jeez, are these guys the Imperium version of World Eaters? Change a few lines and I'd not be able to tell the difference) that ripped some Chaos dudes some new ones. Not entirely sure how that fit in with the theme of the book but eh.

Matt Farrer and ADBs stories were the best of the lot, surprise surprise. ADBs was more First Claw set somewhere in between Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver.

On to Shadows of Treachery

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Battle of the Fangs worth it. As mentioned in the OP its fluffy and has some good action. I liked it better than Legion myself but Space Vikings always sucker me in.

....Of course I say that when I have yet to read the Space Wolves omnibus. Judging by the OP I should probably look into that at some point. Still gotta get through Shadows of Treachery, books 2 and 3 of Shira and got some Glen Cook too.

I need to read faster.

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 14, 2012

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Samopsa posted:

Yeah, I'm reading the Night Lords trilogy now, just started book 3, and the best parts are those including septimus/octavia. The books are pretty drat good, but yeah, full of unexplained lore-bits. He does like to reiterate that space marines have 2 hearts and spit poison though, jeez.

God help you if you read Prospero Burns or any Ciaphas Cain. Youe brain will probably somehow make you smell Jurgen, a bowl of tanna and a squished pocket sandwich as Ciaphas dissembles that it wasnt him who has a wet-leopord growl because it would damage his undeserved reputation. All this while you are constantly cold because certain people like turning the AC up to freezing temperatures.

Dunno. Never even registered if he was reiterating that too much to me. Then again maybe I've been armored after reading those aforementioned books. Or my view is just tinted by how awesome I find ADBs books.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's the first of a new trilogy, correct?

Correct. The Bequin Triolgy.

And son of a bitch. I just started the 4th Space Wolf book (Been enjoyable. Not superb but fun). Gonna have to set that sucker aside to dive right in. Glad I saw the post before heading to work.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Bit of an update from ADB regarding Betrayer

quote:

Betrayer has just hit its word count, as long as Horus Rising. One chapter left to go.

It's 6am right now. At some point, I'll have to sleep for about 5 hours, but one way or another, Betrayer will be finished today.

Please, please, please let me finish this today. Don't you dare get any longer. Everything's wrapped up. Everyone who needed to to die has already died.

One last chapter. Let it be finished.

Now to wait until April :(

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Hmm. New HH book from Graham Mcneil coming out soon. I guess I'm hoping it'll be ok. Can't say the description has me all too hyped. Dudes are supposed to be Chaos but it sorta reads like...I dunno an average "Good guys have to hurry to save X!"

quote:

Perturabo – master of siegecraft, and the executioner of Olympia. Long has he lived in the shadow of his more favoured primarch brothers, frustrated by the mundane and ignominious duties which regularly fall to his Legion. When Fulgrim offers him the chance to lead an expedition in search of ancient and destructive xenos weaponry, the Iron Warriors and the Emperor’s Children unite and venture deep into the heart of the great star maelstrom that haunts Perturabo's dreams. Pursued by vengeful survivors from Isstvan V and the revenants of a dead eldar world, they must work quickly if they are to unleash the devastating power of the Angel Exterminatus!

Edit - ADB's betrayer was finished Friday. Looks to be a bit bigger than Void Stalker. Can only mean :black101: things

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 22, 2012

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I'm about 3/4ths of the way through Pariah and I'm a bit disappointed. It's shorter than I'd expected and the text is rather large. I liked the writing style, but I guess I came into this hoping for something thematically similar to Eisenhorn. There is a distinct lack of Ravenor and Eisenhorn through this story so far, and, lets be honest, I got this book because I love those characters. I've found myself tempted to leaf through the last 4th of the book just to see if ANY character I know will show up. I'm honestly just really disappointed so far. I'll type up a legitimate review of the book after I finish reading it. Perhaps I expected it to be something it never was meant to be....but I'm just really disappointed.

Keep going. Besides She ran into Ravenor already when the place got raided

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Argas posted:

And on a certain warblind... That really is Alpharius isn't it? It'd be nothing if Teke didn't freak out the way he did. I doubt he's following Eisenhorn in any capacity though, which makes me wonder who the other special agent is.

I doubt it. It's A thing all Alpha Legion do.It's probably some stock random Alpha Legion marine. They all always say they are Alpharius. Also the second agent is Cherubael.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

So I just finished Pariah, and was left confused by something that I assume was supposed to be a significant character reveal at the end. Who is Alpharius? The way it was presented I assume I was supposed to recognize that character, but I didn't. For context, I've read the Eisenhorn and Ravenor omnibuses, the first Gaunt's Ghosts book, and Brotherhood of the Snake. I haven't read any of the Horus Heresy books.

EDIT: To clarify, a little googling provided me some information on who that is, but I'm not understanding the connection in the book. Perhaps I'm not meant to?

Going to spoiler this in case someone hasnt read Eisenhorn (Cant imagine who if you are reading this thread but hey) Like Neph said, all Alpha Legion marines identify themselves as that. They are one of the Traitor marine chapters. The whole point was to show just how far Eisenhorn has fallen and just what he will use/ally with etc "For the good of the Imperium". Because having a Daemonhost in his thrall just isn't enough.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Nephilm posted:

Helsreach gets you your fill of Black Templars.

Speaking of Helsreach. Forgot to post this from ADB a few days ago.

ADB Facebook posted:

I think I'm going back to Helsreach for a while, to catch up with Grimaldus, the Crone, and (of course) Andrej. An untold story or two still lurking in the ruins.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

Whats the consensus on James Swallows Blood Angel books and Flesh of Cretacia by Andy Smillie? Are they passable at the least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

From ADBs Facebook

quote:

This book is about the founding of the Black Legion. My next one is about the Emperor and Terra. No pressure, then.