Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dan Abnett made the Ultramarines loving awesome. At this point I'm not sure there's anything he can't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I liked Mitchell's short story about the Arbites and the Administratum Adept in the Sabbat Worlds anthology. I wish he would do more of those.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

In any case, Barbarisater is far superior to an energy sword. It's not just the throughput of your emitter that matters when you're fighting the warp, it's also how real the thing you're using is.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

40k has the occasional personal forcefield that makes a guy a god on the battlefield when fighting Imperial Guard.

Yeah, then they send thirty tanks after him.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

There's also a scene where they leave a tube-charge (think "fuckoff demolition explosive") in the room that the bad guy is charging into. He laughs off a clip of las rounds, and then his shield holds just long enough for them to notice that it contained the blast a little.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

sunburnedcrow posted:

Well, gently caress! Things aren't going to end well for Eisenhorn isn't it? :ohdear:

Nothing ever, ever ends well for inquisitors. It's an occupational hazard.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Can anyone explain how The saint goes from dying, to magically taking over Sanian?

Sanian was the Saint's backup plan if her first avatar had to get herself killed (which she did.) Then the gloves came off and it was glowing crusader time.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

She was also objectively a better choice, she already had the backing of a lord general and in a commanding position. The girl was just another refugee.

Presumably there would have been a tradeoff or reveal somewhere, but the point was for Sabbat to meet Brin Milo and for the big performance to divert an enemy force to an unimportant planet. When she had to stop a tank from killing him, things went a little sideways and Gaunt had to save the day.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Know no Fear is literally solid coolest moments. If you haven't read it yet, you owe it to yourself to do so.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

I was just kinda razzing you :v: It'd be kind of funny if a shred of Horus's soul was still floating through the warp, going "Just as planned."

Probably not, but there may be one going "no you shut the gently caress up dad."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

TheStampede posted:

Yeah, the idea that there is and even greater all-seeing, all-knowing force above even chaos or the Emperor is just pushing it. You can't have the most ultimate, powerful force in the universe, then introduce another most ultimate, powerful force in the universe, and then ano...

Eventually, nothing has an significance if it's just going to get trumped.

They're not really that important, they just think they are. You can't out-scheme Chaos, but you can out-fight them. That's why the Cabal won't accomplish anything. We know how the Heresy ends, and it ends the way Chaos wants it to.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

VanSandman posted:

They still don't cause greater daemons to burst forth and devour everyone when they use their mind bullets to kill things though.

If you were a infinitely old super-species creating an artificial race of psychic soldiers for use against another race of omnicidal entropy worshipers and their hateful star-gods, you wouldn't make one that backfired every time it killed something. (And really, the Old Ones were weaponizing the Eldar pantheon, not the race itself.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

A Great Company is like 1,000 marines strong, yeah, which makes it even loving dumber that the Inquistion would give a poo poo about Black Templars who a; basically undertake nothing but penitence crusades and poo poo and b; hate psykers, where Space Wolves are known assholes with a mutated geneseed and are likely only protected due to their status as a First Founding chapter.

The Space Wolves are pretty much superheroes though. Only the Salamanders and maybe the Ultramarines are more dependably good guys, because the first founding chapters are still the same defenders of humanity they were during the Crusade (unlike new chapters which are symptomatic of the degradation of the Imperium). The Black Templars have nothing even remotely resembling limits.

It does come up in ADB's stuff that the Inquisition doesn't really like how much the Space Wolves tell them to suck it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The general view of the Imperium is that the Emperor made a supreme sacrifice and appointed the High Lords and other sundry government officials to rule in his stead while he watches over humanity and the walls between reality and the Warp from his throne. They don't really think about it, but there's a reason the Imperium has a skull as a symbol: it's the visage of their god.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Cain does practice with a Techmarine for a portion of his career, when he's doing general staff stuff. He lands a hit one time, and the Techmarine keeps the mark on his armor as a memento. He's not superhuman, just really, really good.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

You rapidly forget all the MLK stuff, trust me.

This is exactly how 40K Batman should be. gently caress your duel, he's wired the chapel.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Hive Mind kinda is a warp god, so things might get pretty crazy if it entered a space where reality is subjective. The Tyranids have a lot of votes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Uroboros posted:

Not to mention it seemed like the whole venture was for naught. I still don't get why the one Eldar lead them there, and why the other one was trying to help the loyalist stop him. Fulgrim's plan failed/succeeded it really didn't make a bit of drat sense.

They were trying to manipulate the legions into fighting past the guardians of the tomb world, after which they would betray the primarchs (in some nebulous and undefined fashion) and take the soulstones. It wasn't a very good plan in the first place, but hey, it's Dark Eldar. They have trouble when not led by someone who scares the piss out of them.

Of course, this is also the species whose home world is lit by the black light of seven stolen suns within its own artificial pocket universe, so they don't have to plan very well. They were just up against two of the most ridiculous guys ever, and Fulgrim was favored by Chaos

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The point behind Lucius's resurrection is that the Raven Guard who outfought him the first time did it without satisfaction - it's meant to needle him forever, and only a warrior like Sharrowkyn can truly kill him. So yeah, someone else could do it, if they were the right person.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

UberJumper posted:

In Unremembered Empire didn't Vulkan get permakilled by grammaticus with the fulgurite spear? Also didn't one of the Eldar basically tell Grammaticus "This might cure his insanity, if you use the one thing that kills a perpetual on him"

No, he's fine. There was a heartbeat at the end.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Alpha Legion could be great because half of the Alphas would be normal, or at least normal-ish humans. They were and are a huge part of the Alpha command structure and are incredibly loyal because the Legion is loyal to them (no matter what, they get their people out.)

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

The Sons know a lot, but not enough. Looking up from their level, gods do exist, but they're too arrogant to accept that. If they were, like, the Old Ones then they could categorize Chaos into neat little boxes, but they aren't.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I just finished Gods of Mars, and it was actually pretty good. Three decent or better Graham McNeil books in a row, it's a got to be a sign of the Apocalypse in some religion.

I'm a sucker for Void Dragon conspiracy theorizing though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Abnett keeps getting paid more to write other stuff, mostly HH, maybe Penitent.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Who knows, Black Library has the worst loving website.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

You won't get a lot out of End Times if you don't already know most of the backstory and principal actors, but they're okay if you do.

End Times is a retelling of the old Storm of Chaos plot, only instead of Archaon being pushed back and them being able to tell new stories instead literally everyone is pulling out all of their biggest guns/spells/embodiments of magic and throwing down with the chaos gods. Basically every faction's arcs get resolved in some way or another.

They lose, Chaos wins, Middenheim falls, a new chaos rift is opened, the four gods walk on the earth, everyone dies and the world is consumed, game over. Skaven and Slann escape into realms in the warp or space. The elf gods' plans for a refuge beyond the world fail, because Lileath was a huge screwup. Sigmar (incarnated in Karl Franz) and Archaon are last seen vanishing into the warp, wrestling over Ghal Maraz. Four voices laugh.

Later, an unknown character who was once a mortal falls out of the sky onto a new world to begin the cycle anew.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Schizotek posted:

Well I knew who like, half those people were. Also cool that the Skaven get to live to scheme another day. But yeah googling around people are acting like they're destroying the entire franchise forever instead of hitting an obvious lore reset button. Might actually be feasible to build myself an army now.

Yeah, this is basically the same as a summer event for comic books. They're trying to clear model inventory by allowing more flexible army comps and writing some small rule supplements, backed up by overpriced fluff.

I cannot wait for the Tiko to gently caress this business model in the rear end.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I always took cain as someone who isn't a full coward/narcissist but is very self-effacing/self depricating person who just wants to live in queit place, but does the best he can when danger happens. as much as he pretends not too, he does care about his men and jurgen. the author says its open to interpratation. so who knows. I always liked the cain books even if they do get samey.

Cain's still the guy you go to when you need someone to swordfight a World Eater and kill a daemon prince. He just doesn't like being that guy, and he's a pretty cool dude when he's not on the hero clock; he's a commissar who inspires rather than terrify.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm hoping that with them bringing Robby-G back we get the Second Mechanicus Civil War too, what with the Cult of the Void Dragon and all.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Moose_Knuck posted:

Does anybody have any book recommendations for plots that involve the Cognitae? Prospero Burns reminded me that they were actually a thing. Shouldn't they have a more prominent role in the universe given their mission statement?

From last page, but they're also the villains in Pariah, along with possibly the Ecclesiarchy, the Word Bearers, the Emperor's Children, and Eisenhorn.

Actually I think the Cognitae are in all of Abnett's stuff except for the original Eisenhorn trilogy. They're the biggest, oldest, and most well-infiltrated cult in the galaxy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

poo poo's mostly hosed, you can't get it unfucked, but, if you're lucky, by heroic effort you might keep some of your poo poo from getting hosed.

At which point you realize you're still living in the middle of a massive mountain of poo poo. Then you probably die in agony.

There are places like Ultramar where that's not true. In short story in the Iron Warriors omnibus the Mechanicus screwed up and caused an industrial accident, and they ended up having to close the mine because all the workers moved away and got different jobs because negligently killing a hundred people doesn't fly there.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Yeah, powerful Imperials basically live in the permanent luxury afforded by holding rank galaxy-spanning megacivilization anyway. What matters are the kinds of favors you can call in and authority you can wield.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

X_Toad posted:

Is Malus that Dark Elf who got himself possessed by a demon trapped in a sword?

Yup. His whole story is a succession of bad choices made to escape the gently caress-ups caused by other, previous bad choices.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

spootime posted:

Guys wtf?? I havent read any 40k stuff at all since last year but I was really into it. I just started trying to come back to it and Guilliman is alive? Super space marines? Is there a good summary I can read?

Some screwups on the Eldar side shake out sort-of-alright, and they create the avatar of Ynnead, the Eldar death god. Meanwhile, Archmagos Belisarius Caul has been working on space marine mark II for the past ten thousand years and Saint Celestine is leading the defense of Cadia against the 13th Black Crusade. Some stuff happens there, all of these factions end up there at the same time because of Fate, the Eldar help the Imperials escape Cadia before Abbadon blows it up, and they end up back on Ultramar, where they revive Guilliman using a combination of mechanicus super-science armor, Eldar witchcraft, and Celestine's holy power. Guilliman leads a new crusade using Caul's new breed of Primaris marines to help stabilize the Imperium, which is reeling from the massive warp rift that the destruction of Cadia and the last of the warp-suppression pylon network has slashed across the galaxy. Primarchs are returning on both sides, with Mortarion leading a counter-offensive in Ultramar.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Arguably, Vulkan is already back and has been back several times.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

When a few of the Word Bearers are sent back in time to wreck the emp's gellar field and scatter the primarchs' birth pods, they seriously consider destroying two of them just to save their past selves the trouble.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

There's a short story after Salvation's Reach (which was a successful mission and has caused a civil war between the Blood Pact and the Sons of Sek) where they visit a haunted depot world with some weird poo poo going on, and Gol Kolea might be haunted by a daemon that's threatening his kids.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm hoping that Macaroth dies at the end of the next book, only for Gaunt to take up the position he was always meant to.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Devastation of Baal and The Emperor's Legion were both... good? What is going on here? Are there more than 2 competent writers taking BL money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I feel like there was a lot of red herring nesting going on. I basically have to CIA document the entire rest of the post to say anything else, but

I'm willing to bet that she's not a demon, she's literally Sek's daughter hiding under an assumed identity for whatever reason. The demon ship wasn't talking about a "creation", it was saying this is what you get for trying to kill his daughter.