Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think Abnett's issues with endings aren't because of page constraints, he just has trouble wrapping up loose plot threads organically. Half the time it works anyway, and just makes for a really frenzied and exciting conclusion.

Yea, if you'd give Abnett 2times the pages to work with he'd just end up with a really fleshed out midsection but his endings would probably remain just as short.

Just bought [/b]the primarchs[b] and I was wondering what stories are worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Aren't the primarchs the only ones in the alpha legion that know what they are fighting for?
I thought the common Alpha Legion marine was just as corrupted by chaos as any traitor chapter.

Unless the dissapearance of Alpharius is an elaborate ruse I don't think the alpha legion has any hidden agenda anymore. They're just mindless pawns of chaos by now after 10 millenia of corruption.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Sorry to go slightly off topic butis there a thread somewhere on SA.discussing the WH40k universe?

Just finished the emperors gift and damnit ADB may heve just taken first place on my list of best BL authors. That man can tell a story holy poo poo.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Dickeye posted:

Is it just me or does Soul Hunter absolutely loving rule?

I'd say the quality only ramps up in the next 2 books.

Yes, they are that good.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I just finished reading the Alpha Legion story in The Primarchs

The ending got me really confused. Did Omegon secretly order the tenebrae installation to be destroyed behind Alpharius' back? Did he change his mind about the whole Cabal theory? Is this mentioned anywhere else?

I'm not sure all this makes sense canon wise. Plots within plots is taking the Alpha Legion gimmick a bit too far as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, Ian Watson's Inquisition Wars omnibus just got in the mail.
What can I expect besides dancing dreadnoughts?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Pariah was going to be a trilogy right?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Just finished pariah.

It has been so long since I had read ravenor and I had forgotten many of the characters but drat if Abnett didn't manage to make me completely fall in love with him again.

You best finish the second book soon if you know whets good for you you incredible cocktease :argh:

Also my name is alpharius. This book has EVERYTHING.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

The Rat posted:

Just finished Pariah an hour ago and loved it. A bit of a different feel from the usual 40k fare, but still a fun read.

I got a big Existenz vibe of Pariah halfway through. I was Actually fairly convinced the plot would turn out to be just Bequin dreaming in her coma tank. It just sounded all so surreal. I want to read more WH40K in this style.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

You have to treat the book as a prelude to ravenor vs eisenhorn.
It's basically just setting up the background for the next few books.
Which can't come soon enough I'd like to add.

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 24, 2012

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Could someone remind me why exactly there is an understanding between Eisenhorn and Cherubael?

I mean, what exactly is stopping cherubael from just running off and do deamon-y things?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Yea I too am extremely disappointing I didn't get to read 300 pages of Eisonhorn and Ravenor shooting at each other.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Part of the appeal in the Night Lords books is that you know they'll fall apart sooner or later, because it's inevitable, but they still survive and get things done (most of the time) even against all odds.

I never completely understood why the night lords did anything. It feels as though as a legion they don't have a clear goal to achieve. I also felt like the 'purpose' Talos designed for themselves was really shoehorned in there. Same goes with the death of Curze and how it somehow translates into a message to the imperium; it felt really awkard.

Maybe I didn't get it?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Regarding the Night Lords:

Wouldn't it make more sense if the legion slowly dissolved as more and more legionnaires just settle down on some backwater hive worlds to start gangs and murder people for fun? (like those guys in pariah)

As a legion I feel they shouldn't pose much of a threat to the imperium as they really don't care about anything but living a thug life.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Sorry, my favorite is still the warboss attacking his past self so he can have two of his favorite gun.

This is awesome and I need a link pronto.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't really see any 40K relation, but this is a pretty cool video (though I have to admit I do not like Pearl Jam one bit.)

Also, I just finished Pariah and boy, that was a pretty good book. Yeah, it did start off a little slow, but from the point of the raid on Maze Undue it was pretty much non-stop. I already can't wait until the next book.

Also, I do believe this is the first time that a 40K story has really referenced anything from our current timeframe - the Soviet rocket toy.

"What does that mean?"
"No one remembers anymore..."

Next up, Angel Exterminatus. I need to start making more time to read - I'm starting to fall behind here.

Lots of books have referenced wars or other occurences from the first 2 millenia. Often the names are changed slightly though.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Not to mention a Daemonhost :v: My own pet theory, for which I have absolutely no evidence, is that Cherubael is actually the tortured and corrupted soul of Sanguinius. I base this entirely on the fact that Cherubaels name is based on Cherub, which is an angelic being.

That would actually make no sense at all but drat would that kick rear end.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

EyeRChris posted:

It was more of the choice between a quick death versus 10k years of suffering as the world universe burns down around them. Alpha Legion was about making the tough decisions. If Horus won then he would have snapped and killed off the rest of the universe starving the warp gods of their fuel. If The Master of Mankind won then it would throw them into a conflict that would see mankind slowly killed off from all ends. Alpha made the decision to side with Horus, but Omega seems to have a plan B just in case. Horus didn't win and a corpse sits on the golden throne. So the future Alpha Legion sided for is thrown in flux. Perhaps the surviving twin (most likely Omega) now sees a third possibility.

Yea recent relevations all point in the same direction. While a relevation about the alpha legion isn't as big as clarifying the big E situation its still big enough to be SUPER SECRET. Also the fact that Dan Abnett is writing about it and has clearly shown he can write succesful alpha legion stories I'm willing to wager on a story about the alpharius - omegon plot.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Picked up Pariah the other night. When I heard that the third trilogy was going to be Gregor VS Gideon, and would be told from the POV of Alizabeth, I was stoked. Love all of Abnett's Inquisition characters, so this book was going to be a real treat.

I'm on page 64. Does it... does it get better? Bequin shouldn't be this boring why the hell is she so boring why does she already know she's a blank why is Dan retconning the first trilogy argh!!!

I want to push through it but I'm going to be really disappointed if it doesn't get better soon.

That's the beauty of Pariah, not everything may be what it seems.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

But before that, Mechanicum!

Do yourself a favor and either skip it or stop reading somewhere around the middle.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I must be really bad at googling but I can't find what the first next books are we can expect from DA and ADB.

Can anyone help me out?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm guessing the general consensus about Fear to Tread is to avoid it?

I'm half way through and I'm really enjoying it so far to be fair. I'd even go as far as saying its one of the most enjoyable HH books in the series. However I'm only half way so it could all come down like a house of cards...

It's not like I give the author the benefit of the doubt either after that Nemesis debacle.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Finished Fear to Tread. Book started off good, very good even. It had my attention up to the last 30% but it started to attenuate when he started writing about daemons. He didn't get that quite right in my eyes. The end got drawn out and contained no real interesting plot twists to speak of.

Erebus getting his loving face peeled of on the very last page was satisfying though.

Overall I'd say its worth a read if you are either a blood angels fan or into the HH series.

Moving up to Ahriman Exile now. Only a couple dozen pages in but liking it a lot already. The whole Ahriman - bitch this isn't even my final form - pretending to be a low life hiding among scum is really fun to read.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

The Space Marine creation process seems contradictory. The fluff says that the neophyte needs to be an adolescent or the gene-seed implants will probably malfunction, but the Space Marine ostensibly only recruit from the most fearsome warriors in the galaxy. The most fearsome and accomplished warriors are usually adults. There are not many 12-year-old Conans out there.

I always figured they recruited children from warrior races or generally resilient lines people. Or very young crminals and hive gangers, conditioned for survival at very early ages.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

ed balls balls man posted:

Urg The Sigilite sounds great, but it's a loving audiobook.

It sure does sound great though!

I'm terrible at this someone probate me please

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

The book about inquisitor czevak is great so far. Rob sanders is a good writer. Any other recommended works out of him?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

EyeRChris posted:

I can't recall the title of the book but it was one of the short story collection Horus Heresy books. I want to say The Primarchs.

The worst part of it is that all of that poo poo is now canon and we have to live with it.

I like to pretend a lot of poo poo didn't really happen, like that god awful Nemesis book.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

The one where they somehow bound a daemon to an untouchable?

Also the one where 2 assassins of different temples are siblings and behave like prepubescent children all the way through.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

isoprenaline posted:

Most Primarchs are long gone but the Ultramarines keep Roboute Guilliman around in a status field and visit him on special occasions.

(As an aside how do you pronouce his name? And is it a joke somehow like El'Jonson?)

Ro - boot Gui - i - man (the L's are silent)

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Totally offtopic here but a long time ago someone made a brilliant description of Chaos in the warhammer universe.

Did anyone save this post so I can put it in my warhammer.txt?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

After scouring the internet for info about the Talon of Horus from ADB I'm finding some conflicting info.

Amazon says November 2014, Lexicanum says April 2014.

I checked ADB's wordpress and apparently the book has been finished for a good few months now.

Any idea what the earliest possible date is going to be for the e-book version?

Honestly we should have a paragraph in the OP with expected schedules for any future Abnett / ADB books. Black library is a poo poo site when it comes to info on future releases.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Waroduce posted:

Pariah was the most disappointing thing I've read recently.

Criticism about Pariah has been really divided since its release.

Either people say its brilliant, others will say its a flop.

I will refrain from trying to explain why I belong to the former, but I encourage you to look up the whole discussion earlier in the thread.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Finished The Vengeful Spirit and thought it was a bit meh. Too many plot points and all of them half assed. Felt no real connection with any of the characters and it ruined Loken in particular for me. Also, having Horus return from the warp and casually mention in a few lines that he has been waging war with demons for like centuries amongst loving gods of chaos, but its no big deal really was loving lame and almost made me close of early.

Started reading Scars and I'm actually very impressed so far. The book feels a lot more like the earlier HH books with decent protagonists. I hope the plot doesn't end up sucking butt.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

pengun101 posted:

i like betrayer alot more then i thought i would. Angron is an interesting, if hosed up character and i almost started feeling bad for him because of how broken he was. I need to pick up first heretic because i always liked logar and now i need to get the night lords omnibus.

ADB has a way to make you feel for the 'bad' guys.

When those Night Lords were literally skinning children and beating down stone walls with their frail skinless bodies all I could think of was 'gosh, I really hope Talos gets some gratification out of this'.

He also made Angron look like a sad, broken persona, completely misunderstood and abused by both his father and brothers.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Finished Scars and actually found it to be one of the better HH books in the list. Certainly a relief after reading Vengeful Spirit.

Whats the consensus on it and has Chris Wraight written any other good books?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I pretty much read all the good to decent WH40k books so far and decided to delve into Warhammer Fantasy recently.

I read the fall of altdorf, sword of justice and sword of vengeance so far. (I'm really enjoying Chris Wraight's writing)

Was curious if the other End Times books are any good? And if so what order should I read them in?

Thanks!

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I really liked the Return of Nagash. Reynolds is pretty excellent- I liked his Gotrek books as well. I'll probably pick up Shield of Baal at some point to see how he does 40k.

If you like Wraight, have you read his spacewolf books? I like them.

I read most of wraights 40k books I think. All of which I really enjoyed.

Battle of the Fang
Wrath of Iron
Scars

Did I miss any good ones?

- edit - looking at the OP, is Blood of Asaheim worth a read? I am not really a fan of the space wolf legion though, and I read battle of the fang mostly because of the thousand sons being their adversary.

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 25, 2014

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm halfway through Ian Watson's Spacemarine and I don't know what the gently caress I'm reading but I love it.

some highlights: (somewhat spoilery I guess)
Space marines farting in eachothers faces
an emperor titan flipping a bunch of warlords off, like literally giving them the finger
some weird mosaic of poo poo goblets being worshipped by imperial fists as if its the holiest thing after the golden throne
and arm-less, leg-less blood drinker marine with his rear end encased in lead trying to convince other marines he can still be of use
ITS BIFFING TIME

This book is great and I can't wait what other crazy poo poo is going to happen.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Vulkan pretty much got his head hosed up by Kurze's torturing too right?

Like, even if he would return he'd be a rambling lunatic with little to no use.

Well, I guess you could drop him on a chaos world and pick him up like a decade later when everything is dead.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Finished Stormcaller and was very surprised by how good it was. (Christ Wraight keeps proving himself to be right up there with DA and ADB in my opinion)

So the way this book was written (together with Blood of Asaheim) makes it a pretty obvious start of a series.

Any rumors floating around about the next book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Emp's name is Death.

pretty sure the emp's name is awesome