Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Nevermind, looked it up. Wrong Pariah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

tweekinator posted:

Don't the Tau just sterilize other species when they decide they don't really want to be Greater GoodTM untouchables and then just wait until the last member has died off to move in on the planet?

Not quite; they do the sterilization and slow genocide thing, but they will move on to the planet before the genocide is complete.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Primarch Khan entered and got lost in the Webway, so clearly humans know something about it and how to enter it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, what?

That's the plot of Dawn of War 2 - Retribution. The Inquisitor bribes the Ork Freebooters to take out the renegade Space Marine, in return for a fight with 3 regiments of guardsmen on a planet of their choosing. Orks end up betrayed by the Inquisitor but they get away, so in the end the pirate steals the inquisitor's hat, enjoys fighting all the marines, and calls it even.

I don't know about the Jokero thing though. Amberly Vail is a Puritain Inquisitor who hates Radicals (and Tech Priests, for good reason as we come to find out) but she still uses a Digital Needler.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

S.J. posted:

The Ork campaign for that game is literally the only good part of the single player though.

In what circumstance will anything Ork POV related not be the best part?

On that note, have a Let's Play glorifying Orkiness http://lparchive.org/Dawn-of-War-II-Retribution/

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So someone here (I think? Maybe it was the 40k Roleplaying thread) was talking about how Mechanicum had some big discussions of the reality of technology in 40k so we should read it. So I have started to. I'm something like 4 chapters in and regret it. It is very very bad. This is a bad book. Do not read this book. It changes locations and points of view without proper breakage. It is full of talking heads that info dump when they have plenty or reasons not to. Guards famed for their intimidating silence suddenly open up and talk about their master, their history, and their big plan. It has a page and a half long discussion of how sexy a robot is. As in, talking about "shapely curves of bronze, distinctly and appealingly female". The lead up to Horus' Rebellion is handled with all the subtlety of a brick through a window, with everyone across the galaxy knowing it is going to happen before he even turns to Chaos.

This bad. At this point, I'm going to push through to see how bad it gets, but yeah. Treat this like me reading it so you don't have to.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

EyeRChris posted:

I think I read somewhere, tvtropes maybe, that orks evolve stronger and bigger if they face a strong enough threat. Khorne is powered by violence itself. Has Khorne Daemons ever squared off against Orks in an endless siege? I'm picturing Titan size Orks facing the Avatar of War that ends in a violent bro fist so epic the planet implodes.

Also are there any stores (book or just short stories) from BL that follow the orks in depth? Got a kindle fire so if its ebooks I'm still good.

There is a short story out there about Orks invading the Eye of Terror. They land on a Khornate planet and do battle with Demon Princes and their armies and get slaughtered. As punishment for their audacity, the Demons resurrect the Orks every day, and fight and kill them. The Orks regard it as Heaven. Somebody has posted a scan of it here before, it is like a page and a half long.

One of the Horus Heresy books has a quick one line mention of Orks the size of titans. Helsreach doesn't follow the orks, but they are the primary antagonist, and both sides are portrayed as intelligent - none of the usual dumb armies and clever protagonists here, it is a simple matter of being outmatched.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gormless Gormster posted:

So they pretty much go to Valhalla?

well, that particular group, yes. Other orks no

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Thulsa Doom posted:

I've heard rumors (that is to say, bullshit) of going into the even grimmer further future after the HH series is done, but those rumors are all nonsense and the HH series will continue until the heat death of the universe.

Didn't they just say recently that they plan on doing more to fill in the last 10k years, given the success and popularity of the whole Badab War thing?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So I wrapped up the Night Lords series, and I just want confirmation on how I interpreted the epilogue

The apothecary took Talos' geenseed and implanted it in the son of Octavia and Septimus, resulting in Decimus, right?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

ADB's Night Lords trilogy.

This. People credit Abnett for writing the Imperium so that it actually works - how things get done, why people do what they do, etc so it makes a horrible sort of sense rather than being author fiat of "do it or else". ADB does the same for Chaos. You come away understanding how they could decide to turn to Chaos, how things get done, why they do them instead of just being "argle bargle maim kill burn!"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

mllaneza posted:

As long as we're wishing out loud, how about an Imperial Army HH book ?

Legion is almost entirely from the point of view of the Imperial Army

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I always thought the split was more "It's psychic if we like it, its sorcery if we don't". Certainly a better fit for the Imperial mentality

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Shroud posted:

I still haven't figured how the Wolves can still use Rune Priests while everyone else had to disband their Librariums. I know they justified it by saying they drew their powers from Fenris, but I can't imagine that excuse being given a free pass by Russ, much less the Emperor.

Well Nikea was after the Emperor decided to stop crusading and return to terra, so he wasn't around to catch them. And Horus got corrupted soon after so he probably wanted them to combine the warp and bloodlust hoping they would fall.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Degenerate Star posted:

So I was reading one of James Swallows' Blood Angels books, and one of the plot points was that the Flesh Tearers and BA are running low on Marines, though for different reasons.

According to the various wikis, the Progenoid glands are mature at 5 or 10 years, depending on which one. However, they only harvest them when the Marine dies. Is there a reason they can't take them out every decade and put in new ones? It takes awhile to make new Marines, sure, but if there's enough gene-seed and enough hardcore humans out there to put them in, shouldn't they be able to keep up a steady supply?

Or is that just another angst-producing plot device? "These noble Marines, who are raged-out and possibly cannibal killers most of the time, are tragically doomed! Because they totally are."

"These other ones just killed each other in a civil war, so they just want to borrow some Space Marines from their relatives, and maybe also some cash."

Also, Swallow is terrible. "Rafn"? Really?

Well yes, in theory there isn't anything that is stopping your from growing a marine for 10 years, killing him, then growing 2 for 10 years, killing them, etc, getting an exponential increase in geneseed and creating a massive number of space marines. A mere 200 years would give you a million marines, 300 years a billion, and 400 would give you a trillion. Both make plenty of sense for the Imperium or Chaos, they work on long time scales. It would be slower than the rapidgrowth techniques they have attempted before, but without the unstables problems that arise from fast growth.

But the problem there is that the Imperium would be poo poo its pants terrified of 1 trillion space marines running around, and Chaos doesn't have the infrastructure to arm, armor, and transport that many space marines. In fact, the Imperium probably doesn't either.

And out of universe, it is an "I win" button for the Imperium, and GW won't upset that balance.

I've always wondered if that was how the Emperor first grew his legions, and if so, is that what he had planned for the primarchs - build 20, find the best out of it, kill the others, kill the 1 and use that to kick start your exponentially growing army of supermen. It would certainly be a good reason for one of the primarchs to turn to Chaos.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

The Imperium already does that, more or less, except the universe is pretty good at killing marines anyway. Where do you think they get new chapters from?
The create them from the tithed geneseed, stored under the polar caps of Terra. They do not fast grow it - the ones who try are individuals like Corax, and fast growing doesn't work out well.

quote:

Your plan also ignores the enormous amount of time
No, I specifically called out the time. A few hundred years is nothing when you operated on the tens of thousands.

quote:

and resources it takes to culture the gene-seed from a single progenoid into usable implants,
Individuals destroy dozens of planets to distract a single enemy. The resources this would require are nothing to the Imperium. The limit would come in for arming, armoring, and transporting them once they are grown, and being piss yourself scared at more space marines than Horus had running around. which I said in my first bit.

quote:

as well as the fact that the success rate for implantation is not particularly high, and that the creation process itself takes a huge amount of time and resources.
The bulk of which is tied up in the mental conditioning and training. They talk about it in The Emperor's Gift and the Night Lords trilogy, it is the conditioning, training, and adult rejection that causes the high failure rate. Given we are just growing and harvesting to build up the stock of geneseed you don't need to worry about those issues. You only need to deal with training, conditioning, and adult rejection of the final generation.

quote:

So while it takes 5-10 years for a fully matured and implanted marine to produce a useful progenoid, getting from a progenoid to a new marine takes an unknown but likely quite long time and tons of resources.
Nah. 10 years.

Though I will cop that I screwed up my math and did 10 years total, instead of 10 years from when the prognoids develop. The doubling time should be 16 years.

quote:

You're trying to math stuff out, but you've failed to completely grasp the whole picture. There are plenty of silly plot holes and head-scratchers in 40k, but this is not one of them.
Really? Because I pretty sure that after I "mathed it out" correctly, I then pointed out the big picture reason, both in-universe and why it really doesn't happen.

quote:

The Emperor first grew his legions using special techniques for the mass-productiob of gene-seed, which he then locked away. Alternatively, he did the thing you propose except he didn't kill them afterwards because that would be stupid.
So he harvested it from them, (which kills them) but didn't kill them. Right. And the Imperium would never wantonly slaughter a ton of people for a military advantage, right? Like you said, that would be stupid.

Man, imagine if there was like a whole 40k army built around the idea of wantonly slaughtering people like they were some kind of ablative meat shield for vehicles. You'd need some kind of political officer to keep them from running away.

quote:

There were 20 primarchs because the Emperor intended to conquer and unite an entire galaxy's worth of humanity. The Emperor is still just one man, which is why he created the primarchs to delegate the enormous task of the great crusade, with each primarch given a unique set of talents and approaches to war. It's sometimes implied, depending on the fluff, that the Space Marines themselves are an offshoot of the Primarchs project that was green-lighted only after the Primarchs themselves were lost, but this is one of those hazy areas that GW doesn't really care about clarifying.
So it isn't clear, but you know what the plan really is.
His creation of the legions was a backup after he lost the primarchs. I was speculating about what Plan A might have been and some writing ideas it would promote.

Seriously, I'm aware of why that isn't a true plot hole in universe. I'm aware of why GW would never do it. I explained all of this in the post you quoted. But your response is amazing for its combination of stuff that just isn't true and being condescending as all get out.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Therion posted:

I wish Abnett killed off one of his books' main characters or had something irreversably lovely happen to them, since I have trouble feeling any tension at all while knowing that his protagonists have the thickest Plot Armor this side of Salvatore. I know that 40k novels are intended for the ARGH BADASS KILLS EVERYONE teenage crowd but there are only so much cliches one can use before the reader starts to recognize the patterns.
:stare:
He literally kills 80% of the characters in "Know No Fear".

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

can someone link like a youtube video or something of a "wet leopard snarl"? I have no idea what he meant there

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So hey, guess I'm an idiot, but I just now made the connection that ADB's next book is probably the tie in to ForgeWorld's Horus Heresy release, since they are both dealing with Angron and have a Betrayer/Betrayal name going to them.

By the way, here is Forge World's Angron model

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Events/Angron-wep.html

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nephilm posted:

Nevermind bad; it's plot twist is nonsensical, ruins the main character theme of Fulgrim and invalidates a major plot point in Aurelian.

I prefer to think of it as Aurelian invalidates the Fulgrim story.

Scoobi posted:

Is there an ebook for Aurelian? It seems to have been a limited edition thing?

It would be :files: if it is, and thus bad. By the way, have you ever checked out #acolyte? It is a cool place. We should chat.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Is there a Perturabo based HH book?
No, he is one of the ones that hasn't gotten the spotlight yet. But they are moving into the part of the war where nothing has ever been put to paper about it, so I'd expect something in the works

Nephilm posted:

Kinda, since they do tend to follow (albeit rather loosely) a chronology, or sometimes a chain of reveals and cameos, but the only ones that really have any sort of sequence are:

The first 3-4.
A Thousand Sons > Prospero Burns
The First Heretic > Know No Fear
A couple others that aren't worth reading.

Flight of the Einsenstein happens directly after the end of Galaxy in Flames but it's a rather poor book that's really only there to establish James Swallow's pet character Garro, who only gets expanded upon in his audiobooks. I wouldn't recommend it.
Legion plays into Know No Fear, it establishes the Cabal and their motivations.

I'd say read Fulgrim instead of Flight of the Eisenstein. Though Eisenstein does fill in a bit about Mortarion in the beginning

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 23, 2012

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Are there any books which have in-depth stories about the primarchs pre-crusade. I'd love to read a novel about Mortarion on his hideous toxic death planet for example. So far the most detail I've seen is the old Index Astartes articles back when White Dwarf was worth buying.

The Prince of Crows novella that is out today has flashbacks to Cruze as a child on the streets.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

EyeRChris posted:

Do they need to fire Pariahs with melta charges strapped over 90% of their body at him at this point?

Yeah, basically. It took over 100 grey knights sacrificing themselves to banish Angron back to the warp. So yeah, self destructing pariahs, psymatrix armed psykers, 6 of one, half dozen of the other

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zephro posted:

They should definitely be included: they were GW's first ventures into spinoff books, and AFAIK Ian Watson remains the most high-profile writer who's ever written for GW.

Charles Stross actually wrote some short stories for them when he was starting out

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Man it is bullshit that the ebook version costs more than the paperback would. There is practically no overhead! And I doubt ADB is seeing a bigger cut of the profit as a result, so I can't even justify it that way

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 17, 2012

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Impaired Casing posted:

In regards to Khorne, I don't know if it is ADB who first presented it this way, but I love how he made that mindless bloodlust into something akin to murderous alzheimers.
That was Matthew Farrer in After Desh'ea who started treating Angron like someone suffering from Tourettes rather than just a hyperviolent freak.

The reviews here have me hopeful about Betrayer. I read After Desh'ea and listened to Butcher's Nails and liked Farrer's characterization of Angron a lot better than ADB's take. It sounds like ADB managed to harmonize the two takes on the same character.

Impaired Casing posted:

I can't figure out the Emperor for the life of me in terms of his choices in the Heresy. I understand that a lot of it is based on the lore of 40k, so he has to do X because it says it in codex Y, but some of it just seems silly.

It seems to be implied that the Emperor knew all about chaos and the warp, and then told the primarchs nothing. Magnus even said in Thousand Suns that he would run to the Emperor, eager to please his dad on finding out something knew about the great ocean, and the Emperor already knew, and told him nothing more. Well, if he dissapproved of Magnus's actions, why didn't he say something before he sent in Russ?

Plus, in the first books of the series, the daemons allude to the fact that the Emperor bargained with Chaos to make the primarchs, and then cut out of whatever deal he made. I have no idea if the daemon was telling the truth, but if the Emperor is as powerful and as wise as everyone thinks, one would think he'd keep a better eye on his various legions because Chaos seems to be the thing that would have a long memory.

And now, I am not sure if this is in the realm of speculation or if it's fact, but the Emperor made Horus Warmaster and retired to Terra to work on the webway, right? As his last gift to humanity, or something like that. That might explain why he was so short and distant from the Primarchs, but even then would it have killed him to say "Shhh, I'm doing this. It's a surprise so don't tell anyone!" Hell, I think Magnus realizes that he was supposed to take the Big E's place on the Golden Throne overseeing it when he was done, so why not clue him in on that.

I can't tell if all of this is just because of the preexisting backstory, poor character writing, or if it is on purpose to show that the Imperium worships a guy who wasn't as great and smart as they think he is.

Well ADB's next Heresy book will be The Master of Mankind, and it will be about the Emperor so we should get a resolution to those questions that we will probably find satisfying.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

I disagree - it's less trauma and more everyday life. It would be trauma to us because we can't imagine living in a situation where everything is potentially deadly, but if you grew up with it, it would become day-to-day life.

Demiurge4 posted:

I have to agree with this, take Fenris for example. It's a constant fight for the stable land that happened to rise out of the sea. Someone already living there? Well we need to live and so its us or them, kill 'em. They revere the Space Wolves as mythical heroes who sometimes show up to take the best of them to a place where they can fight wars forever. It's literally a warrior society that doesn't see war as trauma, but as the greatest pursuit a man can aspire to.

Sure they're all sociopathic monsters, but they're not kidnapped children afraid of everything before they're forced to join a legion.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Exactly - the fluff implies that everyone who is capable of survival on a Death World is a consummate badass. Weakness has been removed from the gene pool simply through Darwinian selection - it ain't scary, it's just life!

None of that means they aren't traumatized. A highly relevant quote I once saw was "the conceit of the West is the idea that there is post traumatic trauma. That is is something that only happens when you send people to fight int he third world, and not something their poor at home live in every day"

Kids from the really bad parts of the inner city show the same anger issues, distraction, paranoia, etc that we usually see in PTSD vets. And for them it is "just life". The human psyche evolved under a different set of conditions, and isn't set to handle that level of constant stress and threat.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

Edit: Also Lemarckian evolution isnt a real thing, you should know that.

Actually, it is. Lamarck was right to a degree. It just applies to epigenetics and possibly some of the proteome, rather than the genome. For epigenetics the mechanism is believed to be DNA methylation.

But that's not really relevant to the thread. Just cool science.

Mr.48 posted:

Its in the same ballpark, and its the only real evidence we have at the moment. You on the other hand have NO evidence to back up your position.

Also, you should know that I have a degree in biochemistry and am currently finishing another degree in neurobiology. I know this poo poo.
Might want to grab last December's issue of Cell then dude. The Columbia roundworm study is the article you are looking for.

EDIT: I forgot, Cell puts it online for free if it is more that 12 months old, and this just makes the deadline

http://www.cell.com/archive?year=2011 December 9th
Transgenerational Inheritance of an Acquired Small RNA-Based Antiviral Response in C. elegans

http://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674(11)01341-9

I always liked the happy face/frowny face on the roundworms

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 19, 2012

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

Epigenetics only really applies to evolution within the confines of the germ-line, so what Lemarck said really doesn't apply here.
Knowledge of the germ-line and Gregor Mendel's work didn't happen until 37 years after Lamarck's death, so that is a rather unfair criticism. All scientific theories are limited by the other knowledge available at the time

quote:

It gets press because its a pretty radical notion, but those pieces usually stretch the implications for evolution pretty far outside the actual science.
I am aware of the abysmal quality of science reporting, and how to trim away the bluster. That's why I cite the published articles, and not the sunday newspaper versions.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mikojan posted:

Lots of books have referenced wars or other occurences from the first 2 millenia. Often the names are changed slightly though.

One of the things I enjoy is trying to figure out who they are referencing. Sometimes it is real easy like "Crom's New Army" being a reference to Oliver Cromwell and the New Model Army. Some of them are a lot harder,like figuring out Pertuburo was a huge fan of Filippo Brunelleschi in Angel Exterminatus. (They call him Firenzii, which translates to "Florence", his home city, talk about his work in geometry and the iron cave - his famous iron dome - the fresco installed on the wall is from the dome, and one of the first returns for googling Brunelleschi's art is this, which has Pussin's Adoration of the Magi as one of its links.

Compare that to the description of another of Perturbo's paintings

quote:

work of a seated woman and her child in the centre of a circle of admirers while a great temple was rebuilt against a backdrop of fighting horsemen

But yeah, just one of the games I like :3:

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 19, 2012

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Big Willy Style posted:

I'm reading Space Marine at the moment. While it is pretty out of date I haven't read another book that goes into the detail of the transformation from human to astartes. Watson really focuses on the the marines interpretations of the changes going on. They also are really eager to get naked.

ADB was spitballing on his blog a while back about wanting to do the book about the creation of a new chapter. Everything from the administratium commissioning it, to the search of a suitable planet to draw their applicants from, selecting the geneseed strain that would be used, the entire transformation process, having veterans from other chapters come in and train them, getting the forgeworlds set up to arm, armor, and provision them, how they would select hierarchy given they were all equally new, and their first deployment.

I hope he gets to write it some day. I'd love to read his take on all of that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Finished Betrayer. Holy cow is that good. Angron went from being "angry man who is son ANGRY" to a tragic and in some lights heroic figure, hated and abused by everyone.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

EyeRChris posted:

Well lets look at the personality aspects of the known primarchs and pick which ones are lacking. I figure one of the lost primarchs was an inventor. The Scientist aspect of the Emperor. He created his world into a Utopia that surpasses the Imperium and had tech that made the tech of mars look like childs play. After the Emperor showed that by absorbing it he'd ruin the world the Primarch made he rebelled for the good of his people. The entire planet and all its tech was crushed under the weight of 3 legions.

I figured Mag us for the scientist.

The problem is we don't have anything fleshing out a few of them like ferrous man us and vulkan, and are unlikely to get any now that the focus is on battles as they move toward Terra and not the setup

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

BL probably has Abnett churning out HH books, since those are probably the bigger money makers right now.

HH, Bequin, and a big super secret project that will change everything that he is pushing the limits of his NDA by even saying there is a big super secret project that will change everything

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

Hmmm, I've not heard of this project...

there was a link to an interview about it and a discussion many pages back (October-ish?). People here were speculating, leading theories were either advancing the storyline or revealing the 2 primarchs. Personally I'm guessing it is the introduction of a new race, since 6th edition is rolling out and I don't see them doing those leading theories.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

mdemone posted:

If the Bequin trilogy leads into this kind of Emperor-related stuff and ties to Abnett's secret project, that will kick enormous rear end.

eh, if anything it will tie in to ADB's Emperor focused HH book "The Master of Mankind"

spootime posted:

Also, have any more details come out about the whole Dan Abnett NDA crazy game altering book thingy?
Nope. Given usual timelines on this stuff, I'd guess 2013 3rd quarter filings/September War Hams day event we will get something different but unnamed by Abnett mentioned on the release calendar, at least end of 2013 before we start seeing any hints of plot threads in other materials, and some time in 2014 we will start seeing active promotions. Longer if it has big cross promotions ties because they will need to coordinate across companies and distribution channels

That's just me speculating based off experience with how other big IP publishers run their ship though.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 29, 2012

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Scoobi posted:

Betrayer spoilers: Argel Tal can't really be dead, right? Isn't he supposed to get owned at the Eternity Gate by Sanguinius?

It was either a head-fake, or something changed when the editors were discussing things and the more recent books reflect it. Argel Tal's demon was Raum, and in Betrayer appears to be relatively minor. Fear to Tread brings in Ka'Bandha, who will be the Bloodthirster Sanguinius battles at the Eternity Gate. Argel Tal is dead, under darkened wings, just like was foretold.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Helicon One posted:

wait what oh god

I have heard literally nothing about this, and I'm not very up to date on Black Library things so don't know which of the spoiler tags from the preceding page are safe for me to reveal :ohdear:. Where is this coming from?
100% speculation. We know nothing except that Abnett is involved in a big world changing project. We don't know what it is, or when it will come out. In fact, we don't even know that it is book and fluff related. It could be business side. Possibilities:

* Now that THQ is dead (it has been dying for a while) BL is taking a special focus on where it goes forward with video games as an expanded revenue share. Abnett could be their writer, just like how Peter Watts and Richard K Morgan are for Crytek

* a new tabletop game that he is spearheading the fluff for. EG A Warhammer steampunk themed game to go along with their space opera and epic fantasy

* He is going the Grahman McNeill route and is being brought in-house by BL to be both a permanent writer and editor. Everything fluff and story related from here on out will get run by him for his help in directing the overall narration

* A codification and standardization of all Warhammer "canon". Instead of the system described here by ADB they are going to have aggressive continuity. That would certainly change how all the Warhammer stories are handled in the future.

A lot of possibilities flow from the statement "big secret project that will change everything"

By the way, here is what is on ADB's plate:

quote:

I’m currently getting close to finishing Blood & Fire, which is a little (well, a quite long, actually) tale featuring the words Season of Fire, Armageddon, Celestial Lions, Grimaldus, as well as the name of a certain Chapter that dresses in a blackish templarish way, and – of course – the name of a certain stormtrooper has been mentioned more than once.

After Blood & Fire, I’m starting The Talon of Horus, and I couldn’t be more psyched about it. Not much to say at this stage, except that the main character will be at the right hand of Abaddon through the fall of the Sons of Horus and the rise of the Black Legion, over the course of 10,000 years. Yeah, unless I get killed or banned from touching the IP, this series threatens to be a long one. If you’ve read Bernard Cornwell’s Warlord Chronicles (about “King” Arthur) or Steven Pressfield’s novels of Ancient Greece (Gates of Fire; Tides of War; The Afghan Campaign, etc.) then you’ll know the atmosphere.

The main character’s name is Inaros Khayon, though he has many, many, many titles by 999.M41, and hardly anyone knows his real name by then.
Also he estimated Master of Mankind will be ready in about a year, and that The Warmaster Chronicles will be cranked out of the next 15 years

Lot's to look forward to!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Revener posted:

Does this mean BL is going to start up an electronic development end? Or that they're going to work through Abnett with whoever they outsource to next?

I am 100% speculating on all of this, but I would guess the latter. They don't have the in-house capabilities to do the games, but they could say "this is our story liaison, he will write your script"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Nephilm posted:

Well, it's one of the (if not THE) most powerful bloodthirsters, and kicked the poo poo out of Sanguinius the first time.

But then at Terra, while Sanguinius is already beaten and bloody from holding Eternity Gate, the angel manages to defeat him for round 2. This gets him so pissed that he continues a vendetta against the Blood Angels well into M41.

It also breaks the offense against the Eternity Gate, leading to a total route of the traitor forces, and puts Horus in the position of "challenge the Emperor one-on-one and hope to win, or surrender and die"

Really, if the Emperor had remained as cold blooded towards Horus as he was towards everyone else and waited for the reinforcements to arrive and smash the remnants of the traitor forces while they were pinned by Earth, it would have been a lot better.